Chapter 18

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

Same restaurant. Same seats. Same old me hiding at the corner to stalk the new couple.

 

The only thing that changed is that their feelings were no longer under the table.

 

It seemed like Tiffany wanted to make all of it right. That includes the disastrous dinner the other night.

 

Shy glances.

Random smiles.

Occasional hand touching.

 

The two long time best friends were acting like lovers on a first date.  

 

“You look beautiful.” Taeyeon boldly commented.

 

Tiffany looked confused as she unconsciously adjusted her glasses. It was a impromptu decision to come back to the restaurant so they were still in their outfits from the amusement park. No elaborate make ups. No elegant dresses. No pupil enlarging contacts. Just plain old Tiffany.

 

Seeing Tiffany bewildered expression, Taeyeon smiled.

 

“You were indeed gorgeous the other night but I also love just the way you are right now.” Taeyeon said as she reached out to tuck Tiffany’s hair behind her ears.

 

Staring into Tiffany’s eyes, Taeyeon continued, “I love how your bulky glasses make you look studious and smart. I love how comfortably you act when you are in your nerdy outfits. I love how your skin still glows without make ups.”

 

Taeyeon paused for a moment as she gently held Tiffany’s hand in her own before looking back into Tiffany’s eyes.

 

“I love everything because you are… you.”

 

Tiffany looked down shyly as she rubbed the back of Taeyeon’s hand with her thumb. Suddenly, she looked back up with a poker face.

 

“Did you just call me nerdy? And what do you mean by I look smart? FYI, I have a degree in the sciences.”

 

“Wha…What?!” Taeyeon was baffled by how Tiffany twisted her words when all she wanted was to say sweet nothings to the her love.

 

Seeing Taeyeon all flustered, Tiffany couldn’t stop the corner of the lips to curl upwards.

 

Unfortunately for Tiffany, Taeyeon saw that and realized Tiffany was only teasing her.

 

“All those are nothing in comparison to what I am going to say next. “ Taeyeon said with a smirk.

 

Cocking an eyebrow, Tiffany looked at Taeyeon in anticipation of the finger curling words.

 

“I love Jessica too.”

 

What. The. Phuck. My eyes widen at that statement.

 

On the other hand, Tiffany’s face totally fell in an instant as she stared at Taeyeon blankly.

 

“Pftahhahahahha!” Taeyeon burst out laughing as she saw Tiffany’s face.

 

“YAH!” Tiffany exclaimed as she glared at Taeyeon.

 

Wiping off her tears, Taeyeon finally stopped laughing and took a deep breath.

 

“If I love Jessica means I love you, then I love Jessica too.” Taeyeon explained with a grin.

 

“Yah-ah…” Tiffany’s stance softened and started whining. It seemed like Taeyeon wouldn’t let that one slip any time soon.

 

Being attentive as she always is, Taeyeon stood up and sat beside Tiffany as she cupped Tiffany’s face towards her.

 

“I love you, Tiffany Hwang Mi Young.” Taeyeon said seriously this time as she looked deep into Tiffany’s eyes.

 

Hearing those words at last, Tiffany shyly replied with the same resolve. “I love you too, Kim Tae Yeon.”

 

Just as she said those words, Tiffany immediately looked away shyly but was held in place by Taeyeon.

 

“Oh no you don’t. Not until I get my kiss.” Taeyeon leaned in for a kiss before releasing Tiffany.

 

Tiffany blushed further when they broke the kiss.

 

Guess that’s something she has to get used to. I thought as I saw Tiffany’s reddened cheeks.

 

Taeyeon stayed in the seat next to Tiffany for the rest of the night instead of opposite of her.

 

Love was in the air as they fed each other their own food and showered each other with random kisses, each time getting bolder and not ending with either of them looking away shyly.

 

As the dinner comes to an end, they have become all too sweet that it hurts to look. I decided it’s about time that I head home for a rest and leave the lovebirds alone.

 

When I asked for the bill, I was surprised by what came next.

 

“Miss, your meal has already been paid for by another customer. Hope you have enjoyed your meal.” The waiter said.

 

“Who…”

 

“The customer preferred to remain anonymous.” The waiter answered as he expected my question about the mysterious customer.

 

Shrugging off the odd feeling of getting a free meal for no reason, I left the restaurant.

 

-

 

I thought it was hard to watch the interaction between the two at the restaurant. I was wrong. The drama played out at our front door was way worse.

 

The two were reluctant to leave each other so saying good bye took them around 20 minutes. And just when I thought Taeyeon was finally going to leave, she turned right back to capture Tiffany into a passionate kiss.

 

Luckily, our Tiffany’s neighbor returned home and they had to pull away from each other. If not, I swear those two were going into a full make out session at the door. Or worse, into the house. I do not have anything against it, except my predicament of being Tiffany number 2 would probably freak Taeyeon out. In fact, I was so worried that I left my disguise on just in case.

 

As I poured myself a cup of tea, Tiffany was dancing her way towards me, all dizzy over her date. I looked at her in amusement as she dramatically spins into the seat at the kitchen.

 

I totally believe it when they said love makes people stupid as I watched the girl in front of me touched everything on the kitchen table like they looked different from before. I rolled my eyes as I sat across her and put down my cup.

 

It was then I realized she was fiddling with my dimension travelling watch I left on the table.

 

With her soul left with Taeyeon, she turned the knob as my eyes widen.

 

“Stop!” I quickly reached for the watch when I heard the familiar sound.

 

Click.

 

I closed my eyes instinctively as I cursed at our stupidity.

 

After a second, I slowly opened one of my eyes to see a horrified Tiffany frozen in realization of what she just did.

 

I took a glance at my surrounding and realized I was still at the same spot while the other Tiffany was also still here.

 

That was anticlimax. I thought as I grabbed the watch back from the frozen Tiffany.

 

“How… Why… Is it spoilt?” Tiffany asked in relief when she realized we were all still in the same place.

 

I frowned at her question as I gave the watch a shake.

 

“It better not be.” I muttered as I pushed the knob in without thinking.

 

Stupid. That makes two of us.

 

Click.

 

The familiar bright light flashed across my eyes and blinded me again. The next thing I felt was the yet again familiar pain in my .

 

GREAT.

 

I thought as my eyes slowly adjust to the current lighting but nothing could prepare me for the shock I was going to get.

 

HOLY. CRAP.

 

I found myself sitting on the floor next to a bus stop in the middle of a bustling street where passersby were giving me weird looks. But that was not all. I was staring at the advertisement board at the bus stop. With me staring back at me.  And then I saw the fine print with my signature at the side – ‘Endorsed by Tiffany Hwang.’

 

O. M. G.

I am a star??!!

 

-

 

A/N:

Okay, I have decided that this story will have sudden twists. Because I don't know how to make subtle transitions.