13 Years Old

One Day, Ten Years

Thirteen, the first age in the ’teenager’-era. Being thirteen is hard; you’re still a kid but you still think that you’re so close to being an adult.

Luhan and Minseok noticed a lot common interests between one another. Math and rubrix cube were two of those interests. Those two boys were very smart and even though they looked cute, they became the two ‘nerds’ of their class. And school.

But Luhan was happier than he had ever been before. He and Minseok had gotten so close to each other and they really didn’t need others to tell them that they were good enough for anything else. They liked being nerds.

High School means a lot of unfamiliar things and for Sehun it wasn’t any difference at all. He began in a bigger school; SM High and he tried his best to keep his old friends, especially Jongin, but he also wanted to make new friends.

He soon had a group of friends consisting: Sehun, himself, Jongin, Baekhyun, Joonmyeon, Taemin, Minho, Kibum and Kyungsoo. And also the two girls, who they got to know during the first week at SM High; Soojung and Jinri.

They formed one of the more popular groups at the high school.

Together with Jongin and Taemin; Sehun formed a dance-crew and they were dancing in the school’s basement during their breaks.

At home, Luhan began to fight even more with his stepfather. They could fight about everything and the fights got even intense. Screaming and slamming in door belonged now to something regular under the roof at Luhan’s home.

One day, their fights went so far that they send Luhan back to China as a punishment. He stayed there for about a month. What they didn’t understand was that being sent to China wasn’t a punishment for Luhan, it was an award. He was in another country compared to where Jonghyun was and he could meet his father and Yixing. That wasn’t a real punishment.

“Maybe we shouldn’t go to Busan this summer” Jonghyun had been muttering after a fight, which made him earn a disliking gaze from his wife.

In China, everyone understood Luhan perfectly. And Yixing seemed to understand how much Sehun meant to Luhan. Since he was asking about Sehun.

He had been the only one.

The only one who listened when Luhan told about Sehun and what they did at the camping with sparkling eyes.

~*~*~

The summer was extremely hot this year, and when the summer-break began Sehun didn’t spend many hours outside. He didn’t go to Taemin’s house together with Jongin to dance; instead he stayed at home and played video-games. He was waiting for the day when they would travel to Busan.

“Who is Luhan anyways?” Jongin one day, when he finally had dragged Sehun out of the house for some ice-cream, asked all randomly.

Sehun on the vanilla ice-cream which he was sharing with Jongin. “The most amazing person living on the earth”

~*~*~

It was raining the day when Luhan arrived to the camping. It was probably one of the first days raining this summer.

Luhan saw Sehun’s car standing next to the cottage he always had been living in and a big smile was being formed on Luhan’s lips.

“I’ll go and check if Sehun’s there” Luhan said when the car stopped outside their cottage.

He grabbed a black umbrella and ran over to the other cottage.

Sehun was the one to open the door and Luhan was being startled by the look of Sehun. He had grown so much during this one year, he was almost two heads taller than Luhan and his face had gotten more mature.

Luhan hadn’t changed that much during that one year; he hadn’t matured that much either. And he felt that he was slipping behind Sehun.

“H-Hi” Luhan stammered. He was shocked that he got so shy all this suddenly. He was never shy in front of Sehun, there was no need to.

But this Sehun was all new to Luhan.

“Come in” Sehun stepped aside and let Luhan walk inside their cottage.

~*~*~

“What’s your phone number” Sehun asked. “On your cellphone, I mean”

Luhan shook his head. “I don’t have one”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I was supposed to get one on my birthday as a gift. But apparently, I had been misbehaving and didn’t get one.”

Sehun bit his lower lip, he felt sorry for Luhan. Living with the strict Jonghyun seemed to be so hard. He could never survive like Luhan did; he would go crazy in that house.

Sehun stood up and grabbed a pink post-it note. He wrote his own phone number on the note and handed it to Luhan. “Here”

“Take this one and send me a text once you get a phone” Sehun smiled.

Luhan nodded and put the note in the pocket of his dark blue jeans-shorts.

~*~*~

During the evening, Sehun and Luhan were walking along over the beach.  No one said a word and, to Luhan, it was like one of those scenes you only get to see in romantic movies.

“When is your birthday?” Luhan looked at Sehun.

“April 12th and yours?”

Luhan’s eyes widened. “You’re joking! My birthday is April 20th

Sehun’s eyes widened as well, not long afterwards was a smile being formed over Sehun’s usually poker-face.

“We should celebrate it together some time” Sehun ruffled his hand in Luhan’s hair. He now knew that he was older than Luhan, just by eight days but it still counted as he was older.

Then something hit Luhan, he didn’t want to think about it but he knew that it would happen sometime soon. “When are you leaving Busan?”

Luhan’s voice was shaking, like he was scared that Sehun would leave him sooner than expected. He didn’t want Sehun to leave. Sehun was his only escape from Jonghyun and Chanyeol, the two persons he hated the most in the whole world.

“The day after tomorrow” Sehun said, his smile had disappeared and he sounded sad.

“Oh…” Luhan gazed into the ground. He still had a long time left until his family left. “We’re going home next week”

Sehun nodded. “Once you get a phone we can talk every day!”

Luhan’s face shone up, he looked at Sehun and stretched out his pinky. “Promise”

Sehun grabbed Luhan’s pinky with his own. “Promise”