Chapter 3/3

Mint and Grenadine

 

 

 

                Sehun was woken up by the vibration of his mobile phone under his pillow. He cursed himself for two reasons: not having shut it down and having left it next to his head while he was sleeping. (Phones emit bad waves.)

                But he grabbed it nevertheless and looked at the screen sleepily. New text message – Luhan, he read, and even if he was still a little mad, he couldn’t help smiling. But when he opened the message, he gasped; it was the longest one he’d ever read!

                “Sehun-ah~ I hope I’m not waking you up. (Sehun snorted.) But I had to tell you now or otherwise it would’ve been too late. Ah, maybe you wonder why I didn’t tell you sooner. (Tell what?!, Sehun wondered.) In fact, whether I would tell you or not depended on what would have happened last night, hahaha ^^’”  (Sehun flushed.)

                 “Well, today I’m playing at a concert with my orchestra~Do you want to come? We’re even playing film themes :D It’s at the auditorium (you know, near the museum) at 7 pm. Please come, I would be very happy if you did! >_< (And I’m not usually asking anyone to come, so you should be proud I asked you, Sehun-ah! Hahaha. I can’t see you before the concert because we have a rehearsal. I hope I’ll see you after, have a good day Sehun-ah!

                Sehun smiled a little more at each sentence he read. When he finished reading the message, he laughed. Of course he would go. He was already wondering which instrument Luhan played.

                To go to the concert, Sehun chose to wear the shirt with blue and brown stripes he’d tried on first at New Yorker, with white pants Luhan had liked so much he’d almost bought a pair for himself too.

                He arrived at the auditorium a little early to be sure he would find a good seat. (And he had been right to do so, because a lot of people were already there.) He sat in the middle of the huge concert hall, so that he would be able to see Luhan no matter which instrument he played and where he would be sitting.

                And then the lights dimmed while they brightened above the scene. Sehun watched carefully. One by one, starting with a girl wearing a black suit and her hair in a loose bun, the musicians entrered the scene. The girl held her violin and her bow in her right hand. Behind her entered the other violinists, then the other string instrumentalists. Violas, cellos, double basses.

                  And then Sehun saw Luhan. He opened his mouth and his eyes wide in amazement. The blonde-haired boy was wearing a simple white shirt with rolled up sleeves and black pants, but he was amazingly handsome. Sehun couldn’t help grinning. In his delicate hands, Luhan held a shiny flute.

                After Luhan came all the other flautists, then the clarinettists, the oboist, the bassoonists, and behind them the French horn, saxophone, trumpet and trombone players, then the two percussionists and the pianist and the harpist.

                The musicians sat down and silence fell for a minute and then the conductor came in. Everybody stood up very straight, holding their instruments. The conductor walked to the first violin and shook her hand. Then he went to his stand while the instrumentalists sat down again.

                The auditorium was completely silent. The conductor took his baton, raised it, and then the music played. Sehun almost wanted to close his eyes. He didn’t often listen to this type of music, but it was really beautiful. He recognised the theme of Star Wars (Across the Stars, he read on the programme.)

                When the first piece ended, the audience clapped warmly. The conductor said a few words (that Sehun didn’t really listen) before turning towards the musicians again. As he saw Luhan glance at the spectators, Sehun told himself he would have like to yell ‘Luhan!’ just so that the boy would know he was there.

                The second piece began. Oboe, violins… After them, the other instruments started to play one by one. Sehun looked at the programme. In the Steppes of Central Asia. That was really… He had no words to describe it. The first violin was truly amazing.

                But he couldn’t take his eyes off Luhan. The way the blonde boy was staring at his music sheets but looking up almost every second to look at the conductor was really fascinating. Sehun couldn’t hear his flute over the others, but he knew it was good this way, because an orchestra isn’t a lot of people. It’s a whole.

                The orchestra played two other music themes (a Harry Potter medley, Lawrence of Arabia and The Lord of the Rings, which Sehun really loved). After that, the conductor smiled at the audience and spoke once again.

                “Thank you again for being here. Now please greet our four singers – they are already here, but… Kyungsoo, Jongdae, Baekhyun, Luhan, please stand up!”

                Sehun clapped, amazed, as Luhan put his flute on his stand and walked to the front of the scene as well as three other boys: a clarinettist, a cellist and the pianist. The blonde-haired boy’s cheeks were a bit pink and Sehun could feel he was a little stressed. He wished he could wave at him.

                And then they began to sing; they had microphones so that they could be heard over the orchestra. Sehun couldn’t stop gazing at the four boys; they were wonderful, they were amazing, magic! Sehun wasn’t a musician but he could feel their voices were perfectly in harmony.

                The four of them sang two pieces together (Sehun had looked forward to hearing the Princess Mononoke theme, and it was great) before singing one by one. When the conductor said the boys’ names as they sang alone, Sehun was at last able to know who was who. Kyungsoo was the clarinet player, Baekhyun the pianist and Jongdae the cellist.

                Sehun liked Baekhyun’s voice, he really did, and Kyungsoo’s and Jongdae’s were beautiful too. But his favourite was of course Luhan’s. The three other boys had strong and powerful voices; Luhan’s was soft and gentle.

                Sehun clapped so much that when the concert ended, he had the feeling his hands were on fire. And there was even an encore! But when the musicians left the scene at last, he looked carefully at Luhan, trying to see where the boy was going to go and meet him.

                He left the auditorium and made his way through the crowd, towards the dressing rooms. He found Luhan a few minutes later, chatting with a contrabassist boy. He walked to him and rested his hand on his shoulder. Luhan turned towards him; Sehun smiled quietly and didn’t say anything.

                “You came…” Luhan said very low, with a bright beam. Sehun smiled and nodded quietly before hugging him all of a sudden. Luhan burst out laughing but started crying halfway, which produced a weird mixture of laughter and sobs.

                Sehun chuckled and patted his back. “It was wonderful,” he said. Luhan tightened his arms around him.

                “Thank you,” he said. He spotted Jongdae, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. “Oh, Sehun, let me introduce you Jongdae, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. And this is Minseok. (He smiled at the contrabass player.) Oh, Chanyeol!” he called, waving at a boy Sehun recognised as one of the percussionists.

                “Hi,” Sehun said, smiling at the musicians. “I’m glad I came, it was really great.”

                “Thank you,” Chanyeol replied with a wide grin. “And you are?...”

                “Sehun,” Luhan said. “He’s my boyfriend!” he added with a radiant beam. Sehun flushed a bit but smiled back at the four boys.

                “You up for eating in town?” Baekhyun asked enthusiastically.

                “Of course,” Kyungsoo replied. “But I wonder where Kai is – I mean, he was there a few minutes ago…” he added, looking around.

                “He’s over there,” Jongdae said. “Jongin!”

                A tanned boy holding drumsticks walked towards them with a big smile on his lips. “Ah, you’re here, I was wondering where you had all gone…” he said.

                “We were wondering where you were…” Kyungsoo grumbled. Jongin shrugged and grinned.

                “Oh, Luhan, is that your boyfriend?” he asked. “Sehun, isn’t it?”

                Sehun nodded.

                “Luhan talked a lot about you to me!” Jongin said. “I’m Kim Jongin, in case you were wondering.”

                Okay, Sehun thought, he’s close to Luhan… But the blonde-haired boy winked at him and he smiled, reassured. Now that the eight of them were together, they said goodbye to the conductor, thanked several people and put their instruments in a locked room before leaving.

                It was already quite late and Sehun was now really hungry. Like, really hungry. And he thought he heard himself speak when Jongin moaned, “If I don’t eat in the next ten minutes, I will die…”

                 “Oh, let’s go to that restaurant near the park, please!” Baekhyun said. “It’s so awesome…”

                 “Fine, but is it expensive? Because I didn’t bring a lot of money with me…” Kyungsoo said hesitantly.

                “Oh, come on,” Jongin replied. “No, it’s not expensive, and anyway you knew I was going to pay for you,” he added with a smirk. Kyungsoo smacked his shoulder and said nothing but had a little smile.

                Even if he’d been a little jealous of Jongin in the first place, Sehun found out he was a very cheerful and friendly person. A kind of contest started implicitly: who would eat the most between both of them?

                Jongin won, but only because Luhan stole a bit of Sehun’s food, thus the younger boy wasn’t able to eat anymore. (In fact Luhan was secretly afraid Sehun might be sick or even get fat.) The dark-haired boy pouted but soon started to laugh when Jongin collapsed on his chair with a heavy thud after raising his fist in the air victoriously.

                Although he didn’t talk much with Baekhyun and Chanyeol – who kept holding hands, whispering to each other and giggling like schoolgirls during most of the dinner –, he found them very sympathetic, as well as Jongdae and Minseok. Jongdae had a caustic sense of humour, which Sehun liked a lot.

                They left the restaurant really late, and as Luhan had whispered to Sehun during the dinner that ‘he would see, Kai would walk Kyungsoo back home,  Chanyeol would walk Baekhyun back home and Jongdae would walk Minseok back home’… well, they did do it.

                Though Sehun really didn’t want to know what ‘they would do during the night’.

                All the boys said goodbye to one another and they parted, not before Jongin yelled to Chanyeol “Have a good night!” with a very suggestive smirk. Baekhyun’s cheeks became scarlet…as well as Sehun’s (and Luhan loved that).

                “I’ll walk you back home,” Luhan said to the younger boy once the others had left, knowing it would annoy Sehun. Said boy pouted.

                “No. I’ll walk you home,” he replied. Luhan burst out laughing.

                “Okay,” he said, clinging to Sehun’s arm. “I’m very happy you came,” he added several minutes later. Sehun smiled.

                “It was great. The orchestra is awesome,” he said. “And your friends are cool too.”

                Luhan giggled. “I’m glad you liked them. I know Jongin and Jongdae are a bit special…”

                “No, they’re nice,” Sehun said.

                They walked silently in the streets. It was way past midnight and there was almost nobody there. Sehun was starting to feel light and warm. When they arrived in front of Luhan’s building, said boy offered him to come in for a minute. Sehun accepted and they climbed the stairs together.

                Luhan said to himself that he really did love Sehun. Like, really, really.

                “I love you,” he said even before he opened the door of his apartment. Sehun didn’t answer but hugged him tight. Luhan smiled and managed to open the door even if his eyes felt heavy.

                “I have the feeling it’s shrinking even more every time I come here,” Sehun said with a little chuckle. Luhan playfully smacked him.

                “Hey, don’t talk about my apartment like this! I love it,” he said. Sehun snorted and wrapped his arms around the blonde boy’s waist. He lifted him up and carried him to his bed. “What are you doing?” Luhan asked with a giggle.

                “Well, putting you to bed,” Sehun answered simply.

                “Let me remind you I’m much older than you, Oh Sehun…” Luhan retorted, though his voice sounded sleepy and not very reproachful. But when he put Luhan down on the bed, Sehun blinked.

                “You wouldn’t sleep in your clothes, Luhan…” he said mischievously, and the elder boy laughed, his eyes already closed. “Here…”

                A minute went by… And Luhan was wearing pyjamas. (Let’s say Sehun had closed his eyes, as the blonde boy had asked him to.) Luhan tried to drag him onto the bed, but Sehun laughed and stayed sitting next to it. But when he tried aegyo… Well, Sehun couldn’t resist anymore.

                However, the size of the bed was proportional to Luhan’s apartment, that is to say really tiny. But they still managed to cuddle comfortably. The elder boy insisted Sehun took his shirt off, ‘because the buttons and the collar were tickling him’.

                “I’m going to bed late every night because of you now,” Sehun complained playfully.

                “Shh, I’m trying to sleep,” Luhan retorted. He smiled against Sehun’s chest and slowly drifted into sleep, quickly followed by the younger boy.

                It was really one of the most beautiful nights they’d ever spent together.

 

 


 

 

A/N: Here's the third chapter. Next part will be the epilogue :)

I'm a little depressed today but re-reading this chapter before posting it cheered me up a little. I hope you liked it too ♥

Thanks again for reading! Please comment and/or subscribe ^^