Final

Things Go Bump In The Night [ONE-SHOT]

“Oh come on Chen!” Some of his friends shouted, and Chen was starting to get really annoyed. Looking up the big house, he shook his head again. There was no way he was going to do this just because he lost a stupid bet. This was completely insane. And not to mention dangerous! Shaking his head, he could hear the other guys around him start to boo and make disastrous imitations of a chicken.

His best friend, Kris, moved up to him and swung an arm around his shoulders, holding him close whilst he whispered.

“Chen, if you don’t do this, you’ll never get past your fear of scary things.” Kris explained, and Chen knew what his friend was trying to do, which was why as soon as this was all over, he going to de-friend him immediately. “Plus, you’ll never hear the end of it if you don’t. Think about it buddy.” Yup, definitely defriending him when the chance is given.

Chen sneaked a glance to the other group of boys who were still acting silly, and he sighed.

There really was no way out of this.

Sighing, he looked back at the big house.

Yup, you guessed it, he lost a bet and now he has to spend the night in the most terrifying and haunted house in the country. That just happened to be located in the outskirts of his town. But that wasn’t the only problem here.

Chen was the other problem.

He couldn’t stand scary things. Not even scary movies, he would refuse to watch it if someone ever put one on when he was in the room. It was simply easy to scare him or play a scary joke on him. Chen had no idea what he was thinking when he made that utterly stupid bet with a bunch of boys he wasn’t even sure he liked.

The bet was stupid, it was made when Chen was drunk, and of course he lost.

Pushing Kris away from him, he simply nodded and everyone around him started to cheer rather loudly.

One of his other friends approached him with a black backpack.

“Here.” Lay handed it over to Chen and smiled. “Food, drink, torches and a blanket.”

Well at least one of his so-called friends were still being rather nice to him. Chen nodded and gave a small and quiet thank you before he shoved it over his shoulders and wore it.

“You’ll be fine!” Xiumin shouted, running up and hugging him tightly before patting him on the head. Chen rolled his eyes. If they were truly his friends, they wouldn’t be sending him into his death. Gulping slowly, he took a deep breath before he turned to the entrance of the house.

Even the freaking door was terrifying.

Taking slow and steady steps, it took him about a minute to actually reach the door. Putting his hand on the rusty golden knob, he twisted it slowly before he opened the door, it opened whilst resounding a large creaking noise, and Chen still couldn’t believe he was actually about to do this. Taking a shaky step in, he took one last glance behind him to try and find some morale support.

But all of them were just grinning and telling him to do it already.

Yup, by the end of this – if he gets out alive – he’s defriending every single one of them.

When he was fully in, he shut the door behind him, jumping when it made a louder noise than he expected it to.

“Freaking door…” Chen whispered before he clutched onto the backpacks handles hard and walked forward.

The hallway was rather cramped, the lights that hung from the walls were very old-fashioned, and had multiple cobwebs hanging off of them. Or well, Chen hoped they were cobwebs and not just webs because if they were just webs then that meant there would be spiders and he just can’t handle that right now! Taking a deep breath, Chen continued to move forward until he reached – well he assumed – the main living room.

It was gigantic, but everything looked so dusty. The furniture – which was covered in a white sheet – looked like if Chen sat on it, they would crumble beneath him and probably leave him with a bruise. Sighing, he moved over to the rusty table in the middle and placed his backpack on there, moving the zipper so that it would open and he peeked inside.

Food, he could use that just now.

Putting his hand in, he rummaged around until he found something that resembled a tub.

Pulling it out, he realised it was sandwiches. Good old mummy Lay. Smiling, he opened it and took one out, taking a bite and closing his eyes for a minute just to relish in how good it actually tasted. As he put the food down on the table, he took a seat on the floor and began searching around.

There was only one word to describe everything.

Old.

Just as he was about to pick up the food again, he heard something very strange. Turning to the side, he saw a long case of stairs which would explain the creaking he heard. Maybe it was just about to fall from its structure. The air throughout started to get a little colder, as if there was a draft coming in.

Chen his dry lips as he slowly stood up before walking over to the creaking stairs.

“H-Hello?” he whispered, clutching onto the wooden banner as he looked up the stairs to the second floor. There was obviously no reply, and he could feel his heart speeding up. Turning away from them, he clutched his own arms as the cold draft filled the room.

In all the scary movies, as soon as a cold draft settles in, something happens after.

Or maybe, Chen was thinking too much.

Moving to the table again, he nervously glanced around the room before he heard another creaking sound. Turning around, he looked at the stairs again. But still, nothing. Closing his eyes, he began making his way up the stairs, very slowly, but the problems was that with each foot he placed on the stairs, there was no creaking at all.

He started to shiver as he reached the second floor. It was even colder up here.

Moving along the hallway, he noticed that there were many rooms here, but all the doors were shut tightly closed. Chen moved to each of them, trying to wriggle the door handles, but alas, there was no opening them.

They were all locked tight.

Just as he was about to try another door, he heard something all too suspicious from behind him that just happened to sound like one of the lockable doors being swung open. Stopping in his steps, he closed his eyes tightly and clenched his fists before turning around.

Walking forward, he turned to walk into the room that was available.

When he got in, he saw that it was a bedroom. Probably the grand bedroom in fact, but what was even worse, was that the king-sized bed in the middle looked like it had been slept on in the past couple of hours. Which meant someone had to be in the house along with him.

Moving towards the bed, he let his hand trace along the dark red duvet covers, the warmness was a little surprising. What was even more worrying, was the fact that the door that used to be open, was suddenly slammed shut, and Chen tried not to think of the fact that he just heard a locking sound. Running immediately to the door, he tried to turn the handle.

“…” he whispered, he was freaking locked in the room.

Now was probably the time to start completely panicking.

Rattling the handle, he tried his hardest to open the door, but in the state he was in, he already felt the strength leave his arms, and even if he tried kicking the door down, he’d hurt himself more than the door most probably.

Groaning loudly, he ran his hands through his hair before retracing himself back to the big bed, sitting on the edge of it before he examined the room.

There was obviously something else in the house with him.

That was the fact he couldn’t get passed.

But maybe he could just, lie here until there was some daylight coming through the window, and he could maybe call for help. Chen took a look at the watch on his right wrist, and he sighed very loudly in annoyance.

2.04 am.

He’d only been here for twenty minutes.

Falling back and lying against the bed, he closed his eyes and tried to not think about the creaking noises that were now coming from outside the door.

No, there’s no one else here.

No one is outside the door.

He wasn’t locked in the room.

He was in his own bedroom.

That’s all.

Okay, that worked until Chen heard the door being slammed open again, causing him to roll backwards and immediately hide behind the bed so that the damn door was out of his sight. Crawling underneath it rather quickly, he tried to make sure he wasn’t breathing too heavily so he wouldn’t be heard. The boy watched the floor, but he felt his body completely freeze as he saw a pair of rough black boots walking along, stopping directly in front of him.

Oh .

Closing his eyes, he put tried not to think about the total cliché endings that he had seen in the few horror movies he had actually watched when he was younger. You know the one where the attacker knows exactly where he was and was just playing with the victim before suddenly grabbing his ankles from behind in which Chen would scream – probably like a girl, but it wasn’t only his pride that was on the line here – and try to dig his nails into the floor to hang on.

Opening his eyes, he realised that the person was no longer in front of him.

Which hopefully meant he was no longer in the room.

Another cold draft entered the room, and Chen could feel his body begin to shake from the cold air and the fear that he currently drowning in. Maybe he was about to do the thing that made all the victims get caught, but he realised he couldn’t stand the twist that just maybe, the other was gone and he could get out from the bed. But then again, it might just be safer to stay under.

Possibly.

And Chen totally would have, if he didn’t feel something crawling along his hand at that very moment.

Eyes widening, he looked to his right hand and all breath left him as he stared at the big bodied and large legged thing that was seemingly staring up at him with its many eyes. Chen couldn’t stay under any longer.

Screaming as loudly as his lungs allowed him to, he rolled from under the bed and continued to wipe of his hand, jumping up and down on his feet because he couldn’t stand that a ing spider had just crawled on him.

Before he even had the chance to think about calming down, he felt someone catch him from behind, two arms were now cradling his waist and holding him down on the spot.

“Get off!” Chen shouted, kicking his feet hard off the ground as he tried to shake off the other who was locking him in hold. Just as he was about to turn around and face the intruder – who was hopefully not a ghost – he felt something being put over his nose and mouth, and although his mind told him ‘for god sake do not inhale’ he didn’t listen quick enough, and as he took a deep breath, he could feel his eyes slowly shutting, and all strength left him.

Falling to the floor, he looked up through half-lidded eyes and only noticed that the intruder had dark brown hair, and had a bright smile.

When he awoke, he felt slightly nauseous from whatever the hell he had inhaled previously. Oh please let him be in a hospital, or even better, please let him be in his own bed realising that this was just a terrifying dream.

What Chen did not want, was to finally sit up and recognised the deep satin sheets that were covering him. Because that would mean he was still in the freaking house with that terrifying murderer.

Or ghost.

Or whatever the hell it was.

Getting out of the bed – rather way too quickly – he found it exceedingly hard to even stay still on his feet, and he could feel himself start to wobble forward, no doubt aiming to face plant the disgusting, dusty floor. But as he started to fall forward, Chen felt no floor.

Someone had caught him, someone with extremely cold hands that were now clutching onto his waist and holding him from the floor.

Looking up, his eyes widened at the extremely pale and handsome face that was now way too close to his own.

“Let me go.” Chen said, trying to keep his fear inside. The other laughed, and it echoed through the room, rather creepily.

“If I do, you’ll fall Jongdae.”

Chen’s eyes widened as his real name passed those ghostly lips.

“How do you—?” he was interrupted by the other’s lips pushed up against his own. His body was locked in tight as he felt something wet push past his lips and slide into his lips. Chen moved his hands to the stranger’s shoulders and tried hard to push him away, and when he did, he fell to the floor as the other’s hold weakened and then let go.

Looking up, he saw the stranger his lips before laughing a little.

“Woah Jongdae, you do taste good.” He whispered before moving over to the door and winking before shutting it.

Chen just stayed on the floor.

Wondering what was happening. Looking at his watch again, he sighed when he realised only a couple of hours had passed. Okay, so there definitely was a creepy ert in the house with him.

But the door shouldn’t be locked right? And who cares about a stupid bet, he had to get out of here before something else happens to him.

Standing up, he ran to the door and opened it quickly, thanking the heavens that it was unlocked, and he quickly ran down the stairs and back to the table where he had left his bag.

Which was gone.

Oh crap.

Turning around, he started heading straight for the front door, screw the bag, whoever had taken it, can have it for all he cared. Just as he was about to reach the front door, someone instantly stepped out in front of him, causing Chen to crash into him hard.

“Damn!” He shouted, staggering back. Looking up, he couldn’t believe who it was standing in front of him.

“X-Xiumin!?” he shouted, seeing his friend standing in front of him pissed him off a little, and kind of made him feel better that he wasn’t actually alone in this place but all the same, he wanted to know what he was doing here. “Why are you here?” he asked.

Xiumin chuckled a little before shrugging his shoulders.

“I wanted to make sure you were okay.” He said, moving forward and placing his hands on Chen’s shoulders. “Are you okay?” he wondered, and Chen nodded slowly.

“Y-Yeah… I’m fine.” The younger boy replied.

“Are you sure? You look all shaken up.” Xiumin said, tilting his head a little. Chen nodded instantly before he whipped his head around, because he was sure he heard someone shout something.

“Did you hear that?” he asked, turning around to Xiumin who simply shook his head.

“Look, only a few hours left okay? You can do it.”

“No, I have to—no, we have to leave. Someone else is here.” Chen tried to explain, although he knew he probably sounded a little crazy. Turning around as he heard the stairs creaking again, he was sure whoever kissed him was trying to turn him mad.

When he turned back around, he was surprised to see that Xiumin wasn’t there anymore.

“Xiumin?” he shouted, turning around in a circle to try and find him.

And then there was one. Again.

Sighing, he moved to the front door and shook the knob, but it was locked. Of course it was locked.

“Where are you going?” he turned around, and noticed it was that ghostly figure from earlier who tried to get it on with him. Chen lay his back against the front door, and pointed a suspicious finger at him.

“Who are you? Tell me now.” He warned, he had had enough of this confusing crap and the creaking stairs and the freaking screaming and the spiders and the random popping up of his friends. The stranger chuckled a little before he took a few steps forward.

“My name is Sehun.” The stranger whispered, smiling slyly.

“Right. Why do you keep following me and ing creeping me out?!” he shouted, stomping his feet immaturely. “And where did Xiumin go?!” he asked, turning around and looking for him again.

“Gone. He’s gone.” Sehun explained, whilst Chen glared.

“Where did you take him?” he asked.

“I didn’t take him anywhere.” Sehun said.

“Okay… I’m gonna come right out and say it. Are you a ghost?” Chen asked, sounding ridiculous but he was completely serious. Sehun laughed at him.

“No such thing as ghosts.” Sehun said, before he suddenly turned around and walked away in the opposite direction, and before Chen could even say anything, he was gone.

Chen was starting to get infuriated. It felt like he was in a damn movie!

Trying the front door again, but remaining unlucky, he sighed and checked his watch.

Only one more hour to go, then he was getting out.

Of course, first he had to find Xiumin.

Walking through doors that he hadn’t even noticed before, he desperately started to search for his best friend, blocking out every single little noise he heard as he did, just because in the back of his mind he was worried that some little ghost had caught onto him at some point, or captured him, or worse, kissing him.

Just as he moved into another bedroom, he noticed a lone finger standing beside the window that just emanated a scary aura. Oh great, another freaking ‘ghost’.

“Hello?” he asked, deciding that he shouldn’t be scared, because he needed to find his friend. The figure at the window turned around and smiled at Chen before walking up to him. Chen had definitely never seen this guy before.

“Can I help you?”

Oh no, not like you’re in a supposedly ‘deserted’ haunted house or anything.

“I’m looking for someone.” Chen explained, trying not to get into the conversation too much.

“He’s around. Maybe, if the others haven’t found him already.” The man said, leaning against one of the bed posts.

Chen was getting too annoyed now.

“Okay, thanks for your help.”

Chen turned around and left the room quickly, before he bumped into someone again, making him land on his bottom. Glaring, he stopped when he realised it was that Sehun character again.

“Leave me alone!” he shouted before standing up and running past them, into the lobby.

Sehun chuckled as he moved to the other suspicious character.

“How long left, Suho?” he asked, and the other checked his watch.

“Half an hour.”

“Then let’s up this game huh?” Sehun smirked.

Chen sighed as he was now floating around the house, still looking for his friend but he just couldn’t seem to find him. He didn’t know where he could’ve gone, especially considering the front door was locked so there was no way for him to get out. Then again, it was also impossible for him to get in, but Chen tried not to think of that just yet. At least not until he found him.

As he passed another room, he stopped when he heard slight whispering coming from an adjacent room.

Whispering that started to get louder as time passed on.

And louder.

Until it turned into a heartfelt scream that Chen had to throw his hands over his ears to avoid.

Silence filled the house again and Chen took a deep breath. His heart was fluttering like mad and he felt nauseous again. Moving to the room where the screaming emitted from, he opened it slowly with his trembling fingers. It was dark, no light was illuminating anywhere, but Chen knew someone had to be in there. Moving in, he looked around, but because of how dark it was, it was rather impossible for him to see.

At least nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

Why, why did Chen have to think that?

The next thing he knew, the door slammed behind him shut once again, making him jump at the sudden loud noise and he quickly turned around to face it. When he did, he saw a simple shadow of a person leaning against it. Okay, he was getting more creeped out if that was necessary.

Actually, that isn’t the word, it’s terrified.

Taking a few steps back, he wanted to think that the other couldn’t see him in the dark which would allow him to just sink back and hide somewhere hopefully, until there was some sort of light and he could run away. Hopefully.

Looking at his watch, he realised he only had ten minutes left now.

Ten minutes to make it through this, then he hoped a group of saviours would run in and save him from a horrible death.

Or… whatever was going to happen to him.

Which he hoped was nothing.

Just as he crouched down behind a desk (he assumed) he could hear soft creaking coming from the floor, as if someone was walking across the floorboards. Behind him was situated a window, covered with curtains however, but then, those curtains started to move as if a wind was catching them. Chen gulped slowly as he turned to face the window, only to see that they were now moving as if a fan was constantly hitting them.

One good point was that he could see light from the sun rising just about to fill the room.

Looking at the door, he noticed the figure was no longer there, and with the sunlight as his friend, he stood up and took a deep breath, moving towards it very slowly.

Chen had to be careful.

This house was not deserted in the least. It was haunted, with freaking erted ghosts and his friend Xiumin. Who he still hadn’t found!

When his trembling hand was around the golden knob, he stopped suddenly when he could hear loud heavy breathing coming from directly beside him.

Which mean he was most definitely not alone.

Closing his eyes, he tried to ignore that the breathing sounded dreadfully close. Staying like that for a few minutes, he couldn’t help but not move, because if he did, the other was more likely to move as well, which he didn’t want. But if he stood still, so did the other ghost thing.

All of a sudden, a beeping sound filled the room.

Chen’s eyes widened as he looked down to his wrist to see his watch going off.

Time’s up.

Opening the door quickly, he turned to try and catch the stranger.

That’s when he saw Xiumin standing there with a very large grin on his face.

“X-Xiumin?” he asked, and the other smiled at him before moving forward and patting him on the shoulder. “W-What?” he asked, because he was slowly getting angrier inside. Something didn’t feel quite right.

“Well done babe.” Xiumin whispered, before he grabbed Chen forward and smashed his lips against his.

Chen’s eyes widened before he sent a knee to the other’s precious jewels.

“What the Xiumin?!” he shouted, pushing the other away and folding his arms across his chest. Just as Xiumin was about to say something, Chen felt someone touch his shoulder from behind, forcing him to scream and run behind the older boy he had just injured. When he looked up, he noticed Kris and Lay standing there with smirks placed on their lips. “…What are you guys doing here?” he asked.

Kris and Lay glanced at each other before walking in and separating, allowing some others to enter the room as well.

Chen’s eyes widened as he saw that Sehun guy and the other creepy dude enter.

Sehun moved forward and chuckled.

“My name’s Oh Sehun, nice to meet you Kim Jongdae.” He put out his hand, but by the way Chen was snarling at him, he took a safety step away. Suho moved forward this time and gave an angelic smile.

“And I’m Kim Joonmyun, and this is my house.” He explained.

“Wait… your house?” Chen asked, still slightly hiding behind Xiumin who was trying to keep his pained expression down. Suho nodded and smiled.

“Maybe your friends should explain this all.” Suho said, stepping backwards and motioning for Kris and Lay to move forward. Chen stepped away from Xiumin and glared at all three of them. He had a feeling he wasn’t going to like what he was about to be told.

Lay chuckled nervously before patting Kris on the shoulder.

“Explain Kris!” he said, grinning a little too much to try and get out of this.

Kris glared at Lay before turning to Xiumin.

“He’s your babe, you tell him.” Kris said, pushing the other forward.

Chen glared at them all, but Xiumin nodded and started on the explanation that he was sure was about to get him another kick to the balls.

“Well… long story short, this is your birthday present!”

There was silence until Chen broke it.

Excuse me?” he said, but the older nodded.

“Your birthday is next week, and we thought we’d be nice and give you a great adventure through the house! It’d also help your fear. So, we made up that rumour about this place being the most haunted house and all, and we made friends with the new owner Suho. He was actually getting the place refurnished so we used that to our advantage.”

The younger boy looked in deep concentration.

“Um, all the doors slamming, the creaking noises, the whispering, all of it was part of it. Suho and Sehun even helped!”

Chen moved forward before he turned to point accusingly at Sehun.

“And who is he?” he asked, making Sehun chuckle.

“Oh, that’s Suho’s little brother. He’s a helping hand.”

“Did he ing have to drug me then kiss me?!” Chen shouted, feeling even more furious. This time, Kris stepped in.

“Actually, the chloroform was to make time go faster. We only had enough things planned for about three hours really.”

Then Lay stepped in.

“The kiss was completely his idea. Ask him.”

With that, Chen turned to Sehun who just shrugged.

“I just wanted to have some fun.” He admitted, shrugging again. Chen took a deep breath before he watned to ask just one more question.

“And Xiumin?” he said, the other smiling way too happily.

“Yes?” he asked, and Chen moved forward, a sweet smil eplaceed on his lips.

“Why did you kiss me?” he wondered, and everyone else in the room sniggered a little.

“…It was… my way of confessing?” Xiumin said, smiling again, although very nervously.

Chen smiled before punching him hard on the face.

“Well you’ll never have me. And I hate all of you. Suho, Sehun, nice to meet you, hope I never see you again, goodbye. I’m going to go crawl under my covers and have a lot of ing nightmares about tonight because you guys are so great that you’d make my birthday – which isn’t till ing next week – so extremely terrifying.”

With that, the boy left the house, glad to find the front door was unlocked.

Xiumin sighed before picking himself up from the ground and staring at the others.

“…That went well.” He said, but everyone was just nervously glancing around the place.

Just as they were about to move, Chen appeared again, looking out of breath as he obviously ran back in.

“Who stole the backpack?” he asked.

Xiumin looked confused as he turned to the others.

“You have it.” He said, but Chen shook his head.

“No, when I went up the stairs and came back down it was gone, it had my phone in it guys.”

Everyone just stared blankly at him.

“…None of you took it?” he asked, and everyone shook his head. “Seriously?”

Again they shook their heads.

Chen’s eyes widened.

“Then who the took it?!”

Suho looked around.

“I’m sure it’ll turn up somewhere. I’ll give you it back when I find it.”

Chen nodded before leaving again. Xiumin turned to Lay and Kris.

“…What did happen to the bag?” he asked, but they just shrugged.

“No idea.”

Fin.

 


A/N: So guys, here you go! Hope it was at least a little terrifying. And of course, hope you liked it sis! Yeah, you got a little romance there, not much, but it's there! <3