The one where they meet again

The slave boy

 

 

Are you sure you don’t like this noble man, you have been brooding for two days now because he didn’t show up where you two were supposed to meet” Nara nudged Jiyong. 

“But I don’t” Jiyong argued, “I just hate when people don’t keep their promises” For two nights, he’d been waiting outside the palace but the noble man never showed.

“Just stop going then” Nara pitied Jiyong, he never knew how to let go of things; once he sets his mind to do something, he always stuck with it till the end. “What does your brother think of this”?

Jiyong never told Kwon; Kwon was the reason why Jiyong had only a few close friends; everyone found him intimidating. “He doesn’t care”

Nara laughed, “You obviously haven’t told him”. She knew everything about Jiyong, “Your life is so much fun” she cried. “And here I am about to get married to a man I have never met before”

“But a prince.... you’re going to be a queen”

“Jiyong how can you say that when you put the idea of love in my head” Nara laughed, Jiyong was the smartest boy but somehow he turned foolish whenever he spoke about love.

Jiyong bowed his head “I know.. but your case is different, it has to be.... I keep hearing about a shaman foreseeing that you were going to be a queen. So that means, the prince will love you and keep you by his side”

Nara knew all too well about the shaman, but what her father failed to tell her was what came after, she had to overhear some servants talking. She heard about her father killing babies, and she couldn’t help but feel guilty. “Hey” Jiyong said “You know it’s not your fault... your father made that decision, not you” Jiyong knew what she was thinking.

“Alright, alright.....” Nara changed the conversation. “So, is your mystery noble man handsome”?

He was handsome all right; truthfully, he had one of the most handsome face Jiyong had ever seen. “No he isn’t”

“Liar”

They laughed and bickered for a little while until Jiyong was ready to leave; he had to work, and his uncle was expecting him.

“I hate when you have to leave”

“Me too” He said truthfully; Nara was great company.

Jiyong was leaving the compound when he ran into Jung Il, Nara’s eldest brother. “The boy who is supposed to be mine” Jung Il moved close to him, groping his buttocks “Uhmm.... firm as I remembered”

“Nari” Jiyong learned how to block everything about Jung Il from his mind, in his head, there was no one there talking to him, or even touching him. It was the only way he could keep himself from crying, men like Jung Il preyed on weak people, and he was not going to give him the luxury.

Jung Il moved closer to Jiyong “You even still smell good” He said as he sniffed Jiyong’s hair. “I can’t wait for my sister to be married so you would be mine”

“I will never be yours” Jiyong said firmly, though his insides had turned to putter.

“Oh yes you will” Jung Il laughed. “You will be mine soon, and i will take you every night just like I was supposed to all those years ago”. Marriage did not keep Jung Il from lusting over his sister’s slave, there were times when he pictured Jiyong when being with his wife, and he blamed Jiyong for it. If Jiyong had gone to him, he wouldn’t have to be pining over some little feminine boy. “I see you walking around, flirting with those men in your father’s house, and that insolent brother of yours”.

 

*************************************************************************

 

“Your highness, it’s been days. I don’t think he would be waiting for you” Jong In said to Seunghyun as he prepared to leave the palace. The night he was supposed to meet Jiyong, his father’s illness reached its peak, and he thought it was going to lose him until he got better the previous night.

“I need this one night, don’t you think”?

“Okay” Jong In said after thinking it through; Seunghyun had been having sleepless nights, he barely ever even smiled since his father’s sickness took a turn for the worse “What about the guards”? Jong In asked.

“No.... Just you”

“What if he is not there”?

“He will be” Seunghyun smiled. “Or I will visit where he lives”.

They made their way out through the back gate to the spot they were supposed to meet, and lo and behold, there the boy was; he was gently kicking sand with his head down, and a pout on his lips. “Isn’t it a little too dangerous to be here by yourself this late at night”?

Jiyong heard the voice and was instantly filled with rage “YOU” Jiyong walked up to Seunghyun and stomped on his feet.

“Argh” Seunghyun scrunched down to his feet, massaging the pain. “What do you think you’re doing”?

“I waited for you, every night I waited for you” Jiyong was fuming. “The deal is off, go around by yourself”!!!

“Please wait” Seunghyun was still nursing his feet.

“I am done. I do not need any more friends, nor do I more nobles bossing me around”

“My father was sick” Seunghyun said, loud enough for Jiyong to hear. “Did you hear me... my father was very sick”. he finally rose.

“Don’t lie” Jiyong turned to face Seunghyun. “Which means you lied to me because my hyungnim works for Kwon Jin Hee, and he is far from sick........ Also, I never heard of a son”

Seunghyun had to think of a quick response “That’s because he is actually my uncle but he has been taking care of me so I consider him a father..... But my real father is sick”

Jiyong finally softened a bit. “So where do you want to go”? He was all to familiar with uncle’s that were like fathers.

Seunghyun looked at Jiyong, confused. “That’s it? You are not going to ask questions”?

“No... I did not look much at your face when you first approached me, but just now when I did... I could see how tired you look” Jiyong raised his hands to Seunghyuns face, his face was so pale. “You look very tired, like you have been crying”

Seunghyun’s eyes were fixed on the boy before him; his finger felt soft against his skin. “Your bruises are almost entirely gone” Seunghyun also raised his hand Jiyong’s face, smoothing over where some of the major bruises used to be.

“Yes... Because of the ointment you gave me”. Jiyong said breathlessly, he was feeling lightheaded all of a sudden, and he fell back slightly but Seunghyun caught him.

“Hey” Seunghyun was concerned. “Are you okay.... are you hurt anywhere”?

Jiyong was embarrassed “Yes” he regained his footing and stepped away from Seunghyun.

Seunghyun wasn’t fooled, he reached out for Jiyong but Jiyong stepped aside. “I have the perfect place.... have you ever been to a late wedding”?.

Seunghyun had never been to a wedding but he could not care less “Are you sure you’re okay”?

“I already told you, I’m fine” Jiyong argued. “Let’s go”

They walked silently, with Seunghyun taking side-glances at Jiyong once in a while “So where are you taking me”?

“I heard there is a wedding going on”. Jiyong’s head was still reeling from the past event.

“Fine” They walked some more. “Tell me about you and Kim Nara, I want to know about your relationship with her”

And that Jiyong did; he told Seunghyun a more polished version of how he met Nara. Leaving out parts about Jung Il, and how he was originally supposed to be a chamber servant. “We are here”

“Where is this”? They were surrounded by a large amount to well dressed people.

 Jiyong laughed; weddings usually had the best foods. “We are going to have to sneak in”

Seunghyun’s eyes widened, “Why would I do that”?

“  Because it’s fun, and we don’t have an invitation”

Seunghyun looked around, “Wait here” He had an idea.

Jiyong watched as the noble whispered something in the ears of a couple who was about to make their way in, and as if it was magic, their eyes widened and they handed him their invitation. “How did you do that”?

“My looks I guess” Seunghyun lied. “There is one problem, the invitation is for a couple, so.....”

“I guess we have to sneak in”

“No... The lady told me, there was a tailor who sold nice hanbok’s around here”.

“But, it’s late”

“Follow me” Seunghyun pulled Jiyong by the arm till he got to the house. He went in by himself, spoke to the lady and got her finest attire. “She will dress you” He pulled Jiyong inside the house while he waited outside with Jong In who could not hide his smile. “Stop thinking dirty things now”!

 

“I am sorry for the inconveniences” Jiyong apologized as the woman dressed his face with white powder, the expensive kind that Nara used.

“No I should be thanking you” The lady smiled. “I can die happy because of you, you brought him here”

Jiyong was confused. “Well... Thank...You”

“You must have saved a country in your past life, my child.... You should hold on to him”

“Uhmm... We are just acquaintances” He felt uneasy.

“All done” She turned Jiyong to a mirror. “I can tell how much he values you, even though he as no idea. Now go out there”

“But I can’t leave without paying you”

“You don’t have to... Just remember me in the future” she smiled.

 

‘What is taking them so long’ Seunghyun thought as he paced back and forth the tailor’s house. “Hyunseung Nari”! He heard the boy’s voice, but when he looked up it wasn’t the boy, it was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

“Why do you keep looking at me like....”

“You’re beautiful,” He said before Jiyong could finish his sentence. “Uhhh..” Seunghyun coughed.

“Thank...you” Jiyong stepped down; the way the noble looked at him flustered him. “Shall we go”?

They walked back to the venue, slower this time. The air was a little awkward between them now “May I ask what you told the old lady, and the couple”?

“No... “ Seunghyun said as he placed Jiyong’s arm in his “Don’t worry, I just want us to look like a Mr. and Mrs. Dong”

“I can’t believe we’re doing this” Jiyong whispered to Seunghyun as they walked in. It was a grand wedding, great food, great show, but the only person Seunghyun’s eyes were on, was Jiyong. The way the boys eyes lit up when he saw something funny, or how delicately he ate his food, the noble life suited him. “Whoa did you see that”? Jiyong would grab his arm whenever he saw something amusing.

The wedding was soon over, and the duo made their way to a lake Jiyong had suggested. “So Jiyong, how old are you”?

“I’m not sure but I think I am around eighteen years of age” Again Jiyong told the story of how he never knew his date of birth.

“You’re just full of mystery aren’t you” Seunghyun laughed, as they both sat on the shore.

“Yes... lie back, and look the stars. It makes it much better”

Seunghyun watched the stars. “Thank you for tonight, I was so stuffed back at home”

“I am so sorry, I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better” Jiyong said sincerely.

“You’ve done enough, your presence made everything feel better” It was comfortable with the boy. “I don’t know what I would do if something were to happen to him, there is just so much for me to do.... there’s so much I don’t know. What if I’m not able to follow his footsteps... Sorry to bother you”

“But you aren’t” Jiyong lay sideways, using his hand to anchor his head. “I know I just met you, and I admit I thought you were a little ignorant, but something about you changed tonight. The Hyunseung Nari I met tonight would be able to do anything he puts his mind to”

Seunghyun loosened up, he turned to imitate Jiyong’s posture. “Thank you, but there is just too much. Also, I am supposed to marry this girl who I haven’t met before, and I am okay with that but I just realized that I wouldn’t see her until the day of the engagement”

“Easy, ask for a meeting. Contact the family and schedule a one on one with her”

It a good idea, Seunghyun thought. “You’re both smart and beautiful” Seunghyun flashed Jiyong another longing look ‘If only he was a girl from a decent family’ “Maybe I should tell the crown prince to meet up with Nara”

“Maybe you should” Jiyong lay back down, facing the sky.

“You say you grew up with Kim Nara, the most beautiful girl in the kingdom and future queen.... do you ever get jealous”? Seunghyun kept watching Jiyong.

“Not really, I have one thing that she doesn’t” Jiyong said proudly. “I have Kwon, the person who protects me”. Kwon made him the man he was.

“And let’s not forget me..... I protected you, and I would henceforth” Being with the boy was comforting.

“Not the same, you....” Jiyong started saying when he heard a familiar figure approaching them; making him quickly roll on top of the noble and lowered his head till their faces were only an inch apart. “Wha.... What are you doing”? Seunghyun asked with wide eyes, but failed to move.

“Shhhh... Please” Jiyong pleaded.

“Nari, it’s just some young” Kwon heard his junior say from behind him. Since Jiyong had been attacked, he joined the night patrol. He was patrolling the lakeside when he could have sworn that he heard Jiyong’s voice. He walked toward the couple. “Nari, let’s give them their privacy” the junior said once more, he had been staring at the intimate couple for too long.

“Forgive me” He bowed lightly before turning away. “We should stop by my uncle’s bar. I have to check on Jiyong”.

The junior blushed, turning around once in a while to a peek at the couple “Aren’t the girls these days too bold”?

 

“I have to go” Jiyong scrambled to his feet as soon as Kwon was out of sight. “Tomorrow”? He ran away before Seunghyun had the chance to answer, leaving Seunghyun rooted to the floor.

 

The next day passed quickly, and Jiyong was left waiting by the tree once again as Seunghyun never showed up, and after the long day he had working at his uncle’s, he decided to wait till the next day to see Nara.

Jiyong slowly walked into the Kim’s house the following day to find the compound in an upheaval; there were food everywhere, and the workers seemed happy for once.

“Ahhh, Jiyong you’re here” So Hyun, a kitchen worker and one of Jiyong’s close friends ran up to him. “Agassi is moving to the palace” She said joyfully whist stuffing her face with bread.

Jiyong took one more glance around the compound before speaking “What happened”?

“Just yesterday, the prince sent for Nara manim, and....”

“JIYONG”!!! Nara called from afar, making Jiyong run to her. She pulled him into her room, “Jiyong-ah” She squealed.

“Nara”? Jiyong was still confused, he watched her as she spinned around the room several times laughing, sighing, humming.

“I’m in love Jiyong” She finally stopped. “I met him.... the prince he sent for me... he said that a close friend of his suggested that he met me first” Jiyong listened tentatively. ‘Hyunseung’ he thought as he smiled inwardly; his new noble friend had obviously listened to him, it flattered him. “He was so handsome, and gentle.... I love him Jiyong” Nara continued, head in the clouds. “I was about leaving when he held me back, and kissed me.... he said he’d fallen for me and that I could move into the palace in three nights so i could prepare for our engagement”

He was not surprised, anyone would be a fool if they didn’t fall in love with Nara, and she was obviously a goddess. “Nara you’re so lucky” He took her hand in his. “And you thought he would not be handsome”

“No Jiyong, he is so handsome, but.... he kept on talking about his friend” Nara’s attitude dulled a bit “I know I am not going to be the only person by his side but I can’t help but feel jealous, I don’t want to share him, especially with a man”

Jiyong suddenly remembered the noble mentioning that he was the only friend the prince had, and so he told Nara. “WHOA! We are best friends, and we can marry them. That way we would be inseparable” Her demeanor brightened again.

“But i am going to marry Kwonnie hyungnim” Jiyong said immediately; since the previous night, flashes from the time when he and the noble were in a close compromising position had been playing across his mind, making him realize that he needed to stop seeing him before it got too deep. He was going to be grateful for the friendship. “Also, he is about to be married and no girl would ever say no to him”.

“Do you have feelings for him”?

He laughed, “No, it’s the way he talks to me, the way he listens to me... no one except you and Kwon listens to me that way”

“Jiy...”

“He usually says things that are irritating but then he goes and says something meaningful, and anyone can tell that he obviously cares about his father. I...”

“JIYONG”! Nara yelled, finally getting his attention. Her friend obviously had feelings for this mystery man but was too stubborn to see it. “So when are you meeting him next”?

“Never” He smiled sadly, he knew better than to get close to a noble. “Nara I dare not dream about falling in love with a noble when i have no background. Even marrying Kwon would be a blessing”

 

Everything had taken a turn for the better for Seunghyun; his father felt better, his future queen was everything he hoped for and more, he couldn’t wait to tell his new friend. His future queen was both beautiful and smart, and of course had a great bosom but he was a little disappointed by the kiss; he expected more flare ‘Aish, what has that boy put in my head’ he thought as he took his customary walk through his side of the palace. He stopped by the wall of the palace that separated the place he and Jiyong usually met.

“Your highness, are you not going out to meet him”? Jong In asked, truthfully, he had begun to like the little boy.

“So now you want me to go”? Seunghyun laughed, “I thought you never.....wait.....do you like him”?

“Kill me now your highness” Jong In dropped to his knees “How dare I like someone you long for” he tearlessly cried out.

“Like?... Don’t kid me; he is the one that longs for me. Did you see how he attacked me by the lake”? Seunghyun got serious.

“But” Jong In rose to his feet. “He only did that because he was hiding from the one he loved, so that the one he loved would not misunderstand”

Seunghyun let out a huge sigh, with his hand on his hips “RIDICULOUS, he only did that because he has feelings for me. Why would he love the officer, he is ugly and he has frown lines. I am much better looking”

“But...”

“I am sure he is out there by the tree waiting for me again”. After much argument, mostly on Seunghyun’s part, they changed and snuck out of the palace.

“He is not here your highness, should we wait in case he turns up”? Jong In asked tying to hold in his laughter.

“You’re laughing”? Seunghyun turned to the eunuch. “I will have your head”. Jong In immediately stopped. “I am going to his house”

They both marched to the house the boy lived, upon arrival, they heard loud music, and excessive chattering. Seunghyun stood by the corner and took a peek in to the house; men were playing the instruments while indecent women and men were dancing to the tunes entertaining some nobles. Seunghyun searched the light crowd for a familiar boy, and saw him when a noble yelled. “Jiyong-ah, shouldn’t you be dancing with them”. The man was fat, and short. Seunghyun made his way slowly to where Jiyong was. “Nari, I am just here to serve” he heard the boy say politely, regardless the sad look in his eyes. Seunghyun stood at a corner where Jiyong couldn’t see him. “Jiyong-ah...” the man laid his hand on Jiyong’s buttocks and squeezed it. “Nari please stop” Jiyong said as the man pulled Jiyong to his seat on his lap, making the other nobles laugh.

“TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THAT BOY NOW”!!! Unable to stay quiet, Seunghyun yelled. Thankfully, the music was too loud to draw the attention of the entire crowd; only the people closest to him witnessed his rage. He moved closer to the boy, and pulled him up. “What do you think you’re doing”? The fat man yelled. He noticed the boys widened eyes at him, but his attention remained on the fat pig “Try stopping me from walking away with this boy right now, and I swear I will take your life and those of your kin” he threatened. The man was all filth and fat, but Seunghyun knew he was smart for the way he immediately backed down. Without a word, he pulled the boy across the crowd till he left the compound. “Jong In”! Seunghyun called for the eunuch who was equally as surprised as Jiyong.

“Sir”?

“Find what household that man belongs to” Seunghyun said as he pulled Jiyong along, not sure where he was headed.

 

Kwon was beyond exhausted, although he was a royal guard, he was still shut out from the royal affairs. Kwon Jin Hee still did not trust him enough to let him in on the royal affairs. He also felt distant from Jiyong; Jiyong was hiding something from him, he could tell.  Finishing all his work early, he quickly made his way to his uncle’s house.

Kwon was arriving at the house when he saw a noble pulling Jiyong out, Jiyong's head was down, almost as if he was crying "Where do you think you are going with my Jiyong" Kwon yelled as he pulled out his sword "Drop that hand now"! He was tired of nobles harassing Jiyong everywhere he went.

"Hyungnim NO"! Jiyong yelled blocking the noble. Kwon was confused; Jiyong had never tried to stop him. 'Where have I seen him before' Kwon wondered.

"Jiyong what are you doing, step aside"!

"No hyungnim, he saved me" Jiyong ran toward Kwon "Kang Nari was harassing me again" he took the sword from Kwon.

"I am going to kill that man, where did he touch you"? Kwon asked as he took Jiyong's face in his hands.

"I was so irritated, but uncle told me never to be rude" He had gotten used to Kwon always coming to his rescue that it was like a habit.

"I promise I will arrive sooner if it ever happens again huh"? Kwon pulled Jiyong in for a hug. "I told you to never go out there at night rat"!

Jiyong whined a bit "I stayed out so I could see you sooner Hyungnim" he playfully slapped Kwon on his chest.

    Seunghyun stood at the side watching the scene before him "Your highness, I think we should give them some privacy" Jong In said quietly. He saw a hurt expression on the prince's face but he chose to ignore it. They walked away, with Seunghyun still taking a few glances back incase the boy remembered that he was there but there was no such thing.

"What an ungrateful brat"! Seunghyun yelled after being quiet during their walk back to the palace.

"Who"? Jong In feigned ignorance, although Seunghyun was the petty type, it was the first time anyone had ever had a strong impact on him. Even the future queen, in all her beauty and tenderness, did not leave  huge impact on the prince; all he wanted to do was tell his new found friend about his encounter.

"Jiyong, who else..... He ran into another man's arms after I saved him, I should have left him there to be harassed" Seunghyun yelled louder "He couldn't even say 'Whoa Nari, you're strong, you are my protector'" he said mimicking Jiyong's voice.

"Maybe he did not see your face"

"Lies"! Seunghyun snapped as he sat on his desk, "Find me that young man, he was dressed as a royal official. Bring him to me in the hour of the horse, how dare he draw his sword at me"! He couldn't decide which hurt him more; the fool for drawing his sword or the brat for running away from him.

"Your highness, forgive me but do you perhaps having feelings for the boy"?

"Feelings"? Seunghyun's eyes were fixed on the eunuch. "What feelings? Have you seen how beautiful my future wife is, why should I care for a slave"?

"But..."

"Shut up!... And why do you keep asking for forgiveness when you are going to stay something stupid regardless.... Leave.... Go to sleep"!!!

Jong in remained in his position "But I only go to sleep after you are asleep" he pouted.

"But I don't want to see your face"! Seunghyun said calmly, but the eunuch still remained where he was. He rose up to where the eunuch was, and pushed him out. "Don't struggle"! Seunghyun yelled. He finally pushed the eunuch out “Slit his throat if he tries to enter” Seunghyun told the guards before sliding the door behind him.

He walked back to his desk; he supposed to be briefed on the matters of the land the next day, but he had yet to look over the ledgers that had been sent to him, and he was going to get to it right after he got the image of how the slave boy locked in the official’s arms out of his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hate it?/ Love it?

Thanks for reading and subbing sweethearts. <3