Prologue

Shattering the Heart of Glass

Prolouge

Aww, what? Are you starting to cry now??”

The timid girl silently sniffed to herself and reached a trembling hand up to wipe the hot tears that were spilling out from behind her thick glasses. Hyojin couldn’t help an amused smirk from forming on her face. Hyojin reached a hand over and forcefully shoved the petite girl in her shoulder, causing a small squeak to escape her lips when she had abruptly stumbled back into the lockers behind her. “Can’t take a few harsh words huh, four eyes?” Hyojin sneered, bringing her face close up to the girl’s own face.

“P-please… I-I need to go h-home…!” the girl desperately pleaded with a shaky voice, her eyes fixated on the ground beneath her feet. She didn't dare to look Hyojin in the eyes.

“But if you go home, then I’ll have nothing to do and I’ll get bored.” Not a bit of remorse was evident in Hyojin’s voice. “You’re certainly amusing enough for me. I mean, you started to cry a lot earlier than all of the other girls I’ve tormented.” The pure delight that hung in Hyojin’s voice sent terrified shivers down the girl’s spine.

Gathering up all of her courage in one moment, the fearful girl looked Hyojin straight in the eyes. “Please, let me go!!” she bravely spoke.

Hyojin raised her eyebrows at the girl. She blankly stared at the girl in silence for a moment before snapping an arm up to angrily shove the girl down. The frail girl collapsed down onto the ground, her loose glasses flying off her face. She helplessly stared down at her glasses that had landed a foot away; small droplets of her tears still trickling down the lenses. Just before she could reach an arm out to grab it, Hyojin suddenly stomped her foot onto it and crushed it in two.

The girl gasped. “You think you’re tough for speaking out to me like that you little ?” Hyojin spat. She raised her leg up and heartlessly stomped down onto the glasses again and again, the distinct crunch of the glass shattering beneath the soles of Hyojin’s feet echoing through the hallway.

“Try doing that again without hiding behind these stupid ing glasses of yours.” Hyojin kicked the glass shards towards the girl who couldn’t bear to witness this scene unfolding before her anymore, and was motionlessly lying on the ground with clenched eyes and hysterically weeping. “Nothing annoys me more than girls who think they can act all tough just because-“ Hyojin suddenly trailed off and gazed down at the disorientated girl in front of her; her choked up sobs almost painfully cutting through the silence surrounding the two of them. Hyojin stared at the tiny bits of shining glass scattered around the floor and then up at the girl again.

 

She kept crying…

 

Why was she crying so much?

 

Why won’t she just stop already??

 

Hyojin’s fingers curled up into her palms to makes tight fists. “Stop crying already!!!” Hyojin frantically screamed, seizing her arm down to snatch the girl’s arm up and yanking her up to her feet. Hyojin pulled her arm back and was ready to launch an anger fueled fist right into the girl’s face. 

Until a hand tightly clutched her wrist. Hyojin let out a small cry of pain and snapped her head to the side to look over at the person who dared to stop her.

“Leave her alone.” Hyojin’s eyes trailed up to look into a pair of eyes that were darkened with rage. The owner of those eyes bared a demeanor that didn’t falter at all in comparison. His eyes stared daggers down at Hyojin and his mouth was set into a hard line. The boy’s distinctively deep voice still rang and resonated in Hyojin’s mind. Hyojin winced in pain when his grip on her wrist tightened. “Let her go.” He firmly ordered.

Hyojin whipped her hand away and the girl had almost lifelessly slipped down onto the floor against the lockers. Hyojin then managed to yank her arm away from the boy standing before her, and scowled up at him. “Mind your own damn business!!” Hyojin grumbled with knitted eyebrows.

“You mess with anybody here in school, and it is  my business.” He boldly retorted, taking a step towards Hyojin. Hyojin withdrew a step back herself and then shot a glance over at the girl and then at the towering boy before her. Rolling her eyes, Hyojin turned around on her heel and stomped down the hall.

The boy’s hard expression relaxed when he had seen Hyojin turn the corner and he turned to kneel down next to the girl, the crunch of the glass shards crushing against the soles of his shoes which alerted her of his presence. “You alright?” he gently asked, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“Yeah… thanks Chanyeol…” she weakly said, looking up at him through blurry eyes.

“She’s gone now, so you don’t have to worry.” He said, his famous pearly smile instantly rising up his face. The girl returned a small smile back at him and nodded.

“I really can’t thank you enough. I don’t know what I would have done if things would have gone any farther.”

“I know. That has no boundaries, or any sense at all.” Chanyeol shot a glare in the direction Hyojin had ran off in and then looked back at the girl. “Don’t you worry. She won’t be bullying you or anyone else as long as my friends and I are around.”

The girl nodded, wiping her eyes of tears that were threatening to spill out again. Chanyeol took a moment to fully examine the girl before him. Her eyes were almost swollen shut thanks to all the tears she had shed, there were red hand marks all over her arms, her hair was a mess; appearing to have been pulled and yanked here and there, and there were slight remnants of dirt smeared on her mangled up uniform. Chanyeol felt rage and anger begin to bubble up within him.

 

You’re complete scum for tormenting innocent people like this on a daily basis.

 

I hate you with all my heart Hong Hyojin, and I always will.