33. Minho's Past

My HatefulBoyfriend

Minho just stared at Yuri as he himself didn’t know how to say it. Seeing him couldn’t say it, she continued talking. “I know you aren’t naturally bad. I’m sure there must be something that caused you to change. Nickhun told me before that you have an unpleasant past that might be the reason that you changed to be a person like this. I didn’t know about your past but I’m quite sure that the unpleasant past had made you weak. I think being bad is your way to cover you weakness, right? Honestly, I don’t think it will help at all… because the past would keep haunting you and you will still feel sad and lonely. For example, those dreams… dreams that keep haunting you.”

“I…”

She could see in his eyes that he really wanted to share his problems with her but he still couldn’t bring himself yet. She could understand that because it would take time to tell the secret that had been concealed for years especially the secret that had caused a person to turn into a hard dull stone. However, at the very least, she had managed to break the hard strong ice of his heart and it would take quite some times before she could manage to melt his heart.

She smiled at him before getting up. “Let’s go!” She pulled his hand asking him to get up too. She looked very enthusiastic.

Having no choice, he got up. “Where are we going?”

“I know you are tired, but staying in this room, just makes you feel sicker. Let’s go to an open place, with the sunshine brightened up, beautiful trees and we can hear the beautiful sound made by the birds and insects.”

“But…”

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” Yuri with her feelings so high, pulling Minho out from the villa.

Yuri brought him to the small park, behind the villa. She went to a bench under the shady tree. They were surrounded by the green shady trees, creating the atmosphere like they were really in the forest.

“Here.” She let go her hold on his hand.

“What are we doing here?” He seemed so clueless about her intention.

“Sit down.” Yuri instructed him which he just followed obediently giving the feel like a cute puppy. He stared at her like a clueless puppy which made Yuri chuckled. She took a seat beside him. “Now, close your eyes.”

“Why? Are you going to kiss me?”

“Aigoo!” She patted his shoulder while chuckling. “You always have a ert’s thought!” She scolded him though she looked very happy and shy when he mentioned about kiss.

“Then, what should I do? I cannot think anything else when you ask me to close eyes.” He finally seemed laughing at ease after having the dream that had frightened him which made Yuri felt very relieved.

“Just close your eyes. Don’t worry, I won’t kiss you!” She said while chuckling. He finally closed his eyes. She didn’t said anything about her next instruction and just stayed silent.

He was so curious that he asked, “Then, what should I do now?”

“Don’t do anything.” He frowned. “Just enjoy the peacefulness of the nature.” She added to make him understand.

He just closed his eyes while enjoying the sound of the cricket and the chirps of the birds. He didn’t know why but his heart felt so peaceful, so calm that he didn’t have any word how to describe it.

After a moment later, he opened his eyes slowly. Yuri was staring at him from the start, asked him. “How is it?”

“It’s so calm.” He replied shortly but Yuri could understand from his gaze that he indeed felt so different compared to when he got up from the dream. “Thanks.”

“You know what, when you’re tired, sometimes it will be much effective to do this instead of sleeping especially in your case, when you got a frequent scary dream.”

“Ok, I’ll take your advice to my heart.” He beamed at her which she replied with a wide grin.

She spotted the bird on the branch of a tree. “Wow, see that! That bird is so pretty!” She exclaimed.

He took a look at the bird. “Yes, it’s indeed pretty.” He smiled widely as he saw her being so happy and excited like a little kid even for such a simple thing. “You know… about those dreams…”

She immediately paid her attention towards him when he was going to tell about it. She had been ready to be a good adviser or at the very least, a good listener.

“It’s about my childhood. I really hate my father. Honestly, in the deep of my heart, I never acknowledge him as my father.”

“Min… Minho, how can you say that?!” Yuri seemed extremely shocked at the first words of his confession about his past.

“I hate him!” He said firmly. Though Yuri couldn’t imagine what his father didto him that caused him to hate him to that state but she could see in his eyes that he was very mad just a mention about his father.

“B… but, why? Is this because he raised you strictly?” Minho looked at Yuri in confusion. “I did hear from Nickhun that your father as a police officer, want to raise you up as a disciplined person but he was too strict.”

“Yes, that’s one of the reasons, he was too strict, and there were many times I got beaten by him even for such a trivial thing. He expected me to be such a perfect son. He never showed his love to me, he treat me like I was a criminal.”

“Really?! But, how can he treat you like that?!”

“I got many bruises on my body.”

Yuri couldn’t say anything as she was speechless at how suffering Minho’s life was during his childhood. “Then, how about your mother?”

“Fortunately, the only comfort that I can get is from my mother. She was the one that cared for me like a normal parent would do. She always defend me from my father. Otherwise, I was sure I would have been killed by my father is just not because of my mother.”

“Then, your mother… she left you when you were still young, isn’t it?”

Minho suddenly grasped his fist as it seemed like he got reminded of something. “I wouldn’t hate my father that much if he just treated me badly, I wouldn’t hate my father that much even I got beaten many times and I wouldn’t hate him that much if he didn’t gave me the love like a father… he didn’t let my mother passed away in peace!!”

“Wh… what do you mean?”

“My mother has lung cancer and every day, I really felt so hurt to see her having difficulty in breathing. I’m really thankful that my father didn’t treat her like me, he really loved and care for her though sometimes he put his work as his priority. However, I don’t mind as long as he still cared for her. I still remember on that night at the hospital…

[Flashback]

A little Minho who sat on the chair looked at her mother who was breathing heavily, lying on the bed in sadness. It really pained him every time he saw her in that condition. “Mom, are you okay?” He held her hand to comfort her.

She didn’t answer as she couldn’t force herself to voice. She just replied Minho’s answer with a nod as she put a fake smile on her face just to ease her son’s worry. He could understand that her mother just pretended she was fine though her condition told otherwise. “W… where is your father?”

“Dad will come soon.”

Not too long after, a guy came into the ward and walked to the bed to see her wife’s condition. He held her hand. “I’m sorry that I came late. I just finished something at the office.” Minho’s dad said.

“Honey, can you promise me something?” His mother asked his father.

“What is it?”

“Can you spend your time with me tonight? I want you to be here for me.”

“Of course. Don’t worry, I’ll spend time here.”

“Thanks. I just want to see you as much as I can today with our son.” She took a look at Minho while smiling. Minho replied his mother’s smile.

Suddenly, his father got a call from someone. He let go of her hand to answer the call. “I’m sorry. I’ll take a call for a moment.” Though she didn’t have a good feeling for it, she had to agree. His father went out from the ward to take the call.

Not too long after, his father came back and he went to his wife as he held her hand. “I’m sorry, honey. But, I have to go now.”

“Why?”

“I just got the call about the criminal’s whereabouts and my team needs me to carry out our mission.”

“But, can’t other person do that instead of you?”

“Yes, dad. Mom is not well. Can’t dad stay here?” Minho added.

“I’m the team leader. I have to do this.”

“Please, I beg you. I want you to stay here.” His mother begged.

“Our son is here, isn’t it? He can look after you, don’t worry. I’ll come back soon.”

“Honey, please…”

“I promise I’ll come back as soon as possible. I promise.” He still let go of his wife’s hand though she had tried her best to keep her hold on him. He walked out from the ward.

“Honey…” Her mother called slowly as she really didn’t have energy to talk.

Minho seemed very angry and devastated seeing this situation. Minho walked out from the ward and ran after his father.

“Dad, dad!” He stopped his father from going by standing in front of him.

“What are you doing?” His father looked quite angry at him.

“Dad, can’t you stay here?”

“I have to do my work now. You can look after your mother.”

“But, dad. Mom needs you, she really needs you!”

“I have said that I will come back soon.”

“Can’t you put aside your work this time for mom?! Can’t you just put her as your priority even just once?! Her condition has become worse and even doctor can’t do anything to her now!”

“Yes, I know that but my work is really important right now. And, I have said that I will come back as soon as possible, can’t you understand?!”

“But, dad…”

“Just go to your mother, she might need something.” His father pushed him aside before walking away. He stared at his father in anger until he disappeared from the sight.

[End of flashback]

“Then, what happened after that?” Yuri asked in curiosity. She already got the bad feeling by seeing Minho’s expression.

“I keep waiting for him to come back and my mom asking me about him but he was still nowhere to be seen until the morning. Until on that time… I saw my mom could only hardly breathed and yet still she asked for my father until… she hove her last breath in tears. I could see her tears fell to her cheek when I closed her eyes.”

[Flashback]

Minho still didn’t seem to believe that her mother just left him… forever. And, right now there was no one to comfort him. He didn’t even get a glance of his father. He was really mad at him, really really mad! He came out from the ward and sat on the chair. He tried to accept the reality.

Just then, there was someone came near Minho and he slammed himself lazily beside Minho. He also didn’t seem good like he had lost all his energy. Minho took a look at him and he found out that it was his father. His condition looked exactly like Minho which Minho thought he already found out about his wife’s death.

Minho looked at him while clenching his teeth in anger.

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you going to look after your mom?” His father asked weakly.

“WHAT?!” Minho shouted at him. It turned out that his father still didn’t find it out. He wondered what the reason of his bad condition but he didn’t have time to ask as he was too angry at him. “Mom is dead!”

“What? What are you talking about?” His father suddenly sat upright.

“I said mom has gone! She had left us!”

“H… ho… how can that be?!” His father looked very dumbfounded with what he just heard from Minho. “She’s just okay… just now…”

“What do you mean by okay?! She hardly can breathe and she just asked you to stay by her side. Can’t you see her desperately want both of us to stay with her?! Can’t you see how desperately she begged you to forget about your work?! I can see her tears when she hove her last breath! She kept asking about you! Even at the last moment of her life, you still can’t fulfill her wish! You didn’t let her leave this world in peace! You are the reason why mom is dead!” Minho shouted at him angrily as the tears fell to his cheeks.

“Minho… I’m…” His father got speechless. He never thought that his wife just passed away and he didn’t even be there for her.

“From now on, I won’t call you dad! You’re not my father!” Minho ran away from him.

“Minho! Hold on! Minho!” However, Minho just ignored his father and ran away.

[Flashback]

Recalling about those painful memories had caused Minho to shed tears unconsciously. This pain had haunted him for the rest of his life and how much it suffered him for hiding it by himself. He didn’t have any courage to tell anyone about this but Yuri had changed him because she was very special for him. Yuri stared at him in sadness as she could feel how painful it was just by hearing it from him and she was sure it was much worse if she was in his shoes.

“Aish… so embarrassing!” Minho said while wiping his eyes. He got up like he wanted to walk away. He didn’t like to show his condition to Yuri especially his crying.

Yuri grabbed his hand. “Where are you going? Sit down.” She pulled him and forced him to take seat back. “What are you so embarrassed about? Who I am? I’m your girlfriend! So, there is no secret between us, ok? Besides, for me, I don’t find a guy who cries is weak. In fact, I really like a guy who can cry. Why? Because I know he has a kind heart and he can understand someone’s feeling better.”

“Really?”

“Yes!” Yuri nodded for a few times while smiling. He replied her smile. “Come here.” She gave him a hug by wrapping her arms around his back. “You’ve worked hard.” She patted his back gently to comfort him. She was so proud of him for being so courageous to reveal his past that had been hidden for a few years.

---------------

Since Yuri had gone to Minho, Nickhun was the one accompanying Yoona to study. However, instead of studying along with her, Nickhun just stared at Yoona’s face with a wide smile stuck on his face which made him looked like a fool.

Yoona finally was aware of Nickhun’s stare. “Why?” She raised her eyebrows.

“Nothing.” He grinned.

“Hmph!” Yoona made her cute angry face. “You better study with me than keeping staring at me. Here, solve this question.” She gave him the book containing questions. “I can’t solve it.”

“Alright.” He immediately paid attention to the question to solve it. She just waited. A few minutes later, he gave her back the book but this time, he had helped her to solve it. “Is my answer correct?”

Yoona took a look at his answer. “Wow, how did you do that?!” She couldn’t believe that he managed to get the answer correctly in a short time.

Nickhun laughed proudly. “Can you see how lucky you are to get a boyfriend like me? Has good-looking face, tall and genius…”

“Ceh! You’re so full of yourself!” She rolled her eyes while chuckling.

Suddenly, Nickhun’s cell phone rang and he picked it up. “Yes, hyung!”

“Hyung?” Yoona looked at Nickhun with questioned face. She really wondered who that person was.

“Are you busy right now?” Leeteuk asked Nickhun.

“I don’t have any schedule today. So, I’m free. Why?”

“After finding out your relationship with Yoona, my mom wants to see you. Besides, my father will be here too.”

“Father too? Oh, that’s perfect! I also have a thought to meet them. Ok, I’ll be there soon.” He ended the call.

“Who is it?” Yoona asked.

“Let’s go.” Nickhun got up and he grabbed Yoona’s hand, asking her to get up too.

“Where are we going?” She asked in confusion.

“Your house.”

“My house? Why?”

“To get blessing from your parents.” He grinned.

“Eh?” Yoona looked so confused. “My brother called you?”

“Yes, he said that your parents want to see me. Besides, I’m able to see your father too.”

They went out from the villa and got on Nickhun’s car. “Can we go now?” He asked Yoona who just finished putting on the seat belt. She nodded while smiling. He drove the car.

As they were on the way to Yoona’s house, the condition in the car was quite silent compared to usual. Riding a car in silent atmosphere was common but with Nickhun’s usual personality, Yoona found it was quite strange.

“Nickhun…” She called for him who seemed too focused on driving the car. However, he didn’t reply anything like he didn’t hear anything from her. “Nickhun!” She called him louder.

“Y… yes?!” He looked quite shocked. “Why?”

“Are you always like this?”

“Why? Is there something wrong with me?”

“That’s not what I meant.” She smiled before continuing. “Are you always focusing too much on your driving?”

“Oh, no…” He smiled. “It’s just that something bothering my minds.”

“What is it?”

“How is your father’s personality?”

“He is a cool person.”

“Oh, really?”

“Why? Is that bothering your minds?” He nodded hesitantly as he found it was quite embarrassing. She laughed. “Why are you so concerned about that?”

“Why shouldn’t I be concerned when I am on my way to meet my girlfriend’s parents?”

“You are just fine when you first time meet my mother but you’re so different today.”

“That’s not the same thing.”

“What do you mean?” Yoona looked at him while frowning.

He explained. “When I first met your mother, I don’t have any concern since on that time, I’m just your friend and I don’t need to be worried about having to get bless but this time, I’m coming to see your parents as officially your boyfriend. Of course I’d be very worried.”

Yoona smiled widely as she found it was quite cute to see him be concerned about that since she thought he was confident about that. “Don’t worry, my father is really a cool person, you won’t believe me if I say he is the coolest person that I know, don’t you? Besides, my mother is really fond of you, so in case we have any problem with my father, I’m sure she will be on our side and find a way to solve it, okay?”

“Ok, then now… I’ll believe in you.” Nickhun said seriously as he still looked very worried.

Yoona was aware of his worried expression. “Now, can’t you be more at ease?” She patted his shoulder.

“Do you know how do I feel now? I feel like having an audition to become a singer.”

Yoona laughed happily. “What are you talking about? We’re just going to see my parents.”

“That’s what makes me nervous.” He laughed along with her.

-------

Yoona and Nickhun arrived at the Yoona’s house. Yoona opened the locked door with her key and they entered the house.

“Mom, mom! Dad! Where are you?” Yoona called loudly in the living seeing there was no one.

Just then, Yoona’s mother appeared. “Oh, you guys have come!” She exclaimed excitedly and just directly went to give Nickhun a welcome hug.

Nickhun chuckled while receiving her mother’s hug, as usual it seemed like her mother was really fond of him to the point that she loved him more than her own daughter.

“Mom!” Yoona whined cutely while stomping her legs. “Can’t you see your daughter here who you haven’t seen for long?” She asked as she pouted her lips.

“I haven’t seen him longer than you.” Her mother replied.

“Mom! But, still… I’m your own daughter!”

“Why? Are you jealous because I’m taking your boyfriend or are you jealous because you’re losing your mother?” Her mother asked her playfully.

“Ah, mom!” Yoona whined cutely. Nickhun just laughed seeing Yoona and her mom’s cute argument. He really missed his family when seeing their happy family but he also thought Yoona’s family as his own family and their presence always gave him warmth.

Nickhun spotted Leeteuk coming towards them. “Oh, hyung. Hello!” Nickhun gave a formal greet including with a 90° bow.

“Yes…” Leeteuk replied lazily.

“Oppa, can’t you greet him properly?!” Yoona asked angrily Leeteuk.

“I already replied him, what else do you want me to do?” As expected, Leeteuk protested Yoona’s opinion. “That’s right, ImYoona! Recently, you always side him! You always disagreed and scolded me, didn’t you?!”

“Then, oppa should have behave properly!”

“What do you mean by that?! I just did all these things to protect you!”

“Protect me?! Are you kidding me?! You always tried to find any fault in everything he did.”

“Auntie is really sorry about my children. They always fought like that.” Yoona’s mother said to Nickhun.

“It’s okay. Besides, it’s really fun.” Nickhun smiled widely.

Then, Yoona’s father finally appeared which caused Nickhun to be serious and his smile slowly disappeared from his face. “Hello, uncle.” Nickhun greeted him formally by giving a 90° bow.

However, Yoona’s father didn’t reply anything to Nickhun’s greet and what made it worse, Nickhun didn’t see a smile at all on his face. He didn’t feel good about this and his heart started beating faster out of nervousness.

“Did I say something wrong?” Nickhun whispered to Yoona.

“I’m not sure…” Even Yoona looked shocked too with her father’s reaction on Nickhun’s greet. “Dad, what’s wrong? You aren’t like this usually.”

“Sit down.” Her father said seriously before sitting down on the sofa.

Nickhun and Yoonathrew hesitant glances at each other before taking a seat on the sofa including her mother and Leeteuk.

“Dad, are you going to say something?” Yoona asked carefully. Honestly, since she was born and learnt to know her father, this was the first time she saw him being so serious like this. He usually so cool and playful father.

“I want you to break up with him.” Her father said seriously.

“What?!” Yoona and Nickhun asked in shock at the same time. Even Leeteuk and her mother seemed so shocked to hear those words from her father.