The Names

Formidable Resistance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

anyone who wants to throw a welcome party for me?

don't get me wrong, okay, I still have a major exam tomorrow-slash-later at 9AM (and it's past 4 AM here, gosh! I'm doomed again).. I just had the urge to write another lame update.. my brain will explode with all the duties. the studying and the paperworks.. but hey, aren't you SAD i'm still alive? hehehe :D

 

no proofreading is equal to lots of errors 

 

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

 

Chapter 6 - The Names

 

 

 

On Earth…

 

 

“Can you, at least, pretend that you’re grateful I got you out of there before you did something absurd?” Hyun Joong questioned the lady sitting on his passenger’s seat whilst he drove to the road to his home.

 

The lady just crossed her arms over her chest and stared outside the window. Hyun Joong was getting frustrated as minutes pass by. “Come on! We both know he’s not the Warrior whoever you are talking about!!”

 

 

 

“Daniel! It’s Warrior Daniel!” the lady finally spat back. He smiled upon the sound of her voice. It was better than not getting any response at all. “How would we know it’s not him if you didn’t even let me approach him! He would recognize me, that’s for sure!” she added.

 

 

 

“Oh, really?” he responded sarcastically. “Now, it makes me wonder how on earth would Kim Soo Hyun be your Warrior in heaven?”

 

 

 

“Because he is War—!” She abruptly turned her head to look at him wide-eyed. “Kim Soo—what did you say his name is? You—you know him?” she was bemused.

 

 

 

“Please,” he replied. “Everyone in town knows him. Kim Soo Hyun. The owner of the mall we just came from. As far as I know, he’s been living for 25 years. There’s no way he would be in heaven.”

 

 

 

Frustration flooded over her when she heard this. Although a day in heaven is equivalent to a year on earth, there was no way that man is Warrior Daniel. For as far as she knows, Daniel has been there for 3 days (or 3 years on earth), while she has stayed for just one eighth of a day (or 45 days on earth). But then luck wasn’t on her side when she fell and went back to earth. What exactly does fate have for her to be doing this? She wondered. But it still didn’t stop her from pondering about that man Hyun Joong called as Kim Soo Hyun. Why did he look exactly like Warrior Daniel?

 

 

 

“Hey! Hey! Ms. Angel, hellooooo!!!”

 

 

 

She shockingly turned her head to him. “What?!!” she asked.

 

 

 

He sighed as though he was accepting defeat. “I was calling your attention for about 15 minutes now. You’re spacing out. Anyway, I was just telling you that we’ve arrived.” He smirked at her. “Welcome to my place.”

 

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

 

Hyun Joong laid on his bed that night unable to sleep off the tiredness he felt for touring her around.

 

 

 

“We’ll go to other places tomorrow, okay?” he assured her after showing her the room adjacent to his. It was supposed to be the guest room. Well, she’s a guest, isn’t she? So it’s just right for him to offer the room.

Her mood seemed to lift up a bit even though he knows there’s still a hint of disappointment based from her facial expression.

 

 

 

He absentmindedly looked at the ceiling. The roof where she came off the previous night. He’s asking himself why. Why did he not get angry at her for destroying a part of his house? Why did he let this stranger—an angel, for that matter—stay with him? Why did he feel like protecting her from the hazards of earth?

 

 

 

He let out an exhausted sigh, finally giving up thinking about any particular reason. Maybe there isn’t any. Maybe there’s still a little kindness left in him in spite of the rebellious son label his parents gave him. Maybe he’s just thinking too much.

 

 

 

Tomorrow would be another day. He promised to tour her around the city and orient her to what she’s going to expect while she’s on earth. Tomorrow would be another day and at the back of his mind, he wished it was just an outlandish dream he was having.

 

 

 

With these thoughts flooding his brain cells, he fell asleep immediately.

 

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

 

The sun angrily stayed above the world that its radiating heat reached a sleep-deprived person. He shifted from the said heat only to be greeted by the most unwelcomed smell.

 

 

 

‘What the--?!’ he screamed in mind before groggily opening his eyes and lifting his body off the bed. He thought he was having a very nice dream. Well, not very nice considering that a very strange angel suddenly came to ruin his wonderful life on earth.

 

 

 

‘On Earth. On Earth. That’s right,’ he self-talked yet again. He’s on earth so no one—meaning no angel—could have been so brave to show herself in front of him.

 

 

 

As he went outside his room, the malodorous scent left a lingering touch on his nose that he thought he might just puke. He lazily followed the origin of the smell, noticing that there seems to be something wrong on some particular spots in his house. It seemed disorganized.

 

 

Weird,’ he shrugged the thought off, continuing his tour by the guidance of his nose.

‘What the—‘ his brain couldn’t continue its screams of protest when he saw the very origin.

“—HELL!!” his mouth continued. “WHAT THE HELL?!!” he shouted upon seeing the blue and yellow element trying to crawl upwards his kitchen curtains. He moved forward, his hands trying to reach whatever container there is that has water, and he literally felt like hell when he moved closer to it. It was hot.

 

 

 

SPLASH!

 

 

 

‘Success!’ he said to himself when the fire went out. He found himself holding a huge blue jar that he uses in storing unrefrigerated water in case he doesn’t want to drink it cold.

 

 

 

His gaze quickly made its way to another presence in the small kitchen. He blinked once, twice, thrice until it was uncountable.

 

 

 

“I can’t believe I’m still dreaming,” he loudly talked. A dream within a dream, eh? He chuckled and shook his head. “Now, time to wake up,” he added as he placed the jar down, his hand making contact on the damaged stove during the process.

 

 

 

TING!

 

 

 

He felt a slight pain upon the collision of his proximal arm on the said hot surface.

 

 

 

‘pain.. Pain… PAIN?!’

 

 

 

He actually felt pain and it alarmed him when that fact hit him hard on the head.

 

 

 

Are you supposed to feel freakin’ PAIN during your dreams?

 

 

 

He slowly turned his head back to the other person in the room.

 

“You—you’re—?” he asked as he pointed an accusing finger at her. “What are you—“

 

 

 

She suddenly smiled at him—an apologetic smile—and bowed. “I’m sorry. I was curious about how it works. I turned that around and when it lighted, I was trying to put it out but it only gets bigger and bigger ‘til it scared me,” she explained, pertaining to the switch of the gas stove.

 

 

 

He took a good gawk at her, making sure she felt the rage rising within him. Although he cannot completely decipher that this was actually happening, a part of his brain has somewhat accepted the fact.

 

 

 

The fact that she’s a real thing.

 

 

 

Not a dream, nor a dream within a dream.

 

Maybe he was just not ready to be facing another day with this, metaphor aside, God-sent creature. Maybe he was just convincing himself that it was all indeed a dream. Maybe he was just in denial.

 

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

 

The day passed by like a blur. As promised, he toured her more around the city and taught her as many information as he can. His patience was tested several times since the fire incident that morning. But seeing the reflection of innocence and sincerity in her eyes, who was he to judge her? He couldn’t find himself having anger at her for a long time. He set his temper aside to be her guide.

 

 

 

If angels that guide people are guardian angels, what does that make him? A guardian person?

 

 

 

‘A handsome guardian-person!’ he boasted his own thoughts as he assisted her in entering his their house.

 

 

 

He promised to spend their afternoon by teaching her reading and writing, and he’s not in the mood to break that promise. Not when the little witch angel kept on bugging him about how not keeping promises is not acceptable in heaven.

 

 

 

“You should rest first. You didn’t sleep last night.”

 

 

 

“Angels don’t sleep!” she argued stubbornly. “If you’re trying to use reverse psychology on me, then go ahead and rest. You look like you need it more than I.”

 

 

 

His mouth was left agape as though he was just about to eat a huge watermelon. Obviously, he wasn’t expecting that remark. Scratch that. He wasn’t expecting her to learn very fast.

He was using his words carelessly since that’s what he’s used to. He made a mental note to be careful from then on, considering that she has this talent of mimicking the way people talk.

 

 

 

As a result, he still ended up teaching her, fearing what she might cause again if he left her and slept. First, his destroyed roof. Next, his almost-burnt kitchen. What’s next? A bomb blowing his house down? There’s no way he would allow that.

 

 

 

On the other side of his consciousness, he knew he really needed to rest since his job is at night. It was a relief that it was his day off the previous night or else—he didn’t even want to think about it.

 

 

 

Wait a minute. Were those words really written?

 

 

 

 

 

JOB

 

 

 

 

 

AT NIGHT

 

 

 

 

 

JOB… JOB!!

 

 

 

‘!!’ he cursed inside his mind, knowing that he’d receive a hurtful smack once she hears him say that aloud.

 

 

 

Why hadn’t he thought about that sooner? Now, what was he going to do with his job when he has her following him to wherever. It’s not that he was complaining. In fact, it calms him knowing that she follows him everywhere instead of following someone else and be in trouble. But how was he going to do his work when he’s worried about where her curiosity would bring her? A minute that his eyes cannot find her already sends an incredibly panicked string within him. What more if 480 of it for a total of 8 hours went by?

 

 

 

He sighed upon the thought and looked at her. When their gazes met, he saw the quizzical note in her eyes which he returned with a reluctant smile.

 

“Listen, how about we end it here today? I've taught you the basics. Tomorrow, I’ll teach you more, okay? It’s actually a surprise that you know how to speak the language when you’re an idiot when it comes to its reading and writing.”

 

 

 

She answered him with a pointed glare, which caused him to raise his hands in surrender. “I honestly don’t know how fluent I can speak this language. I’m not really sure if it’s the same language we use in heaven. Know what, I was about to agree with the we end it here today part. But the insult made me want to continue.”

 

 

 

“Hey, I was kidding, alright? As much as I enjoy teasing—I mean, teaching you, I need to go to work or we—I mean, I won’t have anything to eat,” he warned as he began arranging the living room that served as their study room.

 

 

 

“Work? We’re going out?” again, her curiosity won over her desire for the alphabet when she saw him nod at her. She happily stood up ran towards her room wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter