The Guy & The Gangster

That Person In Shinsadong

I’m in the dark place and now I’m walking alone throughout the scary walkway in a big refinery I think. I don’t have anything on my hand and pocket, no money, no small thing that can be a weapon to defence myself even a hairclip is not in my pocket. How can I protect myself if something bad happen to me? I am an innocent girl,I am weak. Can I help myself with my free weak hand? I don’t know what will happen to me if I have to face every bad thing alone. I just can hope that my brain is running well when I am in a bad situation.  I am rather die than have to face the bad boys, who only one the girl’s ity.

I walk and walk, searching for the lights where the way out is there, I don’t know it is a day or night outside this huge refinery. I just can smell chemicals here and there, it makes me near to my death. I even don’t know how I can be trapped in this scary place, I’m very confused but I really don’t know how to find the way back.  I hope God can send someone or an angel to help me right now. Looking around searching for something or hints that might can help me out from here.

I walk and walk and out of sudden, I feel someone pulls and holds my right arm tightly. I feel very scared and shivering. I am covered with the cold sweat right now. I am not daring to say anything or push my hand back but I venture to look at the person. I can see his face clearly. He has a very adorable face but has a bad hairstyle and also a taller boy for me. At my first sight, I can tell that he is a nerdy boy and a coward but I don’t really know what his real character is because I just can say through his style not more than that.  

He holds my right arm tightly and I can feel it is hurting me. “Hey! Why are you holding my hand? It’s hurt you know!” I start scolding him without think of his feeling. He looks very innocent but with my natural character that I cannot change, being a selfish person so, I will never think about the others and now I just walk forward and leave him behind. He lets my hand go but he runs after me, “Noona! Wait for me. I want to follow you. I’m scared alone here.”  He holds my arm again. “But we don’t know each other,” I say in hesitant. “No, I just want to follow you up. We’ve to find the way out from here together. We have been trapped here,” He says in scared tune.

“How can you say like that? You are the one who have to find the way out from here not me because you have to. You are a boy and I guess you are older than me,” I say while pointing to him. “No, I can’t. I’m just a chicken,” He holds my hand tighter than before. Out of the blue, I remember back my own hard principle, Just think about yourself and dont think about others especially the stranger because they might be a culprit. They just want to use you just for their advantages.

I push him aside and walk straight away to the front even I don’t have any place to go to like live with no aims. “Noona, don’t you pity at me?” he says sad. His eyes are watery. I don’t know why I’m stopping in front of him right now? After he puts his hand on my both shoulder. He makes me frozen at a moment. I can’t step further anymore. My legs are too heavy even to have a step more. Is he has a magic? I don’t know why suddenly my heart says that I must help him even though I don’t know him. I turn to a selfless person. My tears are falling. My heart is touched by him.

How I can change myself in a few seconds just because of him? Who is he? “Ok! Promise with me, don’t do anything bad to me,” I say while sobbing. I don’t even give out my smile because I don’t want everyone around me know that I’m not really a serious person in my true life. They will not respect me even for a friend respect. “Noona, don’t cry!” he gives me a piece of handkerchief. And there is a name knitted on it, ‘Choi Jong Hoon’. “Alright!” I nod and wipe up all my tears on my cheek using the handkerchief that he gave me earlier.

We continue to walk and he is still holding my lower part of arm. We walk together without a word out from our mouth until we arrive in front of the two pathways. Indeed, we are in front of two dark tunnels. One of the tunnels must be the way out but we have to choose the very right path or we will lose forever. I’m in dilemma to choose between the two tunnels but when we see a group of gangster walk out from the right tunnel, we have to choose to go through the left tunnel without thinking anymore.

The gangsters giggle, “Hi, young couple! What are you doing here? Dating?” We just ignore them and run to the left tunnel. “Arrogant couple!” they yell. We feel save at first when we entered the left tunnel one but now we are in a bigger trouble when we are facing the other gangsters at the midway.  “Hey friends! We have two guests here! Boss will sure like her,” one of them says to his friends and then, they laugh in creepy sound. They round up around us, making a ring shape and we feel very scared at the moment. We standing there, trapped by six of them and don’t have anything to defence ourselves. My brain can progress. We lose hope.

 I just stare and focus to the boy who is in front of me because his hand is around my waist. Without I know, the other one next to me injects something on my left hand.  I hold Jong Hoon’s hand tightly and screaming badly like I am fighting with my death. The effect of the injection makes me collapse beside Jong Hoon and then unconscious.

As I wake up, I just lie on Jong Hoon’s lap. His hand is tied at the back and I rapidly sit up even my head is still dizzy. I am not tied as Jong Hoon. I help him to untied the rope and walk to the door. “Jong Hoon, let we try to break this door!” I say. “Noona! Where do you know my name?” he looks very confused. “Oh on the handkerchief,” I smile. My first smile is for the stranger that I just know for about an hour. “Sun Hi, forgive me because I can’t save you just now,” he says sad. “It’s okay. I’m fine now. But what you call me just now?” I say shocked. “Sun Hi. Your name right?” he blinks his eyes. “Yes, my name but where you know it?” I ask him. “Your pendant,” he shows.

“Hey! You look at it?” I say in angry sound. “The thing that in front of me is only you and you is on my lap and I just can look at you. Arraso!” he is pointing at me with a sharp glance.  “Pardon me,” I bow. “Let’s go out from here!” I say curiously. “I’ll try to open this door!” Jong Hoon claims. He heads for the door and tries to open by turn and pull the doorknob but he does not success. Now, he tries to kick up the door but still has not brought any achievement to get out from here.

“Can you hold these for me?” I give him my headband and the head tie to him. “Eh! What are you doing on?” he asks. “Just shut up!” I take back my headband from him and wear it tidily on the front part of my head. Then, I take the head tie. I tie my hair tightly and I face to the door. I do the stretching before I use the martial art that I’ve learn before.  Jong Hoon just looks at me with satisfied face. At this moment, I see his mature traits. I give the first kick on the door but the door still not move even an inch.

“Sun Hi, can I ask you something?” he smiles. “What is it?” reply me while repeating kick the door. “Did you really learn martial art before?” he asks. “Yes and no.” “Yes and no? What the name of martial art that you learn?” he asks again. “Listen this carefully and don’t ask me again after this. I learn Juwondo. Is it clear?” I say breathless. “Let’s seat here for a while. You are tired right,” he says while patting his lap. I just sit on the cold floor. I try to keep alright in the cold surrounding with my short sleeves shirt. “Why are you shivering? Cold?” He asks. “Mmm… Nothing.  I am just craving for the food. I’m hungry right now,” I say with full of egoistic.

“No, no. You lie to me. You are cold right?” He says. “If I’m really cold, what will you do?” I say again. “I’ve asked you to sit on my lap before,” he winks. “I don’t want to!” I protest. “Here!” he drags me on his lap. He is too strong until I can’t fight him back. I consent him. He plays with my hair. “Please don’t touch me!” I say slowly. “Ok! But what is Juwondo means by?” he puts his hand on my shoulder.

“Juwondo means…. Firstly, don’t laugh at me or I’ll leave you alone here.” I threaten him. “Ok agree. Juwondo means Judo plus Taekwondo so it is Juwondo. Clear now?” I ask. He nods and not laughs at me. I stand up and turn to the door back. “Still want make a try to break it down?” “Yes!” “Hwaiting!!!” I try for two times but there is still nothing happen. “What is our fate?” he whispers to my right ear.

“I just have one more brilliant idea,” I say. “What is it? I’ll help you as long as we can get out from here?” “Really? Just follow what I say,” I look at him. “Ha what?” he asks. “Make me extremely angry. It will make me wilder. I’ll gain more strength if I am angry.” “Ok, understand! Let’s move on now!” he says.

“Sun Hi! You are stubborn, peculiar, cute but selfish,” he yells.

“Doesn’t give me effect but what? Cute?” I get surprised.

“You are and crazy!” he says.

“Everyone wants peacefulness when doing their martial art but you not, strange girl!” he continues.

“Not angry yet. I don’t know what your weaknesses,” he is fanning himself.

“Maybe this will make you extremely angry. I want take your pride now!” He screams and laughs as loud as he wants.

“What??? How dare you?” I am very angry and I simply kick the door with my full anger strength and guess what? I am success to do that. “Yeay, thank you oppa!” I bow.  “You’re welcome! Now I know what makes you angry a lot. You are such an honourable girl. Take care of your ity ya,” he says while holding my hand. “I know it since before! Let’s go now before they come here,” I say, wink. We run to the opened door and lead to the big main door but we are unlucky when someone speak to us, “Ha ha ha! Where are you going young couple? Escape? It will never happen.”

But something make me little weird, Jong Hoon just now was a coward but now he turns to a very brave man. “Don’t disturb my girl!” He says to the member of the gangster. “Oh, so she is really your girl?” he asks violently. “Oppa!” I hold Jong Hoon‘s hand.  “It’s okay my dear. Don’t be scared. I’ll take care of you.” He says romantically and takes me to his side. “Stop your love drama here and take this!” the gangster hits Jong Hoon’s head. His head is bleeding and I don’t know what to do because I never learn how to treat the injured people. I am really scared with the blood and I am not the member of Red Crescent Society to make a charity works or be a helper. I take Jong Hoon’s head and place it on my lap. He is unconscious and his blood flowing on my lap. I make a sharp glance to the gangster and I accidentally see his tattoo on his left arm. The tattoo is his name I think. ‘Gi Kwang’.

“Hey babe, let’s go! Someone really special is waiting for you,” He pulls my hand.

“Can I ask something?” I stutter.

“What?”

“Can you bring him too?”

“Can’t,” he replies.

“Please!” I am begging to him. I kneel down in front of him.

“Please!” I say once more.

“Huh! You are troublemaker you know.”

“I don’t care what you want to say about me but please bring him along with me.”

“Okay!”

He drags me with Jong Hoon along with him and from far I can see his gangster members. All of them have tattoos on his left hand. Maybe it is the symbol of their gang or there is something behind. They put Jong Hoon next to me on the same chair with me. We are tied together and I stare them one by one, their names are Jun Hyung, Yo Seop, Hyun Seung and Dong Woon as I see. I look at Dong Woon carefully and I say alone in my heart, “How can a boy that has an angelic face be a gangster? That would be better if he works legally.”

I look there is one more boy in front of us but I just can see him from behind. “Who is he? Is he the boss that Gi Kwang said just now?” I ask myself. “Hello my girl!” He whirls back, reveal his bare face to me. “Who is this guy?” I confuse. “Let us go!” I say. “Go?” He stands and walks around me and Jong Hoon for several times. “You’ll never go from here my dear,” he chuckles in creepy sounds one more time. “You are crazy!” I’m bashing him.

“What?” he loosen the rope that tied me. He wants to drag me but at the same time I feel Jong Hoon squeezes my hand. “He already wakes up and that is good,” I say alone. I think he gives me signal to keep quiet. The boss of the gangster drags me to his table, he puts me on the table since I am lack of height. “What are you going to do?” I ask him without hesitation when I see him turns backward and find something in the drawer.

TO BE CONTINUED...