The one where Jiyong realize's his feelings

The slave boy

 

There was tension in the air; while Jiyong was kneeling with his head bowed to the floor in the prince’s chambers, Seunghyun was out front pacing back and forth, “What should I do Jong In-ah, he is going to hate me” he asked as he remembered how fear had paralyzed Jiyong so much that he had to be helped to the chambers.

Jong In on the other hand was at peace for the first time since Seunghyun had met Jiyong, he feared that if their blind friendship had gone on too long, someone was bound to be hurt, “Your highness.... he does not seem like the type that would do that. He would only be scared right now”. He appreciated Jiyong for allowing him see the side of the prince that he was not familiar with. “Do you see him”? Seunghyun had asked him when he brought word that Nara had entered the palace.

Seunghyun finally braced himself and walked into his chambers “Jiyong.....”

“Please kill me” Jiyong cried at the sound of the familiar voice; all the times he’d gotten into trouble, he had never once feared for his life like he currently did, especially as all the things he had said and did in front of the crown prince.

“Sorry I lied to you Jiyong” Seunghyun tried raising Jiyong’s head but Jiyong refused. “Jiyong, I never knew until you mentioned how lonely it must have been to be me, but I have been feeling less lonely since I met you” Jiyong raised his head slowly as Seunghyun spoke, shocked at the words. Situations like these usually called for some decapitation, not a confession.

“Your highness....” Jiyong was not sure what he was going to say next before Seunghyun spoke, “Call me Seunghyun” he said causing Jiyong’s eyes to widen; who would dare address the prince by his name? “Jiyong please” Seunghyun pleased, the situation they were faced with was one he never wanted in the first place, he loved how Jiyong interacted with him when he was supposed to be an ordinary noble. “Will you stay by my side in the palace to keep me company? It is quite boring here”?

‘Is he really the prince’? Jiyong thought, Prince’s were supposed to be bold and confident. Why would a prince want his company? “Your highness.... Forgive me but I do not wish to associate myself with you any longer” Jiyong bowed his head.

“Ji....”

“Your highness, the future crown princess is here,” A guard announced from outside.

“Send her in” Seunghyun responded, ‘Maybe he will be more relaxed if his friend was here’ he thought.

Nara walked in, and her heart broke at the scene before here; it was clear as day that her prince was the noble Jiyong always talked about from the earlier scene Jiyong had caused, and Jiyong was the one the prince continually talked about the day they met. She was determined not to lose the crown prince, especially when she loved him. “Jiyong, are you okay”? She quickly asked; Jiyong had his head bowed all the way to the floor. “Jiyong...”

“Please, if you are not going to kill me... let me go” Jiyong pleaded, a little embarrassed at his situation. He and Nara spoke a lot about his noble friend. “Please”

“I think you might have scared Jiyong a little” Nara laughed, trying her best not to notice the way her prince looked at Jiyong with so much worry, “Jiyong you may leave, wait for me at my chambers”

Jiyong took his time getting up, and after swaying a bit, he was finally able to steady his legs. The minute the doors were closed behind him, he scrunched down and griped his chest, as a sudden wave of fear mixed with something else he wasn’t familiar with, washed over him. ‘What is this’? He gripped his chest tighter.

Seunghyun sat beside Nara for a little while, trying to engage himself in a conversation with her until he couldn’t take it anymore and ran after Jiyong, leaving Nara with jealousy building in her heart. Jiyong was right in front of his chambers, squatting. He stood at a safe distance and waited for Jiyong to rise up and walk, and he followed him. He watched as the boy still swayed in his steps, sigh, pout, curse and kick sand. ‘So cute’ he thought as he hushed any servant that was about to greet him.

“Aish, why did he have to deceive me” Seunghyun heard Jiyong talking to himself. “Kwonnie hyungnim was right”. Jiyong’s cuteness could not get pass Seunghyun; he watched as Jiyong made his customary pout while he kicked tiny rocks on the floor. He occasionally stopped to let out a low scream.

They finally arrived at the princess’s chambers. “Jiyong-ah” Seunghyun finally called out, startling Jiyong for the second time.

“Your highness” Jiyong fell to his knees quickly.

“Can you really not see me as you did before”? Seunghyun moved in, and squatted before Jiyong, “I promise to forgive you for stomping on my foot”

“YAH”! Jiyong yelled, “You left me standing there for days, and.....” He stopped when he realized whom he’d been yelling at, while Seunghyun threw his head back in laugher.

“You were so angry” Seunghyun kept laughing, making Jiyong join in. “I was actually a little scared to approach you”.

“Really”? Jiyong laughed for a bit, till he remembered the noble’s excuse for not showing up. “I am sorry about the king”

“You should stay in the palace Jiyong.... I promise to protect you” Seunghyun moved in closer. “Kwon hyungnim can protect me” Jiyong felt more at ease talking to the prince.

“That stupid man, warning me to stay away from you after I carried you home when you were unconscious” Seunghyun grumbled, “He even punched me” he pointed to his cheeks, making Jiyong reach for them.

“But I don’t see anything”. Jiyong smoothed his fingers over Seunghyun’s face. He lied, there was a tiny red patch on his cheekbone area but he decided to cover up for Kwon.

“You believed me”

“Huh”? Their eyes locked.

“I thought you would take his side and not believe me but it seems like you actually believe me”

Jiyong knew all too well what Kwon was capable of, but it was the first time Kwon had ever lied to him, he was usually upfront about.

Seunghyun cleared his throat when he realized where they were making Jiyong retracted his hand. “Sorry your highness”

“Seunghyun. Say it”

Jiyong still refused. “Say it or I will have Kwon’s head”

“Seunghyun” Jiyong said without thinking; even if he could play with his own life, he would never risk Kwon’s. “Seunghyun! Seunghyun! Seunghyun!  Seung..... Hyun. Hyunnie” Jiyong giggled.

“Whoa, give you an inch, and you take a yard” Seunghyun laughed. “Hyunnie... I like it”

“It is too cute for you, your highness” Jiyong laughed using the back of his arms to cover his mouth.

Seunghyun took a step backward, “Whoa, I am more cute than your so called ‘Kwonnie hyungnim’” he mimicked Jiyong’s voice.

“I don’t sound like that”

They stood silently for a few minutes before Seunghyun finally spoke “Move into the palace Jiyong-ah”.

Although Jiyong wanted to, there were several reasons he couldn’t “I cannot”.

“What if I want to see you”?

“Then call for me; whenever you send for me, I will come” Jiyong smiled.

 

Nara watched the duo from afar; they seemed close, a little too close. Her heart burned at how comfortable they were with each other, even Seunghyun’s laughter was softer, and more genuine when he was with Jiyong than with her. ‘He needs to go’ she thought as she looked at Jiyong; she had always felt a slight jealousy for Jiyong. Everyone loved him, and liked his company; it was the one reason she gave him his freedom; he was all her brother ever talked about. Jiyong found love with his older brother Kwon, her brothers, even her father who considered Kwon a miracle. She was not going to lose the crown prince; Jiyong was going to have to understand.

“My prince” She walked toward the duo.

“Ah Ah My princess, you are here” Seunghyun walked up to Nara, grabbed her by the arm and lead her to Jiyong. “Try to make him stay huh”? Seunghyun stuck his tongue out to Jiyong, an action that surprised Nara. “You two should talk while I visit the king”

Both Nara and Jiyong bowed as Seunghyun took his leave. “Nara” Jiyong grabbed Nara’s arm, “Sorry I couldn’t enter the palace with you, I drank last night and....”

“Did you go drinking with the prince” They walked into her chambers together.

“Yes, Seunghyun and I....” He quickly realized his mistake and covered his mouth “His highness and I” There was something about Nara’s actions that made Jiyong uncomfortable. Nara unlinked her arms from Jiyong’s to sit on her side of the stool, while Jiyong sat opposite her. “So the prince is your noble friend”? Nara asked calmly, with a stiff smile on her face. She hated what was coming. “I know you are a great actor.... are you sure you didn’t know he was the crown prince until earlier”?

“Of course I did not Nara-shi”

“You cannot call me that anymore, it is your highness now” Nara said stiffly, she felt bad but she was scared of losing her the title she’d trained for all her life. “You also cannot stay here”?

For the first time since he knew Nara, he felt distant “Yes your highness”, he bowed. “I shall take my leave now”, he could not blame her, a little part of him always knew that it was never going to last.

“Jiyong”? Nara called just before Jiyong stepped out, “Do you love him”? She asked sadly, Jiyong shook his head slowly. “But I do Jiyong.... I really do. If you truly believe in love, you must believe in our love and you would stay away from the prince”.

Jiyong turned, “I love you Nara, I always will... You are my savior. I would never do anything to hurt you” his eyes were teary, “But I cannot stay away from the prince, even if I want to because he will always send for me” he said and left.

 

*********************************************************************

“YAH rat, your hyungnim is on his knees apologizing”! Kwon yelled, he had been caught lying, and Jiyong was a little scary when he was angry. “I cannot believe he reported, what a wimp”

“HYUNGNIM”!! Jiyong rushed to cover Kwon’s mouth; he decided not to tell Kwon about his new discovery. It was still a bit shocking to him, “Hyungnim, why did you lie”?

“I just want you to stay away from him” Kwon confessed, “I just don’t trust him; Jin Hee Nari has no living relative except for his son that he has ben looking for”

“Okay, let us forget him then” Jiyong smiled sadly, “Hyungnim, let us leave soon. I’m ready”

Kwon noted the sad look on Jiyong’s face but did not question it “Really”?

“Yes”

“WHOA”!!!!

 

 

Jiyong had turned in for the evening and was reading a book in his room when someone called out for him. He walked out to see the Jong In; the man who always followed the prince around.

“The prince has sent for you” Jong In bowed. Jiyong bowed back, “But.....” he was about to decline when Jong In cut him off. “He said that if you decline, he would make you his horse and ride you around the palace”. Jiyong noted the blush on the man’s face and was confused.

“Okay” Jiyong said before sliding his door shut, and walking with Jong In.

“He sent a palanquin” Jong In spoke when he saw Jiyong speechless, he could not blame the boy, even he himself was a little speechless when the price told him to take one of the finest palanquins.

“What about you”? Jiyong asked. “I will walk” Jong In said smiling before forcing Jiyong to get on it. On the way, Jiyong pulled down one of the side windows “What kind of person is the prince”? He asked Jong In.

“He is a great person, but he falls a little short when it comes to realizing his feelings for someone he holds close to his heart”

“Oh” Jiyong said before closing the window. He thought the eunuch was referring to Seunghyun’s feelings for Nara.

Jiyong was left under a gazebo that was close to Seunghyun’s chambers. While waiting, he took a peek around; the gazebo was beautifully built with two short bridges leading to the pavement, beautiful flowers also surrounded it. “You like”? There it was, the deep voice he had gotten accustomed to. “Your Highness” Jiyong bowed. “Seunghyun” Seunghyun corrected, “I guess you did not want to become my horse” he joked. “Please sit”

“Thank you” Jiyong said as he took his seat, Seunghyun sat beside him, both bodies touching.

“JIYONG-AH” Seunghyun yelled playfully before sighing, “Ahhh, the lump in my throat has gone down now that you’re here”.

Something was different about the prince, Jiyong noted, “Is there anything I can do to make you feel better”? Seunghyun turned to him, pleased that the boy had noticed his sadness. “Sing for me Jiyong-ah”, and as if on cue Jiyong started singing; his voice was so sonorous that Seunghyun had to stop him, he was not going to cry twice before the Jiyong when he knew the boy barely saw him as a man.

“The king’s health worsened again, so I have to go to the three day retreat tomorrow”. The three day retreat was a mandatory task all crown princes did before their marriage and coronation; there they meditated and asked for wisdom from late kings. What broke Seunghyun was that, his father had forced him to go; it was as if his father was giving up.

 Without words, Jiyong placed his hand on Seunghyun’s back patting him, which surprisingly made Seunghyun feel better. “You will not see me for a couple of days, I wish I could take you with me to keep me company” Seunghyun was surprised at his words; he was getting convinced that Jiyong was a witch.

“Uhmm.... I will be leaving with Kwon to China”

“WHY”! Seunghyun yelled as he rose up; people usually left to China, but those people were usually couples or family, but he knew just how close Jiyong was to Kwon, “Are you going to marry him”? He asked calmly, the lump was back in his throat. He felt like Jiyong was about to be stolen from him.

Jiyong rose up and walked to the other side of the gazebo, “You asked me once if I was jealous of Nara manim....”. Seunghyun took note of the honorific Jiyong used when speaking about Nara.

“Yes, and you said no because you have Kwon..... Does that mean you realized your love for him”?

‘No, I was never jealous of Nara until I found out that she was promised to you’ Jiyong thought. “Yes” he said instead. Growing up, he had learned how to stay within his limit; harboring feelings for the prince was nothing but a pipe dream.

“I thought you believed in love, but it turns out that you know not what love really is” Seunghyun laughed, despite the anger within him. Jiyong turned to Seunghyun, “Surprised?... I read all the western books in the Kingdom about love, and what I understand so far is that, there is a thin line between infatuation an love... a thin line between the feeling of being grateful, and love” Seunghyun smiled “Can I convince you to stay”?

“No”

“But I can command you” Seunghyun took a step forward.

“Yes but, that would be unlike you” Jiyong took a step back.

***********************************************************************

“Abuji, what do we do about this situation”? Jung Il asked angrily. The entire Kim family, with the exception of the mother was seated in Nara’s chambers. Nara herself was seating by a corner crying. “Look at what that insolent slave did to my sister... I should have killed him a while back”

They were about leaving after greeting Nara when they saw the prince’s palanquin enter the palace; they followed it so they could pay their respect to the prince but were taken aback when they saw Jiyong stepping out from it. They waited in a corner, and watched as Seunghyun joined Jiyong under the gazebo; they were hoping to listen in when Nara ran off, heartbroken. “This is your fault Nara” Kim said furiously, “You gave that boy too much freedom”! He added as he thought of a solution to their problem. “How that does he even know the prince”?

Nara told them of the situation in the middle of her tears. ‘Who exactly is this jiyong boy to have such luck’? Kim thought. “Jung Il, you know what to do” he nodded at his eldest son; his foolish first son was as dumb and sporadic but he knew how to get assassinations done. “The marriage and coronation has to take place the minute the prince gets back from retreat so that nothing can come in between the both of you”

“But... the king is still alive” Nara sniffled.

“That can be taken care of” Kim smiled, it was high time he became the father in law to the king.

************************************************************************

Seunghyun and Jiyong were still under the gazebo laughing at each other’s jokes until Jiyong decided it was time to leave; they argued for several more minutes because Seunghyun wanted Jiyong to take the palanquin but Jiyong was determined to go by himself. “Promise you’ll wait for me to get back until you leave, then I will let you go without a heavy heart”. Jiyong hesitated but finally gave in at Seunghyun’s pout; he had already accepted that he had come to like the prince a lot. “You know you can sleep here.... or I can send a guard with you”

“I promise I’ll be safe if I mind my own business”

Seunghyun smiled, “Which you never do..... Goodnight Jiyong”

“Goodnight your......” Jiyong saw Seunghyun shake his head, “Hynnie.... goodnight Hyunnie” he bowed and started walking away. He walked a few steps before turning around to ask, “Did you really read romance books”? A question that he’d wanted to ask for a while.

“Yes, and I thought about you the whole time” Jiyong smiled at that. He had walked out of the gazebo, and was standing on the right side of the bridge, and from where he stood, Seunghyun looked like he was glowing, reminding him of his status. “Good night” Jiyong bowed for the last time. Seunghyun smiled as he watched the Jiyong walk away “JIYONG-AH”!!! He yelled playfully “I AM GOING TO MISS YOU”!!. Jiyong never turned back; he increased his pace with his hands clutching his chest. “He could have at least acted like he was going to miss me,” Seunghyun grumbled.

 

 

“A prince Jiyong, he is a prince. You cannot allow yourself feel like that” He spoke to himself as he walked home. He was heading towards the cliff because he needed to think, “Also, he belongs to Nara” he sighed. He finally arrived at the cliff. “We meet again, finally”! Jiyong turned around, only to be faced with Jung Il who had followed him all the way from the palace.

“Nari” Jiyong took a step back, his heart racing. “What... what are you doing here”? Jung Il took a step forward, “I came to make you mine.... Nara is finally in the palace”

“Please Nari, you mustn't” Jiyong took another step back, but Jung Il took two steps forward. “So you can throw yourself at that bastard brother of yours, and the prince but not me”? Jiyong’s heart raced even more, “Why do you look down on me Jiyong? Am I not handsome enough for you”? With no other step to take since he was already at the end of the cliff, he tried running past Jung Il but was instantly grabbed and thrown to the floor, with Jung Il on top of him. “Nari.... Please don’t,” he cried. Struggling was useless; Jung Il was at least three times bigger and stronger than Jiyong.

“I promise to be gentle” Jung Il said raspy, as he ripped Jiyong’s trousers. “PLEASE STOP”!! Jiyong struggled this time. “Ahhh, your skin looks so tasty” Jung Il lowered his head to Jiyong’s neck when Jiyong yanked out a huge chunk of his hair making the big man scurry to his feet. “YOU SON OF A DOG” Jung Il bared his sword, ing it deeply through Jiyong’s torso. Jung Il's sword was coated with a herb that would first weaken a person, and then eventually stopped thier heart. 

Jiyong coughed out blood when the sword was retracted, “I will weaken you, and then make love to you roughly.... then I will kill you” Jung Il started disrobing. Jiyong gathered his strength and ran to the edge of the cliff “I RATHER DIE THAN LET A FILTHY BEAST LIKE YOU HAVE MY BODY”! His hands were over his wound to try stopping the blood loss, the taste of blood filled his mouth.

Jung Il laughed, “Fine, I can help you” he rushed to Jiyong with the intent of slashing his throat, but Jiyong let himself fall off the edge of the cliff before Jung Il had the chance.

‘Goodbye. My prince’ Jiyong thought during the free fall as he closed his eyes and welcomed death.

 

********************************************************************

‘Jiyong’!! Seunghyun’s heart suddenly leaped as he was going over the day’s ledgers. “JONG IN”!!

“Your highness”

“I just suddenly had a bad feeling” he confessed, “I wonder if Jiyong is okay. I want to send someone to check but he might get angry if he finds out, and that boy is scary when he is angry”

“Your highness, you should sleep soon. You have a long day tomorrow”

On the other side of the palace, Nara was crying into her palms.

***********************************************************************

Kwon got increasingly worried; he arrived at the shore at the time both he and Jiyong had agreed to meet only to have waited until the boat left, with no sign of Jiyong. It wasn’t until he barged into Jiyong’s room to find his sleeping back out, and a book on the floor, he knew that there was cause for alarm; Jiyong was not the type to leave his items rowdy. Kwon went into the palace and spoke to a nervous looking Nara, who said Jiyong had left the palace after greeting her. It wasn’t until he pressed the palace guard that he was told that they saw a boy of Jiyong’s stature, leave the palace late at night.

He visited everyone who knew Jiyong, including Woo Bin and his brothers who volunteered to join in the search.

“The cliff”! Kwon remembered, it was the first he ought to have checked so he ran there, ‘Jiyong please be safe, for me’ He prayed as he ran there. Upon arrival, there were a pair of shoes lying haphazardly; they were Jiyong’s shoes. He knew because he was the one he personally gave Jiyong, there was also dried blood on the floor… blood that lead to the edge of the cliff. “NO! NO! NO! NO!”

 

THREE DAYS LATER

 

“YOU HAD MY MEN SEARCHING FOR THE MISSING BOY FOR THREE DAYS”! Jin Hee yelled at the Kwon boy who looked more like a zombie than the man he left behind. His heart went out to the boy, no one knew more about losing a loved one than he did.

“Nari, please don’t call them off” Kwon cried, even without sleeping for the last three days, he was more energetic than ever.

Jin Hee shook his head; the boy was obviously dead with his body washed away. “Kwon” he placed an arm on the boy’s shoulder, “I know what you are going through, and trust me, this is the time when you should use all your anger to focus on work while you investigate what happened to the boy” He watched as the mighty Kwon broke down in tears, “I have decided to make you an official guard to the prince. Don’t fail me Kwon-ah”

Kwon nodded in tears, for the past three days he felt like he lost a part of himself, worst of it all ~ he felt like he had failed his mother.

 

 

“Send for Jiyong”!! It was the first thing Seunghyun yelled when he arrived at his chambers. “Your highness, you have had a long day” Jong In said sadly; the prince had given him some time to see his family when he left for the retreat so he knew the Jiyong situation.

“Send for him now, I bought him some ornaments I saw on the wayside” Seunghyun smiled as he imagined Jiyong refusing them.

“Your highness.......” Jong In fell to the floor. “Forgive me for relaying this news” Jong In cried.

“Speak..... Is the king okay”?

“The king is fine but... Jiyong..he...he has been feared dead”.

“LIES”! Seunghyun yelled. Sounds of his broken heart could be heard across several kingdoms, “.... what happened”? Tears poured out as he heard about how Jiyong’s shoes and blood were found by the cliff. “Bring Kwon here now”! He barked to Jong In as he made his way to Nara’s chambers. He was graced with laughter when arrived at her chambers; Nara had friends over, he peeked through the open doors as he quieted the guards, he noted how she seemed to have taken it well... If what Jong In told him were true.

‘You are not dead right, Jiyong you said you would come if I called for you’ he thought as he paced in his chambers. If anything indeed happened to Jiyong, it was going to be his entire fault; he should have sent a guard with Jiyong.

“Your highness, Kwon is here”. Without further ado, Seunghyun ran out. He ran out to the man standing with his head down, “Kwon, please tell me it isn’t true. Give me a cause to behead the eunuch for giving me such unnecessary heart ache”. Kwon did a double take when he realized his situation; the noble he had punched was the prince. “ANSWER ME”! Seunghyun barked when Kwon failed to provide an answer.

“Yes your highness” He bowed, and was appalled when the prince fell to his knees crying. “Your highness...” He pulled the Seunghyun’s up and took him into his chambers; the prince was never to show a weakness.

“It is all my fault. I should have sent a guard with him” Seunghyun broke some more.

“No” Kwon finally got over Seunghyun being the prince, “I never should have let him get too involved with you”. He had been wondering why anyone would ever want to hurt Jiyong so bad as to kill him, and seeing that Jiyong was connected to the prince, he finally understood but chose to remain silent.

“Henceforth, you are in charge of my affairs” Seunghyun said with a firm voice as he searched within his belongings for his seal, and placed it in Kwon’s arms. “Take all the guards you need, including men from the army if you need them. Find Jiyong”