Chapter 6

My Turn to Love You

 

 
**
 
Seohyun and Sooyoung followed Nami with quick footsteps. Even though the lady seemed to be slowly prancing in just a distance, she was actually incredibly fast that the two girls had a hard time catching up with her. The three of them scurried passed the green grasses where huge dragonflies were seemed to be awaken from sleep. The glistening rays of the sun made Sooyoung think that there might not have nighttime at that dreamlike place.
 
"We're here. Come." Nami halted as she waved her hand, gesturing for Seohyun and Sooyoung to come closer to her.
 
And as both of them approached Nami, they found themselves standing before a crystal clear spring which was a mere three meters in diameter. Seohyun's eyes illuminated the glistening water as she stared back at her reflection. Seeing herself in such lively state, she suddenly felt encouraged and determined to do everything to take her life back.
 
"So, are you ready?" Nami chortled as she gained the attentions of the two girls whose minds were apparently floating in their own ponderings. Sooyoung put her arms across, giving Nami a questioning look.
 
"You haven't explained anything yet. I mean, I'm going to help Seohyun here, but at least tell us the details." She voiced out, making Nami laugh as she took note of the girl's worried face. Apparently though, she could clearly see what's running on her mind.
 
Sooyoung was doing this halfheartedly. She only pitied Seohyun because she thought that fate had been unfair when it decided to take Seohyun's life away. That's why she's helping her. And although she already assured Seohyun that everything's going to turn out fine, the truth was, she was still worried about the process on how she could help her, thinking that she had to give her life or even half of it in order for Seohyun to live. Which was unacceptable for her.
 
"Oh no dear! You won't give your life to her, silly." Nami told Sooyoung, making the latter widen her eyes. "How did y..you?- Can you read my mind?" Sooyoung asked, suddenly feeling embarrassed when she reckoned how much she thought of delicious food just a few moments ago.
 
Nami shrugged before stepping forward, closer to Seohyun and Sooyoung. She held both of their shoulders as the two suddenly flinched at how cold her skin was. But nonetheless, they had gotten used to it and just let Nami sooth them both.
 
"There's always a reason why everything happens." Nami spoke, taking her time as she looked at Seohyun's eyes, clearly seeing how afraid those were. Not to her, but to what's coming ahead.
 
Nami took her hand and reached for her wrist, her cold skin sent Seohyun shivers as she it and peered on the thing around it. "This is the reason why you're here, Seohyun-ah."
 
"What do you mean?" Seohyun muttered, wondering as she glanced at the green bracelet Tiffany had given her for a gift.
 
"It has given you a chance." Nami nodded as she placed Seohyun's hand back to the side and just carried on giving her a friendly smile. Still looking at Seohyun, Nami patted Sooyoung's shoulder before saying, "And here is your lifesaver."
 
**
 
"A.. A hundred days? That long? You mean, I'm actually going to be Seohyun for a period of three months?" Sooyoung asked repeatedly as her brows were knitting in confusion. True enough, she thought it would be of less effort slash hassle slash bother for her to help Seohyun. She had not apparently expected that it was going to be like that.
 
"Exactly." Nami simply answered as she stepped back, clasped her hands together as she observed the two girls. Sooyoung looked a lot like she was going to refuse Seohyun's request now, which made the latter had that worried look on her face.
 
"But... But that's too long. Can't it be just a few weeks? My oppa will miss me." Sooyoung said the last sentence rather in a sigh as she blinked all the threatening tears inside.
 
"Sooyoung-ah.. I know you don't really have a reason to do this because we all know how strangers we are. But I really need your help." Seohyun twitched her forehead as tension was painted on her face. She was pleading at Sooyoung because that was the only way she could think of to help herself. It was a life and death situation, and she could never afford to give up her life. Not now when she'd just thought about having a real life that she wanted.
 
"But Seohyun-ah.. I.. I'm not sure if I can do this." Sooyoung apologetically uttered as she averted her gaze off the girl. As much as she wanted to help her, she was indecisive. What would just happen to Yonghwa if ever her body was to be on coma for three months? She's his only family and true enough, the longest time when they're not together was only for a week when she's away outside the country.
 
Seohyun felt hopeless. Exhaling deeply, she felt her shoulders dropped as her body seemed to be helplessly wearing off. "I.. I understand, Sooyoung."
 
"You do?" Sooyoung heaved as she turned to face Seohyun. The latter's eyes were teary but she gritted her teeth as she supressed herself from crying. She nodded as she pursed out a bitter smile. "Still, I just want you to know something."
 
Sooyoung nodded as she urged for her to go on with what she's going to say. Although she felt bad for the girl, she knew that it would be worse for herself to help Seohyun.
 
"All my life, I didn't have the chance to really do something for myself." Seohyun started as she looked directly into Sooyoung's eyes before glancing at Nami who was just listening a few feet away from them. "I only have one best friend in my entire life. And he's the one who made me realise just recently that I should pursue on my dreams as well." Seohyun paused, looking around her as she smiled.
 
"He tells me how wonderful my photos are. That my eyes have that unique talent on seeing beauty on everything. He said it's amazing how I seem to have the thing on making everything beautiful by my pictures." Seohyun chuckled, remembering Kyuhyun's compliments which apparently boost her confidence in her photos. Even though he seemed to be the only one who seriously was a fan of hers, it was more than enough... Kyuhyun was more than enough.
 
"He's a successful guy, my best friend. And I won't deny how envious I am to him. But if there's one thing that I'm most thankful of, it's how he made me realise without even saying that I have to live my life succeeding as well. That I shouldn't just go here and there, take random pictures around Seoul and then post it online, and be happy and contented with those few comments and praises that I receive." Seohyun sighed as she took Sooyoung's hand and grasped it firmly. "I have to succeed. Not for anyone but for myself. I don't want to die as that nobody. I want to be somebody, Sooyoung-ah."
 
Sooyoung gulped as she seemed to have struck with all the things that Seohyun had said. Indeed, they were different people. When Seohyun here thought about doing something worthwhile in her life, fate suddenly took it away from her. And here was Sooyoung who didn't care enough for her future and does nothing but to travel the all around Asia. She didn't even have any plans about what she's going to take up in college. She's just a slack-off brat who's totally spoiled by her brother.
 
"Can I ask for a favor, Sooyoung-ah?" Seohyun suddenly spoke, somewhat interrupting Sooyoung's thought. Apparently, she had already accepted it.. the fact that once they went back to earth, she would face a crucial condition where death was always at the greater possibility.
 
"What is it?" Sooyoung mumbled in an almost stutter. Seohyun flashed her out a smile before wrapping her arms around Sooyoung's waist, hugging the tall girl. Sooyoung was flustered as she didn't know whether to embrace Seohyun back or not.
 
"When we get back on earth, please hug my bestfriend and tell him that I asked you to do so. I'm afraid I can never open my eyes once we get back." Seohyun sniffled as she hugged Sooyoung even more. Her tears spilled as she clasped her lips together. That was it. That was life for Seo Joohyun. And she couldn't help but to inwardly blame herself for not making her life more reasonable.
 
Sooyoung was amazed. She thought that maybe, there was indeed a reason why she's there at that place with those people. She was bound to help Seohyun and by that, she knew what to say next.
 
"You know what? I.. I think I have a change of mind." Sooyoung heaved, whispering it right at Seohyun's ears. Seohyun widened her eyes, pulling from the hug as she carried on staring at Sooyoung with her tearjerked eyes. "What did you just say?" She asked back, not even blinking.
 
Sooyoung sneered before speaking. "It's worth my hundred days to save such amazing person's life."
 
**
 
"Once you get back, the both of you won't have any memories about Dreamland and anything about the soul switch." said Nami as she walked here and there with her fingers twiddling on her chin. Sooyoung raised an eyebrow, not quite believing what she just heard. "You mean, I'm going to wake up all shocked that I'm on someone else's body?" She yelped, looking at Seohyun before glancing back at Nami who was practically nodding in response.
 
"Yes. You just have to be in her body until it fully heals which, as I accumulated, would take more or less, a hundred days." Nami spoke in a matter-of-factly as she suddenly halted on her pace and stood in front of the girls who were both looking like they still needed all information and details to fill them up.. even though they wouldn't remember it when they get back anyways.
 
"The reason why Sooyoung's soul needed to remain on your body is because your soul is too weak to support your severely wounded body, Seohyun-ah." Nami told Seohyun as she took a deep breathe and gazed at the girl with her green orbs. "And your soul also needs a healthy body to rest for a while as well."
 
"So, you're saying that I'm just going to sleep the entire hundred days in Sooyoung's body?" Seohyun asked, although she had already concluded that earlier. Nami encouraged her with a smile as she glanced at Sooyoung who was pretty much okay with all that's going to happen. After all, it was her decision to help Seohyun.
 
"Aren't we going back yet?" Sooyoung muttered, sounding rather impatient. She wanted to see her brother now, figuring that it wouldn't hurt if she visits Sooyoung, being Seohyun.
 
Nami flicked a finger, making a mist of smoke cover her hands and just as the smoke disappeared, her hand revealed to be holding a piece of paper. She folded it in a half and handed it to Sooyoung.
 
"What's this?" Sooyoung asked in wonder as Seohyun at her side peeked in curiousity as well. Nami sniggered as she urged for them to read it.
 
Sooyoung opened it and slowly read what was written in a clean, cursive penmanship.
 
Choi Sooyoung's things to remember:
 
Yep. You're not crazy. You're really not Seo Joohyun. 
 
1. It would just be for a hundred days.
2. Take care of Seo Joohyun's body.
3. IMPORTANT & URGENT!! Take the green charmed bracelet and wear it on Sooyoung's wrist.
 
"Just to guide you, Sooyoung-ah. Keep that in your pocket and you'll find that as soon as you wake up." Nami said as soon as Sooyoung finished reading the list. "Oh! And don't forget to do the third thing." Nami added, as she grabbed Seohyun's wrist and raised it up high for Sooyoung to see. "It's this bracelet."
 
"Mmkay.." Sooyoung sighed as she put the paper on her pocket and got ready herself. Seohyun was nervous at that moment as her breathings came out rather more quickly as Nami shot her a comforting stare.
 
"Everything's going to be fine, dear. Don't be afraid." soothed Nami as she tapped Seohyun's back. Seohyun immediately shook her head. "A..Aniyo! I'm not afraid." She yelped as she just turned to Sooyoung, held her hand and thanked her once again.
 
"Sooyoung-ah. I.. I want to thank you again. You have no idea how grateful I am. I literally owe my life to you." Seohyun sincerely said as she fluttered her eyes and hugged Sooyoung was again. Sooyoung smiled as she felt more than happy to finally able to help someone. "Don't mention it, Seohyun-ah."
 
Nami clapped her hands, interrupting them both as she glanced on her wrist and figured that they're taking too long for farewells. The two girls were apparently the first people who had agreed on the soul switching deal, because apparently, nobody had wanted to lend their bodies and live on else's body for a long period of time. "Kaja. If you're both ready, just jump off the spring and get back to earth."
 
Sooyoung and Seohyun bowed to Nami in ninety degrees low as they turned their backs, facing the crystal clear spring which looked nothing extraordinary. Still holding hands, they both counted down and just as they both muttered the last digit, they shut their eyes and jumped at the very same time, feeling the cold water mystically touching their skin as their sight turned black at that right instant.
 
***
 
"Why isn't she waking up yet? I thought the doctor said that noona's okay?" The boy pouted as he poked the sleeping Sooyoung's cheek, hoping that that mere touch would send her back to conciousness. Yonghwa shrugged as he scolded the boy to stay away from her sister. "Yah. Minhyuk-ah. Don't bother your noona." He uttered as he stepped in approach towards Sooyoung's hospital bed.
 
"Aish. It's so sad to see her like this. . . My dear Soo noona." Minhyuk cried as he wiped all the tears that had spilled out of his huge eyes. Yonghwa sighed as he observed the scene. He tapped Minhyuk's back as he let out some soothing words for the boy.
 
"The doctor said that she would wake up any time soon. She not hurt that badly. She just needs some rest for now." Yonghwa said as he tried hard to encourage himself with his own words, although he, himself, was also wondering why wasn't Sooyoung waking up if it's true that she's not that injured over the accident.
 
"Noona would surely get up if she smells food." Minhyuk suddenly blurted as it seemed that a bulb had abruptly lit up on his mind. "Can I bring kimchi here, hyung?" Minhyuk added as he carried on grinning at Yonghwa.
 
"No. It's too smelly." The older bluntly answered, making Minhyuk snout at the dejection. Yonghwa exhaled deeply as he ran his fingers on the boy's head. "Sooyoung-ah is just sleeping, Minhyukie. And if you don't have something to do, might as well just practice your drums."
 
The boy pouted as he just nodded his head although he sure wanted to bring kimchi the next time he visits. "Arasseo, hyung. I'm going now." He mumbled, earning a triumphant smile from Yonghwa.
 
Just when Minhyuk had just opened the door, he was taken aback when a doctor, with a few nurses following him behind were all running pass him as they all were in such haste. "What was that?" Minhyuk heard Yonghwa mutter behind as he tried to peek on where the nurses were heading to.
 
"I don't know. Maybe, someone died over there?" Minhyuk guessed as he shrugged on his shoulders. Yonghwa felt curious as he stepped out of Sooyoung's room and just as soon as he realised where the nurses had gotten in, he was shocked.
 
"Andwae." He gulped. It was Seo Joohyun's room... the person whom his sister had crashed an accident with. And considering what Minhyuk had said just a while ago, he wondered if the girl really had passed away. Apparently, he knew how severe the girl's situation was compared to Sooyoung. And because of that, the doctors were still uncertain whether she would be able to wake up or not. And from what he'd heard, she was singer Cho Kyuhyun's best friend.
 
Yonghwa walked towards Seohyun's room, leaving Minhyuk catching up with him.
 
**
 
"You're sleeping for quite a while now. Seohyun, wake up. You still have to go to France, right?" Sooyoung thought she heard the saddest voice ever. It was full of longing. It was frowning. It was as if he was restraining himself from crying, but unfortunately, couldn't hide it.
 
Sooyoung felt a soft kiss planted on her forehead. And even if she couldn't move nor open her eyes, her brain worked out too well. She reckoned being on an accident. She clearly remembered everything that had happened.. How her car crashed as soon as she pulled the steering wheel to the side. Feeling herself being alive now, she couldn't be more thankful. She wondered if the guy kissing her was her brother. That maybe, because of the accident, her sense of hearing was still a little blurry. That she must have heard Yonghwa wrongly.
 
"It's not Seohyun. It's Sooyoung." She thought, still all she could ever see was darkness because of her shut eyes. "Omo. How did oppa know that my next destination is Europe?" She inwardly gasped as she felt the warm sensation coming from the soft grasp on her hand.
 
Indeed, everywhere hurt.. Her legs, her arms, her head, her neck- it's as if she fell from a hundred floor building and incredibly managed to be alive even with broken bones.
 
"I miss you a lot." She heard the voice say, almost crying. Sooyoung couldn't take it anymore. She never wanted Yonghwa to be that sad. She thought she might've slept for a long time now... that Yonghwa had been alone for a period of days or more. That's why he misses her. That's why he wanted her to wake up.
 
Despite the pain she was feeling whenever she tried to move, she urged for her fingers in motion as she forced her eyes to flutter open.
 
"S..Seohyun-ah.." The guy mumbled, making Sooyoung inwardly scrunch her face for hearing not her name. "Oppa! It's Sooyoung." She inwardly corrected as she slowly opened her eyes this time.
 
"Seohyun-ah!"
 
Sooyoung sight was in a huge blur at first. She saw nothing but the light up on the ceiling.
 
She was now certain that she's on a hospital bed. Dextrose needles were inserted on her wrists while an oxygen mask was placed on her face. "Am I badly hurt?" She worriedly asked herself as she moved her fingers and stretched out her palms.
 
"Oh my God. Seohyun-ah." Sooyoung heard making her turn her sight to the guy on her side. It wasn't Yonghwa. Even after a few times she firmly closed and opened her eyes, he was clearly not her brother.
 
Confused, Sooyoung narrowed her eyes as she was startled as soon as she recognized who the guy was actually. "Cho Kyuhyun??" She mumbled before tracing her sight to his every feature.
 
If she was just dreaming, she wondered why wasn't it Shim Changmin on her dream? Why Cho Kyuhyun? She's never a fan of the singer. But if it was a dream, why does everywhere hurt?
 
Brushing all the useless thoughts off, she removed the oxygen mask from her face before speaking, "W..Who are you? Where's my oppa?"
 
Her voice came out differently... It wasn't hers. It didn't sound anything like her own. And yet, it made her confused even more when Kyuhyun started sobbing in front of her. He was still clutching her hand as he shot her a really depressed look.
 
"It's me, Kyuhyun. Yah. Seohyun-ah. Don't you remember?" Kyuhyun said in full hopeful voice as he thought that it was just a slight memory loss due to the accident.
 
Sooyoung looked at him blankly. Having him introduced himself as the famous singer, it just made everything weirder now. First things first, why was he calling her Seohyun all these time?
 
"Wait. I.. I'm sorry but you might have mistaken me to someone else." Sooyoung said, still not used to her voice. Pulling her hand away from Kyuhyun, she looked at him meaningfully. "I'm not Seohyun."
 
Kyuhyun knitted an eyebrow as he looked at his best friend with narrowed eyes now. It was still her. He couldn't be mistaken her with that face. There weren't much grazes on her face as well.
 
"What are you saying? It's you, Seohyun-ah. And I'm your best friend. Have you forgotten?" Kyuhyun heaved but Sooyoung shook her head and struggled to sit up. "Look. I don't know you. I'm not Seohyun. And I need to go to my brother now."
 
But even before Sooyoung could be able to get off her bed even with her legs unbearably in pain, Kyuhyun held her arms and pulled her into a hug, making it impossible for her to move. "You don't have a brother, Seohyun-ah." Kyuhyun muttered as he hugged her closer. Reaching for the red button on the side table, he pushed it with a finger and spoke when a nurse asked on the speakers. "Nurse, Seo Joohyun already woke up."
 
"I.. I told you! I'm not that person!" Sooyoung protested as she flailed the guy wildly. She wanted to see her brother and yet, she couldn't because of this guy who kept on insisting that she's someone rather than herself.
 
Moments later, the door burst open. A doctor with a few nurses came in. Sooyoung was flustered as Kyuhyun let go of her.
 
"I... I want to go home now." She sniffled as she wanted to sob so much now out of fear. It was as if she came back with a different identity. It was as if she really was that Seohyun.
 
Still her glance hovered over the ajar door, her eyes widened in shock upon seeing a glimpse of her brother. "Y..Yonghwa oppa?" She squeaked with her voice cracking a bit. It was indeed Yonghwa standing by the door and she was that of sure that at that very second, they're gazes met. Although one thing that really puzzled her was why was her brother smiling upon seeing her? Why didn't he come in and approach her? Why was he walking away now as if he was relieved to somehow see her at that state?
 
Kyuhyun worriedly observed his best friend as he took note of the panic rising on her almost teary eyes. The nurses had settled her back to bed but still, Seohyun seemed to be in such restlessness.
 
"Mr. Cho, can I talk to you for a moment?" Mr. Yang, the doctor, said as he gained Kyuhyun's attention.
 
"I don't understand. Why can't she remember me? She kept on insisting that she isn't Seohyun." Kyuhyun shrieked as he shifted his glance back to Seohyun who was now sleeping in peace right after the nurses soothed her to calmness.
 
Mr. Yang heaved out as he said, "Don't worry yourself too much. It's probably a mild memory loss because her head was badly damaged due to the accident. But I can assure you that it's going to be all fine now that she's awake." The doctor explained, making Kyuhyun kind of relieved hearing all those.
 
"To be honest, I'm really impressed with her improvements." Mr. Yang paused as he turned to his patient record. "Seo Joohyun-ssi's condition was really unstable these past few weeks. It's really surprising that she managed to wake up and even sit up and talk. You surely have taken care of her all this time."
 
Kyuhyun smiled as he breathed out heavily. "She's always been a tough girl."
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
ouw. Sorry if it took me so long to update. :((  i've been lazy these days... ><
 
okaaaii. anyway. please do comment ne!! Meh. i know it was a boring update.... and i thank u for keepin up with me. ^^ /huggggs!!/