Everybody Wants to be a Cat

A Completion of Kaixing Goodness

 Lay misses the days when his life was peaceful. The days he had his favorite sleeping spots all to himself and didn’t have to share his toys. The days when he could walk around the apartment without having to look around suspiciously in case he was about to be ambushed by an exited ball of fluff. But most of all he misses the times he could take a nap undisturbed. Lay’s human is very respectful of this. The petite boy with the golden hair and soft hands knows that nap time is sacred – you don’t disturb Lay during nap time.

Unfortunately, Kai doesn’t seem to understand this no matter how many times Lay has hissed and lashed out at him for waking him up. It’s fair to say that Lay hasn’t had very many peaceful moment since Luhan, Lay’s human, brought home the scruffy little black and grey tabby kitten.

“Lay, this is Kai. Be nice to him alright.” He’d said holding out his cupped hands where the small ball of fluff cowered so Lay could greet the new addition to the family.

Kai had been scared at first which was understandable since he had just gotten here. When Luhan brought Lay home for the first time he had only been a wee kitten himself and he had hid under the couch in the living room for almost an hour before he dared to venture out to explore. Now the new kitten clung to Luhan for safety until he managed to gather the courage to take a look around.

At first he had thought that Kai was cute stumbling around the apartment poking stuff, playing with shoe laces and tripping over his own paws as he hurried to escape from the terror of the full length mirror in Luhan’s bedroom.

Well that was until he realized just how annoying the little thing was.

The first incident, as Lay liked to call it, happened about two days after Kai had entered his and Luhan’s lives. Lay had found a sunny spot on the living room carpet and decided that it would be a good place for a nap.

He had just made himself comfortable lying half on his back and started to doze off, the sunlight bouncing of his gray spotted white fur, when a small gray and black ball of fluff suddenly collided with his stomach knocking the air right out of his lungs.

Scrambling to his paws with wide eyes and tail rigid he searched for whatever had knocked into him his gaze fell on the kitten Luhan had brought home just a few days earlier. Kai, who had fallen backwards when Lay stood up so abruptly, meowed in his high pitched kitten voice and twisted around on the carpet to find a more comfortable position on his stomach. He one of his tiny paws leisurely only to startle violently when Lay let out a sharp hiss. The kitten peered up at the big Bengal cat staring down at him with green eyes before getting up and bolting from the living room.

Lay stared after him for a moment, contemplating weather or not he should go after Kai to let him know a little bit more how not okay it was to interrupt nap time. Deciding against it he turned his head back towards the spot where he’d been about to fall asleep moments earlier he noticed sourly that the sun had been covered by clouds, putting a successful end to his plans to nap in the sun.

Instead he trotted through the living room towards the bed room thinking that he could sleep on his cat palace. There Kai wouldn’t be able to get to him since the kitten was so small and the palace was pretty high since Lay was a pretty big cat too.

As he walked through the door he spotted Luhan who was lying on his stomach on the bed reading a book. He walked over on silent paws and jumped up beside his human, nuzzling against Luhan’s chin demanding  to be petted and earning a few scratches under his chin as an  answer. Deeming it enough for now he moved over to settle down on Luhan’s back and nap there where it was more warm and comfy but still somewhere a certain kitten couldn’t disturb him.

It was one thing after another after that. Twice he’d been woken up by small paws on his face and sharp little teeth nipping at his ears. Kai had almost been scratched by Lay’s sharp claws the first time – the kitten had gotten away just in time for avoiding it – and the second time Lay had chased him through the kitchen, caught him by the scruff of his neck and carried him up on his cat palace and left him there. Kai, who was too small to be able to get down from there on his own, had meowed loudly for almost an hour until Luhan came home from work and rescued him. Lay had been scolded profusely for that but he really couldn’t be blamed for the fact that the kitten just wouldn’t leave him alone now could he.

Then, about two weeks after Luhan had brought Kai home, Lay was on his way to one of his favorite sleeping spots – the armchair by the window in Luhan’s room – when the annoying kitten came shooting out from under the bed. Lay startled and jumped around, hissing at Kai who was now after the larger cats tail. Lay hissed again making Kai stop and huddle on the dark green carpet and press his ears against his little head.

Lay looked down at the tabby little thing who kept his blue eyes trained on the ground. The older of the two walked over to the kitten, picking him up in his mouth by the scruff of his neck. Kai meowed in protest but didn’t struggle. He walked out of the bedroom into the living room.

The distinct feeling of being watched suddenly came over him – not an entirely pleasant feeling, mind you. He let his gaze sweep through the room. There, on the couch, sat Luhan and a tall, gangly boy Lay had seen a few times before but didn’t know the name of. All he knew was that the boy was the human who owned Kris and Chanyeol – two big Somali cats that lived close by.

The two humans where staring at the two cats with huge eyes. Lay stared back at them, Kai still hanging in the air, his little legs tucked up to his body and ears pressed flat against his head.

“Aw that is so cute.” Lay fixed his gaze on the gangly boy as he mumbled to Luhan. He talks funny. Luhan gave a soft laugh.

“Yeah it is but I think Lay’s scolding Kai, Sehun.” Damn straight I am. He startled me and tried to chase my tail. That is so not ok.

Lay turned away from the couch and started walking through the short hallway towards the apartment door. He dropped Kai by the shoe rack and the kitten whimpered quietly.

Lay quickly turned around and trotted back to the living room and jumped up onto the couch beside Luhan and making himself comfortable against his humans leg. I might as well sleep here. He started purring as Luhan scratched his ears.

“You big meany you. He’s just a baby Lay.” Luhan scolded him softly.

There was a thump and then a high pitched, upset meow from the ground. Luhan and Sehun both laughed loudly and Luhan bent down and picked up Kai who, once again, had failed to jump up on the couch.

Lay eyed the kitten, annoyed that the he hadn’t stayed where Lay left him, as Kai began to make his way towards Lay over Luhan’s legs. The kitten sat down in front of him.

I’m sorry.” He mumbled in his light kitten voice. He looked at the older cat with huge sad eyes. “I just wanted to play, but you never want to play with me.” Lay sighed. If cats could cry. He thought. He flicked his tail in annoyance and the kitten cowered against Luhan’s knee. “Can I nap with you?

Surprised, Lay stared at him. This had never happened before. Usually Kai would just pounce on him, head but him or chew on his ears and wake him up.

You want to nap with me?” Kai nodded eagerly.

It’s lonely napping on my own.” Lay continued to stare at him for a few more moments as the tabby kitten hung his little head in defeat thinking Lay wouldn’t let him.

Then, surprising both Kai and himself, Lay muttered and “okay” before lying down on his side again and the, now very happy, kitten curled up against his stomach. The older cat had to reluctantly admit to himself that it was kind of comfy. Okay so maybe he could tolerate Kai when the kitten behaved and was being polite asking for permission.

In the meantime the two humans were watching the little scene unfold, smiling softly at the two cats.

__________________________________________________________________________

And it’s done! finally. I really make you guys wait for the updates huh? Sorry ‘bout that >.< Well let me know what you think about the chapter ^^

So what do you want next – ballet!au or angst??