You Have Some Explaining To Do

Get Connected!

"I swear to God that this Robotoid is hacking,”

Chan, Seunggwan and Hansol crowded around the library computer that Chan had signed up for. They had been staring Robotoid's void profile for about half an hour now, meaning that Chan only had about an hour left on that computer. His tablet was going under repairs with the school technician because whenever he turned it on tablet mode, the screen would go haywire. Actually, no. It would just turn white and that was the end of his screen until he restarted it. Seunggwan pointed to the edge of Robotoid's avatar. It was that same avatar that you could mistake for either a woman or Darth Vader depending on how you looked at it, “Hey Chan, zoom up on that,”

“What? Here?” Chan proceeded to zoom in on the edge Seunggwan was pointing to. Hansol put a hand to his mouth when he realized what Seunggwan saw too. Chan still didn't get what was so shocking about that avatar edge. Hansol traced the edge of the box with his finger, “Do you see that? There's a picture underneath there!”

“I still don't get it,”

“That means there's actually a registered student on here! The only thing is, whoever this person is is messing around with the system to try and cover up their identity!” Seunggwan patted the younger's shoulders as he explained his flawless theory. Hansol nodded, “And they almost did, if Seunggwan didn't have such hawk eyes,” This gained a playful bow from the older boy.

“Okay, so now we know it's definitely a student,” Chan crossed his arms, leaning back into the spinny office chair. He looked at what they could see in the picture but they could only make out that the student had chosen a grey backdrop for their school picture. Their school yearbook allowed them to pick out whatever color they wanted the backdrop to be and if they really wanted, they could pay extra for a backdrop of their choice. This one decided to go for the default backdrop. Chan looked up at the two who were sitting at the edge of the computer table, “But how do you suppose we figure out who this person is?”

Hansol shrugged his shoulders, “Maybe we could go through the yearbook and see who had grey as their backdrop color and start from there?”

“But won't that be a lot of people?” Chan wondered, reminding Hansol that the school had a large population, “And I'm pretty sure more than half of the upperclassmen would choose grey because they really just don't care about it anymore,”

The three just sat there, stumped at what to do next. They really did want to know who was messing around with the stats and for what reason. Mrs. Pak, the senior librarian, walked over and scolded Seunggwan and Hansol for sitting on the tables and told them that if they can't find any chairs to sit at, then they should go to the main tables and sit there. There were many vacant tables, so they decided to just move over and take one for themselves. The three claimed a table next to two second year students from the dance club: Lee Jihoon and Pan Dabae. Hansol waved hello to the two and split off for a few minutes to catch a word with them; all three of them were in the school's dance team together. Seunggwan sat across Chan and spun his phone in-between his fingers, “I seriously wonder why anyone would even do that to you,”

“Yeah, me too,” Chan muttered, putting his head down on the table, “I'm not a bad guy. I buy my parents gifts, well with their credit cards. But I don't lie! Well, unless necessary,”

Seunggwan shook his head as Chan continued to list off reasons why he was a good buy, but followed each one with a contradicting statement. His eyes wandered off to two second year students at the couches near the entrance. They were the Chinese transfer students. They had come in the same year, but Yao Mingming had just arrived in Korea just two months before school started. Wen Junhui graduated from Seunggwan's middle school, but only transferred into Kyung Rim after spending first year in China. The two became immediate friends, and were always seen together.

“I wonder what they're always talking about,” Seunggwan wondered out loud, continuing to look at the two older boys, “They seem to be having a fun conversation all the time,”

His eyes darted over to the library door when it opened, by instinct. He always had this thing that when a door would open, he would immediately turn to see who it was. You never know if it might be someone you'd recognize, you know? Jinki entered the library, cradling a few of her textbooks in her arms. Upon seeing her, Mingming cut his conversation with Junhui and walked over, taking her books and carried them for her. Seunggwan could see a smile forming on Junhui's face as he internally fangirled over his best friend trying to help Jinki. Seunggwan's eyes narrowed, not believing what he was seeing, “Does Mingming hyung like Jinki?”

“Why do you ask?” Chan still had his head to the desk with his eyes closed.

Seunggwan strained his ears to try and listen in on what they were talking about. No good. The three were talking in Chinese. Just his luck. Maybe he shouldn't have taken Japanese. Chinese probably would have been easier to especially since Soonyoung was his tutor right now. The tutor for Chinese was a third year student, Hong Jihye, and she was fine. Seunggwan continued to eavesdrop anyway, eyes widening when he heard Jinki ask Mingming and Junhui something about games.

“Maybe the person we're looking for isn't an upperclassman,” Seunggwan suddenly suggested, making the youngerlift his head up and look at him questioningly. Clapping his hands together, he quickly gathered up his things, slid his backpack onto his shoulder and got up, making sure he wouldn't lose sight of the three students. Seunggwan pushed his chair in, and patted Chan's sleepy face, “Hey, where's your tablet?”

“Mr. Joo's office, why?” Chan turned around in his seat, watching Seunggwan rush out of the library doors. Seunggwan opened the door, ready to step out, “I think I have an idea,”


“We'll do homework first before we play, okay?”

Jinki led the two second year boys down the hall into her game room. Like all the other rooms in her house, the plain white room wasn't fully furnished. There was a large TV in the center of the room, taking up 2/3rds of the wall. Underneath was a shelf carved out of the wall displaying the wide collection of consoles that she had collected over the years. There was another in-wall bookcase to the side that held all her games. The other three walls of the room had an extended couch and seat set which ran around the entire room. It was white as well. The pillows were black and every two seats, one of the square pillows were placed neatly in the center. In the middle was a large glass table with a black Oak frame. Other than the TV, the table, and the pillows, everything else, was white. Even the consoles.

“Sure, sounds good to me,” Mingming agreed and placed his backpack on the floor. Junhui did the same since he wasn't sure if it was okay to put his things on the couch. Jinki slid her backpack off her shoulders and headed over to one of the walls. Mingming watched as she pressed a number of buttons on the keypad against the wall, eyes widening when the wall split open revealing a walk-in closet. Jinki clapped her hands to turn the lights on and turned to the two, “I'm just going to change real quick, okay? I'll be right back,” and with the press of a button, the wall closed.

“So tell me, and be honest” Junhui watched his younger friend started to take out his homework planner, “You've got a thing for this Jinki girl, huh?”

“Sort of,” Mingming shyly rubbed the back of his neck, turning the pages of his planner to today's date. Junhui squealed like a little girl, excited that he was right. He knew something was going on with Mingming. Ever since Jinki had switched over to their Chinese class two weeks after school had started, Mingming would always take quick glances to his right where Jinki sat. Junhui noticed that whenever Jinki would pass by them in the hallways too, that Mingming would suddenly stop talking and watch her walk by. At first, he thought that Mingming was afraid of her, but now he figured out that it was because Mingming was actually falling for her.

“Come on, man! Spill the deets!” Junhui placed his Chemistry textbook on his lap, “Why do you like her?”

“She's pretty when she smiles and she's really nice,” Mingming covered his pink tinted cheeks with his hands. It was true though. That sweet smile she had given him on the first day of her Chinese class. Their teacher pointed out who he was and told her to sit next to him. And that little wave. It was so cute. The way her eyes curved into little smiles, and how that one dimple of hers appeared. Everything about her seemed so adorable. Jinki often helped him when his tablet was acting up in class and let's not forget how she actually set aside a time for him on the weekend to fix his tablet last week.

Junhui playfully cringed and made a dying noise when he heard the younger being all cheesy. Mingming rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed, “Ahh, it sounded better in my head,”

The two hushed when the wall started shifting again. Jinki came up the half-stairs with a hairtie clutched between her teeth while her fingers ran through her hair fixing it into a high ponytail. She swiftly did her hair and closed the door to her closet before sitting back down. She had changed into light grey capri sweats and a plain purple sweatshirt with a bunny in the front. Oh, and don't forget the black socks. Jinki can't ever forget the socks. Jinki caught Mingming staring, “Do you not like purple?”

“Ah no, it's not that. You look nice,” Mingming chuckled nervously, making the first year girl shake her head, giggling. Junhui on the other hand was busy pretending to gag to the side, earning him an elbow nudge from Mingming. A random television program played in the background while the three proceeded to do homework. Every once in a while, one of them would comment on something they heard or just something general about the show they found interesting or weird. It was about half an hour later when the doorbell rang. Jinki closed her Cell Biology book and set it on the seat next to her, “I don't have any appointments today. I wonder who that is,”

Getting up, she made her way to the door and told them that they would be right back. Once she got over to the door, she inserted the password to their door camera to see who it was. Her family found no use in peepholes and since she was alone most of the time, she would have absolutely no use for it since she would be too short to see through it. Jinki facepalmed when she recognized the deranged figure standing outside her door. Those chubby cheekbones and sharp jawline of his couldn't be mistaken for anyone else. She unlocked the door, “What are you doing here?”

Seunggwan leaned over, clutching his knees as his chest heaved up and down heavily. He had run from school all the way to her house, and pretty much gave himself a self-tour of her place because he got lost in the garden. Jinki stared at him, keeping the latch on her door on because she didn't want to let him in. He didn't make an appointment a day prior so there was no way she was going to just make an exception for him because he was a classmate. She closed the door, catching him by surprise, and she ran down the hall to the game room where Mingming and Junhui were., “Hey guys, I have to fix someone's tablet real quick, okay? I'll be back in a few. Don't open the door, please,”

“Sure, no problem. We'll be here,” Mingming smiled, looking up from his Geometry homework, “And I promise Junhui will be on his best behavior,”

Jinki flashed a toothy grin, and closed the door behind her as she jogged back to the front door. She was pretty mad that Seunggwan had followed her home. If anything, she really didn't want Seunggwan to find out where she lived otherwise it would completely blow her cover. Then again, she had to admit that Seunggwan was a pretty smart guy. Maybe he saw right through her. If he did, that would be a problem. Once she opened the door Seunggwan was still there, but this time he was leaned over the stair railing, still trying to catch his breath. Jinki unlocked the latch and opened the door wide, “Hey Seunggwan, get in here now or I won't help you at all,”

“Well, well, well. So we're not really a bubbly, airheaded ray of sunshine, are we?” Seunggwan collapsed onto the rock hard sofa, cringing. Jinki's wrinkled her nose in disgust and started to push him off the couch when she closed the door, “Ew, get off! You're sweaty and gross!”

Seunggwan rolled underneath the table, clutching Chan's laptop like a child he was protecting. Jinki snatched it up and cradled it much gently than he had. To Seunggwan, she looked like a mother who was getting a baby to stop crying by bouncing it. She lowered her voice as she glared at him, “You almost damaged the tablet, you cruel, heartless, computer killer!”

“Look, I'm not here to fight,” he held his hands up defensively, “I'm just here to get my tablet fixed. There's something wrong with the screen. It keeps turning white whenever I put it in tablet mode. It'll be okay once I restart it though,”

Jinki looked at him like he was talking nonsense, but told him to just sit down. She took a seat next to him on the sofa, and he inched closer to see what she was going to do. While the tablet , Seunggwan looked over her shoulder and she found it really weird. She wasn't used to sitting so close to a boy before, especially if that boy was Seunggwan. She looked up at him, turning the screen around so he couldn't see, “Do you mind? How about sitting over there so you can stop breathing down my neck?”

"You're such a girl,” she heard Seunggwan mumble under his breath as he scooted over. Rolling her eyes, she turned the screen back around and set the tablet down on the low table. Getting up, she headed into the laundry room and grabbed a yellow shirt and their gym shorts. Jinki hated the smell of sweat, and since Seunggwan reeked of it, she seriously needed to do something about it. She walked back out, throwing the clothes on his lap, “Here, change into these,”

“But, these are girl's clothes?” Seunggwan held up the yellow shirt she had given him. It was a V-neck shirt and it had a slight curve along the sides. It was definitely a female's article of clothing, no doubt. Jinki sighed, “Look, you smell and it's disgusting. Besides, I'm sure with that figure of yours, you can fit in my clothes. Those gym shorts are the school's and they're for both girls and boys. The bathroom is down the hall, second door on the left,”

Seunggwan grumpily got up, sticking his tongue out when she turned back to the laptop. What can you say? He's only fifteen years old, after all. When the tablet loaded to the password screen, something caught her eye. She read the name aloud, loud enough for her to hear, “Lee C? Isn't Seunggwan's last name Bu? Wait a minute,”

Jinki shot up from her seat on the couch, and darted up the stairs, heart racing. That wasn't Seunggwan's laptop, that was Chan's. Knowing Chan, if he really wanted his computer to get fixed, he would have gone to Mr. Joo. That boy would do anything to avoid getting help from people his age or younger. His self-pride was on the line. And there couldn't be any other reason for Seunggwan to be going to her house unless he wanted to check out something, and she would bet everything that was what he was doing. She slammed open the door to her bedroom and froze when she saw Seunggwan sitting at her laptop. Leaning back in her desk chair, Seunggwan turned the laptop screen towards her, “I think you have some explaining to do, Robotoid,”