Step 3: Step 1

One Last Trick

 

A few days had passed since my promise with Mir. When we both had arrived back at the magician’s hangout ( I still never learned the name of the building.), Thunder had enveloped me in a huge, bone-crushing hug. I awkwardly, and not to mention painfully, attempted to hug back. G.O had originally questioned me but Mir had shut him up quickly with his own story. I don’t remember if it was full of facts or gibberish but G.O had given up on questioning me and that was all that mattered.

The three of them had then dragged me back to the car, quickly trying to explain my new way of living; I was going to be living in the house with all three of them. Before I could ask they explained that the house would definitely fit all of us without a problem ( And damn, they were right.). They explained that once I was comfortable I would be going to school with Mir. Thunder didn’t go to school even though he was clearly younger. I didn’t ask why though. It wasn’t my place to ask. After, they went in depth of how it’ll be for the next few days, which was pretty much on par. Thunder was going to be, well suppose to be, in his room organizing photos with small articles ready to be sent to the magazine. On many occasions I found him goofing off looking at stuff on the computer and talking to some stuffed animals in his room. G.O warned me about his absence. He would be working diligently from five-noon at his office typing up articles, then would come straight home to work from one-midnight, where he would work on the papers for my stay with them. He apologized, and told me as soon as he was done he would take me out shopping for new clothes and accessories.

Mir on the other hand was excited to announce he would be able to help me with anything seeing how he will be the most available. His schedule was to go to school at eight until three and then  would go to his club, from 3:30 to five which was on Wednesdays. Besides that one day he was available to come right after school and help me settle in. I hadn’t understood what ‘settle’ in met but I did quickly.

Apparently settling in means to smother me with gifts and try to pry every little thing about me out. I told them nothing.

After the few days filled with the stated, I found myself waking up in a cold sweat. My fingers had grasped an old white t-shirt of Mir’s (G.O has yet to actually make contact with us since we arrived.) pulling on the spot above my heart which beated erratically. Suddenly my stomach started to churn and the room’s temperature started to decrease. My other hands curled into the sheets as if it was a life source. My breathing quickened. I glanced at the door, praying one of the others in the house could sense it, or hear my breathing which seemed to be able to challenge that of the sound of a firetruck-siren.

My left arm started a burning session and I cried out, tears falling down my eyes. I my lips, suddenly feeling everything go dry.

“M-MIR!” I cried out, itching away at the burning, cuddling from the coldness, crying from the stomach pains. “ MI-MIR! G.O~!”

Suddenly my door slammed open. I flashed my eyes over to see Mir, dressed in a long t-shirt and boxers ( I learned this was his normal sleeping garments.). Mir’s eyes widened. He seemed to practically teleport to my side.

“ J-Joon what’s wrong?”

 

I myself, didn’t know but my mouth did. “ P-pills.”

 

Mir tilted his head confused, gently grabbing the itching hand down to my lap. I felt my body craving for the lost sustenance. I knew when I had said it, it was true. I wanted the happy pills. I needed the happy pills.

“ Mir... Happy, pills.”

“ What the heck are happy pills?” Mir mumbled staring into my eyes as if they would give the answer.

I shook my head, suddenly feeling my stomach churn once more before falling back. I then found myself enveloped by a world of blackness.

The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a blinding light, and obnoxiously concerned voices. I groaned. The voices stopped, and I couldn’t help but smile. All the pain from before was still there but limited. I breathed in deeply, loving the feeling of free oxygen, and a softened heart beat.

“ J-joon?” I heard someone speak. I groaned once more before peeling my eyelids open.

“ W-what?” I asked, trying to get used to the light. I saw three forms, all of them familiar.

“It’s Mir, um.... are you okay?”

 

“ Better.” I mumbled out, my eyesight finally becoming one with it’s surroundings. G.O was standing at the foot of my bed, Mir was on my left, and Thunder was sitting on the edge of my bed on my right. They all let out a deep sigh.

“ Mir told me what happened last night.” Thunder started. “ You’re having withdrawal... at least I hope so. I’ve never seen a drug do something so destructive to it’s users body.”

 

“We should have kept some of those ‘Happy pills’, that’s what you call them right?” G.O asked. I nodded. “ and then ran some tests on them. “ He then continued.  

 

“ G.O  put some sedatives, and injected a few other medicines to help the symptoms subside.” Thunder explained. Once more, I nodded.

 

Five minutes had passed. Five minutes of utter silence, where everyone’s gazes had anxiously looked from one to another. As far as I could tell Mir and I held the longest gaze, maybe because for only us two I had counted the milliseconds. Mir’s eyes had fallen too my arm which was being scratched with haste. I followed his gaze and tried to pull my hand away only to feel the itch cause the burning to increase. I flinched and continued my actions. When the time had come to an end, Thunder, having no ability to be sly in any situation, tiptoed backwards out of the bedroom. G.O’s pocket had buzzed and he apologized before taking his leave. I made contact with Mir’s eyes once more before changing my gaze. The quick movement caused my stomach to twist once more. I leaned over, groaning.

 

“ Look up.” I heard Mir mumble. I shook my head, wrapping the itching arm around my stomach as my other tended to the pain.

 

“ Please.” I felt a hand on my shoulder. Flinching backwards, my head snapped upwards. Mir was less than a foot away. His eyes wavered between his hand and my traumatized expression. His hand didn’t leave my shoulder. “ Remember a few days ago, at the street after my show?”

 

I did remember it, but I shook my head. I wasn’t in the mood to reminisce. The younger sighed and set on the corner of my bed. “ Then I’ll remind y-” I shook my head once more. The room had suddenly become unpleasant and Mir’s solemn expression left no room to change that.

 

“ Listen Joon. Remember you have to trust me, we made a promise.” Mir explained. His eyes had paralyzed me into place as he spoke. “ We promised on a rose. Now, listen to me so I can help you. If you break the promise you can’t leave.”

 

I raised an eyebrow and with a hoarse voice I replied, “ G.O will let me leave.”

 

“Why are you being difficult?” Mir groaned. “And I can make him change his mind. I have a few tricks up my sleeve.” Mir smiled a bit, probably proud of himself for his last statement. I rolled my eyes feeling the pain increase.

 

The sedatives are wearing off.

 

“ You wouldn’t.” I hissed, shaking his hand off my shoulder. Mir raised an eyebrow.

 

“ You weren’t like this before.”

 

I nodded and looked away. I was in pain. I was weakened. Suddenly G.O walked in, calling Mir away for a quick moment. I glanced down at my sheets, as I trembled. Why can’t I just trust them. ing pills. Where are my pills? I want them- no, I need them. Why don’t they understand? Just give them to me. I felt tears slide down my face, but the minute I reached up to dry them, I felt my stomach churn again. I cringed, settling to let them dry themselves.

 

Suddenly I heard murmuring. I turned my head to the doorway to see it was slightly cracked open. I closed my eyes to hear better. It was G.O and Mir.

 

“ So, anyways, how’s it going with Joon?” It was G.O. His voice was always soothing.

 

I heard a scoff, and there was suddenly more pain, but in my chest. I rubbed it slightly. “ I don’t know. I mean I know I haven’t seen him long but he’s suddenly started to act like a jerk-”

 

A few tears stained my face.

 

“ I’m trying to help because he was such a hottie before! I mean look at those abs! But seriously is all he is a pretty face?”

 

A few more.

 

‘ M-mir.” I heard G.O interject. My hands curled into fists. “ You have to understand. We hardly received any trust from him a-”

 

“ I made him promise to trust us! I made a deal!” Mir exclaimed. I jumped slightly.

 

“Mir, stop being childish.” G.O ordered. I heard a slight gasp. “ Promises don’t always work,  you should know that best. He’s at the moment still in an unfamiliar place! And he’s suddenly dealing with withdrawal from some pills we could never find here! Well, at least without getting arrested - no you are not going to ruin your future Mir! No matter what. - And when we first got him when he was in pain I’m guessing he found himself threatened. Which I don’t blame him. He’s probably feeling the same and putting up another wall, which I guess is filled with anger since he’s in pain. People don’t like to be talked to when they are in pain I guess. Immediate action helps or something they can distract themselves without having to do much work. He isn’t mean, you know that. You saw him at the show, you’ve lived with him for a few days. Don’t get riled up so easily. I thought you were over that.”

 

I heard some scuffing of shoes before I heard Mir’s reply, “ Does this mean I have to apologize.”

 

I giggled, but the pain only increased.

 

No, it means you can go ride an elephant, yes it means go apologize, and try to support him. You have to be patient, like I was with you.” G.O commanded.

 

“WOOT! GO BOSS!” I heard Thunder exclaim. Another pain-filled chuckle escaped my lips.

 

The door then gently opened. My eyes followed Mir’s form as he walked in, shutting the door with his foot. “ H-Hi.” He said shyly. “ S-sorry about before.”

 

He doesn’t normally apologize does he?

 

I opened my mouth to reply, but my stomach churned, and I flung from my bed, trying to get into a new position. My body though had apparently become numb from who-knows-what. I stumbled, trying to catch my self. Luckily I felt two hands on my shoulders pushing me back so I was sitting on the edge of my bed. I let out a little cry of pain as everything started to increase in pain. My fingers twitched, not knowing what to aid first.

 

“ J-Joon. I need you to look at me. I swear I won’t do anything. But, please.” Mir pleaded. Hesitantly, I rasied my head.

 

“ You’re addicted to those pills, so well, I thought, maybe, you could get addicted to something else. Something you know healthy. Something I won’t get blamed for if you, you know, become obsessed with it.”

 

“ W-What is it.” I groaned.  In my opinion, that came out a little harsher than it was meant too. I think Mir understood though. I hoped so at least.

 

“ This is embarrassing.” I heard Mir mumble.

 

“M-Mir..” I moaned. His eyes flashed towards mine.

 

“ Yes?” He asked, his eyes sparkling.

 

“ Get the on with it.”

 

He chuckled sheepishly before nodding. His hands cupped both of my cheeks, keeping my head level with his. “ Stare at my face. Whenever you are in pain stare at my face, and the minute you do so I will make a weird face, something that will distract you like~” His expression twisted. “ This!”

 

I chuckled, and soon found myself laughing as he imitated a clown. When he was done though I found the pain to come back. I whined and held onto my sides. “ Th-that didn’t work.” Mir mumbled.

 

“ Nah~ Really?” I joked back. Mir’s face suddenly lit up.

 

“ You’re in a better mood!” Mir exclaimed. I jumped back at the volume. He quickly repeated it in a whisper, “ You’re in a  better mood!”

 

I smiled and shrugged. The pain seemed to be more bearable.

 

I wish I knew then, that I had already started to become addicted to something else; His Face.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Author's Note:

 

So I apologize for the late update! First of all, I had the plot but I couldn't write it correctly! Second of all I've been studying for finals! HELL YEAH! Dying! Third of all, on June 23rd I won't be on for four weeks, meaning no updates for over a month because I will be going to a Chinese Emerge Program in Vermont. (It is apparently very difficult to get in too, I wanted to brag... just a bit. xD)

And now I need to apologize for the rushness of this chapter. I feel like I rushed this chapter, though it has everything I intended it to have. Each chapter is like a mini plot xD Except this is going to be like a motif, his withdrawal and being addicted to you know who's face ( *cough* MIR *cough*)

So my Giraffe-babies, I feel like my fan club should just be called Giraffe-babies, I call you all that anyway because I"m insane and have a wierd sense of humour, what is your opinion on his withdrawal?

 

I knew that having him addicted to the pills meant that I had to have a chapter written about his symptoms and the horrifying experience that comes with it. Seeing how this is going to be an ongoing thing.

The sedatives, incase I do not explain this in the next chapter because knowing me I am a forgetful wombatt, are what will let him continue his day to day experience. He'll have this experimental medicine that will help him through the pain because what the HAPPY PILLS ARE, are unknown ^.^

Questions of the chapter:

 

Did you like the ending?

Why would Mir know about "promises not always workin the best?"

 

G.O had to be patient with Mir?

 

Are Joon's mood swings acceptable in this situation?


ENJOY ^.^


Preview (More like a reminder for me.)

SCHOOL?

BULLYING?

And a little about Mir!