Chapter 4

Goodbye, Hello

 

 

After the much satisfying dinner, the girls gathered around the campfire. Some were sitting, some were laying down.

 

 

 

 

“Wow. I never thought I’d see so much stars in the skies.” Yoona whispered as she lied flat on the ground, a glass of wine in her hand.

 

 

“I know, right?” Yuri said beside her. “ How come we never noticed this?” 

 

 

 

“Because, we were too busy looking forward.” Sunny replied. “We never got the chance to stop and appreciate what we have.”

 

 

 

“Who remembers having a vacation more than 10 days in a row?” Sooyoung asked.

 

 

 

“Oh, if I remember correctly, 10’s the most we’ve had.” Taeyeon answered as she and Seohyun returned with their guitars. 

 

 

 

“Remember when we went to on a vacation together?When you said I looked absolutely fabulous when I was swimming?” Yuri asked Sooyoung, her pride obvious in her voice.

 

 

“I only said that cause we were on the show and I had to say something nice to you.” Sooyoung said back. It made all the others laughed, and Yuri pretended that she was hurt by the comment.

 

 

 

“We should’ve gone on a vacation together. I mean, the nine of us.” Tiffany said, regretting that they didn’t.

 

 

“We never would’ve had the time anyway.” Taeyeon said as she patted Tiffany’s back. “So...what do you want to do now?” She looked around and asked. It was oddly quiet, considering all nine of them were there.Normally, it should be chaos, with all the quarreling and chatting, but now, they just sat or lay there, holding each others hands, or staring at each other. 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyoyeon suddenly sat up from the ground and looked around at her friends with a mischievous grin,

 

 

 

“Let’s play a game.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“First kiss.” Tiffany glared at Yoona and asked. Everybody except one turned their gaze to Yoona, who was now gulping nervously. She lifted her glass of wine and drank it in a mouthful.

 

 

 

Hyoyeon’s idea of a game was, to ask who and what they had done with the members during the years. According to her, it would be the perfect way to reminisce what fabulous memories they had made when they were together.

 

 

Nobody noticed Jessica had also finished her glass of wine and was now refilling her glass with some more.

 

 

 

“Sica unnie.” Yoona finally said, her face red.

 

 

“What?! I thought I was your first!” Sooyoung exclaimed as she flew her hands high up above her head.

 

 

“Too late. I kissed her before she turned 20.” Jessica said smugly. 

 

 

“Sooyoung kissed her because it was her twentieth birthday. What’d you kiss her for?” Hyoyeon asked in a suspicious tone.

 

 

“We were practicing. I accidentally tripped her. I fell on top of her. I kissed her.” Jessica replied as if it was the easiest answer in the world.

 

 

“Alright. Yoona, your turn.” Tiffany shrugged as she accepted Jessica’s explanation.

 

 

 

“Hmm....most awkward moment on stage.” Yoona pointed at Yuri and asked.

 

 

 

“Whenever I make a mistake?” Yuri answered with uncertainty.

 

 

“Oh no,you’re not getting away this easy.” Sunny protested. “You make mistakes all the time!We want to know which one.”

 

 

“Yep. When and which performance.” Sooyoung added as she grinned towards the girl next to her.

 

 

“.....” Yuri glared at Sooyoung, then answered. “ When we sang Complete and I forgot the lyrics.” The answer made everyone rolled on the ground, dying of laughter.

 

 

 

“It was truly the most classic moment for Kwon Yuri.” Taeyeon managed to say as she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes. Upon seeing the reaction, Yuri raised her fist and hit Sooyoung on the arms.

 

 

 

“Yah!It hurts, Kwon Yuri!” Sooyoung yelled and returned the hit by pinching Yuri’s face. Soon, the two were fighting with each other, their bodies intertwined as they rolled over on the ground, trying to get even with one another.

 

 

“They never grow up.” Sunny shook her head and sighed as the rest of them watch the fight, not even trying to stop them. “Let’s carry on without them. Hyunnie! You’re favorite unnie and why!” She flashed an evil grin at their maknae and asked. This question caught everybody’s attention, even Yuri and Sooyoung.

 

 

 

“It must be me. I practically grew up with her.” Yoona said with confidence.

 

 

“Definitely me since I was her roommate.” Hyoyeon clearly disagreed.

 

 

“What about me? I was her roommate too.” Tiffany objected.

 

 

“It should be me, cause I live the healthiest life.” Yuri also joined in.

 

 

“What’s that got to do with affection?” Sunny said back, confused to Yuri’s reasoning.

 

 

“Should be me since I read a lot of books too.” Jessica decided to join the argument, but only managed to come up with the most ridiculous answer ever.

 

 

“Yah, Jung Sooyeon, you read magazines and fictions, Hyunnie reads self-discovery books. You know those kinds that actually make you think?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she said with a sarcastic tone.

 

 

 

“Wow!Okay, stop, unnies!” Seohyun finally stepped in after seeing the unnies quarrel. “I love all of you.Okay? I love Taeyeon unnie’s dorkiness; I love it when Sica unnie ask me if I’ve had enough sleep; I love Sunny unnie because she’ll try to cheer me up with her aegyo whenever I’m upset; I love Tiffany unnie’s tolerance; I love Hyoyeon unnie’s innocence; I love it when Yuri unnie and I discuss about organic foods and stuff; I love Sooyoung unnie whenever she comes to the rescue when I showed my poor variety skills on shows; and I love Yoona unnie because...well....we’ve known each other too long now.It’s hard not to like someone when you grew up with them.” Seohyun answered in a very organized manner, as she said out what she liked about which member.

 

 

 

“You make it so hard not to like you!” Hyoyeon was the first to break the silence as she rubbed Seohyun’s head lovingly. Seohyun smiled back and said,

 

 

 

“I’ve got something I want to give you. All of you.” She began to play the guitar which she had brought earlier, and a familiar melody started to resound in the air. 

 

 

The other eight girls also smiled as they realized the song Seohyun was about to sing was “Forever”, and they also began to sing along.

 

 

 

 

Following the happy breeze, beneath that bright sky that blinds me

Beautiful melodies and fresh air fills this road that I'm walking with you

Do you remember? Those awkward and unfamiliar times when we first met

I'm thankful to you for silently taking care of me when I was hesitant and young

 

My exhausted heart beats once again

My weak heart has found light again

I want to hold your hand and walk like this forever

Together with the person I love in a world just for the nine of us

 

Without discussing it in advance, they changed the lyrics in unity as they looked into each others eyes and laughed. And they knew, at that moment, that their bond was stronger than ever, and even though they might have to go separate ways now, they knew nothing could ever break them apart, whether it be the group’s retirement or distance. 

 

 

 

Those unforgettable memories during that long time

Throughout the laughter and the tears, the one who always believed in me was you

 

My exhausted heart beats once again

My weak heart has found light again

I want to hold your hand and walk like this forever

Together with the person I love in a world just for the nine of us

 

No one will bother us

There's not even a reason to waste any time

(Sometimes) We could be far from each other

(With the same heart) The same heart as one, dreaming the same dream

 

Even if a very long time passes (A long time passes)

Even if you and I become a bit different (A bit different)

I want to dream forever with you like this

The one who fulfilled my wishes, the one who became my faith, with you

 

Even if a very long time passes (A long time passes)

Even if you and I become a bit different (A bit different)

I want to dream forever with you like this

The one who became my miracle, the one who dreamed with me, with you

 

Even a long time passes, I want to dream forever with you

 

 

The song was finished, yet the words and melody echoed around their ears.They looked at each other, their hands intertwined. There’s no need for words right now. They could communicate simply by looking at each other’s eyes. 

 

 

It was three o’clock in the morning. But no one wanted to go to rest. Cause for them, sleeping meant an end of something. No, they wouldn’t want this day to end just yet. They have so many things to say to each other, so many thanks to give, so many memories to share. 

 

 

 

No one said they wanted to sleep. Not even Jessica. 

 

 

 

 

-TBC-