four

Cover Girl

chapter four


SUZY'S POV.

“Someone’s following me.”

I listen attentively to whatever pose my manager says for me to do, and I try not to meet Myungsoo’s eyes unless I have to.

I don’t regret telling him the truth, in fact – it was finally off of my chest, but there was a tugging at my chest that made me wonder if it was the right thing or not.

I try to smile for the camera, posing in the spotlight, working the air around me…but my heart isn’t one hundred percent into it. Back at the café last week, Myungsoo promised not to tell anyone, and it’s not in my place to put trust into a stranger’s hands. That’s what got me into this mess. I just hope I’ve done the right thing.

“I don’t know who he is, or what he wants…but it’s because I did very terrible things a few years ago. And I see him just about everywhere I go.” My voice dies down a little.

“What happened back then?”

A giant rock lodges itself in my throat. This will always be the hardest part of my story. “Way before I became a model, I was in the wrong crowd. I was a high school loser back then, but I found salvation in a group of troublemakers. We’d do the craziest things to people we didn’t know and run away for the fun of it. It was all a game to us until we decided to get high on adrenaline by jumping across train tracks. Somebody- I… Someone got pushed and they fell over, their ankle got stuck in the tracks and none of us saw the train coming.” I stared at my phone lying on the table. The thought of the text I received earlier disgusted me.

I will never repeat these words ever again.

Myungsoo waited patiently, but the way his eyebrows scrunched together worriedly told me he wanted to ask me things. He was too kind, really.

I couldn’t push the rock out of my throat, but I could slowly heal the throb in my heart that hurt every time I spoke. “It was just an accident. I was the one who pushed them over.”

He held back a gasp, his mouth gaping one second and then closing the next. He swallowed his worry and I watched his throat.

“They covered up for me, those so-called friends from back then, and I left my hometown without a single word. I never looked back and moved to the city to focus on starting again. My appearance changed as I lost weight, grew my hair and started wearing contacts. I was scouted on the streets by a modelling agency…and here I am now. Seoul’s most spoken-of woman.” I laughed bitterly. “Then one day, a few months ago, I started getting texts from an unknown number simply saying ‘I’m waiting for you.’”

“Do you think it might be one of the people you were with before?”

I nodded my head. “It can’t just be a random stalker, the feeling of it being random isn’t there. It could have been someone who had seen us that night…or one of the people in the group.”

“How many were in the group?”

“Around ten of us.”

“Do you have an idea of who it might be?”

I shake my head. “I can’t remember anything about them, I’ve tried to so badly forget all about my life back home. I have no idea who it is, but I’ve definitely seen his face before. I saw him outside the magazine’s build-“

Myungsoo’s eyes widened in shock. “Outside?!”

“That’s why I ran all the way here And I even had a bad feeling after the meeting, that’s kinda why I dragged you out with me... Wait, how did you find me?” I raised my eyebrow at him.

He shrugged, a hint of a smile playing along the curves of his lips. “I did tell myself I wouldn’t follow you, but it was coincidence that you were running right past me. I’d recognize you anywhere, even if nobody else did.”

Warmth seeped into me when he said that last line. I wish...I wish I wasn’t Suzy, Seoul’s model, but rather Suzy, Seoul’s average citizen at times like these. If I wasn’t famous, Myungsoo would be the exact type of man I’d want to meet, but because I am famous, he’s the type of man I’ve been told to avoid.

Well, now there was no avoiding him.

“He keeps following me and he appears everywhere I go, but I’m lucky enough to not run into him. I know he’s been watching. I just…” I sighed. “I just wish I knew what he wanted.”

“You haven’t met him face to face?” He asked, and I nodded. “How does he know where you are all the time?”

I shrugged, raising my hands up in defeat. “I have no clue- it’s like he has a Suzy-GPS on him and he just tracks me everywhere. I’m not scared though, I don’t actually think I have anything to fear…yet. But the fact that there’s a shadow on my heels all the time just creeps me out more than anything.”

Myungsoo nodded. “Do you think he’ll do anything?”

“Yes. Maybe…I don’t know. I feel like he will, but not right now. He’s waiting for something, I’m not quite sure what.”

“Suzy?”

“Yes, Myungsoo?”

He smiled, but it wasn’t a pleasant one. It was more of a saddened, terrified smile. “I’m sorry this is happening to you.”

I managed to crack up a smile, “Thank you.” And I meant it. I was sincerely grateful that this person could sit down and listen to me without judging me or getting angry. At least, I hope he’s neither underneath his cool façade. “Really, thank you.”

Myungsoo smiles, this time a hopeful gleam. “It’s nothing~ Um, wait- thank you for what, exactly?”

A hearty laugh escaped from me, and suddenly with that confused look on his face (which made him even more adorable), the rock from my throat cracked into tiny, absorbable pieces, until it was no more. I was free.

I reached for his hand and held it in mine tightly. It was warm, and a bit sweaty, but he must have been nervous to hear this all from me. “For listening to everything I’ve told you, taking it all in and…not calling me a murderer.” I had to say the last line very quietly, and I couldn’t even look him in the eye at the final word.

He squeezed my hand back and reassurance washed over me. “A person’s past isn’t meant to define a person, but help them define themselves. It was an accident and it’s not like you had murderous intentions…so I’m holding nothing against you.”

“You really think that?”

“You’ve acknowledged your wrongs, and even though I think it’d be best to tell someone of authority about this, I also think it wouldn’t be a good idea. I’m always here to listen to you, Suzy.” When he smiled at me again, the only thought to pass through my head was: thank god I’ve found a friend.

He did exactly as I asked the next time we met, and acted as if we had never met before. I felt closer to him after that day, and despite knowing that it was dangerous of me to place trust in people, I found out that it definitely was the right thing in trusting Myungsoo.

Now, we’re in the studio, doing the photoshoot I’d be ‘gracing the issue’ with, and he’s working so hard in capturing every angle of me. I admit, I have flaws left from the old me, and I tried so hard not to let them destroy the foundation I’ve built for myself in the past few years, but I don’t think I’ll ever really forget the scars the past has haunted me with.

Maybe Myungsoo is the only person who’ll help me cover them up, or even better- he’ll help me heal.

I’m the one who initiates eye contact first after our ‘first meeting’ here in the studio, and I smile at him more gratefully than ever before, because I know that even if he hasn’t forgotten what I’ve told him, he’ll see me in a different way than the others. He’ll see me as the real Bae Suzy, and I’m not quite sure why, but I want to show him – and perhaps only him – who I really am.

“Thank you.” I whisper, but I know he can hear me.

He nods back and continues shooting pictures. “Alright, let’s take a break and we’ll carry on in thirty minutes!”

I relax when the light focused on me turns off and he approaches me with a smile. “Would you like to have some lunch with me?” He asks.

I giggle, “Sure, Mr Photographer.” He turns away, but I catch a glimpse of a blush surfacing in his cheek. “I’m thinking…”

My manager comes over and interrupts our conversation before I have time to reply with what I want for lunch. She pushes Myungsoo out of the picture and I frown a bit. He looks at me with a smile and shrugs, pointing to the elevator as if to say I’ll meet you downstairs. I nod and turn my attention to my manager.

She’s frowning too. “Suzy…we need to talk.”

My forehead scrunches together, “What is it?”

I know when she looks down at me with a fearful stare that it is not good news. “One of your fans has spread a rumor concerning your relationship with him. I know this rumored relationship isn’t real, and we’ve tried to confirm it but…it’s spreading too fast.”

This hardly ever happens to me, but I’m afraid I already know what comes next.

“I’m so sorry you have to do this, but we’re going to need to pretend you’re already in a relationship and sell the story to the tabloids.”

-

MYUNGSOO'S POV.

I wait patiently for Suzy by the elevator, hoping that it would slowly come up so that we could ride it down together. I try not to watch her while she has a conversation with her boss, but it’s so hard to tear my eyes away from her that I end up doing it.

Her face falls at something her manager tells her, and immediately it tells me that something’s wrong again.

Bad things happen to Suzy a lot, huh?

I wish I could make them all go away.


I'll update again in a few days, please wait :)

like i said, any mistakes...please comment and i'm sorry T_T

I'm really bad at writing conflict into my stories, but all stories have to have some sort of conflict and this is all I could come up with...hope you're not disappointed ;_;

p.s, i've also been side-writing an exo fic, and i really want to post it up because i've kinda done a few chapters...but i don't know lol. dfbudsgfus

thanks for reading!♥