Chapter 1/3

Mint and Grenadine

 

 

 

                It all started because of Luhan’s great liking for jokes and pranks. Luhan liked making fun of people. And Sehun was a little naïve.

                For the hundredth time, Sehun looked up from the boring book he was reading. (Mentally slapping, punching, kicking, shooting and strangling his equally boring teacher.) He took a sip of his grenadine cordial and gazed at the pedestrians passing by in front of the café.

                None of them caught his attention, except a little boy with big white glasses and blonde hair, who was all smiles – and carrying at least ten books in his small hands. Books, Sehun thought. Books. He kept staring at the boy with a slight smile, until the latter felt eyes on him and turned around.

                The boy blinked a few times, looking at Sehun, though he kept walking, so much so that he bumped into a streetlamp violently. Sehun though he heard something sound hollow and loud, like a bell. Bang.

                He stood up and after quickly putting his own book on his round table, then he rushed to the blonde-haired boy, who had fallen to the ground as well as his numerous volumes; he was blinking repeatedly, looking dazed.

                “Are you alright?” Sehun asked softly, kneeling down next to him. The boy turned towards him and smiled a little.

                Cute, Luhan thought when he faced the dark-haired boy next to him, who was looking concerned and worried. He nodded and giggled, rubbing his forehead. In fact, he hadn’t heard and thus didn’t really know what Sehun had said, but he smiled.

                And then an idea popped up in his mind.  “Nice to meet you, my name is Luhan,” he said in Chinese, purposefully speaking really fast. Sehun frowned and froze. Luhan laughed inwardly. The boy didn’t speak Chinese. Good.

                But Sehun swallowed with difficulty. He did not know a single word in Chinese. “Er...” he said, attempting to remember a little English to speak to the blonde boy. “You – Chinese?”

                Luhan smirked inwardly. So that boy was trying to use another language... Luhan faked a sorry expression and shook his head. “I – Chinese... Not a lot English,” he said with the worst accent he could talk with, miming the universal sign of ‘a little’ with his fingers.

                Sehun bit his lip. They stayed silent for a minute before they realised they were still sitting on the pavement. Sehun picked the books up, earning a bright beam from Luhan, and helped the blonde boy get up.

                He smiled clumsily and cleared his throat. Pointing at himself and feeling a little stupid, he said, “I. Sehun.”

                Luhan squealed mentally at his cuteness. He nodded eagerly and pointed at Sehun too. “Sehun,” he repeated, faking a bad Chinese accent, then pointed at himself. “Luhan,” he said.

                Sehun repeated mechanically, “Luhan.”

                Luhan smiled. He liked the way Sehun pronounced his name. Sehun nodded towards the café. “Er...drink?” he offered. Luhan pretended to narrow his eyes and have trouble understanding what the dark-haired boy had just said, but then his face brightened and he nodded.

                 “Thank you,” he said in fake shameful Korean. They sat down at Sehun’s table, and Luhan pointed the the glass filled with light red grenadine. “The green one, what is it?” he asked clumsily. Sehun frowned, at a loss. Then he got it.

                 “Oh – the... this is grenadine cordial. The green one, mint cordial.”

                Luhan nodded once again and repeated the Korean words proudly. Then he said, “Mint, mint, mint.”

                Sehun laughed and ordered a glass of mint cordial for him.

                 “Thank you,” Luhan said happily.

                Convinced Luhan couldn’t speak Korean, Sehun tried English once again. “Exchange student?” he asked hesitantly. Luhan beamed, pretending to have recognised the words – written on official papers, easy to remember...

                 “China,” he said. Sehun smiled back in understanding. He looked at the books Luhan had been carrying. He knew none of them. Though they seemed to be complicated.

                 “Year?” he asked to Luhan. Said boy chuckled softly. Sehun was using short and basic words just to be sure they could understand each other. But of course, he didn’t know Luhan spoke fluent Korean and English on top of Mandarin.

                The blonde-haired boy raised four fingers. “But – I – not very good,” he said with a short laugh and a blush, that Sehun found adorable. Not very good, you don’t surprise me, he thought nevertheless. You don’t speak Korean at all.

                Though he grinned. “I’m a first year student,” he said, slightly surprised to find out he was much younger than Luhan.

                An awkward silence settled between the two of them, although Luhan kept drinking his bright green cordial, sometimes looking up at the sky through his huge white glasses. Sehun guessed they were fake and laughed inwardly.

                He gazed at him for a few minutes. A vivid blue shirt coupled with a white jacket slightly looking like a suit, a light pair of jeans and multicoloured Converse... (Apparently, Sehun had a thing for cute boys wearing oversized white glasses and Converse.) Luhan was a little eccentric.

                But he was aware of Sehun’s eyes on him, and had to focus to avoid giggling like a schoolgirl. A minute later, still watched by the younger boy, he grabbed his mobile phone and handed it out to Sehun.

                 “You – number,” he said expectantly. Sehun clumsily took the phone and gave Luhan his own. He typed his number and named the contact “Sehun (the guy you met in front of the café)”. Then he looked up at Luhan, who was still struggling with his phone.

                Luhan shamelessly named his own number “Luhan ” and added a cute ringtone to it as well as a picture of himself he had taken while Sehun was typing. Once he was done, he gave Sehun his phone back with a smile. The dark-haired boy imitated him and they both stood up.

                 “Er – goodbye,” Sehun said hesitantly. Luhan beamed.

                 “Thank you again. See you soon,” he replied in awful English. After hesitating for (barely) half a second, he pecked Sehun’s cheek and walked away gleefully, almost skipping along while carrying all his complicated books.

                Sehun stood there dumbfounded and watched Luhan until he couldn’t see him anymore. “Wow,” he whispered. He looked at his phone. Luhan , he read, and he smiled. Of course, he didn’t remove the little heart. He almost wished he had written something more audacious on Luhan’s mobile phone.

                He nodded to himself and laughed. The next time he would see Luhan, he would write Sehun on his phone.

 

 

~

 

 

                Luhan called Sehun the very next day. He had thought a little to try to find a reason he might use to justify himself, but found none, so he just decided he wouldn’t exactly say why he’d called and make up something.

                Sehun heard a weird ringtone (wait, was that… Gee?) and grabbed his mobile phone. He saw a picture of a blonde-haired boy with enormous white glasses staring at him with wide eyes, falsely surprised and pouting cutely. Luhan , he read.

                Amused, he answered. “Hello?” he said, trying to make his voice sound relaxed but not sleepy – well, to make it sound cool.

                 “Sehun?” he heard.

                Luhan focused to make up something random. He thought for a few seconsd then his face brightened. “There is a good film at the cinema and my teacher said we should go and see it with a friend because the language is good,” he said.

                Sehun raised his eyebrows. Now Luhan managed to say long sentences? It wasn’t perfect, but… “I – practised – that,” he heard on the other end of the line, as well as an embarrassed laugh. He breathed in and tried not to chuckle too loud. No, Luhan had not become bilingual during the night…

                Though Sehun realised the boy was speaking to him as if they’d known each other forever and were close friends. But it was pleasant. “Okay,” he said. “When?”

                 “Seven, tonight,” Luhan answered simply. Sehun nodded without thinking, albeit aware Luhan couldn’t see him.

                 “Meet a little before, at the cinema?” he asked, and Luhan nodded too.

                 “Yes.”

                 “Okay, then…er, see you.”

                 “Kiss, Sehun,” Luhan said before hanging up. He laughed mischievously. He could picture Sehun’s crimson face right then. Cute.

                As he put his phone back in his pocket, Sehun thought about the ringtone and the caller image. So that was why Luhan had taken so much time typing his number. He laughed. That was adorable. Really. But Sehun’s cheeks were awfully red right then.

                They met about at quarter to seven in front of the cinema. Luhan waved at Sehun with a radiant beam. Sehun smiled and walked to him. He chuckled. The blonde-haired boy was wearing a white shirt (apparently, he liked to match items of clothing with his glasses), something like…were these Capri pants? And the same colourful Converse as the previous day.

                It contrasted a lot with Sehun’s clothes, that were simple and mainly with soft and discreet colours. (He liked brown and grey and black, okay? Oh well, he did like white too… But wearing white is hazardous when you eat a lot and tend to do it the hardcore way.)

                 “Hello~” Luhan said joyfully, kissing Sehun’s cheek again as if they were in love. Sehun was starting to wonder, though. The butterflies in his stomach rather felt like butterflies that had taken caffeine or even smoething stronger. But he grinned.

                 “Hi. Let’s go?”

                Luhan nodded and they walked in the cinema. Luhan bought a bottle of mint cordial, and Sehun bought a grenadine one, just to do like the previous day. They sat down in the middle of the theatre and the movie began a few minutes later. Sehun realised he did not even know what it was about.

                But as he watched for a couple of minutes, it became clear that it wasn’t the type of movie that a teacher would have recommended. Though he said nothing and smiled. Luhan asked him to explain a lot of things the characters said, and Sehun had to use English, Korean and gestures to make him understand.

                Luhan laughed very much. He could have watched the movie in Korean, with no subtitles, eyes closed, and understood everything; but pretending not to get what was said was funny.

                Sehun liked the film, he really did, but he liked talking to Luhan more. And watching him, as if the film was next to him and not on the big screen in front of them. Besides, he noticed some parts of Luhan’s shirt were glowing in the dark. It somehow formed a happy smiley. Sehun nearly burst out laughing but restrained himself.

                 “It was – great!” Luhan said when they went out, grabbing Sehun’s hand. The younger boy had the feeling his arm had been plunged in a fire – hot, hot, hot, it felt hot suddenly! He nodded jerkily.

                 “Y – yes!” he said. “Do you want to eat dinner in town?” he asked. Luhan was about to reply something like ‘Yeah, sure!’ but suddenly he remembered he wasn’t supposed to speak fluent Korean. He frowned, pretending not to have understood. Sehun slapped himself mentally. For a second, he had forgotten Luhan understood nothing.

                 “Eat?” he said, waving his arm and embracing all the city. Luhan smiled and touched his own stomach.

                 “Yes!” he said.

                They went into the best restaurant Sehun knew (and Luhan liked the green walls very much). The blonde-haired boy’s shirt had stopped glowing as they were in the light, and the smiley seemed to have disappeared, leaving the item of clothing white.

                He caught Sehun staring at it and said happily in English, “Smile even in the dark.”

                Despite his fake horrible accent, Sehun understood. He smiled. “Dark, your shirt smiles. Light, you smile,” he said. Luhan beamed and nodded proudly.

                Although it made no sense, Luhan didn’t stop talking, mixing Chinese, English, Korean and Martian words casually. He sometimes felt like he was overacting, but Sehun didn’t notice anything and listened to him religiously.

                They parted quite late, and Luhan managed to get walked back home by Sehun. Just before saying goodnight, he placed another little kiss on the dark-haired boy’s cheek. Sehun’s face turned a violent shade of red. He wondered whether it was a Chinese custom to do that. Well, he did like it, but…it was a little embarrassing.

                Maybe someday it will be on my mouth!, he thought almost hopefully, and shot himself mentally. Why was he wishing to kiss a boy he’d known for less than a day? His life wasn’t a drama! Though he grinned.

                “Good – goodnight,” he whispered. Luhan smiled back.

                “Kiss, Sehun!” he said brightly before opening the door of his tiny apartment. Sehun blushed once again.

                “Kiss…” he said very low, frozen, gazing at Luhan as said boy stepped in his apartment and smiled at him one last time. He waved him goodbye. And stayed in front of the door for at least five minutes.

                In his bedroom-living-room-kitchen-dining-room, Luhan giggled happily, dancing a few steps. Shamefully, he said to himself that soon, he would have an adorable, shy, cute and gentle boyfriend. That was so wonderful!

                That night, Sehun dreamt about white glasses, glowing smileys, multicoloured Converse and blonde hair.

                And kisses.

 

 


 

 

A/N : Please comment or subscribe! I'm so happy when you do~♫