Romance Is [Part 1]

To Whom It May Concern

A/N: This is more of a preview than anything. I plan on finishing the rest of the chapter this weekend! It's been a while since I've updated so I figured I'd at least give you guys the first half :3!! Enjoy!!

It was an understatement to say that Sooyoung had an extra spring in her step the next morning.

Sunday was the day that Sooyoung had earlier designated as her sleep in day, her day to make up for the sleep she’d probably lose during the duration of the week due to assignments or staying up to study. And yet, here she was, awake at 9AM inside a nearby diner with her best friend Yoona.

The best friend wasn’t exactly appreciative however, her eyes half open and wide as she let out a monstrous yawn. She wasn’t entirely sure where she was and she wasn’t even sure if she was appropriately dressed to be in public, but what she did know was that Sooyoung was smiling so widely that the pure happiness she excreted could make her blind.

“I’m happy for you and all, but couldn’t you have waited at least one more hour?” Yoona groaned, another yawn finding its way out of her large mouth. She scratched her neck before wiping her eyes again.

“No,” came Sooyoung’s simple answer, her smile not faltering for even a second. “I would’ve actually called you last night but we got home late and I passed out once I hit the bed.”

Yoona sort of got all of that. She thinks. Wait, was that coffee she smelled? That was essential.

She flagged down the waitress and ordered a cup of coffee while listening to Sooyoung continue, mentioning something about a moonlit walk and trees and nature and Sunny or whatever.

“Are you paying attention?” Sooyoung asked with a huff.

“Does it look like I’m paying attention?” Yoona retorted with a weak roll of her eyes. “Geez Sooyoung, you could wait just a second before giving me the details of your dream date. I don’t even remember what the date is.”

“It’s the day right after my first date with Sunny,” Sooyoung instantly said, quite proudly as well, with a puff of her chest.

Yoona gave up and excused herself from the table to go to the washroom and splash some cold water on her face. There was no other way around it.

“Okay, okay I’m awake now. You’re going to have to start from the beginning though, I don’t remember anything after you barging into my room and dragging me out here,” Yoona declared as she dumped endless amounts of sugar into her coffee and one teaspoon of cream. She may have sounded grumpy, but she was smiling, so happy to see that Sooyoung thoroughly enjoyed her date.  As annoyed as she was to be out of her bed a second before 11AM on a Saturday, her heart was pounding to find out the juicy details of their date.

The two ordered altogether, five different meals since they couldn’t decide on a final menu. The waitress had to triple check to make sure the girls knew what they were into, but they laughed and told her not to worry.

Pancake and fruit plate, check. Bacon, ham, sausage and three sunny side eggs, check. Western style omelette and home fries, check. Belgian waffle with whipped cream, chocolate syrup and strawberries, check. And finally, 3 eggs benedict with extra hollandaise sauce, soft boiled, on top of ham and brie on top of an English muffin, check. Oh, and not to mention a full pot of coffee per Yoona’s request.

Of course, they shared all five meals, but it didn’t stop the nearby patrons from making bets to see if they could finish all of it.

The two dug in with eyes sparkling with lust, their tummies grumbling from not having food all night. Sooyoung even began recalling her date despite being full. But of course, Yoona had no problem understanding the words that came out of (and quickly brushed off the crumbs that came with the words).

“…and then after she took me all the way to my dorm and we said our goodnight! As you probably know, my mind was begging for her to kiss me, but instead I just got a hug. Not that I was disappointed of course! She’s so small, you know? And I think hugging her is my new favourite thing,” Sooyoung spoke so quickly it was a mystery how she didn’t choke on her food by accident. Yoona nodded and her smile never fell from her face as she continued to stuff down the rest of the pancake she was working on.

“I think you reminded me of how small she was like 100 times throughout your story,” Yoona replied with a roll of her eyes. “Anyway, so she hugged you then said goodnight? That it?”

Sooyoung suddenly jumped, causing Yoona to jump in her seat a little as well.

“No wait! I just remembered something I wanted to show you,” she said with a little squeal before digging into her pockets for her phone.

“Aww, did you guys continue to text each other even after the date?” Yoona teased with a wiggle of her brows.

Sooyoung blushed as she unlocked her phone and gave Yoona a simple nod, “I was tired but I got a text from her saying goodnight again so I couldn't help but respond and, and just look!!”

Sooyoung turned the phone over and Yoona squinted her eyes to see the small font on the screen.

Sunny: Surprisingly, I had a fun time Sooyoung. I’ll see you soon and I hope you have a good night. <3

“Do you see it?” Sooyoung exclaimed excitedly, pointing at the text repeatedly. “Do you see it?!”

“She had a fun time? That’s good, that means a second date is likely right?” Yoona nodded enthusiastically, “You’re so lucky Syoungie, I wish I found someone like-“

“No! Look! Look!!” Sooyoung pointed directly at the end of the text and even circled the little symbol at the end. “Do you not see this?”

“Oh!” Yoona could only roll her eyes again at Sooyoung. She was starting to sound like a little girl getting a text from her first crush, “The heart?”

“Yes! The heart! That’s a really good sign right?” Sooyoung held the phone close to her heart and sighed deeply, “She told me she kinda likes me too and…and…oh Yoong I don’t know how to contain myself anymore!”

Yoona burst into laughter at Sooyoung’s exaggerated and dramatic speech, “Calm down a bit would you? I think Sunny unnie would be a little scared if she saw you like this.”

Sooyoung could only wiggle in her seat before popping a piece of apple in .

“Would she really be scared?” she pouted at her best friend and forced a strawberry into .

“Come on Sooyoungie, I don’t mean to be mean or anything but don’t forget that she wasn’t interested to begin with right? She hides her gem for a reason and you know about the history of her parents. This is all new to her and she probably wants to take it slow.” Yoona shrugged before feeding Sooyoung a piece of ham. “I don’t want to discourage you, but you shouldn’t get too too excited, okay? Take it slow, besides you enjoy things better this way, right?”

Sooyoung sighed, of course Yoona was right. It’s not like she hadn’t thought it over on her own, but she had to let her excitement out somehow. But from the blunt reaction her friend gave her, maybe she should take it down a notch now. She had her victory dance, her victory screech, her victory meal, but now it was time to carefully think about the next move.

“Aw, Youngie don’t pout like that,” Yoona felt a little sorry for being too honest, but there was no other way to talk to her best friend. They were always brutally honest with each other after all. “Smile and reminisce about last night all you want, just don’t forget about a little thing called reality, okay?”

Sooyoung nodded, “Yeah, you’re right.” She smiled softly at the plate before her, almost completely cleared off with just one egg remaining. The bright yellow yolk soon turned into Sunny’s laughing face and her smile only grew a little more. If only she could see that face more often. But Yoona was right, she should slow down and consider things on Sunny’s side as well. Was she as excited as she was about the date? Did she wake up and leap into the shower before dragging her best friend to the closest breakfast joint? Did she close her eyes and think of Sooyoung right away? Is she thinking about how much she wants that second date?

Sooyoung took in a deep breath before breaking the yolk and gobbling it up. She needed to come back down to earth and remember that assignment she has due tomorrow and that test she has on Wednesday. She needed to breathe and remember that despite how absolutely delightful she felt after last night, it was only another day and another small step towards a blossoming relationship.