Chapter 5 END

Goodbye, Hello

 

 

 

“What are you going to do after all this?” Sooyoung remembered Yuri asking her when they were attending their 9th anniversary party. She hadn’t known at that time,either.She had always wanted to go to the States and study. But to study what was the main problem. Throughout the years, her English had improved a lot thanks to her personal tutors, Tiffany and Jessica, and they both encouraged her to study something other than English. 

 

“It would be a waste of time AND money.” According to Jessica, that was what studying English meant. Sooyoung laughed as Tiffany hit Jessica on the head for being so forward. But Jessica was right. So she spent the next whole month doing research on the majors her dream school had provided. And then she found it. The one that she wanted to learn the most, not only because it interested her, but also because this might just make what she had dreamt about for so long come true.

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you going to study,Sooyoung? You never told us.” Yuri asked as they started to barbecue the marshmallows with the campfire.

 

 

Sooyoung grinned, then answered,

 

 

“Media management.”

 

 

 

“Oh!”

 

“Wow.”

 

“Really?”

 

“No way.”

 

Exclaims were heard all around as they slowly realized what Sooyoung wanted to do.

 

 

“Yup. Shinhwa sunbaes can do it, why not us?” Sooyoung shrugged as if it’s no big deal, then continued eating her marshmallows.

 

 

“And you’re going to be the boss of all of us? I don’t think you’re that dependable.” Hyoyeon said, making a face as if all hell’s gonna break lose if Sooyoung were the one managing.

 

 

“You have to pay me double to get me back.” Jessica stuck out her tongue and said.

 

 

“Triple here.” Sunny raised her hand and said along.

 

 

“I’m definitely in.” Yoona’s sudden support shocked all of them, but as they all turned to stare at her, she pulled a face and continued, “I couldn’t bear to see you destroy yourself.”

 

 

And that made everyone broke into laughter.

 

 

“Haha. Very funny.” Sooyoung mocked. “I won’t be the boss of all of you. You all have to invest. I don’t have that kind of money. Besides, admit it,if you were to comeback, you’ll want to do it as a group instead of solos.” 

 

 

Taeyeon couldn’t help herself to rubbed Sooyoung’s head with affection, which made the younger girl groan with dismay.

 

 

“I’ll join if Sunny’s in charge of the finance and Tiffany’s in charge of itineraries.” She said.

 

 

“I’m in if Yuri, Seo and Taeng’s in charge of diet control and health care.” Sunny added.

 

 

“I guess I’ll continue to go with the flow. But I need my sleep.” Jessica said. “And rest. So don’t you dare finish your degree in a year. I need more like....three....or four...” Her last words were barely audible. But they still managed to make others laugh.

 

 

“I don’t really mind. I’ll be fine as long as I’m with you all.” Hyoyeon smiled and said.

 

 

“What do I get to do then?” Sooyoung said grumpily. It was her idea after all.

 

 

“Eat.” Tiffany blurted out without thinking.

 

 

“And finish your studies so you can make yourself useful when the time comes.” Sunny winked as she added.

 

This, of course, triggered another laughing fit among the girls. And when the laughter had finally died down, the sun had begun to rise. The sky gradually became white and birds all around started chipping, indicating a start of a new day, and an end of an era. The end of Girls’ Generation.

 

Seohyun was the first one with tears filling up in her eyes, and she started to sob.The others looked at her with sad eyes as they too realized that their departures was closing in.

 

“Come now, we promised to smile as we say goodbye.” Taeyeon gently wiped the tears off the maknae’s face and smiled towards her.

 

 

“Taeng, sing for us one last time.”

 

 

“There will be a next time.” Taeyeon corrected as she picked her guitar up from the ground and positioned it on to her lap. “ Just not yet. But until then......”

 

 

Smile though your heart is aching

Smile even though it’s breaking

When there are clouds in the sky you’ll get by

 

Taeyeon’s soft yet powerful voice rang about in the morning air, and soon, the rest joined in. Their voices perfectly harmonizing as the sun finally rose up and the sky was completely lit. A gentle wind breezed through, carrying their voices around them, and at that moment, as Taeyeon looked around at her sisters and the eight best friends in her life, she swore that she had never ever seen a more beautiful, picturesque, and serene scene in her life before.

 

 

If you smile through your pain and sorrow

Smile and maybe tomorrow

You’ll see the sun come shining through

For you

 

Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a tear may be ever so near

 

That’s the time

You must keep on trying

Smile what’s the use of crying

You’ll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile

 

 

That’s the time (That’s the time) you must keep on trying

Smile what’s the use of crying

You’ll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile

 

Smile though your heart is aching (is aching)

Smile even though it’s breaking (is breaking)

When there are clouds in the sky you’ll get by (you’ll get by)

 

It’s the time you must keep on trying (keep on trying)

Smile what’s the use of crying (what’s the use)

You’ll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just...(smile)

 

You’ll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile

Smile

 

 

 

 

She put down her guitar, and the nine of them stood up, holding each other’s hands and formed a line in front of the villa where they could overlook the city of Seoul and the rising sun. 

 

 

They couldn’t dare to look at each other, cause they promised never to cry when this day comes. As the old saying goes, all good things comes to an end. And this, this was the end. But also a new beginning. A beginning where they go their separate ways, knowing that no matter how far they are apart, their hearts would still be together as a whole.A beginning where the destination of their separation was another reunion.

 

 

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath and smiled as she squinted her eyes to adapt to the shining sun. The sun was like them. Getting up, and still rising, fighting it’s way through the world to shine. It was a whole new beginning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What a beautiful morning.” 

 

 

 

-END-