Thank you for loving me

The slave boy

“How could this happen”? Seunghyun paced before the infirmary; in one room, Nara’s life was on the line, the blade pierced deeper than anticipated. In the other room, Jiyong’s life was on the line; the doctors said the baby had to be removed or they both would not make it since the blade had penetrated him a little, putting the baby’s life in danger. “HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN”? He roared. Nothing went as planned; Jung was supposed to out his father, but Yang Suk ended up doing it himself.

It was the hour of the rabbit and Kim Yang Suk was locked up awaiting his verdict. News had spread about what had transpired the previous night and of Jiyong’s and Nara’s current state. People surrounded the palace crying, and praying for them to get well.

“Follow me” Seunghyun said to Kwon, and they walked together to where Yang Suk was locked. “Are you happy”? He said to the man as soon as they were faced with each other, but with Yang Suk behind wooden bars.

“Yang Suk crawled towards Seunghyun’s feet “Please” Yang Suk cried “Please don’t allow my only daughter die”.

“It is too late for that” Seunghyun kicked the man away, “What”? He asked when Yang Suk cried louder, “Does that cause you pain, why would it? Didn’t you also try killing her just so you can kill Jiyong”?

“Please your highness”

“It is too late for that” Seunghyun said before walking away from the wailing man. The guards closed the door behind him.

“Why did you say that”? Kwon asked angrily, “She is going to survive, she has to survive”

“I just wanted him to hurt as much as I am” They walked back toward the infirmary, “What do we do, how can they both...”

“At least you could root for one and easily forget the other, while I cannot. I need them both” Kwon said before walking away. “Your highness” Jong In called for Seunghyun before he could stop Kwon, “Nara...she, she is awake”

Seunghyun was about to make his way when he notices Kwon still walking in the other direction. “Are you not coming”?

“No, I am the last person she would want to see”.

*

“Jiyong”? Nara asked when she saw Seunghyun, and he shook his head in response. “Jiyong” Nara fought the pain, she had to find Jiyong, “I want to go to Jiyong” Seunghyun held her back but she only cried louder, “Nara, your body isn’t strong enough” Seunghyun tried holding her down, and did until she fell asleep.

“What happened”? Kwon asked from the door; Nara’s head was resting on Seunghyun’s thigh, and he was her hair. Jealousy sparked a little, but he reminded himself of how much Seunghyun loved Jiyong.

“She was screaming for Jiyong... they said she will be safe now. The blade only struck her side” Seunghyun said as he Nara’s hair some more. What about Jiyong, will he be safe? Will our baby be safe? Who will I choose if i was given a choice.... Jiyong of course, but would he ever love me again.

“Jiyong will be fine, he...”

“What if”?

“In Jiyong’s entire life, he has always been a friend danger; he was neither given milk from his mother’s when he was born, nor was he kept warm but he survived. He was once bitten by a poisonous snake and survived. He was taken to the Kim residence to become a chamber servant but he ended up here; Jiyong has been through too much not to survive this” Kwon tried convincing himself more than he did Seunghyun.

The room suddenly grew quiet; both men in their own world, when the cry of a baby blasted through the walls. “It’s alive”! Seunghyun scurried to his feet, and ran out the room, with Kwon at his heels. “Your highness, it’s a god”! A doctor silently said as he walked out.

“A god”? Seunghyun and Kwon looked at each other confused. A maid walked out carrying a baby wrapped in cloth, “Your highness” the maid tried handing him the baby but he brushed past her, into the room where Jiyong was. Jiyong was lying unconscious, and covered in blood. Several doctors where attending to him. “Ji.....” He could barely speak; Jiyong’s body looked pale and lifeless. “Your highness, please it is not safe to be in here” One of the doctors led him outside.

“Why”! Seunghyun demanded begrudgingly, “Why does he look like that”? The image of how Jiyong looked would forever be etched in his mind.

“Your highness” Kwon whispered in Seunghyun’s ears, “The king has to be one of the first two people to hold the heir,” he said as he led Seunghyun to the baby that was still being held by the maid. “Hold your son. You have to be strong for him”. Seunghyun carried the baby in his arms, and took the first glimpse of his son. “Kwon ah” Seunghyun called Kwon’s attention to the baby, and they both gazed at the breathtaking baby. “He is indeed a god” Kwon commented as he stared the baby whose skin was a white as snow, lips as red as blood, hair as black as the night, and the most shocking thing was the eyes; his eyes were as blue as the water of the ocean. No one else in the kingdom, or even neighboring kingdoms had eyes like that.

Seunghyun was instantly mesmerized, he the baby on the cheek, “Your highness” he heard several workers chant, and was faced with his grandmother when he turned around.

“I hear he is a god,” She said as she approached him,

“News travels fast” He smiled sadly, as he placed the baby in the old queen’s arms.

“Of course, especially when a heir is born. I hear the mourners outside are calling you father of a god, and are spreading the news further around the kingdom” She bounced the baby as she spoke, “I guess his good looks comes from Jiyong” she joked but Seunghyun eyes filled with water. “Seunghyun ah” She shook her head, telling him to be strong.

 

“Your highness” One of the doctors ran to Seunghyun, “He is okay for now, you can go inside”. Seunghyun did not need to be told twice before running into the room.

**********

Kwon was sitting by Nara’s side when he saw her stir in her sleep. “Jiyong”, she called out as her eyes began to open. “Jiyong”

“He is still unconscious, but he will be fine” Kwon said as Nara fought through the pain to sit up, “Kwon”, she quickly looked away embarrassed. “What are you doing here”?

“I wanted to be sure you were safe”

“I am”

They sat silently until Nara spoke again, “Do you still hate me”? She dared not to look at him, for the fear of her eyes revealing what her heart was feeling, but could not say. “I saw you”

Kwon was getting uneasy. “What”?

“I always saw you looking at me”

“Nara please” The only thing stopping him from going to her, was the fact that she was still married, to the king of the kingdom. “Plea...”

“I love you,” She said silently, but loud enough for him to hear, then laughed, “ This foolish thing called love. I always thought Jiyong was being foolish for believing it, but here I am”

“I have to go check on Jiyong” Kwon rose to his feet and walked toward the door, “Will you ever care about me as much as you care about Jiyong”? He heard her ask as he walked out, but did not stop.

   ****************

Seunghyun sat beside Jiyong, with the baby in hand. He sent all the workers away; he wanted to be alone with his family. “You are human right”? He asked the calm baby in his arms, “If you weren’t human, you would have fixed him quickly right”? He was referring to Jiyong. “You see, I am in love with your other father very much and I cannot lose him” he continued speaking to the baby, “Without him, I cannot be a king.... I love you too but I think I love him more right now”. The baby smiled, “Okay now I love you more” he bounced his son. “What kind of baby neither eats nor cries”? He tried feeding the baby one more time, but was rejected. “I would sing for you but that would only make you cry. What should I name you”?

“Tae...yang” Jiyong was finally conscious, “Call him Taeyang” Jiyong coughed.

“My love” Seunghyun scooped Jiyong with his free arm, and rendered him with kisses. “I was so scared” He released Jiyong when he remembered how much pain he was going through.

“Is our baby healthy”? Jiyong finally asked. He felt oddly fine, “I want to hold our baby”, he tried sitting up against Seunghyun’s complaint, “Please”

“He is beautiful” Jiyong carried his baby, and just then and there, the baby began crying.

“He has been refusing to eat anything, he should be hungry”

Jiyong tried feeding the baby, and then he did eat, “He was waiting for me” Tears of joy rolled down Jiyong’s cheeks. “Were you waiting for me”? Jiyong asked, oblivious to the loving look Seunghyun was giving him. “Seunghyun, we....” Seunghyun’s mouth was on Jiyong’s; they shared a slow but passionate kiss.

“I love you” Seunghyun said as he pulled away, “You cannot die before me.... promise you would never die before me”.

“I promise”. Jiyong smiled.

“Your highness” Kwon walked into the room. “Jiyong”? He rushed to Jiyong’s side, and enveloped him in a tight hug, but was mindful of the baby. “How do you feel”?

“Good”

Kwon laughed as a deja vu feeling swept through him, “He reminds me of you. You never cried before an after my mother placed you in my arms”. They all smiled as they stared at the precious child in Jiyong’s arms.

“How is Nara”? Jiyong asked Kwon.

“She is okay” She should be crying her eyes out right now.

“Kwon take her away from here” Both men turned to Jiyong, “If you two ever want to be together, this is the only time you can.... we can fake her death, tell the people that she died while you take her far away and not come back for a while”

Kwon looked at Seunghyun, and quickly got to his knees, “Please forgive my transgression; after all you have done for me, I still looked at your queen. I deserve death,” He pleaded.

Seunghyun guided Kwon up, by the shoulder, “You both deserve to be happy” he smiled, “But if you have to do this, you have to go now, and I would talk to the doctors and the queen’s maids” he was quick to act.

Jiyong tried fighting through the pain to get up “I should see her, she....”

“Jiyong you are too weak, and it will take too much time. I dismissed the maids a while back, but they would be returning soon”. Seunghyun stopped him.

“What about the guards”? Jiyong asked, fearing for Nara’s life.

“They have been sworn to secrecy; everything that goes on within the palace walls are to remain within the palace walls, they would be charged with treason” It was Kwon who responded this time.

The three quickly said their goodbyes, with Jiyong locking Kwon in an embrace; it was the first time they were to be parted without hopes of when they would see each other, at least for Jiyong.

 

*************************************

“I am not crying,” Nara stated as tears streamed down her face, “Okay, I am crying but it is not because of him” She wiped the tears. She scolded herself for telling him how she felt. The door opened behind her but she kept her back to it, “I am not ready for visitors”.

“Nara”. It was Kwon.

“What do you want”? With her back still to him.

Kwon was a bit scared but still walked toward her “Were you crying because of me”?

“No”

“How long have you been crying because of me”? He finally got to her, squatted, and enveloped her in a back hug. “Kwon ah” Nara was taken aback but she savored the moment. “What if I told you that I would spend the rest of my life making sure that you would never cry again”?

“Kwon ah” she tried turning back but he held her in her place as he continued, “But before I do that, I have to know...” he sighed before turning her gently to face him, “Will be I enough? I have money” the money he had been saving to marry Jiyong “Quite a lot but you would have to give up the palace. Can you...”

Overwhelmed with joy, Nara kissed him, a quick kiss “I will go anywhere with you, money or no money”. They kissed again; a kiss Kwon initiated that was both slow and passionate.

“I love you, somehow I feel like I have loved you all my life” he saw her blush, “Run away with me” he showed her the sealed paper. “You are no longer married to the king... this is the only way, but you would have to leave with me this instant”

“Okay”

He was a little surprised at her willingness, “Can I see Jiyong first”? He shook his head sadly, “We cannot risk being seen but I promise to bring you back here once the dust settles”

“What will happen to my family”?

He cleared his throat, “Nara....”

“Sorry I asked, you are my family now. They never cared much for me anyways” she smiled as he helped her up.

“And I promise to build another family with you” he scooped her up in his arm, “Was that painful”? He asked when he saw her wince.

“I don’t know, I can only feel joy” she wrapped her arms around his neck, and they took off without looking back.

 

10 DAYS LATER

 

“Jiyong, why are you doing this”? Seunghyun asked as he watched Jiyong getting prepared for a visit to the prison. “Kim Yang Suk will be drinking poison soon, why bother seeing him”? Seunghyun was lying beside their sleeping baby.

“Because he would die thinking his daughter died by his own sword” Jiyong walked over to Seunghyun, and noted how uneasy Seunghyun looked, “But I would refrain from going if it bothers you” he added as he wrapped Seunghyun’s arms around himself. They lay there for a little while just enjoying each other’s presence when Seunghyun finally spoke, “The last time we tried coming to a decision, and you gave in....we almost lost Taeyang. I would not let my fear get in the way of our happiness anymore, so you may go”

Jiyong could barely contain himself; he pulled Seunghyun in for a kiss “Jiyong... Jiyong...” Seunghyun tried pulling away, “I… I can’t contain myself, and the doctor said we shouldn’t”

“Okay then” Jiyong hid his smirk as he rose up, but Seunghyun grabbed his wrist, “We can do other things...” Seunghyun grumbled “I haven’t touched you in ages, and it is killing me, especially when you look the way you do”

Jiyong wriggled free, “Not in front of our child”, he secretly loved the way he made Seunghyun feel.

“We can leave him with my grandmother, or some maids”

“Woah”

“Don’t tell him I said that when he grows up”

It took Jiyong a while before finally deciding to step into the prison where Kim Yang Suk was. “Nari” he called out through the wooden bars that separated him from the man. “Nari” he called out again before bowing.

“Jiyong” The man’s voice was raspy, he even looked a lot different than Jiyong remembered; Kim Yang Suk was once a mighty man, but the man before him was broken. Not scared, just broken. “Are you here to laugh in my face”?

“No... I am here to see how you are faring, and I brought you some food” Jiyong set the tray aside.

“ Why... after all I have done to you...because of you”?

“ If you are thinking of apologizing, don’t”

Yang Suk laughed, “Why are you here Jiyong”? He asked, both eyes locked. “Why would you come here”?

“I want to hate you but I cannot.... everything you have done to me has only lead me to the position I am today. I have to ask you, would you it again? If you had to do it again, would you still be as ruthless”?

“Yes” Yang Suk said almost immediately, “I would, but I would stop when my daughter became queen” then his voice broke, “My Nara was a great queen, she was a great queen and I killed her.... after all I put her through, I killed her” Yang Suk then got on his knees. “Jiyong please forgive me, I know if you forgive me, Nara certainly would in the afterlife,” he cried.

Jiyong also got on his knees, surprising the man before him, and several guards “Nari, Nara is alive” Jiyong said in barely a whisper.

“Jiyong, I know I have been bad to you, but...”

“Nari, Nara is alive” Jiyong looked deeper into the man’s eyes, “She ran off to China with Kwon hyungnim. It was the only way Nara could be free with the person she loved”

“Alive”! Yang Suk cheered, “My daughter is alive” he laughed “Thank you your highness, thank you your highness” the man bowed repeatedly.

“Your family is safe, but Kim Jung Il nari is on exile with his family, but you.... There was nothing I ...”

“Please let me die, do not interfere”

“Nari...” Jiyong tried pleading with the man, but was stopped, “Jiyong ah, I have not been able to sleep since the moment Nara was born; I keep hearing babies crying around me... It is time for me to die, I deserve it”

*

“Is your mind at ease”? Seunghyun met with Jiyong at the entrance of the prison, and Jiyong nodded.

Seunghyun lead Jiyong to the gazebo, where he wrapped Jiyong in his arms. “We made it Jiyong” He whispered in Jiyong’s ear. “It is time for us to be happy; the officials are united for the first time, the people love you more than they do me”

“Thank you Seunghyun” Jiyong pulled Seunghyun in tighter; “Thank you for running into me the day I snuck into the palace. And thank you for loving me”

“Thank you for giving me Taeyang”

 

7 years later

“Yah! Why are you running so slow”? The little prince screamed at the girl behind him; they were playing around the palace. “I have to practice my walk as the future queen” the girl responded seriously, as she concentrated on her walk.

“Queen”? Taeyang walked closer to the girl, who name was Sa rang. His deep blue eyes piercing into her eyes “Who said you are queen, I am going to be king” he argues.

“Yes, and I am going to marry you” Sa Rang said simply.

“WHY”! He screamed, “I am going to marry a man that looks like my youngie abunim”

“No” she smiled, “You are going to love and marry me”

“NO NO NO, you are not even pretty like my youngie abunim, I will not marry you. I am the crown prince” Taeyang argued, despite Sa Rang’s calm demeanor.

 

“They are at it again”? Nara laughed as the foursome watched their children argue. It had been five years since Kwon and Nara returned to the kingdom with their one year old daughter; Sa Rang, a beautiful girl. Kwon quickly resumed his work, being Seunghyun’s right hand man, and was given a place close to the palace.

“I thought they would have out grown it by now” Jiyong added, as he leaned back closer to Seunghyun; years had passed but he found new reasons to love Seunghyun. “He reminds me of his father, always talking big... I bet falls in love with her first” Jiyong’s comment was met with a shrug from Seunghyun.

“No, I say she falls in love first; just like you fell for me” Seunghyun argued, “You pushed me down and almost kissed me, then lied that you were hiding from your hyungnim”

“That was you two”? Kwon’s interest was peaked, “Woah, I always thought the girl was bold”

“But my omunim was once a queen”. They heard Sa Rang argue in the background. “Now that is going to be a whole new set of argument” Seunghyun sighed, and as if on cue, Taeyang yealled, “She is my omunim too”!!!

“No, if she is your omunim, we can’t get married”!

“I don’t want to marry you”!

“Shouldn’t we stop them”? Seunghyun asked before Jong In walked up to them, “Your highness, the officials are waiting for you”. He bowed. Most of the old officials had been replaced with new ones.

“Excuse me” Seunghyun kissed Jiyong before taking his leave.

“Should we be bothered by this, I thought they would have stopped the bickering by now”? Kwon was deeply worried; the last thing he wanted was his daughter’s heart getting broken. Officials were already raising each of their daughters to be queens, while Sa Rang was barely a noble; to those in the kingdom, the birth of Nara was unknown. “I just don’t want Nara growing up to....”

“Hyungnim, I know what you are thinking” Jiyong shoved Kwon playfully, “Do you really think Seunghyun and I would care if Taeyang choses her”? He smiled at the two; they were a perfect match, and he prayed everyday that they would fall in love with each other, but he knew better than to force it. “I think we should sit back and watch their love unfold”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S: I am starting a new fic, but I am not going to place a link here. I would rather you found me in the gtop tag, and decide for yourself if you want to commit to reading another fic of mine.          I am suddenly engulfed with so many different emotions; I miss you guys already :(    Don't be a stranger, leave me a message once in a while okay?