Memory

Get Connected!

Author's Note: Hello, everyone! Miranda here! I'm really sorry that I've been lazy when it came to updating my stories. I've just been lacking motivation recently since Seventeen hasn't been doing much, and school is just really tiring in general. Anyway, if you have been following me on here, I do occasionally post oneshots, but that won't be the case for the next three to four weeks. If you follow me on Twitter, you'd have heard that I have another surgery on May 2nd (also the day of my birthday, yay!) and I won't be on here as often as I have posting whatever I post so I'll be on hiatus. I will try my best during my recovery period to write more chapters for you guys, and I might just have my sister post them if she can.

Thank you again for reading, and I hope you continue to support my stories!

Dajia's Note: Hello everyone, this is Miranda's little sister. You might have seen me a few times updating her stories for her. For the meantime, I will be updating for her during her recovery period. This story was based off the song, Memory from Cats. If you'd like to listen to it on repeat, you can listen to it here.


I bet you can't reach high enough to put that up there,”

Early evening had come around at the Bu residence, and all the lights were in the Bu residence. Two shadows from the living room were walking back and forth from one side to another, while another figure stood still in the kitchen. Outside, Mr. Bu was out on the roof stringing up the rest of the Christmas lights on the top levels before it got too dark. Inside, Seunggwan was setting up the interior of the house with Jinki's help. They had already finished replacing the mantle and table runners, and switched out the old figurines for Christmas themed ones; the only thing left was the tree. Boxes lay across the floor: clear ones, cardboard ones, small ones, big ones, narrow ones – they had it all. They had only started decorating the tree now since Jinki struggled in helping put together the tree. They were decorating from the top, down.

In Jinki's hands was a red spherical ornament with a delicate gold glitter design. There were about fifteen or so ornaments of the same kind; the remaining ninety were plain red, brown or gold with and without deigns. On the table was a box that contained the specialty ornaments that they had collected or been given throughout the year, but that was still closed since they were the last decorations to be put on the tree. Seunggwan had been doing most of the decorating, but now Jinki wanted to pitch in too. Now here she was, trying to figure out a way to put the ornament all the way up there.

I'm going to decorate this tree one way or another,” Jinki mumbled under her breath much to Seunggwan's satisfaction after she gave up after ten attempts to put it on, “Mark my words, Bu Seunggwan,”

It didn't take Seunggwan very long to finish up the top so Jinki was able to pitch in earlier than she expected. In a matter of minutes, they had run out of ornaments to put on the tree. While Seunggwan cleared the boxes away, Jinki couldn't help but marvel at the beauty in front of her. The lights shone on the glass-like surface of the tree, making them twinkle like colorful radiant stars. She was seated on the floor, looking up, so at this angle, it was larger than life. Sitting down next to her, Beethoven and Dixie shared her joy as they wagged their tails happily to the beat of the soft piano music playing in the background. Jinki could clearly recognize the song playing, but had no idea how or why. She had never listened to classical music, let alone even knew how to play the piano. Even though she had the money, her parents had never really thought about putting her in lessons.

Hey Seunggwan,” Jinki called out to him as he walked back into the room, dusting his pants off from the dust that had rubbed off on him from the boxes, “What song is this?”

Hm?” Seunggwan raised an eyebrow at the sudden question.

The song that's playing right now...what is it?”

Honestly, he hadn't been paying much attention to the music. Tuning in, he listed to the progression of the score. His eyes widened slightly when he recognized what it was in the first few notes he heard. Suddenly, his shoulders felt very heavy as he walked over to the piano where the stereo rested atop. Jinki curiously watched him as he stared at the rotating disc in the player, with a distant look in his eyes. It was very often that Seunggwan retreated into some sort of 'flashback' mode whenever he came across even the simplest thing in his house. It was if every item held a sentimental value that Jinki had no clue what. A slight smile made it's way onto his face as he looked down at her puzzled face, “This song was actually a poem before a musical score was written for it on a Broadway show,”

There are many ways to interpret the song, really. The way I like to think of it is, a person walking down the streets at night. And as the person walks alone, a memory comes back to him from the past. There were two of them back then,” Seunggwan explained, lifting the piano cover up and running his fingers along the black and white keys. There was an emptiness in his voice now, “The memory was of a time when they were young and beautiful and happy. It was a good time. The next verse is him thinking that he is living in reality, and reality is moving on,”

A shiver ran down Jinki's spine at how deep the meaning of the song was. She didn't even know the lyrics, and already the song was more beautiful than when she first listened to it. Beethoven's fur, she suddenly remembered the girl that Seunggwan was always with in those pictures. Her eyes cast down onto her lap as she bit her lip; did Seunggwan have a sister that passed away? Or...had Seunggwan loved this girl? Still, the thought alone was bothering her. So what if Seunggwan loved someone? That was none of her business, so why was it making her feel...sad? Her thoughts were interrupted when Seunggwan continued, “The song elaborates more about how with each day passing, a new one will come and everything begins again. A fresh start. But as humans, we usually make the same decisions as the previous day because that's all we know, really,”

Touch me, it’s so easy to leave me all alone with the memory of my days in the sun. If you touch me, you’ll understand what happiness is. Look, a new day has begun,” Seunggwan recited the final verse lyrics along with the recording. His voice wavered slightly, but it was so subtle that Jinki didn't even pick up on it, “The person asks someone, just anyone to help him wake up, in a way. He wants to ignore her and let her be just a thing of the past,”

So did he?” the younger girl asked, wanting to know what became of the man. A knot in her chest tightened as the song reached the last few notes, “Did he leave her behind?”

There was a moment of silence as the next song slowly transitioned in, a mellower, less dramatic melody. This song was unfamiliar to Jinki, and was of little interest to her. She wanted to know what happened to the man. She wanted to annotate the song and find a deeper meaning to it. Why was Seunggwan so attached to the song? Why had he gone so far as to create an entire plot to it? Jinki wanted to know. A shy smile appeared on Seunggwan's lips as he pondered over her question. He thought about his answer for a bit, then sat down on the bench, positioning his fingers at the starting place. It had been so long since he practiced playing; how did he remember?

I'll tell you when you're ready,”

I'll tell you when I'm ready.