Don't Be Shy

Don't Be Shy

 

 

 

He was new here; you were sure of it. He had suddenly appeared a few days ago and you wondered if he had always been here and you had only just noticed but now you were sure – he was new. He sat alone in the cafeteria poking at his greasy burger and fries with a look of utter boredom. He looked up suddenly and met your eyes which you quickly lowered. He was extremely handsome, there was no doubt about that, so you wondered why the braver girls in school weren’t cozying up to him. You got your answer soon enough when a girl sat at his table and he gave her a hard glare. She got up as soon as she had sat and scurried off to her friends. They bent their heads together and you could see their eyes and lips moving rapidly as they exchanged information and continuously glanced over at him. He got up, went straight to the garbage and tossed his untouched lunch. He caught you staring at him again and once again you quickly looked away. You finished your lunch and decided to spend your free period listening to music in the library. You liked to have those times when you could just relax and drown everything out with some loud music. When you entered the library you found your favourite chair and made yourself comfortable by tucking your legs under your thighs. You plugged in your headphones and were just about to begin blasting music when you noticed that directly ahead of you was the new boy. He was simply staring into space and you found yourself admiring his lips, his nose, his eyes…

He must have felt your eyes on him. He slowly turned his head towards you and met your eyes but this time, maybe because it had happened so slowly and you didn’t have time to react, you didn’t look away. You looked at each other until he finally got up and strode purposefully towards you. Your eyes widened and you quickly started to pack up your things to make an escape but he got to you first. You reluctantly looked up at him from your chair and found him glaring at you.

“Is there something wrong with me?” he asked in a low angry voice.

You shook your head and kept your eyes in your lap.

“No, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to stare. I’m sorry, I’ll just go.”

You got up and quickly started walking away, your heart thumping hard in your chest. When you were a safe distance from the library you finally stopped fast-walking and leaned on the lockers next to you. You felt like such an idiot. Only a few months ago you had been the new one. You knew what it felt like to be constantly stared at. He was probably sick and tired of everyone looking at him and speculating things about him. You didn’t want him to think you were like those people but you couldn’t help but look at him. It was something you had to work on – not staring at people you considered beautiful.

You remembered his face too perfectly for just a few seconds of staring and you also perfectly remembered his deep voice and slight Busan accent. This was too much. You turned towards the lockers and started to bang your head repeatedly against them. Suchanidiot, you thought with each hit.

“Are you crazy?” you heard that voice ask.

You gasped and turned to see the new boy. He was observing you with his head slightly tilted to the side.

“I’m sorry for staring at you,” you said quickly.

He shrugged.

“I’m kind of getting used to it which is why I noticed something…”

You just blinked and looked at him, taking in the fact that you were actually having a conversation.

“You weren’t staring at me like the others. I don’t think you care about whom I am or where I’m from. I think what I have here is an admirer.”

You blinked rapidly. He was right but was he serious? He smirked when he saw that you were speechless.

“So what do you like most about my face?” he asked.

This guy…

Your disbelief was clearly etched onto your face and it made him laugh. To your dismay you realized he had a beautiful smile, too.

“You don’t have to be so shy,” he cajoled. “It’s pretty obvious you like my face. I just want to know what you like most. Tell me.”

“I think I preferred you when you didn’t talk,” you said before you could stop yourself.

He laughed again and you tried to ignore the adorable way his face scrunched up.

“A lot of people say that,” he admitted, “So are you going to tell me or not?”

You decided not to make a big deal of it. If he could be so casual and flirty, you could be too.

“Your lips,” you said brazenly.

“Your eyes,” he answered.

“What?”

“I choose your eyes. They remind me of chocolate – the expensive kind.”

You found yourself snorting at his compliment and blushing at the same time.

“What do my lips remind you of?” he asked playfully.

“Um…pillows…of…um…”

He rolled his eyes and smirked again.

“Don’t hurt yourself, sweetheart. You’re not a very good flirt, are you?”

He leaned casually against the lockers and looked you up and down. You tried your best not to appear too flustered under his gaze and awkwardly waited for his gaze to return to your face.

“Do you want to get a coffee after school?” he asked.

“I don’t like coffee,” you blurted.

He sighed and moved closer to you.

“Really? Are you going to be stubborn? I’m asking you out. Do you want to go for a coffee?” he repeated.

“Well, yes but I –”

“Alright, I’ll see you after school? I’ll meet you by the gate.”

He walked off and you just stared after him. Literally less than an hour ago you had been staring at this beautiful boy and now you had a date with him? You shook your head in disbelief and started to make your way to your classroom.

Today had been and definitely would be an interesting day.


 

pic cr: http://www.johnnycupcakes.com/blog/2009/01/lecture-boston-latin-school/