2. Just the Start

The Red String

CHAPTER  TWO   “jUST  THE  START”

 

 

After finding out about Leo’s string, Jisoo had ran out the café as she heard Ravi mumbling something about how weird she was and Leo had simple shook his head and walked out the café as well. When she had gotten home, she went straight to bed, trying to forget about what had happened that day.

Much to her dismay, her phone had begun to play Bangtan Boys’ The Rise of Bangtan to alarm her that she was getting a phone call.

“Hello?” Jisoo grumbled out as she squirmed in her pile of blanket and pillows.

“Did you just wake up?” Hyosung asked.

“No, I just feel like I thought I should pick up the phone that way.”

“Well get your out of bed, let’s have a girl’s day out!!” Jisoo heard Jieun shout into the phone.

“But I just woke up and it’s my first day off from work since the longest time ever… can’t I just rest?”

“That is exactly the reason you need to get yourself out of the house to play with us! We haven’t seen you like you said the longest time ever!!” Hyosung retorted.

“Okay fine but let’s meet later.”

“When is later? It’s already like two in the afternoon.” Jieun commented.

“I’ll see you guys at eight. BYE!!!!!” Jisoo said and without listening to what they wanted to say, she hung up.

Jisoo loved those two girls. They were the only two friends who stuck around even when she told them about her secret. But sometimes, they were such a pain when they wanted something from her even if it’s because they simply just loves her. Smiling about how much she loved the two even all the reasons why she hates them, she got up and stretched. Her smile soon disappeared when she saw a sleeping (and half ) body on her bed.

“Note to self… make sure to change the lock so this bum doesn’t get in…” Jisoo sighed out as she rolled her eyes and went into the kitchen.

Jisoo had her hair was pushed back with a headband since her hair was too short to put up into a ponytail or a bun. She put on an apron and began to cook. After about twenty minutes, she had a table full of appetizing food. She hurried herself into her room to wake the boy. She pulled off all the blankets she can find onto the floor so that the only thing on the bed was the half- boy. The boy began to squirm from the lack of warmth he was getting and eventually go up with a big grunt.

“Do you really have to wake me up like this? I have to get as much sleep I can get when I can get it. Today would be the best day to do so.” The boy said as he tried to fix his bed head.

“Just get up, you bum. I’m a nice person and made brunch.”

“Oh come on, let’s go back to sleep!! I came in late!!” the boy argued.

“And please put on a shirt…” Jisoo said rather annoyed.

“I don’t want to!! Plus I know you want all this hot-N-ness!!”

“Really, N?”

“You’ve seen everything! We’ve known each other even before we can walk and talk. This is nothing… now, let me sleep…” N said as he curled up into a ball, hugging the pillow.

“First, you are in MY house, sleeping on MY bed, I will do whatever I want in my house and you will not tell me what to do. If you want to do that, then do it in your house. Second, you didn’t even ask to be here… you literally broke into my house that is illegal, I can put you in jail. Three, if you don’t get out of here in less than ten seconds… I swear, you’ll be kicked out without having a bite of the food in the kitchen.” Jisoo threatened.

“But I’m practically your brother, Jisoo! Your house is my house, right?” He said giving Jisoo a droopy hug.

“No, Mr. Cha Hakyeon. Now please, get your filthy hands off my body.”

“I’m not filthy!!”

“I swear, N… if you don’t get off me, I kick you somewhere you don’t want me to. And yes, I won’t be sorry. So get yourself out of this room and into the kitchen or you’re really not going to have anything to eat.” Jisoo snapped and N slowly backed away covering his very important area just in case.

“Yes, ma’am!!” N soluted as a reply.

“And really… find yourself a shirt, you old ert.”

“I’m not old! I’m only four years older than you.” N complained some more.

“Gramps.” Jisoo whispered before leaving the room.

N put on a shirt as he grumbled about Jisoo and her annoying personality. But that all stopped when he walked into the kitchen and was greeted by wonderful smelling food. He scurried over to his bowl of rice and began to stuff his mouth with every type of food possible.

“THIS is why I love you, Jisoo!!” N said smiling with food stuffed into the side making him look like a chipmunk storing food in his cheeks.

“Slow down!! You’re digestive system won’t be able to handle breaking down food if you don’t chew!! Do you even eat at that club of yours?!” Jisoo said as she tried to dodge N’s chopsticks and get a slice of meat.

“Come to think of it... I don’t think I had anything after breakfast except bunch of nuts and fruits...” N said with his mouth full.

“You really need a better job than owning a stupid night club. If you don’t eat properly, you’ll age faster.” Jisoo complained giving him a nasty stare at the piece of rice that flew out of N’s mouth.

“What’s wrong with my club? I get free drinks and meet all the girls I want. What more can I ask more?!”

“And THIS is why I hate you, .”

“You doing anything today?” N asked ignoring what Jisoo said.

“Hyosung and Jieun called for a girls’ day out.” Jisoo replied finally getting that piece of meat she wanted for the past five minutes.

“Well then, you guys should play at my place!”

“Why so you can flirt with my friends?”

“What? No!”

“You said that last time and you flirted with Hyosung and Jieun alternatingly the whole night...”

“I don’t flirt with the same person twice. You’re friends are sadly safe from my gorgeous body and flirting skills.”

“Really now, N? You’re so conceited, that is why you won’t be able to get married anytime soon!” Jisoo replied rolling her eyes.

“And I won’t... Unless you agree to marry me and cook me food everyday. Then I won’t mind getting married.” N said giving it some good thought.

“Why would I want to marry an old ert like you?” Jisoo asked getting up to get ready to leave.

“I’ll make a reservation for you on the VIP floor. It’ll be open for you all day, come by any time.”

"You're really stubborn, Hakyeon..." Jisoo sighed and walked into her room for a shower.

By the time Jisoo got out of the bathroom and was fully dressed into a fitted white t-shirt, blue skinny jeans and a slim leather jacket, N was no longer in the house. He had cleaned up the kitchen by clearing the table and doing the dishes. He had also made the bed that was stripped from all the blankets because of him. This made Jisoo smile at the stupid acts of his childhood best friend.

When it was time, Jisoo went to meet up the with the girls. They went to their usual Italian restaurant for their full course of bread, soup, pizza and pasta. They talked about what each of them had missed. After hours of catching up and hopping from cafe to cafe, Hyosung and Jieun has successfully dragged Jisoo to N's night club as their last stop for their hangout. It wasn't that she didn't want to go there, it's just there are so many people together with the people they are not supposed to be with and it bothered Jisoo more than it should.

"I thought it was a Girls Day Out..." Jisoo complained over the loud music as she eyes the couple across from her who weren't meant to be together.

"It is!" The two girls said together and giggled.

"Why are we here then?" Jisoo asked.

"We aren't here to flirt with anyone, I thought it would be a good way for all of us to relieve our stress." Hyosung replied.

"And you thought bringing me here would relieve my stress?!" Jisoo questioned again now slightly annoyed the two who were literally eating each others faces in the booth behind Hyosung and Jieun.

"Okay fine, we thought we can get you someone. You need to get yourself a partner for your business!" Jieun responded.

"What partner?"

"You always break up couples to get couples together and it gives you so much stress. You need a guy to do some of that for you so at least half of the burden is away." Hyosung answered this time.

"We're not saying you need a boyfriend... We just think you need a handsome and good at acting guy friend who can help you out in that agency of yours." Jieun finished.

"And where am I going to find that?!"

"I don't know, that's your problem..." Hyosung said and Jieun nodded.

"But you can do us a favor and find us our soul mate..." Jieun added.

"Are you going to pay me?" Jisoo asked.

"We are your best friends and you still want to make money off us?!" Jieun shouted.

"Well it's my job..."

"Come on~~ please?" Hyosung joined Jieun in begging. Jisoo sighed and looked around to see where their strings were headed. Surprisingly, it ended up somewhere rather close.

"I'm done for the day..." Jisoo said as she got up to leave.

"You're leaving without helping us?!" Hyosung said with a pouty face.

"I'm leaving but you two should stay... They are a lot closer than you think." Jisoo said eyeing the two boys in the two booths across from their left who were looking towards their booth. With that Jisoo took her leave.

Jisoo decided to take the long way back home. She could've simply rode the taxi straight home but she decided to stop by the big street a couple blocks from the cafe. Main reason for that was because she wanted a relaxing walk from the loud music in the club but also to see the owner of the cafe. When she got nearby, she noticed how the lights were all off but the front lights that the owner had just turned off. She watched him locked the door and leave the cafe through the back. Jisoo stood there looking into dark cafe for a couple of minutes before she began to walk once again. The moment she stepped into her house, she began to take off her clothes. When she reached the bathroom, she was only in her undergarments and a tank top. She let the shower head drop cold drops on her skin, letting her hair and body can drenched within seconds. Soon she slid down and hugged her knees with the water still continuing to drench her. It had been about thirty minutes of sitting under the water when suddenly the door knob shook and someone barged in.

“OH MY GOD JISOO YOU ANNOYING PIECE OF HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SITTING THERE WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO DIE?!” N said as he zipped his pants down and began to pee.

“WHAT THE HELL?! WHY ARE YOU STICKING THAT OUT IN FRONT OF ME?!” Jisoo yelled back.

“I’ve been waiting in front of the bathroom for twenty minutes for you to come out. Obviously you weren’t coming out and my bladder was on the verge to pop.” “How did you even get the door open?!”

“I know where you keep the keys, I practically live here.”

“BUT THIS ISN’T YOUR HOUSE, YOU ERT! CAN’T YOU SEE I’M TAKING A SHOWER?! WHY WOULD YOU BARGE IN LIKE THAT?!”

“Jisoo… I’ve seen you before, I don’t get why you are freaking out so much. Plus, you aren’t completely .” N calmly replied as he flushed.

“Really, N? I really don’t want to see your body… So get out of MY bathroom!” Jisoo said giving N a nasty stare.

“What’s bothering you?” N said putting the toilet cover down and taking a seat.

“Shut up and leave.”

“You do this all the time when you have something bothering you. Just tell me, it’s better than sitting in cold water for hours and catching a cold.”

“I can’t see it…” Jisoo sighed out, turning the water off.

“Like how you can’t see mine?” N questioned. Jisoo didn’t reply but looked up with teary eyes. N didn’t need her to say anything but he gave her a small smile.

“You know, you need to do something about it… You don’t want the person to end up like me.”

“There’s nothing wrong about you…”

“But you know better than I do that if you leave that person alone, it’s going to get tangled and when you can see it, you won’t be able to help at all… Plus, I don’t want to see someone else in a position like me.” N said rather cheerfully.

“Do you think I can help?” Jisoo asked N cautiously.

“Since when did you think lowly of yourself?” N asked surprised at Jisoo’s tone.

“It’s just such a different situation... I barely know him and I don’t know why he doesn’t have his string… there’s too much to do.” Jisoo whined.

“I know you can do it. You tried your best when it happened to me but I didn’t listen so maybe I was a practice for you. You always do well, so you will be able to do it perfectly.” N encouraged.

“Now, I shall take my leave though I would like to shower with you but I know how much you don’t want that happening…”

“If you know it, then get out you ert.”

“I’m leaving… I’m leaving… I left some food for you on the table. You left with saying bye and I am upset about that but you also left before I came with some food for us so I came to drop it off. Eat it before it gets cold.” N explained before he closed the door.

Jisoo heard N get his shoe on and her front door close. This was the main reason why, even though she hated N with all her heart, she couldn’t get rid of him. There was no one in the world that, though in a very erted and odd way, understands and cares for her like N did. She knew so well that the only reason why he came to her was because, though all she does is say mean things to her and cook, Jisoo was the only who didn’t mind taking care of his mess. They needed each other in each other’s life, they just didn’t know it. Jisoo took a deep breath and finally took her shower. When she got out, she noticed the food N mentioned was dukbokgi (spicy rice cakes) which he knew that she loved. She ate it with a smile as she tried to plan out how she can get Leo to let her talk to her. 

 

14don03-1.jpg

 

Jisoo woke up with her minds cleared and with great determination. She was going to ask Leo about his past, she didn’t know how but she was willing to do anything to find out. She did her usual morning routine and walked out of the house with a white t-shirt, green cargo jacket, light pink high waist A-line skirt, and she finished it off with white knee high socks, black pumps and shoulder bag. She lightened up the look more by having her shirt hair curled into small curls that made her look like a cute doll.

When Jisoo got to the café, it was empty. She noticed how Hyuk, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were sitting at a table talking about something that seemed to be very entertaining for them. Ravi was sitting at a high chair that was placed behind the counter (probably put it there for his own benefit) and he was taking a nap. Ken was leaning against the wall by the trash can holding a broom and his phone. Hongbin was behind the counter smiling big as he was talking to someone on the phone.

“Yah!” Jisoo said as she light hit Ravi on the shoulder and he jumped awake.

“What?!” Ravi said annoyed at Jisoo waking up his afternoon nap.

“I want my usual.”

“We are out of cakes.”

“What?! Why?!” Jisoo shouted as she rushed over to the cake stand to find it empty.

“It happens once in a while, I can make you your coffee though we are off for a bit.” Hongbin answered, seeing he had gotten off the phone call.

“But the café is opened…” Jisoo said with a sad face.

“Leo hyung is making more right now so we should be opening again in about an hour or two. Didn’t you see the closed sign outside?” Hyuk said.

“Obviously this idiot didn’t notice it seeing she walked in thinking she can get her usual.” Ravi snapped, he was still angry that Jisoo had waked him up.

“Stop being so mean to her, Ravi. Here’s your coffee.” Hongbin gave Ravi a smack on the back of his head and handed Jisoo her coffee.

“Oh! Jisoo! I love you, by the way.” Ken exclaimed as he rushed over and sat down next to the seat that Jisoo was sitting in.

“You do?” Jisoo asked surprised at Ken’s sudden confession.

“If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have met Kyungri!” Ken continued to exclaim.

“Oh that, I’m glad you are having a great time with her. But isn’t she older than you?”

“Age is just some numbers, plus it’s only a few.” Ken replied.

“I agree.” Hongbin commented.

“That’s because your new girlfriend is older than you as well.” Baekhyun commented.

“I should thank you for that as well.” Hongbin stated.

“It’s nothing to be thankful about… but what you guys should be thankful about it that I did it for free. You know I get paid to do things like this!” Jisoo said jokingly.

“Then you should help me too!” Hyuk suggested.

“Oh please, Hyuk. I think you have all the time in the world!”

“Then help Ravi hyung so he can be less grumpy!”

“That is a good idea…” Chanyeol agreed.

“Well, I can’t help you guys since I don’t have anyone to introduce... More like I don’t have the time to go and follow all your strings... But I can tell you things that you should change or improve.” Jisoo said. “I might not look like it but I am an expert at this.”

“Okay tell me mine!” Hyuk said smiling big.

“Well first off, I get you are acting you age and being the happy go-around, but don't do that eye smile. Also the sweet comments, too. A lot of the girls might find it attractive but also it can come off as a flirt.” Jisoo replied and Hyuk nodded as he tried to process this.

“This is really stupid…” Ravi sighed out.

“You, mister, need to fix that attitude. I don’t mind if you do it to me since I don’t care what you think of me or what I do for a living but if you keep doing that to everyone, the person lose every drop of interest she had in you to begin with. Plus you have a nice voice, I’m sure every girl will swoon over you if you say nice things with that vice of yours.” Jisoo explained.

“How about us?” Baekhyun said excitedly.

“I don’t think you guys need me to say anything…” Jisoo commented.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Ken asked.

“It means there’s nothing wrong with loving someone, you don’t need to be discouraged about what others say.” Jisoo answered.

Despite having said something totally random and rather confusing, Baekhyun and Chanyeol seemed to like the answer. Chanyeol mouthed a thank you to Jisoo and she gave him a bright smile.

“How come someone an expert in love be single?” Someone from behind the crowd said and everyone turned to see Leo standing there with a slice of red velvet cheesecake. Even though Leo had a slice of her favorite cake in front of her, what he had said seemed to bother her more than it should. Her shining smile became emotionless and stared at Leo for a bit.

“I’m singe because I choose to be single. I can get one anytime I want.” Jisoo said with her smile back on her face.

“You have no way to prove that.” Leo snapped.

"Well you should smile more. I don't know why you don't smile or ignore everyone, but everyone has their story and reasons to how they are. That shouldn't be the reason not to smile. If you smile, luck will come in and generally your life will get better."

“You think just a small movement in your face muscle will bring luck and happiness?”

“You can’t say it doesn’t work if you don’t try.”

“Well, since everyone is here and all… I have something to say.” Chanyeol’s deep voiced interrupted the intense stare that Leo and Jisoo was having.

“What is it?” Leo asked.

“Jisoo must know what she is doing for sure if she can tell my feelings,” Chanyeol said.

“Stop twisting your words around and just say it.” Ravi retorted.

“I’m dating Baekhyun.”

“YOU’RE WHAT?!” Hyuk, Ken, Hongbin and Ravi screamed at the same time while Jisoo just stared at the lovely couple and Leo just glared at the crowded that literally screeched.

“Chanyeol and I are dating. We have been for a bit.” Baekhyun nonchalantly answered.

“Is that why Jisoo was saying weird things before?” Hongbin asked.

“I don’t know how she noticed but she did and it gave us courage.” Baekhyun said.

“Maybe, Jisoo noona is an expert!” Hyuk said with a big smile.

“Maybe I am.” Jisoo said giving a smirk to Leo.

Leo just shook his head and left the café through the back door. Jisoo pouted and decided to follow Leo. She followed him without saying a word and watched the way he walked. She noticed a few things as she did this. He seemed to like nature, he would look around seeing the trees and birds that flew by despite the fact that it looked like he walked this road almost every day. She also realized he did smile, obviously not to her but to little dogs and cats that he ran into and also small children that ran around the street playing with their friends.

“How long do you plan on following me?” Leo asked as he stopped all of a sudden and making Jisoo freeze in place when she was taking a step.

“You knew?” Jisoo asked with her eyes wide open and still in the same position where she left frozen.

“How am I not supposed to know if you are following me like that out in the open?” Leo asked not understanding why she was doing this.

“Very true…” Jisoo commented standing up straight and walking up towards Leo.

“What do you want?” “You.” “What?” Leo frowned at Jisoo, who was smiling widely at him.

“I want you.” Jisoo said cheekily.

“Go away.” Leo snapped and turned around to leave.

“I just need you to do something for me! I’ll do anything in trade for it!” Jisoo said following him, now right by his side.

“I don’t need you to do anything and I don’t have any interest in helping you at all. Why don’t you go ask the others, they seem to like you.”

“I don’t care if you don’t like me or not, I need YOUR help.”

“Please go away.”

“Fine don’t help me, I’ll just follow you around for the rest of your life until you help me.”

“Do whatever you want, you’re just going to tire yourself out.”

“Oh trust me… you don’t know what I can do…”

Leo walked away with a bit of worry, Jisoo’s evil smile lingering his mind.

 

 

 

14don03-1.jpg

 

 author's note DONE! Check out the Links on the side, sometimes they have songs that might be helpful while reading xP Not saying in this chapter specifically but maybe in the near future... I shall leave a heads up when it happens

» layout credit