The one where Jiyong is drunk

The slave boy

 

First of all, let me apologize  for how lazy this chapter is~~~ I am vacation right now and............yeah......there's no excuse :( 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

 

      Kwon Jin Hee had gone from a loving man, who doted on his wife to a hardened man who hardly ever smiled after spending almost two decades looking for his son all to no avail. The morning after, when he was sure he wasn’t being watched, he had quickly gone in search for his child in the house of the midwife, but heard from the neighbor that she had been killed while trying to hide a baby. He did not believe that Sa Rang was dead until he saw her body. It was his fault that she was dead; he had singlehandedly put the woman’s life in danger, and his son was nowhere to be found.

       Jin Hee had searched all four corners of the kingdom for his son but he was nowhere to be found; other people may have given up but he was sure that his Jiyong was alive. The problem was, there were a lot of Jiyong’s~ There was a Jiyong who had the same eyes as his wife but the problem was that he was the brother of one of his worker, also that Jiyong was a slave, his son would never be a slave; his son is noble born.

      He wanted to retire, and to spend the rest of his life in search of his son but he could not leave the King while he was sick, and the prince while he would need all the help he could get when the time comes for him to be king. He had his eyes on Kwon, his personal assistant; the boy was a hard worker but his problem was his loyalty to his brother Jiyong. When pull comes to shove he knew the Kwon boy would run to Jiyong rather than stay by the king’s side, and he was not sure if he was ready to risk that. The Jiyong boy was the most problematic child he had ever come across; he often stole from vendors to give to the poor, stood up to corrupt nobles when he had no business doing so. He was one stubborn person, which was another reason he reminded him of his sweet wife.

“Kwon” He approached the boy, it was evening time and he got word that the prince was searching for the Kwon boy. “The prince sent for you”

Kwon was shocked; he had no connection to the royal family “Nari....”

“Keep your head up” Jin Hee barked. “The prince is no one to be scared of, he probably read my reports and wants you to be his royal adviser, just like I am his father’s”. Aside from him, Kwon had made the most arrest so it was only normal that his name would show up in all ledgers involving crime.

Kwon did as he was told; he made his way to the palace and went right to the prince’s chambers. He informed the guard of whom he was and was immediately told to wait outside for word from the prince.

“He is outside right now”? Seunghyun asked. He’d been waiting all day for this moment. The moment he would have the official kneel before him.

“Your highness” Jong In asked, he was worried.

“What is wrong now? Do you want to go back to sleep”? Seunghyun reached for his sword. “What position should I take? I could stand revealing my sword, or sit with my sword right beside me”

“What if he tells he boy of your identity” Jong In said, finally getting Seunghyun’s attention “If he does, the boy would treat you the way the rest of us do, he might even convince the boy not to see you anymore”.

Seunghyun dropped the sword “I never thought about that” he wasn’t ready to lose Jiyong. “I never thought about what would happen if Jiyong found out”. Jiyong was the only person he didn’t have to act responsible around. “Nara is moving in, in the morrow,” He remembered. “What if she brings the boy with her, he is going to think I deceived him”

“I am sure he would understand, your highness”

“I don’t know”

 

Kwon waited a long time before he was finally sent back, without seeing the prince. He was both confused and angry, and he knew just the place to go to feel better. It was around the time Jiyong would be leaving Nara’s house so he decided to meet up with Jiyong.

 

Jiyong was skipping out of the Kim house when he saw a familiar figure leaning by a nearby tree “Kwonnie hyungnim”?

“Hey rat,” Kwon opened his arm for a hug, “I was thinking about walking you home. I have to work soon so I want to spend time with you”

“Thank you. But no one would speak to me now”. Jiyong said as he linked his hand with Kwon. They walked home together, Kwon told Jiyong about the prince’s rudeness although Jiyong chose not to believe it, and he believed that something came up with the prince.

“Jiyong, stop giving people chances” Kwon argued.

“I do not”

“Nara” It was all Kwon had to say; Jiyong was too convinced about Nara’s love for him, but he begged to differ. On several occasions, she had Jiyong cover for her when she did something she was not supposed to do, which usually got Jiyong in trouble. “Jiyong I think we should leave for China when she moves into the palace”.

The statement made Jiyong stop, Nara was his best friend and he was not prepared to leave her. Also, he had found a new friend in the noble man “Kwonnie hyungnim, I cant. Not yet”

“Ji...”

“Please, I promise to leave with you when the time comes”. Kwon knew better than to argue, Jiyong’s pout was his week point.

“Jiyong” Kwon grunted. “That noble from yesterday.... did you know him before the time he dragged you out like that? I know you wouldn’t just follow anybody” He wanted to ask Jiyong about the noble when he took him back to his room, the night before but Jiyong seemed like he had a lot on his mind.

“Yes, he is my friend”

“Jiyong” Kwon turned Jiyong to face him. “I don’t want you to see him again,” he said firmly

“Not again” Jiyong breathed, “You cannot keep telling me who to be friends with”.

“I just don’t want to see you get hurt... Nobles like that always look for something, and when they are done, they would never marry you” It was something he saw all the time, there was something about Jiyong that drew people to him, at times he found himself wishing that Jiyong was born ugly with a hunchback.

“Because I was a slave, because I am not good enough, because I am ugly”? Jiyong raised his voice; he knew there was going to be a huge fight.

“Jiyong you know you’re far from ugly, and you are more than enough” Kwon sighed; Jiyong was so naive. “Jiyong I am only trying to protect you”

“WHY”! It was time for the question he always wanted to ask Kwon. “Why do you have the need to keep protecting me, you keep smothering me. I don’t need you”!

“I do not care if you need me or not” Kwon yelled this time. “I NEED TO PROTECT YOU BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN DO THE ONE LAST THING MY MOTHER WANTED ME TO DO, SEEING AS SHE DIED TRYING TO PROTECT YOU”! He said it; there was no going back. Jiyong had tears in his eyes,

“What”?

“Jiy...”

“You lost your mother because of me”? Every time he’d asked Kwon how they had come to be brothers, Kwon always said that he found him a forest and decided to take him home.

 Without another word, Jiyong turned around slowly before breaking into a quick run, leaving Kwon regretful of his choice of words. ‘I am so sorry Jiyong’ He whispered, knowing fully well that Jiyong always needed his space whenever he was sad. Jiyong was not someone who always cried, so seeing Jiyong cry like that, broke his heart to pieces. It was the prince’s entire fault, if he had not made him wait all day, he would have been in a better mood.

 

“Your highness, isn’t it becoming a habit”? Jong In asked as they snuck out of the palace again.

“This is the last time, I promise” Seunghyun said hastily. “Nara is moving in in the morrow, I think it’s best to tell Jiyong now so he wouldn’t die of a heart attack”

“What about the official, if he sees you before the boy does, he might kill you”

Seunghyun stopped to think, “Well you will have to save me”

“Huh”? Jong In stopped.

Seunghyun made his way to the usual spot only to find the boy seated; legs crossed, and his head bowed. “Jiyong...” He was unsure whether to approach the boy. “Jiyong, are you okay”?

“Much better now, I was beginning to think that you were going to stand me up again” The boy rose to his feet with a smile on his face but Seunghyun wasn’t fooled.

“Jiyong... what happened”? Everything about the boy was worrisome; although he seemed strong, he seemed like an obvious prey. “Who made you cry”?

“None of your business, there is a fire parade. I will take you there but I have to stop somewhere first”

“If it’s none of my business, why are you here”? The boy was infuriating. “Why come here when you know I will see you”?

“I don’t know” Jiyong answered truthfully; when he ran away, this was the one place he wanted to be, not the cliff which was his usual place. “I just wanted to come here, but I don’t want to talk”

Seunghyun gave up, “Okay, I will go wherever”

Jiyong could see the side-glances that Seunghyun gave him, but he decided to keep his eyes forward. There was something about his eccentric new friend that he found calming. “We are here” Jiyong announced after several miles of walking; Jiyong had stopped to buy some food, and even steal some, which made Seunghyun laugh ‘If only he knew who he was stealing in front of’.

“What is this....”? Seunghyun was asking when three huge men ran out of the small house. “OMO”! He hid behind Jiyong who was smiling away.

“MY FRIENDS”!!!! Jiyong squealed as he ran toward them, and squealed some more as they picked him up, throwing him from person to person like he was a Frisbee. “Whoa my friends are getting bigger”

Seunghyun took a longer look at the men “Bigger? They look like mountains” They must have heard him because one suddenly rushed toward him, grabbing him by the neck before he had the chance to escape.

“What is this filthy pig doing here”? He biggest asked as he tightened the grip around Seunghyun’s neck. “Nobel filth’s are not welcomed here”

“Snap his neck hyungnim” Another said.

“NO”!! Jiyong wriggled down from where he was carried. “He is my friend”, just like that Seunghyun was dropped to his feet, gasping for air. “YAH Woo Bin-shi”! Jiyong scolded as he ran to Seunghyun’s aid.

Seunghyun was still clearing his throat when he saw the same monster who almost killed him turn into a baby; Jiyong had the Sasquatch by the ear, it was surprising how he even reached it. “Apologize to this kind Sir, who followed me all the way here”

“I am sorry” The man bowed, and Seunghyun bowed back, but still afraid to go too close.

“How is Omma, is she getting better”? Jiyong faced the second biggest brother.

“No, but she had been asking of you. We thought you weren’t coming today”.

They all went in. Seunghyun was surprised at the state of the house where they all lived; even palace slaves lived better. Jiyong left him alone with the mountains to visit their mother.

“Why don’t you register to join the army? They pay good, and you will be able to take proper care of your sick mother”. Seunghyun spoke after a while of being silent, but was answered by a round of laughter as they were eating the food Jiyong got them. “Did I say something wrong”?

“They have lost faith the land” Jiyong suddenly appeared; he was cleaning the room.

“But why, the king needs men like them now more than ever”? Seunghyun argued. His father was one of the best kings, everyone loved the royal family, or so he thought.

“Yes, the king they love.... but right now, the kingdom is being ruled by the corrupt Norons and Sorons”

That was false, he himself was in charge of the kingdom; everyday, he gave out orders to the leaders. “The kingdom is ruled by the crown prince”

The men laughed again “The only person who has faith in that joke of a prince is Jiyong” He heard Woobin say, and the rest agreed, Jiyong smiled sadly.

“The prince does nothing” Another brother said, “The king knew how to take care of his people, but the prince is so lazy that he leaves all the work to his corrupt future father in law”

Seunghyun was ready to yell when Jiyong spoke, “The prince is not lazy” he was still cleaning. “I am sure, he is doing all he can. It’s probably hard for him, having to deal with his father’s illness”. His heart knotted at Jiyong’s word. “He is probably really lonely, he needs the people more now”.

“Jiyong you see the best in everyone....”

Seunghyun kept his eyes on Jiyong. “YAH! Clean up after yourselves for once”! Jiyong yelled at the boys.

“We do, our clean is your dirty” Woo Bin responded. “Jiyong, where did you find this one”? He asked as Jiyong pulled Seunghyun to join the three boys at the table.

“Actually we found each other” Jiyong smiled warmly at him, but he did not reciprocate; Jiyong’s word’s was still playing in his head.

“Does Jo kwon know”?

“He doesn’t own me,” Jiyong said defiantly.

“Ooooh, did you two have another lover’s quarrel”? Soo man, the youngest asked.

“If Kwon sees the way this one is looking at you, he will have his head. He has been looking at you for a while”. Seunghyun knew they were referring to him, so he turned away from the boy.

“Noble boy...he isn’t for you”

“That’s fine. I am betrothed, and I don’t find men attractive” Seunghyun said firmly.

“This isn’t just any man, this is Jiyo...”

“LET’S DRINK”!! Jiyong yelled suddenly, there was a difference in his countenance.

  They proceeded to drinking, but Seunghyun refrained from drinking; he found drinking useless, he watched as Jiyong drank cup after cup.

 

“I think it’s time you stopped” Seunghyun snatched the cup from Jiyong, as he was about to drink his sixth cup. Jiyong was already swaying in his chair, and slurring his words.

“But...”The boy pouted, “I want”

“Cute, but no. Say goodbye to your friends, we are leaving” Seunghyun stoop up, and helped the boy up but he fell back to the chair. “Alright get on” He squatted.

“Kwonnie hyungnim used to do this” The boy squealed as he leaned on him.

“Do you even eat”? Seunghyun questioned as he stepped over the big men that were passed out on the floor; they each drank several pitchers full of alcohol, “You are as light as a feather... I am taking you home” He carried Jiyong out on his back.

“Your highness, what happened”? Jong In rushed to them; Jiyong’s head was resting close to Seunghyun’ ears with his eyes closed. “Did you kill him”?

“WHAT.. NO... He’s drunk, he is supposed to be taking me around, and so far he has done nothing of the sort” He grumbled, “Let’s go, I have to get him home”!

“Nooooooo, I want the lake” Jiyong whined, his eyes still closed. “Lake.... Lake” He wriggled around.

“Aish, fine... I will take you” Seunghyun said finally.

They walked to the lake, with Jiyong singing various obscure songs in his ear, songs he actually found pleasing.

“Jiyong-ah... for supporting me back there, thank you” Seunghyun said as they made their way to the lake.

“Poking...” Jiyong whined, “Gat”

“Jong In.... take it off” he gestured the gat toward the eunuch.

“Yo....”.

“TAKE IT OFF”! Seunghyun barked, making Jong In quickly untie the gat from Seunghyun while trying his best to hide his smile.

“Now Jiyong... tell me how you really feel about the prince”. His father, the kings always warned him about consuming large amounts to alcohol ‘It brings out the truth that people always want to hide. You must not do it unless you are very troubled’ he said.

"The prince is someone I really pity; everyone would always compare him to the present king so he might never get the chance to show his true talent"

"But people already hate him, they...."

"No one hates him" Jiyong breathed, "They just don't know him: I think the prince should make his own council....  rightful people the prince could use, so that he could reach out to the people". The boy's impeccable brilliance surprised him.

"Is the Kim family really as corrupt as they say"? Seunghyun asked as he slowed his pace.

"Nara is my savior, Kim Nari scares me, and Jung Il Nari......." Jiyong stopped suddenly, making Seunghyun halt.

"Jung Il...."?

"A dog" Jiyong answered, accompanied with a sniffle. Seunghyun was sure he was crying.

"Jiyong...."? He stopped; he wasn't ready to destroy whatever friendship they had, he wanted Jiyong to tell him willingly. They arrived at the lake shortly; he placed Jiyong in the sand gently and sat beside him. "How do you feel about Kwon"? Jiyong's relation to the official still tugged at his heart for reasons he could not comprehend.

"My protector" The boy laughed cutely, "Someone I will forever owe my life"

'Do you love him'? Seunghyun wanted to ask, but he thought how ridiculous it was; he wasn't a fool like the boy to believe in a tall tale. "How do you feel about Hyunseung nari"? He asked referring to himself.

"The one that makes my heart go DO GOOOOM DOO GOOOOM" the boy said before laughing cutely again. "Aish, I don't even know you but why do I hoping to see you"

'I ask myself the same think kiddo' Seunghyun smiled, Jiyong continued "You don't look at me like the rest; those Nari's look at me like I am piece of meat" Seunghyun saw tears drip from the boys eyes "Kwon looks at me with pity, but you..." The took his face with both palms. "Why do you look at me like that"?

Seunghyun was beyond appalled “I....”

“Don’t worry I know you don’t like men, and your future wife is beautiful” Jiyong pulled away. “You must be happy,” More tears poured from his eyes.

“Jiyong...”Seunghyun thought for a while, “Would you believe me if I told you that I could protect you. I can take you away from all this”?

“No, I have Kwon”

“What if I tell you that I will protect you when I become king... I would never let anyone hurt you” He turned to the boy but he was already fast asleep. “Argh... why is he like this”?

“Your highness, shall I carry him”? Seunghyun ignored the question and picked the sleeping boy. “Your highness..”

“Shh, don’t wake him”

Seunghyun made his way to the boy’s house, ‘I will protect him if it’s the last thing I do..... But why do I feel a strong connection to him when I only just met him’

He was about making his way into the compound when someone yelled at him “You there”! It was the so-called protector “Why are you carrying my Jiyong”

“He got drunk so I brought him home” He answered as Kwon snatched the boy from his arms. He felt a chill suddenly run up his entire body.

“Thank you for bringing him safely, you may leave now”

Angry, Seunghyun was about taking his leave “He is not your Jiyong”

“What”?

“I said he is not your Jiyong” Seunghyun turned around. “Jiyong himself said that he belongs to no one”.

“What do you know....”

“I know everything about Jiyong” Seunghyun moved closer, “I know that he acts like he is tough but he breaks down all the time when he think’s no one is looking. I know that he is scared that he may never find the love he believes in so much, I know that he feels burdened that you would sacrifice yourself for him in a heartbeat... and I know...”

“No”! Kwon interrupted. “You know nothing. You may think you love him but would you be able to protect him”? He asked calmly. “I do not know of your background but you are definitely of noble born; would your family let you marry a man who has no background, and was once a slave”?

“I never said I loved him”

“Good, then stay away from him” Kwon moved closer this time. “It would break his heart if he loves you, and yet you feel nothing for him. Jiyong does not drink in front of people he only just met; he must trust you enough to let his guard down”

“So what are you saying”? Seunghyun knew what the boy was saying ‘Stay away from Jiyong’ was written on the boy’s forehead. “Are you saying this because you are afraid of a little competition”? Seunghyun flashed his best smile “Are you scared that he just might fall in love with me.... that the only thing he feels for you is guilt” he laughed this time; the boy had a very angry look on his face. Payback for drawing his sword the last time they met “Uhmm, maybe I should pursue him then, I...” He wasn’t finished a fist came flying his direction, knocking him to the ground.

“Never meet Jiyong again”!! Kwon said seriously before bursting into laughter, “Like a cowardly noble like you can protect anyone” he left with Jiyong still asleep in his arms.

Widened eyes, Jong In rushed to Seunghyun’s aid “Your highness”

“Find me all you can about that idiot” Seunghyun said as he got up, “And I want all the western books about love, and romance”!!!

 

************************************************************************************************************

It was late when Jiyong finally arose from bed, “Aish, my head hurts”! He yelled as he checked outside to get an idea of what time it was; Nara was moving into the palace and he was supposed to go with her. “Whoa, I am late”. There were so much he had to do, first he had to apologize to Kwon, then he had to apologize to his new friend for drinking.

“Jiyong-ah... are you awake”? It was Kwon. Without thinking, Jiyong opened his door and flew into Kwon’s arms.

“I am so sorry hyungnim, I don’t deserve you”

“No... I am so sorry” Kwon cradled Jiyong. “I am sorry I have been strict with you”. They remained in that position for a while.

“Hyungnim, I drank a lot last night and I can’t seem to remember how I got here” Jiyong pouted, “I wonder if Hyunseung Nari brought me back” Kwon saw a smile form on Jiyong’s lips.

“No, I did” Kwon lied. The fact was that the noble’s words from the previous night bothered him. “He left you wandering on the streets, so carried you home”

“Oh” Jiyong whispered, for some reason, he felt hurt. “Maybe his father’s sickness worsened”

“No Jiyong.... He went after some girl”

“Oh...” Jiyong pulled away from Kwon. “Hyungnim, I have to go huh”? His chest felt tight. “I am supposed to go to the palace with Nara”.

“Uhmm... Jiyong.....”

“I know hyungnim” Jiyong smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes “I will go with you when it’s settled” Jiyong thought a bit. “About your mother…. What you said yesterday…”

“I am sorry I lied, I was just so hurt” Kwon smiled

Jiyong did not believe but he chose to let it go “Okay hyungnim” he went in for another hug before running off.

 

  Jiyong snuck into the palace as the Kim household had already gone through the palace entrance guards. He’d studied maps of the palace enough to know where the future queen would be placed, and so he made his way there. Upon approach, he was shocked by the view before him; his noble friend was engrossed in a close conversation with Nara, and occasionally touching her arm.

“YAH”!!!! Jiyong ran up to him, pulling his arm. “How can you flirt with the future queen” Jiyong pulled him more. “Do you.....”

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING”!!! He was suddenly surrounded by swords. “LET GO OF THE PRINCE’S ARM”!!!!