Just Do It

To Whom It May Concern

After classes were done, Yoona and Sooyoung decided to have some cake and smoothies at a local café. Yoona had suggested that they make visits after classes since it was recommended by many other students on campus. It was rather cozy and a few other students were occupying the space. Making themselves at home in a table at a corner, they looked over each other’s notes and discussed the lecture until Yoona suddenly remembered something.

 

“So, don’t think I’m going to let you off the hook,” she started, her lips twisting to form a grin that made Sooyoung nervous. She knew exactly what she wanted to talk about. Sooyoung sighed, waiting for the onslaught of questions.

 

“Who was that girl?” she was straight forward and to the point, but Sooyoung wanted to push the girl over for looking so excited about the answer. She was leaning forward, her hair almost falling into the drinks that they had ordered, her big mouth refusing to close. She was surprised that the slightly younger girl hadn’t knocked over their notes with the way her body moved against the table in excitement.

 

“Which girl? There were three girls earlier, you need to be more specific,” Sooyoung responded with a smirk. She wanted to play with Yoona for a bit, at least until she had to admit everything.

 

Yoona rolled her eyes and sat back, crossing her arms. formed an equally playful smirk as she continued her questioning.

 

 

“The one who made you look like a ten year old with the biggest crush on her teacher. Or more specifically, the blonde shorty. What was her name again?”

 

Sooyoung felt herself blush as she fanned her face, “Sunny.” Was it getting hot suddenly? Maybe she was close? Sooyoung looked down at her stone which was refusing to glow and she suddenly felt disappointed. She sighed and looked at Yoona as she waited for a response.

 

“I didn’t know you were into girls,” Yoona commented with a genuinely surprised face. Although the Sooyoung she knew was seriously into the prophecy of the gem, she was still like other girls her age and had plenty of crushes and obsessions with other boys and male celebrities. But never has she shown any interest in girls. “What changed?”

 

The taller girl leaned against the table, her arms tucked under her chest as she leaned forward and slowly became more docile at the thought of her potential soul mate. Yoona caught this and leaned forward as well, wriggling her in excitement.

 

“She’s the one,” Sooyoung answered in a small and shy voice. Her cheeks were absolutely pink and Yoona adored it. Her best friend has always had obnoxious, over the top crushes but she’s never been this submissive about someone. It was completely adorable and Yoona wanted so badly to pinch her cheeks.

 

“Tell me everything!” Yoona replied, grabbing Sooyoung’s hands and rubbing the back of her palms with her thumbs. “Don’t you dare spare me any detail, and the food’s on you for not telling me about her right away.”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, but her blush didn’t subside. In all honestly, she was waiting for the perfect opportunity to spill everything about Sunny and how her gem glowed and basically get every word in from the beginning to the end, but she wasn’t even sure how to start. It was all so overwhelming to discuss.

 

“It all started when I found out that Taeyeon, my roommate, had found her soul mate.”

 

Yoona scrunched up her face and tried to think of the moment hours ago when she briefly met the older girl, “I didn’t notice she had a crimson gem.”

 

“She covers it,” Sooyoung replied with a solemn nod, “Her entire group does. But her girlfriend, Jessica, the other girl you met is almost always attached to her arm so you can put two and two together.”

 

“Why do they cover it?” Yoona asked as she tilted her head. Throughout their entire high school career, never has she heard of anyone in her classes who hid their gem purposefully.

 

“Taeyeon never fully explained it,” Sooyoung responded with a shrug, “But I’m going to assume that it’s because they don’t want to flaunt their status? Or maybe it has something to do with Sunny being against the whole thing.”

 

Yoona’s eyes grew wide. How could Sooyoung’s potential soul mate be against the system? Wouldn’t her match made in heaven be equally as obsessed?

 

“She’s against it?”

 

Sooyoung let out a deep sigh before explaining to Yoona the story of how she visited Sunny and Jessica’s place and how she pretended to sleep while Sunny explained the story of her parents. She told Yoona of how Sunny didn’t want to pursue the glowing gems and how Taeyeon told her that she was stubborn about it and she explained to Yoona that she’s been trying her hardest to keep her distance from the short girl.

 

“Hold up,” Yoona was frowning and shaking her head, “And you’re actually listening?”

 

The Sooyoung Yoona knew was more stubborn and freakishly obnoxious than this, especially when it came to love. The Sooyoung she knew would be trying her hardest to change Sunny’s mind and take every opportunity she could to make the other girl fall in love with her.

 

“I don’t want to scare her away,” Sooyoung replied meekly, knowing what her best friend was thinking. She had her hand resting gently on her chest. “And whenever I sense her, or whenever she’s near I feel weak in my knees and I can’t even think straight.”

 

Yoona smiled sweetly at her partner in crime before taking her hands into her own, “Sooyoungie, you’re not going to scare her away. I’m not saying you should stalk her, but you could at least ask her out for some tea or coffee or something. There’s no harm in that, right?”

 

The taller girl bit her lip and thought about it for a moment. Yoona could see Sooyoung contemplating and placed her hand on the girl’s chubby cheeks, caressing her face.

 

“When we were growing up, you always told me about your dreams of grand romance and finding your soul mate and falling in love and living happily ever after,” Yoona’s big eyes were offering Sooyoung all the support she could muster as she encouraged her with her words. “You don’t know what you could be missing out, she doesn’t know what she could be missing out.”

 

Sooyoung took Yoona’s hand in her own and squeezed it, “Yoong, it’s not like I haven’t thought about it. Since our first encounter I’ve actually been thinking about making my move it’s just…”

 

“Come on! You’re all bark and no bite, aren’t you?” Yoona teased, wagging her finger in front of her best friend’s face. “You’ve constantly talked about your undeniable charm and now you’re too scared to talk to this girl.”

 

“I’m not scared!” Sooyoung retaliated, her face heating up again. “I just, I have to think carefully okay. I can’t just go up to her and ask her out.”

 

“Yes you can,” Yoona said with a roll of her eyes, “It’s settled okay? Promise me you’ll ask her out.”

 

The taller girl slumped on their table, defeated but excited altogether. It made it easier to accomplish the task when her best friend was cheering her on and practically forcing her to do something she should have done ages ago.

 

“But what if she rejects me?” Sooyoung asked in the smallest voice Yoona has ever heard.

 

The younger girl reached over and knocked on Sooyoung’s head, “Hello? Sooyoung unnie, are you there?” Sooyoung grabbed her head and pouted, Yoona’s undeniable strength once again proving true with the ringing in her head. “The Sooyoung I know would be overflowing with confidence and marching out there to find Sunny unnie right now to pop the question.”

 

“You’re right,” the taller girl nodded and pumped her fist, “I can do this, I can do this!”

 

Yoona was satisfied as she crossed her arms and nodded furiously, “Good, good. Don’t forget to text me right after the deed is done, okay?”

 

“You’ll be the first to know, don’t worry,” Sooyoung reassured the younger girl, a wide smile appearing on her face. Her earlier plans of wooing the girl suddenly came rushing back and with the encouragement from Yoona, she felt even more determined to get her soul mate to fall for her.

 

The two noisy girls only got noisier as they constantly changed conversation topic as they usually did. Their initial plans of helping each other get readings done flew out the window as they found more interesting things to talk about like the best places near campus to get dinner and what movies were currently in theatre that they just had to watch as soon as possible. Before they knew it, the sun was down and they were the only ones left in the café.

 

“So what about you, Yoong?”

 

 

“What about me?” Yoona asked as she the last remaining drops of her third smoothie of the day.

 

Sooyoung waggled her eyebrows suggestively and gave her best friend a gross wink, “Do you have any suitors yet?”

 

Yoona instantly blushed and did her best to restrain herself from throwing her now empty glass at Sooyoung.

 

“You had a million lining up for you in high school,” Sooyoung reminded the younger girl with a shrug, “I don’t see how it could be any different here. You are completely gorgeous after all.”

 

Yoona sighed and waved her hand dismissively, “As usual, you’re being ridiculous and over complimenting me. But no, no suitors or people lining up to meet me.”

 

Sooyoung was about to repeat her previous wiggle of her eye brows until Yoona threw a napkin at her.

 

“Don’t you dare do that again.”

 

It was closing time for the café and the two were finally kicked out. When they found themselves outside and staring at the moon, they realized how much time they wasted inside the café just chatting away.

 

Sooyoung checked her cell phone and giggled to herself.

 

“What is it?” Yoona asked, looking at her best friend curiously.

 

The taller girl waved her flashing phone at Yoona revealing the onslaught of text messages she got from her roommate.

 

“Taengoo is really mad at me for not telling her where I went,” Sooyoung revealed with a shake of her head. “She’s such a mom sometimes.”

 

“Which reminds me!” Yoona exclaimed, raising her arm in excitement, “We need to have a roommate double date!”

 

Sooyoung nodded her head furiously in agreement, “Yes, yes I’d love to meet your roommate and you’re really going to love Taeyeon.”

 

“Let’s get dinner tomorrow, yeah?”

 

 

“Of course, of course, I’ll tell her once I get back to our dorm.”

 

The best friends pinky swore and hugged each other tightly before heading their separate ways. Yoona’s dorm room was in a different building from Sooyoung’s on the other side of campus. It made it a bit more difficult to hang out, but it didn’t stop the power couple from hanging out as much as possible. It was a pity they couldn’t be roommates, but the two decided that no work would get done that way and that it was better for them to meet new people.

 

The walk back to her dorm was short and breezy. Sooyoung really appreciated the beauty of her campus. It was peaceful at night despite the stories of the wild parties that would occur. Perhaps it was because it was a weekday? Either way, it was a relief that Sooyoung didn’t have to worry about getting harassed on her way home.

 

Quietly, Sooyoung opened the door to her dorm room and found that the lights were off. She felt it was strange since it was only 10PM, but Taeyeon must have had a tough day.

 

“Goodnight, Taeng,” Sooyoung whispered to her sleeping roommate. She looked so peaceful despite her body looking like it was flinging itself in all sorts of different directions.

 

She giggled to herself before turning to change into something more comfortable. She had an early class tomorrow, so she might as well turn herself in as well.

 

“Where have you been?” a voice suddenly called out, causing Sooyoung to shriek.

 

With the small proximity of their dorm room, it was a surprise that the tall girl didn’t knock anything over with her long arms. Her back was right up against the door however, as she tried to steady her breathing from the shock she just experienced.

 

“W-What you’re awake?” the stunned girl asked, her eyes threatening to pop out of her head.

 

 

“Of course I am,” Taeyeon mumbled back. Her voice was low and raspy, the girl had obviously fallen asleep a few times already. “I was worried about you.”

 

“Taengoo, it’s 10PM,” Sooyoung replied flatly, walking over to her roommate to play with her hair.

 

 

“It’s dangerous at night!” the older girl retorted, a frown on her face. “All kinds of people are wandering out there, you never know what could happen.”

 

Sooyoung patted the girls cheek before kissing it briefly and fleeing over to her bed, giggling at Taeyeon’s obviously red and flustered face.

 

 

“I know I’m gorgeous and difficult to resist, but you really don’t have to worry about me, unnie,” Sooyoung chuckled lightly seeing that Taeyeon’s expression still hadn’t changed, except for the slight shudder evident after her awkward expression of aegyo. With each interaction they had, she just felt that much closer to the small girl. It was so easy to talk to her and and within the few weeks that they’ve known each other, Sooyoung felt a great affection for her. And with this nonsense worrying, it was clear that Taeyeon also cared a lot about her as well.

 

“Just go to bed,” Taeyeon grumbled, turning over and hiding the small smile that spread over her face. “Reply to my text messages next time though, okay?”

 

 

“Yeah, yeah, sorry about that. I’ll try not to worry you next time.”

 

Sooyoung shook her head again at Taeyeon’s motherly tendencies and smiled so wide that her face hurt. It felt good being cared after so well. She only hoped that Yoona’s roommate treated her similarly.

 

“Good.”

 

“Goodnight, Taeng.”

 

“Night Sooyoung.”

 

As silence engulfed the two, Sooyoung closed her eyes and tried to let sleep take her. It had certainly been a long day and it was a lot of work getting adjusted to university life. Sooyoung loved the feeling however. She loved the new experiences, her classes, her professors and her new independent life.

 

Her mind filled with the readings and lectures that occurred in classes today. She thought about random moments that stuck out and how her professor needed to shave. But then, as usual her mind trailed back to one person.

 

Sunny. Oh how Sooyoung missed the girl’s face, her voice, her laugh. It was almost sickening how infatuated she had become with the girl. How could she help it? Destiny was calling for them to be together, but they had not had the opportunity to pursue anything. Her mind plagued her with possible future scenarios, like first dates, first kisses and the changing colours of her stone.

 

She nodded to herself, remembering her very important conversation with Yoona and forming a very clear picture in her mind of what she needed to do next.

 

“Taeyeon?” Sooyoung called out into the darkness.

 

“Yeah?” came a sleepy reply.

 

“Yoona, my best friend who you met today wants to have a roommate double date tomorrow night. Is that okay?” her voice was at normal volume but it seemed to echo in the dark and quiet room.

 

“Sure just tell me when and where,” Taeyeon replied with a slight slur and yawn.

 

“I’m really excited for you to meet-“

 

“Can this wait until the morning?” Taeyeon mumbled back as politely as possible. Sooyoung could hear her gritted teeth and let out a laugh as she rolled her eyes.

 

“You’re a grandma, you know?”

 

“A grandma who needs her sleep.”