The Bet

The Missing Piece

A/N: It's been a while, huh? i just watched 50 First Dates again yesterday and thought it's about time I updated. Thank you everyone for your patience! Enjoy this update hehe, it was fun to write.

Sooyoung woke up early again, two days in a row and she wondered if she could ever do this back home when she really needed to. But she shook the thought away as she hopped over to the bathroom to shower and freshen up for the day.

She sang in the shower, shaking her body as she thoroughly lathered herself and decided to use one of the new shampoos she bought the other day. A typical island scent, some coconut or whatever, but Sooyoung loved the smell and so did her friends. She was sure Taeyeon would love it too.

Today she would approach Taeyeon again and this time, she wouldn’t be scaring her off. She reminded herself to treat it like they’re meeting each other for the first time.

She thought about it constantly before going to bed. This was how it was going to be. Every day, for the next month, she’d have to talk to Taeyeon like it was their first time and hang out like it was new to her. When actually, it looked like they’d be having about 30 or so first dates. Her friends were doubtful at first, but after seeing Sooyoung’s determination, they decided that they would support their friend. After all, this vacation was mostly for her sake anyway.

After throwing on a blue shirt and a pair of shorts, Sooyoung exited the shower to the smell of kimchi fried rice and ham.

“Hey! I thought we were going to the diner?” Sooyoung called out, quickly walking to the kitchen to see who was ruining her plan.

Sunny and Hyoyeon stood there in aprons, putting the finishing touches to their meal.

“You said we weren’t allowed in the diner, so I figured we’d have to eat here first if we wanted breakfast,” Sunny explained before walking over and popping a piece of ham into Sooyoung’s mouth.

“Don’t you two have faith in my powers of seduction and Yuri’s fist?” Sooyoung protested while chewing, “I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed.”

Hyoyeon just rolled her eyes, “Settle down Casanova and just eat. Besides, Yul isn’t actually going to beat up Yoona or anything, right?”

Yuri popped up from the couch, bandages wrapped around her hand, “Wait, I’m not? But I woke up early to train!”

Sunny and Hyoyeon exchanged looks before bursting out into laughter simultaneously. Sooyoung just walked over to Yuri, wrapping her arms around her neck happily.

“Good to see I have support from at least one of my so called best friends!”

After some convincing and force feeding from both Hyoyeon and Sunny, the group ate their breakfast before heading down to the diner. Sooyoung charged full speed ahead while the other three hid behind her, holding onto each other.

“They always say that the most unlikely girls are the ones who are actually the strongest,” Sunny whispered, looking both ways as Sooyoung led them to the back door of the diner.

“Are you actually scared Soonkyu?” Hyoyeon chuckled, shaking her head. Her body betrayed her however, as she gripped Yuri’s shirt tightly.

“Don’t worry guys, I’ll protect you,” Yuri said confidently, winking at Hyoyeon and showing Sunny her biggest smile.

Sooyoung on the other hand reached the back door just when Yoona was taking out the garbage.

“Oy, I thought Hyunnie told you to stay away from here,” Yoona growled, eying Sooyoung suspiciously. Even though she was a little shorter, she used the diner’s level to tower over the younger girl.

“Hey, I mean no harm,” Sooyoung said as she raised both hands in defense. “I really, sincerely like Taeyeon and I just want to have breakfast with her.”

Yoona narrowed her eyes, “What did Hyunnie tell you?”

“She told me not to come or else you’ll force me out of here,” Sooyoung replied weakly, pouting as Yoona crossed her arms.

“She’s the boss,” Yoona said with a firm nod, “Now please, I really don’t want to use force.”

“Come on, please just give me a chance? I’m a nice girl, just ask them!” Sooyoung pointed to her three friends who were standing just a metre or so away. They waved and said their good mornings while Yoona just waved back.

“Hm, what makes you think Taeyeonnie even wants to have breakfast with you again?” Yoona snickered before placing her hands on her hips, “She is way too good for you and you know it.”

“Believe me, she wants to have breakfast with me,” Sooyoung retaliated confidently, “Let’s make this interesting. I bet 20 bucks that I can get her to eat with me again.”

Yoona’s eyes lit up at the challenge and turned around to see Taeyeon innocently making another house out of her waffles. She turned back to Sooyoung who looked extremely determined and then shrugged her shoulders, “Hm, 20 extra dollars would be really nice. You have a deal.”

Yoona moved aside to let Sooyoung in and from afar, Yuri, Hyoyeon and Sunny looked confused. Yoona waved them over.

“Wife says Sooyoung can’t come in, not you guys,” she said with a bit of cheer in her voice, “So come on in if you want.”

“But she just walked in,” Hyoyeon said incredulously, looking at Yoona with wide eyes, “Or was I just imagining that?”

“I saw that.”

“Me too.”

“Oh, we just had a little bet,” Yoona chuckled, flipping her hair to the side, “Sooyoung thinks she can get Taeyeon to have breakfast with her again and I said no way, so she bet 20 bucks.”

“Ohhh,” the three girls cooed in unison.

“I want front row seat!” Sunny announced excitedly, running into the diner with Hyoyeon and Yuri following behind.

Sooyoung walked into the diner confidently, her eyes zoning in on Taeyeon immediately. Before she could make her way over, Seohyun blocked her path.

“Whoa, whoa don’t worry Hyunnie. Yoona and I discussed this,” Sooyoung said rather smoothly before sliding to the side to get around Seohyun.

Seohyun turned around and glared at her wife, scaring Yoona into ducking behind the kitchen door. She sighed to herself, she should’ve known Yoona was going to make some sort of deal. She walked over to her wife and flicked her forehead.

“If Taeyeon gets hurt you’re in so much trouble,” Seohyun scolded, hot air steaming out of her nostrils.

Yoona kissed Seohyun on the cheek in an attempt to calm her down, but Seohyun just moved away.

“Okay, okay I take full responsibility!”

Sooyoung grabbed a toothpick and smirked to herself, looks like Taeyeon was having the same problem she had the first time they met. Time to make her move.

“There you go,” Sooyoung announced proudly, sticking a toothpick into the waffle house door to create a proper hinge.

Taeyeon looked up at Sooyoung, eye brow raised and noticeably annoyed, “Excuse me, but do you come from a country where touching other people’s food is okay?”

Sooyoung’s eyes widened as she took a step back, “Uh, I-I’m from South Korea…and um…sorry.”

She turned around and walked away, defeated and wanting to kick herself for such a lame answer. She made eye contact with Yoona before the girl started dancing in the kitchen.

Sunny, Hyoyeon and Yuri were trying to hold in their laughter as they escorted their friend out of the diner, trying their best to help preserve her pride.

“Double or nothing tomorrow!” Sooyoung called out, clenching her fist as she stomped out of the diner.

Taeyeon looked over at Yoona, tilting her head. Yoona just winked at her before returning to her work.

“She’s not getting any tonight,” Seohyun mumbled to Taeyeon. The small girl was a little confused, but laughed anyway, seeing that Yoona heard her wife and immediately began to frown.

The next morning, Sooyoung got up first again and showered. This time she put on a nice white blouse and a pair of short shorts and even fixed her hair a little. This time, she would succeed.

She took a moment to think while she ate the breakfast Hyoyeon and Yuri prepared this time. Sunny was still asleep, trying to sleep off her hangover from the night before. It seems she would miss today’s attempt, and Sooyoung felt sorry for her, she was certain Taeyeon would invite her for breakfast this time.

Taeyeon taught an art class. Maybe she could impress her with some…sort of attempt at art.

“Can any of you draw?” Sooyoung asked her friends. Yuri and Hyoyeon were stuffing each other’s faces while Sunny was still passed out.

“If I remember correctly, Sunny won the art award in high school,” Yuri managed to spit out, despite Hyoyeon hand shoving a whole apple into .

“Yeah, I think Sunny’s good at the drawing thing,” Hyoyeon agreed, “But she’s knocked out cold. Why?”

Sooyoung sighed, “Useless, everyone is useless.”

When they got to the diner this time, Hyoyeon and Yuri ordered a smoothie to share while they watched Sooyoung’s second attempt. The tall girl had a napkin in her hand with a crudely drawn doodle of a mermaid swimming with a bunch of fish and her two mermaid sisters. It was supposed to be Taeyeon and her sisters, but Hyoyeon said it looked like three gargoyles.

Sooyoung walked up to Taeyeon and coughed into her hand to get her attention, “Hey so, I was just wondering what your opinion is on this drawing I made.”

Taeyeon raised an eye brow as she looked from this stranger to the really awful drawing in her hand.

“It’s a girl mermaid and her two sisters having fun at sea with all these fishies,” Sooyoung explained happily, trying to ooze of charm and all that good stuff. She could feel her legs shaking and she was really nervous, but she was so sure that this attempt would be seen as cute and adorable and therefore Taeyeon had to say yes to her.

“Je suis un cheval,” Taeyeon replied, shrugging her shoulders, “La vache est comme une chevre, n’est pas?”

“You…don’t speak Korean…or English it seems,” Sooyoung sighed, defeated. Was something off about her today? Yesterday? Why wasn’t Taeyeon falling for her charms again?

“Omelette du fromage!”

She turned around and saw Yoona snickering, Seohyun too! And to her surprise, Hyoyeon and Yuri had spat out their drink, probably trying their best to contain their own laughter.

“Forty!!” Yoona celebrated, doing a little dance with a nearby patron.

“Tomorrow!” Sooyoung shouted out, determined. Taeyeon just watched the tall stranger walk away, oblivious to Yoona’s victory dance in the other corner of the diner.

The stranger was pretty, Taeyeon had to admit, but she did not feel like dealing with someone hitting on her so early in the morning. Still, she did hesitate to react that way. Somehow, the tall girl seemed familiar.

The next morning, Sooyoung practically leaped out of bed as she got herself ready for her third attempt. Third time’s the charm, right? She ran out of the room and met with Hyoyeon, Yuri and Sunny who were eating a simple breakfast of rice, eggs and spam. It was a gift from Yoona the other day after Sooyoung lost so badly.

“You guys are betraying me by eating that,” Sooyoung growled, glaring at the fried canned meat.

“Come on Syoung, eat up! It’s actually delicious. It’ll give you strength for today’s attempt,” Sunny encouraged, holding up a bowl of rice for her best friend.

Of course, Sooyoung couldn’t refuse food, “I’m certain I’ll get her to eat with me today. I have a full proof idea.”

“Thinking of sharing with us?” Hyoyeon asked, wiggling her eye brows at Sooyoung.

But Sooyoung blushed, recoiling in her seat because her idea was actually…ridiculous.

“What is it?” Yuri asked, leaning on the table to get closer to Sooyoung.

“It’s…a surprise.”

Hyoyeon, Yuri and Sunny were sitting on a booth a few tables away from Taeyeon, sharing a bowl of fruit. Yoona was watching from afar, carefully keeping her eyes on Sooyoung after serving a table and Seohyun couldn’t help but watch from behind the kitchen window, having grown curious of Sooyoung’s third attempt.

The regulars were watching as well, wondering if Sooyoung would strike out today.

Surprising everyone, Sooyoung sat on a bar stool and opened up a menu. She glanced at the menu and nodded to herself. She was actually pretty good at English. She could read it easily and could usually understand it, however she had almost no practice at using it. So…this wouldn’t totally be a lie, but she knew that it would be embarrassing. But from what she knows, Taeyeon was one of the sweetest people and so she couldn’t be rejected after this…right?

“P….P…Pien..??” she spoke loudly, reading from the menu slowly and glancing over her shoulder to see if Taeyeon was paying attention.

Taeyeon was looking up, her eye brow raised at the girl reading her menu so loudly.

“Is she having trouble?” Taeyeon asked herself, resting her chin on her hand. But she shrugged, it was probably none of her business and then she went back to her little waffle cabin.

“Pan…Paieen?” she was getting louder and Taeyeon just couldn’t ignore it anymore. She stood up from her table and slowly approached the obnoxious patron.

Sooyoung tried to do it as quickly as possible, but she took some water from her glass and threw it onto her eyes. She wanted it to look like she was crying, and luckily Taeyeon didn’t catch it.

“Hey, are you okay?” Taeyeon asked, placing a hand on Sooyoung’s shoulder and showing off her English. It was Sooyoung’s first time hearing it and she almost screamed at how cute it was.

“I’m stupid! I c-can’t…read,” Sooyoung said, turning to Taeyeon with fake tears all over her face.

In the booth Sooyoung’s three best friends were in, all girls were clutching their stomach and covering their mouths, trying so hard not to laugh out loud.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Yoona mumbled to herself, shaking her head at Sooyoung’s lack of shame.

Sooyoung continued to wail and she suddenly wondered if maybe she should’ve continue to pursue her drama classes instead of dancing. But then Taeyeon’s hand was on the hand that was tightly clutching her menu and she suddenly stopped thinking of anything else.

“Hey, don’t cry,” Taeyeon said, trying to calm down the stranger, “If you want, I can help you.”

“No, no I can do this,” Sooyoung responded slowly before shaking her head and tightening her grip on the menu. “I’ll just get some pan…pan…panc…”

“Panca-“ Taeyeon was about to finish the word for her when the stranger made another attempt.

“Panca-“ Sooyoung forced out, trying her best to sound as dumb as possible, “Pan clocks?”

“Pancakes!” Seohyun said out loud, feeling incredibly frustrated with the situation before her.

“Okay, I’ll get pancakes,” the patron next to her said. Seohyun almost forgot she was taking orders.

“It’s pancakes,” Taeyeon repeated slowly, but Sooyoung began to thrash in her seat.

“Pancakes! Yes, pancakes oh God, I’m so stupid! Stupid! Stupid!!” she sobbed into her arms and turned to see if Taeyeon was still paying attention and to her luck, Taeyeon was looking at her with a worried look.

In reality, Taeyeon was chuckling a little on the inside. Was this woman trying to get her attention? It sure was a silly method. But this stranger was pretty and she must’ve really wanted her attention to do something so ridiculous.

“No, no, don’t worry,” Taeyeon said calmly, patting Sooyoung’s hand again, “Come on, you can sit with me and we can eat some panclocks together and I can show you some of the words on the menu.”

“R-Really?” Sooyoung responded, sniffling and batting her eyelashes cutely at Taeyeon.

“Yes really,” Taeyeon said with a light chuckle, “Now come on, I’m right over here.”

She took Sooyoung’s hand and led her over to her table. Sooyoung nodded and continued to sniffle, thanking the small girl for her kindness. But before she sat down, she turned to Yoona and stuck her tongue out and winked playfully.

“I can’t believe it,” Yoona said to herself, absolutely stunned.

Yuri, Hyoyeon and Sunny had to pay and run out of the diner, unable to be silent about their laughter anymore.

From inside the diner, all that could be heard was Sunny’s high pitched cackling and Yuri and Hyoyeon’s howling.

Taeyeon looked out the window to see the three girls rolling in the grass, clutching their stomachs and almost crying.

“I wonder if they’re okay,” Taeyeon said outloud, worried about where all the noise was coming from.

“They’re just a bunch of idiots,” Sooyoung grumbled to herself, making a memo to destroy her friends when they get home.

“I’m sorry, did you say something?” Taeyeon asked, looking at Sooyoung. She could’ve sworn she heard her speak Korean. She had thought that maybe she was Korean based on the accent and her face, but Sooyoung just waved her arms.

“N-Nothing, I said nothing,” Sooyoung replied, rubbing her neck nervously. That was close.