oo1: Not-so-Happy Valentines

You are the Only One

Warnings: Unbeta'd. Potential grammar errors.

.oOo.___.oOo.___.oOo.___.oOo.___.oOo.

It’s Valentines.

Red, pink and white is seen all around, the scent of roses in the air. Everywhere you look, couples are holding hands, snuggling up to one another and just plain happy together, staring at each other with love-glazed eyes. You smile to yourself, looking at a ring worn carefully on your left middle finger. It isn’t anything grand, just a cheap, plastic band. But it’s never the case of the item itself, but the sentimentality of it.

Or maybe it was just plain mental to think he ever gave it a meaning.

You huff out in frustration. As much of a romantic you are, with all the lovers around you, it irks you as they only serve as a reminder how you’ve been single for 19 years of your life.

It isn’t your fault that the only boy you’ve ever liked is a complete idiot and doesn’t even acknowledge you as a woman. Once more, you look at the silver ring on your finger and your expression softens. Then again, maybe it would be better off that it stays this way. Confessing to Jung Jinyoung of your secret love for him ever since he stopped that big kid from making you eat sand from the playground [but ending up eating it himself for ‘compensation’] and end up being rejected isn’t exactly your ideal Valentines night.

But then again, you aren’t the only one who’s spending Valentines thinking of someone who’d never love him back.

.oOo.

“It’s over.”

He stares at the girl in front of him, beautiful even with tears staining her cheeks and her usual bright eyes now red from crying. But to him, she’s still absolutely gorgeous. Sandeul stares at the ring she placed on his upturned palm, a bright gold band encrusted with a small diamond in the centre. “Sangmi-ah,” he calls out, he sounds desperate but he doesn’t care.

For her, he would beg for her forgiveness in exchange for the world.

“Goodbye.” She says calmly and walks past him. Sandeul grabs her arm before she can move too far though, “Why?” he asks, searching her eyes. “Is there someone else? Don’t lie to me, Sangmi!” she shakes her head and chokes back a sob. “There’s no one else for me, Jung Hwan. I would never find a replacement for you.” But she doesn’t meet his eyes and that makes him even more scared. “Then why?!” his voice almost cracks as he tries to hold in his sobs.

“You and I,” Sangmi finally looks up and it pains him to see all the sadness in her eyes. “We’re too different, Sandeul. It’s not working out at all.” She touches his arm and it sends a spark in him. He shakes his head slowly, not able to believe what he was hearing.

His Sangmi, his precious love, was leaving him.

On Valentine’s Day to boot.

This wasn’t happening.

She wraps her slender arms around him tightly and leans in to peck his cheek, kissing away a lone tear. She smiles at him, full of pain before stepping back. Sandeul’s grip loosens and she takes this chance to break free from his grasps. “I loved you.” She whispers before turning her back on him and walks away.

Sandeul silently thanks whoever’s up there for giving him the bridge’s railings to support him as he releases choked sobs. His hand grips tightly on the golden ring. People had seen him and they shoot him sympathetic looks before looking back to their partner and thanking their luck.

Smile while they can.

Sandeul thinks as his knuckles start to turn white from his fist, no doubt his nails already drawing crescent shapes on his palm. He breathes out before looking at the river underneath the bridge. Without warning, he feels his arm throw away the sole reminder of a future of what could have been for Sangmi and him.

It’s over.

His pocket starts to vibrate and the familiar tune of his hyung’s composition starts to play. The bright pop music seems to mock his mood and grumpily, he fishes his phone and answers the call. “Hello, hyung? I’m not in the mood to talk right now so I’ll just hang up-“

He stops halfway as the male on the other line starts begging and whining about asking him for a favour. “What? No- hyung, I told you, I’m not in the mood.” He retorts yet listens to the older one. Even if his mood was rather down, he wasn’t one to disrespect his favourite hyung. “What? But- alright fine, I need something to distract me anyway.”

He hears cheering on the other line, “Don’t worry, Sandeul-ah! I’ve already asked Sangmi-ssi for permission! An all guys night~”

Sandeul feels his heart being torn apart once more. “Hyung...” he starts off, but his voice fades away. “Sangmi and I...”

His hyung senses something wrong; his usual cheery voice is gone. “Sandeul?” he asks, concerned. “You can tell me, the other guys are still out.”

The thought that all his friends were happily out on dates with their respective others annoys him. They were supposed to be family, were they not? “Nah, I just need sometime alone...” he says quietly, his feet already moving unconsciously towards nowhere. “Alright, yeah, at 9... I know, I know, I’ll be there. Later, hyung.”

He looks at his mobile, his phone strap a cute and lovely sky blue with a bunch of white heart pattern. It was always Sangmi’s favourite. In fact, Sandeul’s entire phone was like a memory of her, the same model, same colour, her voice set as the ringtone reminding him “You have a message, Jung Hwan-ah~!” , the wallpaper; a selca of her planting a kiss on his cheek.

The brunette dumps the phone in the nearest trashcan, the impact from the hollow waste bin cracking screen of the gadget, right where her lips connects with his cheek.

Happy Valentines.

.oOo.___.oOo.___.oOo.___.oOo.___.oOo.

A/N: First chapter done. Mostly Sandeul-centric. Haha. I don't know if I'll update as frequent.
Subscriptions and comments, are well loved! :) Thanks for viewing.