Blessed With A Companion

Jack Frost

“Oh… Wow,” Sehun breathed, in awe of the beautiful nature setting around him. “All my life, I’ve never seen so many trees in one place…”

Luhan’s musical laugh followed Sehun’s statement, and made Sehun feel at ease.

“Sehun, it’s the beginning of winter right now. The trees have long shed their leaves and are only bare branches. I’m sure that when the warmer seasons roll in, you’ll be even happier,” Luhan said wistfully. The longing in his voice reminded me that he had to leave Shaanxi after winter ended.

“Say, Luhan… Do you mind me asking why you’re only here during the winter?”

This time, his mirthless laugh sent shivers down my spine.

“I suppose you could say that I have my own moratorium.”

They walked the rest of the way in silence. Sehun silently admired the picturesque trees framing the outskirts of the village, and the occasional small animals that would scurry upon their paths. As they ventured deeper into the woods, Sehun noticed more animals around them.

“Luhan… Should I be worried about the animals that seem to be getting closer and closer to us?” Sehun asked, feeling uneasy as a squirrel ran alongside him, matching his pace.

“Don’t worry, Sehun. They won’t hurt you, even if you hurt them. Besides, I know them.” Luhan came to an abrupt stop, and Sehun walked into his back.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to…” He began, but Luhan swiveled around and placed a finger on his lips, silencing him.

“Shh, Sehun. A dear friend of mine is coming by,” he said with a barely visible grin.

Intrigued, Sehun held his ground and watched Luhan. He looked expectant, as if he could feel the visitor’s presence.

A breathtakingly beautiful spotted fawn and a regal buck sauntered into view. They loped towards Luhan, and he greeted them by smoothing their sides.

The divine interaction between Luhan and the beautiful deer cemented Sehun’s wispy conviction of him being a god. Minor gods existed, he was sure of that much.

If Luhan wasn’t a god, then how could his presence have such a prominent effect on him?

The deer turned and pranced back into the depth of the woods. Luhan turned around and blushed when he saw Sehun’s wide eyes.

“I like all animals, but deer are my favorite,” he said shyly, ducking his head in embarrassment.

“That was amazing, Luhan… I’ve never seen anything like it,” Sehun breathed.

“You’re the only one who has ever seen me like this, because you’re the only one who has ever approached me in this town,” he said quietly. “That’s why I want to help you as much as I can. But I also want to get to know you and be your friend. Please, Sehun, will you be my friend?” Luhan asked this question in all seriousness. The way he said it made it sound like there was risk involved.

Well, risk or not, Sehun’s gut feeling told him that Luhan was someone who will become very important to him.

Sehun’s erratically beating heart told him that he already was.

“Of course, Luhan,” Sehun answered his formal question with a serious tone. “I promise.”

He blushed again, and Sehun loved the rosy color on his cheeks. It was a lovely contrast from the blanch color of his skin and complemented his light silver hair.

“This is my cabin. If you walk from the fountain in the village plaza straight into the woods and keep going straight, you will always end up here. Your university is just to the left,” he said, pointing over to an unmistakable silhouette of a large building, “and there’s a mall with a supermarket near the university. We’ll go there to buy our groceries other things. We can split the funds for groceries and everything else. Does that sound all right?”

“It sounds perfect.”

~

Luhan lived in a cozy little log cabin. It appeared small from the outside, but it was actually quite spacious. Though it lacked decorative furnishing (not that Sehun minded), there was definitely a strong sense of home.

“Sorry for the emptiness,” Luhan mumbled apologetically. “I like things… simple, I suppose.”

“It’s all right – besides, I really like your home. After all, it’s better to live in a house than a home,” Sehun replied earnestly. “We’ve never had much money for anything but the necessities, anyways.”

“I see…” Luhan said somberly. Suddenly, his pale cheeks flushed with realization. “Sehun… I’m sorry if this bothers you, but we’ll have to share a bedroom and a bed. The only thing big about this cabin is the kitchen… There’s a bathroom with a bathtub and shower and a storage closet, and the only bedroom will be shared between us.”

“No, I don’t mind at all,” Sehun said, feeling heat reach his cheeks at the thought of sleeping in the same bed as the mysterious and compelling boy in front of him. “Just being able to live here with you is more than anything I could have ever dreamed of.”

“Is that so…” Luhan shyly turned away and walked into their bedroom. Sehun saw his face redden all the way up to his ears.

~

“Sehun… The shower’s open,” Luhan called softly as he stepped out of the bathroom and into their bedroom. The bathroom was conveniently connected to their bedroom.

“Thank you, I’m almost done unpacking,” Sehun called back. He surveyed the organized lumps of his belongings on the floor. His wardrobe was meager and pitiful; he had another long-sleeve shirt with patches that indicated his amateur craftsmanship and two pairs of briefs. The only pants he had were on him.

The reason Sehun had so few clothes with him was that it was easier to live with just the necessities, clothing-wise. Having so few articles of clothing meant washing them often, which Sehun did merrily. Bad body-odor was something that he would never allow upon himself.

Luhan padded into view. Sehun was shocked to see Luhan shirtless as he dried his hair absentmindedly with his fluffy towel. Plopping down comfortably next to Sehun, he frowned. Luhan’s warm brown eyes scrutinized Sehun’s pathetic display of clothes with worry.

“Sehun, you’ll freeze to death wearing just those,” Luhan deadpanned.

“I don’t want to offend, but you’re not even wearing a shirt,” Sehun mumbled, embarrassed by both his necessary frugality and Luhan’s toned chest teasingly close to him.

It was Luhan’s turn to blush.

“I’m… different. We’re different, Sehun. I- how do I explain this… Well, let’s just say that for me, as the weather gets colder, my body temperature gets hotter. So the colder it gets, the warmer it is for me. The coldest time during the winter is the equivalent for the hottest time in the summer for me.”

“Are you a god?” Sehun asked dumbly. Luhan’s face in response to that question was so comical that Sehun snorted.

“No, Sehun. I’m far from that.”

“But you aren’t like I am, so at least a demigod?”

Luhan sighed, a trace of wistfulness lingering on his eyes as they wandered into Sehun’s.

“I’m also far from you…”

He stood and walked over to the closet in the back of the bedroom. When he returned, he presented Sehun with thermal pajamas, thick socks, and underwear.

Sehun blushed at the kind offering.

“No, I’m fine-“

“Feel free to use the closet on the left at your disposal,” Luhan said, pointing to the closet he just went to. “It’s all of my clothes from… before.” That faint trace of sadness was more prominent in his voice this time. “The clothes I use now are in the closet on the right. Make sure you dress warmly; if you don’t, I’ll double-check for you.”

Truly touched by Luhan’s kindness, Sehun covered his mouth in embarrassment. He could feel the tears coming; whenever Sehun felt extremely happy, he would cry. Luhan’s concerned eyes cast upon Sehun’s kneeling form and he immediately knelt down and gathered Sehun’s thin frame in his equally thin arms.

“Sehun… Are you all right?”

“Yes,” Sehun rasped, desperately wiping his tears away. “I am because of you. Thank you so much, Luhan. I don’t know how I’m ever going to repay you…”

Luhan surprised Sehun by gently kissing his flowing tears away. His soft, pink lips brushed teasingly against Sehun’s skin, making the caressed areas burn pleasantly.

“Just stay with me.”