Playing Hooky

Get Connected!

Psst, Seunggwan!”

Peering over his shoulder, Seunggwan found Jinki poking her head out of the women's shower room. Today was Class 1A and Class 2A's gym class at the local swimming pool. Every week they had two days where they would go to the swimming pool, and this was probably their second time doing this since the new principal came. It was actually the new principal's idea to do this since that's what they did at his old school. Jinki was motioning for him to come over, but he refused. There was no way he was going to get in trouble because he was loitering where he didn't need to be.

Edward Bu, you get over here right now!” Jinki hissed out his English name, causing Seunggwan to immediately rush over there as quietly as he could so he wouldn't get caught.

It was actually by chance that she had found out Seunggwan's English name and when she did, he made her promise that she would never use that name out in public. When she was in the office to run some errands for the teacher, she found one of the file cabinets open and because she felt the need to, she immediately scanned the folders for Seunggwan's file to see if there was anything interesting that she could use on him. Turns out that just last year, when he went on vacation to America, he registered for an English name and it just so happened to be Edward.

What do you want, Jinki?” Seunggwan hid behind one of the columns in front of the locker room, “I'm not supposed to be here so hurry up with whatever you want to say,”

Can you help me get out of this class?” Jinki whispered, making her eyes as wide as she could just so she could appear really cute. Seunggwan's nose wrinkled in disgust and he covered her face with his hand, “Stop that, will you? I'm not Chan. I don't live off girls' aegyo. Besides, why do you want to leave so badly?”

Quickly stopping her cute actions, Jinki cleared and stepped out from behind the locker room door. Seunggwan almost burst out laughing when he saw what she was wearing. Jinki had on a pink rashguard and black speedo shorts that just went mid-thigh. Honestly he wasn't laughing because he thought it looked funny, it was because all the other girls in their class and the other class were wearing swimsuits or two-pieces. And then came little Ms. Non-Athletic wearing something hat covered most of her skin. Jinki glared at him, “I know, you want to laugh but this isn't even my problem. I can't swim for my life so just punch me in the face and get this over with,”

I'm not going to punch you in the face,”

Fine, then I'll do it for you,” Jinki reached for his hand, but he immediately pulled his hand away so she didn't do anything stupid.

He definitely didn't want to get in trouble for punching a classmate in the face and ruining his perfect record. Plus, who would hit a girl anyway? That was just downright awful. But looking at how serious Jinki's face was, it didn't look like she was going to change her mind about skipping class. He watched her pacing back and forth, deep in thought about how she was going to get out of this one. It was hard for her to skip out on swimming days since she would have to walk all the way back to school. And that was a good few blocks down south.

I'm going to completely embarrass myself in front of the whole grade!” Jinki cried out, covering her face and pretending to weep, “All because you wouldn't help me!”

'Could she get anymore dramatic?' was the only thing running through Seunggwan's mind. It irked him that she was overreacting at such a petty thing like not being able to swim. It's not like they were in a pool that was ten feet deep either, it was a four feet deep pool! She could literally stand in it if she wanted to! Crossing his arms over his chest, Seunggwan frowned down at her, “I swear if you don't get out of this class and start blaming me, I'll tell the whole school about your little crush on Chan, and who the brains behind Robotoid is,”

You wouldn't dare!” Jinki gasped, “You promised me that you wouldn't tell anyone!”

Seunggwan smirked, “Promises are meant to be broken, isn't that what they say?”

Then...then I'll spread it to everyone that you touched me inappropriately!” Jinki threatened, “I don't care if it's a lie, I'll do it!”

No one will believe you,” Seunggwan scoffed. There was no way people would believe that such a good little angel like him would be going around touching girls where he shouldn't be. Of course no one would raise an eyebrow if it were Seokmin or anything, but it was a rather concerning that Jinki would actually use that as a threat. Throwing his hands in the air, he gave in and decided to help her with her stupid idea, “Fine, I'll help you, you little brat. But you're going to do exactly as I say, you got that?”


Bu, what the heck happened to Jin?” their coach, Junho asked when Seunggwan came into the pool area with Jinki's arm over his shoulder to support herself.

Seunggwan had to give it to Jinki. She looked pretty sick. Then again, this was someone who just ate an entire bag of mini Crunch chocolates he had in his backpack in less than five minutes. Her face was slightly pale and she was like there was no tomorrow as she clutched her stomach. The rest of the student's eyes were on them while Junho came up to them to check up on the sickly child. Seunggwan kept an arm her waist to make it more believable that she wasn't feeling well, “I have no idea. I was just getting out of the locker room when she called me over asking me for help,”

Wait a minute, didn't Seunggwan leave the locker room before we did?” Hansol whispered to Chan, who was staring at them suspiciously, “I could have sworn that,”

There was something odd about Seunggwan, Chan noticed. Hansol was definitely right about Seunggwan finishing first. If anything, Seunggwan was always a fast changer. He would quickly shower and then change into his swim trunks like the Flash. It also was a bit odd that it was Jinki again. The two had been acting secretive whenever they weren't around, and when he would come over and start talking with them, they both became a bit quiet. He couldn't have been dating Jinki. Seunggwan was the one who suggested Jinki to Chan!

Nah, he left the same time I did,” Chan lied to save Seunggwan's . He figured that he might as well ask around later. Stepping forward, Chan tapped Junho on the shoulder, “Jinki doesn't look too good though. She might have to go to the infirmary,”

You're right, she should take a rest,” Junho agreed, “Bu, I need you to take her back to the infirmary. Walk slowly though. It's okay if you don't come back to class. I'll mark you under an excused absence. I don't want you walking all the way back just to make the last five minutes of class. Go ahead to the locker rooms and change,”

Nodding his head, Seunggwan thanked the coach and started walking back to the locker rooms with Jinki still acting like she was dying. Dongjin and Mingming exchanged glances with each other from different sides of the pool with one thing on their minds: Seunggwan and Jinki were acting up just so they could get out of class and spend time with each other. Hansol on the other hadn, was interrogating Chan wondering why he did that.

Once they arrived at the locker rooms, Seunggwan carefully let go of Jinki, but kept his arm around her waist just in case she was going to tumble over. He noticed her pained expression, and lifted her chin to get a better look, “Wow, you really are sick. You want me to help you change into your uniform?”

No, no, I got it!” Jinki tried to pull away from Seunggwan only to almost trip over on thin air. Luckily for her, he grabbed her before she fell. Shaking his head, Seunggwan sighed and started walking into the girl's locker room with her, “Fine, I won't help you change. But I'm going to stay in the locker room with you until you get yourself dressed,”

It was so humiliating for Jinki to have Seunggwan supervising her in the locker room. Hell, he wasn't even supposed to be in there! It was against pool rules and just rules in general for a boy to be inside a girl's locker room. Why would he even think about breaking the rules now when he was so concerned about not wanting to get in trouble earlier? It didn't make sense. Sitting Jinki down on one of the benches, Seunggwan told her to stay there until he found her gym bag. Once he found a purple gym bag with her name tag on it, he ran back and set it down on the floor in front of her, “Here. Don't try anything funny and just change here while I go grab my things. Then we can head back to school,”

Like he told her, Seunggwan was in and out of the boy's locker room in less than a minute. It really didn't take him a long time to change out of his swimming outfit and back into his uniform. He was still fussing with his tie when he slipped back into the girl's room to check on Jinki. He prepared himself for the worst just in case he caught her while she was in her undergarments. Once he entered the room, he called out to her, “Jinki? Hey can I come in?”

Yeah, I'm done!” she yelled back at him, “Come here!”

Quickly making his way through the rows of lockers, he found Jinki in full uniform. She had just finished putting on her shoes when he turned the corner. Standing in front of her, Seunggwan slung his sling bag onto his back and sighed for the hundredth time that afternoon, “Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go,”

Carry me,” Jinki demanded, weakly extending her arms out to him, earning her a confused look from the older boy.

Stop acting up and walk for yourself,” Seunggwan angrily snapped, picking up her gym bag to so that she wouldn't have to do it for herself. That was the most he planned on doing for her. She was going to have to walk using her own strength. Besides, why did he have to carry her? She was just acting out wasn't she? “You're the one that got yourself into this mess so you have to pay up for it!”

Stomping her feet like a little kid begging for a toy they desperately wanted, Jinki whined in a high-pitched voice, “Seunggwannie~!”

He was taken aback by the sudden term of endearment added to his name. No one ever called him 'Seunggwannie' unless they were Hansol, Chan, or a girl trying to flirt with him. A few of his lose friends would call him that but they were close friends. Jinki was Jinki. Someone he was trying to matchmake with his best friend. Nothing more nothing less. Clicking his tongue, Seunggwan dropped her gym bag at her best friend's locker, hoping that her friend would get the message and bring it back to school. After running a hand through his hair, Seunggwan crouched down in front of her and patted his back, “This is the last time I'm going to help you with your stupid ideas, Jinki. Get on,”

Her eyes immediately lit up and she clapped her hands, “Yes!”

Seunggwan could literally see the 'sickness' leaving her body when she grinned like that. It was as if all the energy was zapped back into her body by some special invisible electrical current. Once she got on, he slowly stood up, making sure that he had a firm grip on her legs and she was supporting herself around his neck. He could feel her smiling against his back. Rolling his eyes, Seunggwan , “Are you having that much fun imagining that I'm Chan?”

Hey mind your own business and get going!” Jinki adjusted herself so that her chin was resting on his left shoulder comfortably, “Let's go through the back door so we don't have to walk through everyone,”

Whatever you want, Jinki,” Seunggwan grumbled under his breath, knowing that she could hear it since she was literally cheek-to-cheek with him, “It's not like I wanted the whole grade to see us,”


Why'd you stop walking?”

Jinki lifted her head up and noticed that Seunggwan was stopping to catch a breath. They were somewhere in the middle of the park near the school. Seunggwan had claimed that it was a shortcut but from all the walking he had done, he was getting tired. It wasn't easy carrying a teenage girl on your back you know. Walking a bit further, Seunggwan let her off his back and threw himself down on the bench on the right. His back ached so much from being hunched over, maybe he even shrunk an inch because of it. Jinki sat down next to him, slouching, “I guess we're not going to make it back to school on time,”

Since when did the school ever get mad at student for being late because of illness?” he lifted his head up, face red from all the blood rushing to his head when it was thrown back.

Shrugging, Jinki decided that he was right. The school really was lenient when students had to leave campus because of injuries, it really should be the same when a student was heading back to school from the outside. There hadn't been a day where she could call out sick from school and they wouldn't even ask. Then again, they were a really largely populated school, so maybe it didn't matter to them that one or two students were constantly sick. Germs were spread around like horderves being served at a grand party. Jinki held her stomach, patting it gently, “My stomach really hurts though,”

Well you did scarf down those chocolates like a madman,” Seunggwan reminded her, earning him a slap to the head, “What? I was just pointing out the truth!”

Pouting, Jinki looked down at the ground wondering what the rest of her classmates were doing at the pool. The bad thing about skipping out on swimming class was that she was missing out on Chan abs – if he had any, of course. Her thoughts about Chan and his abs were rudely interrupted by Seunggwan tapping her shoulder. Narrowing her eyes at him, Jinki said, “What is so important that you had to interrupt me while I was daydreaming?”

I don't know if you care or anything, but look over there,” Seunggwan pointed the tree slightly hidden behind the bushes in front of them. They had a clear view of the trunk, but that was pretty much it. Jinki stared at the tree trunk not sure what she was supposed to be looking at. By the look on her face, Seunggwan figured that she didn't see anything, “If you look really closely, I think you'll find another two students playing hooky. Most specifically Mister Student Council President and out lovely classmate,”

Squiting, Jinki craned her neck out a little to see what Seunggwan was talking about. dropped when she saw what he was pointing out to her. Two students came out from behind the bushes, and now stood underneath the tree. It was obvious from the body structures that one was a boy and the other was a girl. Who they were though remained a mystery to Jinki, but it seemed like Seunggwan already got it figured out. The taller boy had his arms placed cooly above the girl's head while her back was against the tree trunk. Jinki couldn't hear what they were talking about but it looked like they were clearly enjoying themselves. The boy leaned down to kiss the girl, but suddenly Seunggwan interrupted the two by slow clapping.

The students quickly pulled away from each other, and looked around to see who was clapping. Jinki's eyes doubled in size when she saw their faces, “Soonyoung sunbae? Choyoung unnie? What are you doing here?”

Don't tell anyone what we were doing!” Soonyoung quickly said, hoping that he wouldn't get stripped of his student council title because he wanted to get out of class. His tone immediately changed when he realized that Seunggwan and Jinki were also skipping class, “Wait a minute. What are you guys doing here?”

Obviously not what you were doing,” Seunggwan had a sly smile on his face, “Jinki got sick before swimming class started so we're heading back to school. You two though, should actually be in our swimming class right now,”

Choyoung and Soonyoung exchanged worried glances; neither of them wanted to get in trouble and have themselves on the front of the school newspaper as the 'Hottest Couple on Campus'. Jinki couldn't help but giggle at the two. They looked so guilty that they had been caught by another set of students. She thought about the consequences they would be facing if word were to get out about sneaking around during school hours. Seunggwan decided that he wouldn't play with them anymore since they were older than him anyway, and it wasn't nice to do that to fellow classmates, “Don't worry, we won't tell anyone. Just go and play somewhere else okay? Jinki and I don't want to watch you do your...whatever you couples like to do,”

Jink had never seen such relieved faces in her life before, until she saw those two. Soonyoung and Choyoung simultaneously bowed, showering Seunggwan with thanks and ran off to another safer, and more secluded area of the park – wherever that may be. The two were quiet once again as they rested on the park bench, just staring at the landscaping around them. Jinki had busied herself with watching a squirrel gnawing at a fallen acorn when Seunggwan tapped her shoulder, “Does your stomach still hurt?”

Yeah, a little bit,” Jinki patted her tummy, “It hurts to move but I can manage,”

Seunggwan stared at her for a while, making Jinki uncomfortable. Why was he looking at her like that? She shifted a little bit in her seat before turned her attention back to the squirrel. Just her luck. The little animal was gone. Before she could find something else to draw her attention to, Seunggwan reached over and slid her onto his lap so that her back was against his chest. Her heart skipped a beat when she felt his arms wrapping around her waist, “W-what are you d-doing?” she barely managed to squeak out.

Stop fidgeting,” Seunggwan held her down so that she wouldn't try to get up, chin resting on top of her head.

She hesitantly obeyed, still not sure why he was doing this. A warm sensation started to build up in her stomach when he gently started to rub her tummy. It was a lot like what her mom used to do when she was sick, only this time it was Seunggwan instead of her mom. Even though her stomach was now starting to feel less tight, Jinki still felt uncomfortable, “I asked you something and you didn't answer me,”

I'm feeling for a baby bump,” he teased, ducking behind her when she reached up to hit him again on the head. Seunggwan took both her hands in one of his and set it down on her lap to prevent her from attempting to hit him again, “I'm joking, geez! Try to do something nice and instead you get hit. You're really troublesome, you know that Jinki?”

Yeah but why are you doing this?” Jinki asked again, still waiting for an answer. She just couldn't understand Seunggwan sometimes. One moment he would be completely frustrated at her, then a minute later, he was being a complete sweetheart. She leaned back and rested her head against his chest since she really wasn't tall enough, “I can ride this out on my own you know,”

Seunggwan rocked her back and forth just like his grandmother would do when he was younger and wouldn't stop crying, “Because I feel responsible for getting you sick so I'm going to help you. Do you have a problem with that?”

No,” she bluntly said. Jinki tried her best to not sound like she was enjoying his comfort, but her eyelids just seemed to get heavier and heavier by the second. The atmosphere was just right; the breeze was cool and warm, the sun was shining, and Seunggwan was just really warm like her blanket at home. It was if she were relaxing on a Sunday afternoon in her backyard, only this time it was on a school day when she really should be drowning or making a fool out of herself at the pool.

Yawning, she shifted a little bit to try and get in a comfortable position in his lap. It paid to be small at times, “But let's get this straight, you're not my boyfriend okay? This is something that a girl would allow only her boyfriend to do when she isn't feeling well and I don't want you to get the wrong idea,”

Chuckling, Seunggwan was about ready to come up with a snarky remark, but was stopped short when he heard her quietly snoring. It wasn't a loud snoring, rather, a cute hushed one that most girls had when they were enjoying their sleep. He shook his head, unable to believe that she had fallen asleep within minutes of sitting in his lap. Adjusting her head so that it wouldn't slide off his chest, Seunggwan couldn't help but stare at her sleeping face. It was so clam, and relaxed unlike when she was active and awake, it was lively and cheerful. Or if she wasn't lively and cheerful, it was annoyed or irritated. Once again sighing for the thousandth time, Seunggwan found the squirrel she was looking at earlier running down the trunk of the tree, “Let's just hope that Chan is a better boyfriend than I am at being a considerate friend,”