Winter Warmth

Get Connected!

It was the morning after the esteemed Christmas Day, but to two young teens, the day was still alive. Because they weren't able to spend their Christmas Day with each other, Seunggwan coerced Jinki into going with him to the snow capped mountains. His parents were both out of the house to run errands, and it's not like Jinki had anything to do anyway. When did she ever have plans, after all? It was beautifully white from yesterdays Christmas storm, and it was the perfect place to spend a belated winter holiday, if ever. So there Jinki was, sitting atop a small rock underneath an overgrown pine tree. Her gloved hands cupped her pink cheeks in an effort to warm them somehow. Her eyes were cast down on the ground as her eyes traced the footsteps she had imprinted in the fluffy powder. Not too far away from her was Seunggwan held a Canon 60D in his hands as he captured multiple candids of the scenery around him.

You're taking a lot of pictures,” Jinki grinned at her lap as she watched the misty swirls of her breath escape her lips and into the cold atmosphere, “What are you taking pictures of?”

Oh, nothing,” Seunggwan smiled to himself as he switched the camera off and tucked it away into the camera bag hanging around his shoulders, “Just a few pretty things, that's all,”

He was taking pictures of many things, namely the tree in front of him. It was a grand tree, and the way it overlooked the city below them in the background was absolutely stunning. Jinki chuckled at his answer and shook her head slightly; Seunggwan was doing it again. She noticed that it was a bad habit of his to avoid answering the question, but in a way, she liked it. It heightened her curiosity to learn more about a reserved person like himself. Removing her hands from her face, she stood up and made her way over next to Seunggwan who was standing over at the overlook, trying out the telescope that was placed there for visitor purposes. When he saw her, he moved over and lowered the lens so that she could have a chance to see through it too. The sight of the usually bustling city took her breath away. Because the snow clouds still hadn't cleared, the sky provided a darker light casting down on the city. The lights looked like little balls of color mixing with each other since they were so closely spaced apart. From up there, she could even point out where the tallest towers of Seoul were.

Wow, that's so cool!” She exclaimed when she moved aside for Seunggwan to look through it again.

As Seunggwan looked through the glass, Jinki took this time to set her backpack down and retrieved a small box from the front pocket. Navy blue wrapping paper lined the box, not a wrinkle or misfolded creases could be found. Held together by a white ribbon, it was tied at the end with a tightly knotted bow. A tag in a lighter shade of blue dangled from the middle of the bow, with on point silver handwriting on the front: 부승관 ♡. Zipping her bag closed, the corners of tugged upwards as she stood up, holding the box in her hands. She cleared , catching Seunggwan's attention; his eyebrows raised when he saw the little trinket box in her hands, questioning what it was. Taking a step forward, Jinki took his hands and slipped the box into his hold, “Merry Christmas, Seunggwan. I hope you like it,”

Jinki you didn't-” Seunggwan's cheeks flushed a deep magenta hue, bringing his eyes slightly downwards to avoid her gaze. He was slightly embarrassed that she actually bothered to go out and buy him something when it really wasn't necessary. With Jinki watching him, he shyly rubbed the back of his neck with his gloved hand before slipping it into his pocket, “Uh it's a little something from me to you. M-merry Christmas, Jinki,”

She's not going to deny that her heart fluttered a little when he pulled out a small box about the same size as the one she gave him, all pink and decorated with white lacy ribbon. Now it was her turn to blush like mad. They agreed to open their presents at the same time on the count of three; having to do it over twice because Seunggwan didn't know if it was on three or if it was on go. However, on 'go', Seunggwan held back on opening his and watched as Jinki excitedly opened hers. Her heart thumped against her chest hardly as she stared at the silver necklace wrapped around a white leather pillow. The charm was a locket with her initials engraved on the front. Her words failed her, making her stumble over what to say, “Wow, Seunggwan it's so pretty I-” Her fingers lightly brushed over the engravings, cheeks reddening at the thought that this was her very first gift necklace – and from a boy.

Do you want me to put it on for you?” there was a slight waver in Seunggwan's voice, obvious that he was slightly tense at the moment.

With a million butterflies invading her stomach, Jinki nodded her head slowly, “I'd like that,”

Taking the necklace from the box, Seunggwan took a step towards her, now merely a few inches separating them. Jinki lowered her head slightly, hiding her eyes behind her fringe. Seunggwan's spicy cinnamon cologne warmed her heart as it reminded her of sitting by the fire and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. There was always a sense of timelessness with him, and it was so comforting. Everything about his presence seemed to bring her everything good and genuine that she was missing in her life. She swore that Seunggwan could probably hear the beating of her heart as he pulled her hair away from her neck, guiding the chain around and clasping the hooks together. A chuckle formed in the back of Seunggwan's throat as he reached up, tilting her head to get a better look at her bright pink face.

To Jinki, this was a rather odd moment. There they were, two good friends standing at an uncomfortably small distance away from each other – it was all too unrealistic. But she would've never wanted it any other way. Soon, she found herself ignoring the heat radiating off her cheeks. She blinked up at those large doe eyes of his that you could just melt in. Slightly chubby cheeks that were pink, and a button nose that was reddened by the nipping air all contributed to his overall cartoonish appeal. When he pulled his hands back and returned them to his side, she caught herself admiring his features now that they were standing this close to each other. And she didn't even mind.

Do you mind if I...” Seunggwan started, breaking her out of her trance. It took her a moment to process his half-question. When she did, she tilted her head to the side, blinking curiously, “Do I mind if you...?”

The rest was all a perfect blur. The moment itself was gentle, yet captivating. Slow, though emotional. A mixture of cinnamon and pumpkin lulled the senses; mesmerized lips pressed against each other. She was hesitant; standing the frozen and unsure of what to do in the strange situation. Shivers ran across her skin when unconsciously, she found herself returning his actions. A contented sigh left her lips as she began to familiarize herself with this new sensation. It was electric, the way their lips moved against each other; shyly, modestly, innocently. Seunggwan felt her pull back slightly when his arms began snaking around her waist, prompting him to only pull her closer to him. A slow embrace; his arms around her waist, her arms slowly wandering upwards to rest on his chest. The soft winter winds blowing across their heated cheeks, eliciting the beautiful red hues on their milky skin. With just the two of them there, the rest of the world disappeared.

this chapter was so bad. im sorry, pls forgive me. i'm so rusty at writing rn.