4. Love and Hate Relationship

The Red String

CHAPTER four   “Love  and  hate  realtionship”

 

Ije buteo jalbwa naega mworhaneunji 
Neoramyeon hanmom akkabji anheun na
Ireum mandae nugudeun naega da deryeo olkkeoya
Jjaekkag jjaekkag Da i-

“Hello?” Jisoo groggily answered her phone.

“Come to the café right now.” Leo stated. Jisoo groaned and saw the time that read 6:00 AM.

“But it’s six in the morning…” Jisoo mumbled against her pillow.

“But we need to get ready to open at seven.” Leo explained.

“But it’s-”

“I thought there was no complaining…”

“UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“I’ll see you in fifteen minutes; if you don’t get here in fifteen minutes, I’m not doing the job either.” Leo commented on Jisoo’s groans.

“I’m getting up… I’ll be there as soon as possible…” Jisoo sighed out and hung up. She forced herself up and looked into the mirror. Surprised at how she looked, she ran into the bathroom where she took the fastest shower of her life. She got herself into leather pants and a loose white t-shirt. She then quickly dried her hair and grabbed her jacket and her black beanie. She put on her platform sneakers and she tried to open the door as well. She ended up catching a taxi to get there in thirteen minutes.

When Jisoo got out of the taxi, Leo was standing in front of the café looking at his watch. When he heard the car door close, he looked up and smiled.

“I’m surprised… you actually made it in fifteen minutes.” Leo said with a smile.

“You weren’t expecting me to be here in fifteen minutes?” Jisoo questioned.

“No, I thought you wouldn’t care and come in like thirty.”

“But you said you won’t do the job if I was late.”

“I thought you would see right through that… I guess not.”

“Well aren’t you nice… I took a ten minute shower! I feel like I didn’t even take one!” Jisoo complained.

“I didn’t tell you take a shower. It was your choice…”

“Ughhhhhhhh!!! Just tell me why you want me here so early.”

“Well, your job here is to do basically what I do; you open and close the café and bake.” Leo explained.

“That’s it?”

“Yep, that’s it.”

“But why do I have to be here six in the morning?”

“So we can do a bit of cleaning and bake the cakes that will be sold today by seven, which is the opening time just in case you didn’t know.” Leo continued to explain as they entered the café and walked into the kitchen.

“What are we making?” Jisoo said as she washed her hands and put on an apron.

“You’re favorite, red velvet.”

“How did you know I always get red velvet though? I’ve tried every one of the cakes you know.”

“I am the owner, I see your receipt almost every day. Majority of the time, you get red velvet. Why do you like it so much?”

“Because it’s good, of course.” Jisoo sang out.

“Please tell me you know how to bake…”

“I can promise you, I’m probably as good as you are.”

“Then why don’t you just make one yourself instead of buying one.”

“I’m too lazy! Plus your red velvet cakes are good!” Jisoo cheered.

Leo chuckled as he put the ingredients into the bowl. Leo silently continued to mix ingredients as Jisoo poured the batter into the pan and put it into the oven. Jisoo stood there and watched Leo as he continued to mix without talking.

“How am I making the cake if all I’m doing right now is putting the batter into the oven?” Jisoo questioned.

“You are supposed to be watching and memorize the process of making each cake… didn’t I tell you?” Leo asked back.

“You did not… I don’t remember a thing, start over again.”

“We are almost done though…”

“Then how am I going to memorize it if you don’t show me?”

“I don’t know.”

“You are useless.” Jisoo mumbled.

“I am what?” Leo retorted.

“Useless!” Jisoo repeated before sticking her tongue out to tease Leo. Leo frowned and threw flour at Jisoo.

“You look more useless to me.” Leo said laughing at Jisoo who was now covered in flour.

“I have flour in my mouth and you will pay for it…” Jisoo grumbled before she grabbed a handful of flour and threw it at Leo who dodged. While he did, he threw another handful of flours at Jisoo.

“You will never get me.” Leo said as he ran to the other side of the kitchen.

“It’s war!” Jisoo shouted as she chased Leo around the kitchen with her hands filled with flour.

Eventually the kitchen was a mess and they were both covered in flour. The cake was finished baking inside the oven and they went into decoration. When they were done, they ended up throwing icing and decorations at each other for another round of food fight.

As this went on, the boys came in to work one by one. They all gathered in front of the kitchen to watch Leo and Jisoo throwing food at each other.

“There’s something going on between them…” Baekhyun commented to Chanyeol.

“Why do they look like that?” Ken, who had entered the café last, said when he saw the two in the kitchen.

“Are you guys dating?” Ravi questioned the two when Jisoo bit Leo, who had Jisoo in his arms in midst of rubbing icing on her face.

“No.” The two said in sync and let out a chuckle.

“Well we are going to get customers soon so I would suggest both of leave the café before anyone thinks you are crazy.” Hongbin stated.

“Here.” Leo threw Jisoo a towel so she can wipe of some of the mix of food.

“Clean the kitchen, it’s a mess.”

“But you guys made the mess…” Chanyeol said as Ken and Baekhyun, the two who were in charge of cleaning, sighed and got to work. Ignoring the boys, the two left the kitchen having a conversation. Leo and Jisoo went to each other’s houses and decided to meet up at by the main street from the café.

“Now where are we going?” Leo asked.

“I saw what I had to do, so you will see what you have to do.” Jisoo replied.

“So where are we going?” Leo asked again.

“We are headed to Apgujeong! Though we might get side tracked on the way… But maybe while we are there we can get you some brighter clothing…” Jisoo answered seeing the way Leo was dressed. He was in black mesh striped shirt that he had on with black combat boots, black skinny jeans and a black leather sleeved sweater like jacket.

“What is wrong with what I’m wearing?” Leo said looking at what he had picked out once more.

“I bet your socks are black.” Jisoo stated.

“How did you know?” Leo questioned surprised.

“You’re head to toe black. I can imagine how your closet looks.”

“It’s not like you dr-” Leo began to fight back and stopped midway when he realized Jisoo was dressed rather nicely. She wore pastel yellow overall shorts and a crème colored button down with white high socks and yellow converse. She finished with a white and black fedora and shoulder bag.

“Anything you argue about is invalid because we both know I am dressed nicely.” Jisoo cockily said.

“Let’s go.”

Jisoo suggested taking public transportation; therefore, they ended up taking the subway. Jisoo explained that she will explain why public transportation was necessary later when they get to the place they were headed. Leo was about to fall asleep from the heat and the constant train movement when Jisoo poked his side to wake him up. Jisoo dragged half asleep Leo out the subway and into a street.

“Where are we?” Leo said as he yawned.

“Showing you what I do.” Jisoo said as she leaned by a wall and watched these two people.

“What are you doing?”

“Watching my new clients.”

“You know them?”

“No…”

“Then how are they your new clients?”

“Come on, I’ll show you.”

Leo sighed loudly as Jisoo linked her arms around his arms and dragged him to just behind the couple. 

“Oppa! What should we do today?” Jisoo said cutely to Leo. He stopped moving and looked down at the big smiling girl that was now almost clinging onto his arms. Jisoo blinked rapidly a couple of times waiting for Leo’s answer but there was none she gave him a frown.

“Oppa! Stop staring and answer me!!” Jisoo whined a bit

“Sorry, babe, I was just astounded by your cuteness. We can do anything that you want to do.” Leo said with a smirk as he pinched Jisoo’s cheeks lightly and began to slowly walk to catch up with the couple.

“Hmmm… but I don’t mind doing anything as long as you are there…” Jisoo sighed out.

“Why is everyone so loud in this world?!” The boy in front said purposely to make sure Leo and Jisoo heard.

“Tae, be quiet and stop being rude.” The girl slightly nudged the boy’s side as she took a glance at the two.

“Well maybe if they know that not all people in the world are taken then maybe they can just get a room and stay inside.” The boy named Taemin yelled out. Jisoo let a small smile creep on her face before she turned around and began to walk.

“How about the movies?” Jisoo asked.

“You’re going to run into them…” Leo commented instead of answering.

“But it’s dark so I won’t be able to see your face… how about we go eat?”

“Babe, you’re going to hurt yourself.”

“What should we eat?”

“Jisoo, stop walking backwards or you-” Leo began to say as he reached forward for Jisoo’s hands but Jisoo winked and walked straight into the boy.

“Oh! I am so sorry!” Jisoo said to the boy who had a frown on his face.

“It’s okay, he’ll be fine.” The girl said pulling Taemin’s arms.

“No it is not okay! Can you guys just go away? You’re really annoying.” Taemin snapped.

“I’m sorry… He’s never like this but for some reason he’s a bit cranky today.” The girl apologized.

“Why are you apologizing for, Na Eun? They were the ones being obnoxiously loud and she’s the one who bumped into me!”

“Why are we so annoying to you?” Jisoo asked Taemin.

“Jisoo-yah… let’s just go.” Leo mumbled as he tugged on her arms.

“Because you guys are being obnoxious!”

“But isn’t that what a couple does?”

“Then get a room and stay in the room.”

“But what’s the fun in that if we can have fun outside with nice air?”

“Keep the damn window open, you’ll get air!”

“You’re just annoyed because the girl you love can’t see that you do.” Jisoo retorted and left Taemin at awe.

“You don’t know anything.” Taemin weakly fought back.

“I believe I do. You want me to tell you why my relationships go well all the time?”

“Please don’t… I don’t want to hear it.”

“But I want to.” Na Eun butted in. Taemin was going to argue but Na Eun gave him a soft glare with her lips closed tight and he just sighed and looked at his feet.

“One reason is because I am the owner of a dating agency that has a 100% success rate so I can read both boys and girls like a picture book. But the most important reason is because I’m honest with myself. I tell the person I like how much a like them and he eventually does the same. In other words, I have courage.”

“What happens if the person you love is so oblivious?” Taemin asked with slight sarcasm.

“Then tell her straightforwardly, I like you a lot.” Jisoo said holding onto Leo’s hands and giving him a smile. Leo looked at her with confusion but his heart felt warm and without knowing, smiled and gave Jisoo a squeeze on her hands.

“What happens if the person you love is your best friend?” Taemin weakly asked looking down to his feet, playing with a small pebble on the floor. Na Eun looked at Taemin with round eyes.

“You’re in love with Kai?!” Na Eun exclaimed.

“No, you idiot, I like you!” Taemin shouted out. After realizing what he said, he quickly turned around and began to walk away.

“Ah! It untangled…” Jisoo whispered.

“What?” Leo whispered back.

“Aren’t you going to go after him? If you leave him like that, you guys will never be able to be more than friends…” ignoring Leo, Jisoo said to Na Eun, who was standing there surprised.

“But… how? How did you know?” Na Eun asked.

“I told you, I can read boys and girls like a picture book. Now go before he really gets far. And here, if you want to ever talk to me again.” Jisoo answered and gave her a name card of her agency.

“Okay, thank you!” She said as she began to run to catch up to Taemin.

“Now how did you do that?” Leo asked breaking Jisoo’s stare at the sight of a couple forming.

“Their strings… It was attached to each other but it was tangled. So I just helped them untangle it.” Jisoo explained as she began to walk again.

“And you didn’t get paid for this… I am surprised… It is your job right?”

“I help people without money sometimes, when things are simple.”

“Like Hongbin?”

“Yes, like Hongbin.”

“How do you know the right things to say?” Leo asked.

“I did say that I can read boys and girls like a picture book… I didn’t lie. I am rather good at reading people. That’s why I can tell people how they should change before setting them up with their destined one.” Jisoo explained.

“I see…”

“I hope you realized what you did today is exactly what you’ll have to do.”

“Pretend like I’m your boyfriend?”

“Not just that, I mean acting. You need to act and talk the way the people needs you to persuade them. Today is an example of helping me and some times you will have to do it again or sometimes you’ll have to act alone.”

“Don’t you think if you had a boyfriend of your own, you won’t have to get me to do this?” Leo argued.

“But that’s too much work.” Jisoo explained.

“But won’t it be easier?” He continued to argue.

“It’s definitely easier if I had a boyfriend but I have to deal with him and that’s too much work. And I think I would have more possibility of getting myself one if you let go of my hands…” Jisoo retorted. Leo’s eyes doubled in size when he realized they were strolling down the street holding Jisoo’s hands the whole time.

“Sorry…” Leo awkwardly let go and said.

“I didn’t say you should let go, I was just pointing out that I might be able to get one. And since I don’t want one, I don’t mind. Plus, it’s a lot colder than I thought and you’re hands are nice and warm.” Jisoo said as she grabbed his hands once more.

“Why don’t you want one? Can’t you just follow your strings and get it over with?” Leo asked as he put the hand that was holding Jisoo’s hands into his pocket.

“Look!” Jisoo exclaimed and ran away from Leo to a small stand with little jewelries, scarves and hats. “Aren’t they cute?”

“I thought we are going to buy clothes for me… I don’t think these are made for me…” Leo answered.

“What are you talking about?! Look at you!!” Jisoo stated as she put on a giant ribbon clip on to his hair.

“Please don’t do this…” He sighed out as he pulled it out of his hair.

“Why? You look cute!”

“I think you look cute.” Leo fought back as he put an oversized sunglass on Jisoo.

“I look like a fly and you can barely see my face…”

“Exactly, you are beautiful this way.”

“Can you buy me this instead?” Jisoo asked picking up a key necklace.

“Buy yourself one.”

“Please??” Jisoo whined.

“No.”

“Why not??” Jisoo continued to whine but now using her puppy eyes.

“Okay fine! How much is it?” Leo exclaimed and asked the rather young worker.

“It’s okay you guys can just take it.” The girl said.

“Excuse me?”

“You guys are too cute so I’ll just gift it. It’s almost holiday season so it’s like a small gift from Santa to a cute couple. It’s a couple necklace so you each can take it.” The girl explained handing the “couple” two necklace, one being a key and the other being a lock.

“I’m sorry to say this bu-” Leo began.

“Thank you so much!! Oppa, you can have the lock and I’ll have the key because I’m the key to your heart, right?” Jisoo said handing him the lock necklace.

“Yes you are but it’s not good to take free things, you’ll go bald…” Leo sighed out as he put on the key necklace for Jisoo. (a/n: there’s a Korean saying that if you get too many free things, you’ll end up losing all your hair in place of it.)

“But now oppa and I have a couple necklaces! Isn’t this great?” Jisoo said hugging Leo’s arms. Leo chuckled at he shook his head at Jisoo’s behavior.

“Well thank you for your kind gift.” Leo said to the worker as they said their byes and they walked away.

Leo didn’t argue about how Jisoo dragged him to different stores and bought different clothes for herself and picked one or two out for him as well. She made sure to stop by almost every food stands she saw to try their best order and feed Leo to the point he was feeling sick. It had become almost eight at night when Leo told Jisoo that they should head back to close the café.

“Already?!” Jisoo asked as they began to walk to a taxi.

“We need to help the boys clean up and close up.”

“Can’t we just go home?”

“Why are you tired? Shouldn’t I be more tired then you?”

“I’m always tired after days like this, that’s why I wake up late.”

“Well then, go and get some sleep and I’ll see you tomorrow at six.” “I can’t come tomorrow, I have plans… so I won’t bother you tomorrow either.” Jisoo explains with an apologetic look.

“Okay then, here.” Leo said as he handed her the lock necklace.

“Why are you giving me this?” Jisoo frowned.

“What am I going to do with this?”

“Wear it like how you are supposed to with a necklace… what else would you do with it?”

“Why would I wear it though?”

“It was a gift, just wear it!” The taxi had stopped in front of Jisoo’s house and she ran out, waving her hands above her head with a wide smile.

“Your girlfriend is very lovely and cheerful. You must love that about her.” The taxi driver said.

“Of course, what can I hate about her?” Leo said with sarcasm intended that the driver did not catch.

 

14don03-1.jpg

 

 author's note 
This was an intention of a filler chapter but I made too many things happen so it became 11 pages, 3,205 words on Word...
Well next chapter will be about N and his story which will become a big part in the story
BUUUUTTT
It's finals week of school, which means FINALSSSSS!!
I'll try and post before Christmas as a present (that is if anyone is waiting for this at all...)
Maybe it will be a double update, seeing how things work out for me in that week.

It isn't proofread but I shouldn't have much mistakes hopefully and I hope you enjoyed the chapter ^^

» layout credit