Chapter 9

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

Of all days! OF ALL DAYS, they have to pick TODAY! First, Jess kissed me. Second, Taeyeon confessed. Scratch that. She almost confessed and I kind of rejected her.

 

“AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!” I let out my frustration as I hit my forehead against the bench.

 

I am screwed.

 

“Hey, you alright?” A familiar voice interrupted again.

 

“Go away, Jess.” I replied without lifting my head.

 

“But…”

 

“Sssshh.” I lifted my hand and signaled her to stop. “Just go back to your Yuri and get another make out session or whatever.”

 

“Oh, you saw that.” She stated plainly and undeterred as she sat down in front of me.

 

“Yeah, what was that about anyway?” I asked as I pushed away my problems for the moment while rubbing my forehead to ease that throbbing headache.

 

“Well, she was too passive and I didn’t want to be the first to confess so…”

 

-

 

Flashback

 

“YAH! KWON YURI! Stop or I will never ever talk to you again!” Jessica shouted at the top of her lungs as she tried to catch her breath.

 

“Why did you come after me anyway?” Yuri asked as if she didn’t care but her falling tears betrayed her.

 

“Can you repeat what you just said?” Jessica asked back as she walked closer to Yuri.

 

“Erm, why did you come after me anyway?” Yuri repeated her question, confused.

 

“No, not that. What you shouted earlier in the classroom.” Jessica asked, wanting to hear those words again.

 

A moment of silence swept across the hallway as Yuri was not sure where the conversation was heading to.

 

“Why do you care anyway?” she repeated what Jessica said earlier as she held her pride.

 

“Because I like you, Yuri!” Jessica exclaimed, frustrated with the apprehensive Yuri.

 

However, Yuri was not convinced.

 

“Oh yeah? Then why did you kiss Tiffany?!” Yuri shouted back, a little angry at how Jessica could make things seemed like nothing had happened.

 

“That was just a friendly kiss!” Jessica proclaimed, unwilling to back down and moved even closer to Yuri.

 

“What… What friendly kiss?!” Yuri stuttered as she back away from Jessica and into an empty classroom.

 

“You know, a friendly kiss like a kiss between just friends.” Jessica replied with a grin as she saw how Yuri reacted to her advances.

 

“I don’t… don’t see that as a… friendly… kiss.” Yuri continued to stutter as her heart started to pump erratically at the close proximity of Jessica. “What are you doing?!” she exclaimed as Jessica came a little too close for comfort.

 

“Show you the difference between a friendly kiss and… a not so friendly kiss.” Jessica replied with a smirk and jumped onto Yuri.

 

-

 

“OKAY. TMI.” I rolled my eyes as I interrupted her recount of what happened.

 

“Yeah, that’s that. So, where’s Taeyeon?” she mimicked my eye rolling action.

 

Ugh. I can totally feel that headache coming back now.

 

“I kind of… sort of… rejected her before she even confessed.”

 

She blinked twice as she processed what I just said.

 

“YAH! Why did you do that?!!” she shouted as she knocked my forehead. “Wait, what do you mean by before she confessed? You didn’t even let her finish?!”

 

She rubbed her temple as she mumbled, “You are so screwed.”

 

You don’t say.

 

I rolled my eyes again as I let my head fall onto the bench yet again.

 

Now what do I tell the other Tiffany?!

 

-

 

“Jess kissed you.” She calmly stated after I recited the day’s events and prepared for my death.

 

Would that be murder or suicide? Considering she is technically me? I thought for a moment before realizing it was not a time for self-exploration.

 

“YAH! That’s not the point!”

 

“Right. TaeTae was about to confessed!” she squealed as she spaced out like a love-struck teenager would.

 

I glared at her as I was baffled at how she could ignore the fact that I kind of… sort of… rejected Taeyeon on her behalf.

 

“The point is…I kind of… sort of… rejected Taeyeon… on your behalf.” I started off sternly but trailed off with guilt.

 

“Oh… But she was about to confessed! That counts for something, right?” she asked, full of anticipation.

 

She’s an optimist, huh?

 

“Yeah.” I shrugged. “But we still have to fix it.

 

Nothing good comes out of a misunderstanding that is left unresolved. It should be fixed as soon as possible, if that means right at that moment.

 

“Yeah! That’s right. We have to fix it, NOW.” I continued as I reaffirmed my own thoughts. Without warning, I grabbed my ‘ninja’ getup and dragged the other Tiffany out of the house.

 

“Now??!”

 

-

 

“Wait, wait, WAIT!” Tiffany panicked as we stood right in front of Taeyeon’s house. “I am not ready for this!”

 

I sighed as I let go of her hand and looked into her eyes.

 

“Look, you like Taeyeon and Taeyeon obviously like you back. There’s no need for extravagant words or settings when your relationship is at stake. You can save those for the future which depends on whether you actually get a future with her. All you need to do is to tell her what’s in your heart and how you feel about her. So trust me, you are ready.” I said sincerely.

 

She smiled and nodded weakly.

 

Here goes nothing.

 

I knocked on the door and made a quick dash to the bushes at the side and waited.

 

-

 

“What do you want?” Taeyeon asked when she opened the door and I could feel hostility in her words.

 

Tiffany froze as she stared at Taeyeon motionlessly.

 

“If you have nothing to say, then I am going back in.” Taeyeon stated plainly as she threatened to close the door. However, the door seemed to be stuck as it didn’t budge when Taeyeon pushed the door.

 

“NO!” Tiffany snapped back into reality and held the door. “I want to say… erm… I want to apologize for this afternoon…”

 

“No need for that.” Taeyeon interrupted and I could see hurt in her eyes.

 

“Nonono, you misunderstood!” Tiffany hastily exclaimed. “I… I… wasn’t myself then.”

 

She wasn’t lying. I thought as I felt my hands sweating with anxiety.

 

“So?” Taeyeon coldly retorted.

 

“So… So…”Tiffany stuttered as she looked around and thought of what to say. Just then, she caught my eyes and I gave her assuring nod.

 

She took a deep breath and then looked directly into Taeyeon’s eyes.

 

“Look, I am sorry for how I acted this afternoon but that’s not I really want to say. I just want to let you know how I feel about you. I know we have only known each other for only a short while and I am not even sure if I can call this love. I didn’t know why but you can make me feel comfortable yet make my heart race like crazy when I am with you. I didn’t know why but I feel like we have endless topics to talk about and I can share with you everything, even my deepest secrets.  I didn’t know why but I always find myself smiling for no reasons when I am with you. I didn’t know why but I don’t like it when you are close with someone else.  I didn’t know why but I don’t feel the same with other people. I didn’t know then but I know now, for sure. I like you Taeyeon. I really do, more than a friend should.” Tiffany blurted out all her feelings in one shot.

 

Wow, how did she do that? Where’s the panicky Tiffany that I know? I thought as I looked at Tiffany in awe.

 

Taeyeon on the hand, started to tear up.

 

“I… I… I am… so sorry!” Tiffany started to panic as she saw Taeyeon’s teary eyes.

 

“Maybe… maybe… we should forget about this?” Tiffany asked hesitantly as her tears started to well up too.

 

Now that’s the panicky Tiffany I know. I thought as I sighed. Please, Taeyeon, say something!

 

“No!” Taeyeon burst out when Tiffany backed away and she quickly pulled Tiffany into a tight hug.

 

“I… I… like you too.”

 

“YES!” I did a fist pump and jumped up in joy, only to realize they were staring at me.

 

“Oops.” I muttered as I looked back at them and adjusted my mask awkwardly. “Well, I should go. You guys continue…”

 

-

 

“So… this is goodbye, I guess?” Tiffany sighed as she held my hands.

 

I nodded in reply.

 

My job here was pretty much done. They have decided to get together and take things slowly as they work out where their relationship stands. After spending more than a week here, I was starting to worry about my own dimension so when they got together, I thought I shouldn’t linger around. As much as I would like to proceed to the next dimension immediately to see what it will bring me, I really need to check back to my world to ensure everything was in order.

 

For once, things are going nicely and slowly. I chuckled at that thought. I was nonetheless happy with that, as I was sure they will work it out anyhow.

 

“Promise me you will take this relationship seriously and try and work things out with her if anything happens?” I suddenly took up the motherly role.   

 

She also nodded her head in reply as she pulled me into a farewell hug.

 

“Or else I will try to find a way to break the rule and come back here to steal her from you.” I jokingly threatened, trying to ease the dampen mood.

 

“YAH! You wouldn’t!” Tiffany pulled away from the hug and hit me on the shoulders.

 

We both laughed at our silliness for a while before I found tears flowing down her cheek.

 

“Take care.” I said sadly as I wept her tears with my thumb. I turned the hour hand of the pocket watch to nine and took a last look at her.

 

At least I did something right here.

 

She gave me an assuring nod that she will be fine and I smiled back as I pushed the knob.

 

Click.

 

-

 

A/N:

I actually added the Yulsic flashback as an explanation of why they escalated so fast although I didn't think about it initially. Lol.

Hmm, I thought about whether "Michelle" will be recongnised while I was writing. The thing is, you don't normally suspect something is off since "Michelle" do look exactly like Tiffany(She technically is Tiffany). Unless she does something uncharacteristic of her, like offering to help out in the kitchen as with her mum. Besides, it seems like both Jessica and Taeyeon both have alot on their minds when they were with "Michelle" aka Jess with her kissing plan and whatnot while Tae was thinking about confessing. So they are kind of caught up with their own thoughts.

That's the thing about one person's POV isn't it? Hard to tell what is on other's mind but I don't want to change the format of the story cos it will drag things out. I had planned for this to be Taeny short stories in different dimensions with the dimension-travelling Tiff as a backstory. Oops, is that too much information?

Haha, yeah, switching places is a bad idea but I still want a clone. Bleah.

Anyway, did I end this dimension a little too hastily? I thought about cutting it into two chapters but I just... don't know what to say. So please comment so I get an idea when we move on to the following dimensions.

Thanks!! =)