one

Cover Girl

chapter one


If there was one thing you shouldn’t do when you have a job at possibly one of the most classiest companies in the city, is be late.

But of course, being Kim Myungsoo, I am almost always late.

It’s 9:17am according to my watch, and as I stand in front of the polished white and gold building of INFINITE’s headquarters, I gulp my nerves down as I think of another apology to tell the boss. ‘Sorry, Sunggyu-hyung, I almost burnt my apartment down cooking breakfast!’ was the excuse I used last time I was late. What could I use now?! He probably already knows though, that I find it ever so hard to wake up when I’m under a blissful spell of sleep. I’m just glad he’s kind enough to forgive me every time.

I inhale nice and deep before gathering up my courage to enter the building.

“And here he is.” I groan at the sight of my best friend and colleague, Lee Sungyeol, as soon as I walk into the lobby. He’s already shaking his head at me with a foolish grin and I can only speed up my walk as I make my way to the elevators. He hurries to catch up and swiftly enters the lift with me before the doors close. “What are you going to tell him this time?”

I shrug and patiently wait for the lift to stop on the thirteenth floor. “Somebody moved into the empty apartment next to mine and they have the tendency to blast out their screamo music at the most absurd time of night.”

Sungyeol blew out a whistle. “Luckily you have this all planned, dude.”

“Think he’ll buy it?”

“Nope.” He answered immediately. “But at least he’s cool enough to.” I let out an exhausted moan when the elevator reaches the thirteenth floor. Sungyeol pats me on the back in comfort. “An alarm clock sounds absolutely beautiful to me when I wonder what to get you for your birthday.”

I shake my head and laugh slightly. “Thanks, man.”

“Anytime, buddy!”

I was about to step out of the elevator when I noticed Sungyeol hanging back. “Aren’t you coming with?”

“Nah,” he smiles aimlessly and waves. “There's a delivery coming in so hyung said I have to take care of it.”

I nod and he just smiles at me, so I return it and wave at him until the elevator doors slide closed.

So now, I walk into the studio – my studio as I loved to call it – and Sunggyu is talking with his assistant, Woohyun. I silently creep my way to my camera stand and place my bag down beside it. I try to look as if I didn’t just come in, but of course – nothing can miss hyung’s eyes.

“Hyung, I-“ I began but he put his hand up.

“Save your dumb excuse for next time, Myungsoo.” Then he finally looks up at me and grins. “We have a big project for the next issue.”

Confused, I stare at him and with relief, brush off the fact that he wasn’t mad at me. I guess I was nervous for absolutely nothing. “Project? What is it?”

Kim Sunggyu - no, not my brother, though he was definitely more of a hyung than a nim - gives me a stern look and his eyes tell me everything. It wasn't that hard to read him, oh no, but me and my colleagues here at INFINITE were so close like a family, we could practically read each other's mind through our eyes. Well...kind of. Here, in Sunggyu's eyes, they tell me of code red. Which means, one of Korea's most admired and beloved VIP celebrities will be gracing our magazine with their presence. We often get code reds, but that's because INFINITE was one of the most highly thought of magazines in the country. Each time we receive an offer for a pictorial, we're honoured to deliver to our very best.

And I wonder who it could be this time.

Sunggyu claps his hands and Woohyun grins at me. "People! We have work to do, sets to prepare, clothes to iron! For the love of god, please work with me!" he yelled and the room grew warmly quiet.

Woohyun approaches me while Sunggyu walks off with a clipboard in his hand to deal with something else. I smile at the guy. He was very dedicated to his work, and as a leader, he had the hardest job of all. But he worked with us rather than making us work under him, and that made me really admire him. "So, who d'you think it is?" Woohyun nudges me while wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I shrug, "I'm not very big on the celebrity scene, hyung."

He chuckles. "Yet you work for a celebrity crammed magazine. Well," he pats me on the back, "you do have an amazing talent."

When he leaves my side, I frown.

I get told I have an amazing talent by many people, though I'm simply just a photographer. I click to take pictures and then demand for more poses, but I can honestly say that it's never enough. I love my job, and photography has always been my hobby and my heart, but sometimes I felt like I lacked wonder. When people look at the pictures I take, their eyes gleam with awe. But there's always something missing when I look through my lens.

"Myungsoo!" Sunggyu calls from the back of the studio. I immediately snap out of my thoughts and sigh as I walk over to him.

"Hyung, who's our guest for this issue?" I ask him.

He smiles thoughtfully at me, though I can't exactly imagine why. "You'll like her, she's..." he whistles, and I an eyebrow up at him. He glares, "she's important, okay? She's just in today for a meeting."

I grin. "She must be super famous then. Actress? Idol? Model?"

He winks, "All three. You'll find out real soon."

Just then, Woohyun appears and the stars dancing around in his eyes baffle me. "Myung, she's-"

I raise my hands up and back away, "Nope, don't tell me anything. Surprise me!" They laugh and I go back to my post, where my camera stands ready for me.

The elevator stops with a ring, and it surprises me because it was unexpected.

Sunggyu yells. "Okay, shut up and start working!"

The doors open. I play with my camera and make sure it's all prepared for Sungjong's scheduled corner for his article on hats for this summer. I wonder if the meeting will be done by then.

Woohyun is already by the elevator, awaiting the princess for today's grand ball. I smile sheepishly to myself.

And that's when I finally decide to look up from my camera and see who the guest was.

But you can never really prepare for what comes next. It's a massive blur right in front of me, Sunggyu and Woohyun rushing in to greet and welcome her and her agent. Other workers murmuring and creating a circle around them as if they were at a concert.

I frown when I realise I didn't get a look at her at all, and it disappoints me because my heart was so heavy with anticipation. Still, the only thing I can do is be patient and just wait for the commotion to be over. Maybe I'll get a glance at her then.

I grin as I hear Sunggyu making a fuss over the crowd. "Yah, I said start working!" but no one budged. "Or you'll all be fired!"

Instantly, the commotion very slowly died down and muttering under their breaths, the workers lessened one by one until most were at their stations in the studio. I continue to occupy myself with my camera, taking slight glances at the elevator door in pure hope I'd finally see who I'd be honoured to take pictures for.

"Yah, Myungsoo- come here!" Woohyun waves at me and I groan because that means making nervous contact with the guest. I mean, I have done this before, but it's just...it's a girl. And she's bound to be beautiful, she's already famous, and probably has an army of male fans- I'm not saying I like her or could like her that way already, but she knows how to talk and I...I don't. Even in my thoughts I'm talking wreck! I'm used to saying things like 'please face this way' and 'you're doing great' to people I have to take pictures of, I have manners and all, but I'm definitely not good with talking to women people drool over.

I'm even confusing myself right now and I'm not even talking aloud, I-

"Kim Myungsoo!" Sunggyu yells and he glares at me with such expecting eyes that I suddenly have a dry throat. Oh dear god. I walk over to the elevator and Sunggyu grins at me with clenched teeth. I have my eyes down on my feet, my hand resting on the back of my neck nervously. As if rubbing it could make the nerves go away though...

He hits me on the back and I just have to look up.

And I was right.

You could never really prepare yourself for what comes next. Whether it's a fan-crammed mob or a single star. There's surprise everywhere.

She smiles at me, and I was sure I would just melt to a liquid Myungsoo if Sunggyu wasn't pinching me so hard to keep me solid. I took one tiny glance, and that was it. I couldn't look up again, afraid that I would smile like a country fool and trip over flat ground if I reach out my hand to shake hers. Myungsoo, where are your manners now?!

She bows, and yep, I almost melted. "I'm happy to be working with your magazine, and I'm anticipating your skills as a photographer."

Oh, she's talking to me. To me.

She's the one who holds her hand out because I'm the dumbest man in the country. "My name is-" I already know it, who wouldn't? "Bae Suzy. Pleased to meet you!"

Please stop smiling at me, you're far too bright.

Man up, Myungsoo.

But the way her eyes would smile at the same time as would completely took over me. At first it was her smile (of course, she is Bae Suzy), but then it was her smooth skin that made me want to poke her cheek (as crazy as I sound), then it was her hair and how it was curled in all the right places to accentuate her appearance. She was dressed in a simply white dress, a pure angel, and we were almost the same height. It was a tiny glance, just a tiny glance - nothing more, but I know I would never forget how she looked standing in front of me for the first time. I've seen her in so many magazines, dramas, movies, videos and such, but nothing could bear amazement to me as much as having her right there.

Now I am starry eyed.

Sunggyu and Woohyun are waiting for me to do something, and so is Suzy. I clear my throat and try to get a hold of myself. It's just a tiny greeting after all. I take her hand, careful to not show how shaky it was. "Kim Myungsoo, I'm honoured to be here right now." I try to grin, but I'm too stiff. Instead I nod and hide my eyes under my hair.

Well, at least she won't be able to remember a stumbling idiot like me. No one ever does.

I'm the first to let go and back away slightly. "I'll just be...over there." I chuckle my way out of this nervously and head back to my camera.

Suzy, please have mercy on my poor soul.


First chapter up, yay. I hope you like it, readers :)

Please anticipate more updates, I have a very long summer and I hope to finish this in less than 15 chapters.

There's more Myungzy coming up, I promise ;_;

thank you for reading!:) ♥