Pickles the Cat

The Bigger the Dog, the Harder it Bites

(A/N: This will be a short chapter, because it is about how Grace found Pickles the cat. But I will update a new chapter soon!) 

Once everyone had finished eating, you all walked back to your rooms.

“It’s getting late guys. I’ll see you later.” Mi Do said, giving a small wave as she headed in the direction of her room.

“Same, I’m beat.” Kai agreed, following her.

That left you and Tao.

“Well, I guess we can just go back together.” Tao suggested. You nodded quietly.

“Hey- I’m sorry about earlier. The girls here get really jealous over stupid things. I promise that I won’t let it happen again. As your partner, I’ll protect you.” Tao said the last part in a whisper, leaning into your ear. You blushed.

You quickly straightened yourself out and practically ran to your room, Tao following closely behind.

Once you reached the door you fished out your room key and stuck it into the door knob, turning it left and right, but for some reason it wouldn’t unlock.

You suddenly felt a heat on your back and breathing on your neck. You looked up, seeing Tao standing there. He wrapped his arms around you and twisted the key, opening the door for you. You hurriedly pushed through his arms and entered the door, and retreated to the bathroom. Things were getting weird. Why was he getting so touchy? You didn’t really like skin ship, especially with a guy you’ve just met. Not to mention a guy that was totally pissed at you the day before for spilling food on him.

You silently brushed your teeth and changed into your pajamas, pushing the thought aside.

Once you left the bathroom, you were greeted by a howling cat.

“SHHH Pickles be quiet!” You said lifting a finger to mouth. He looked up at you, tilting his head to the side.

You bent down and opened your arms.

“Come here Pickles~ I missed you so much today.” You said. Pickles ran up to you and started rubbing his head on your knee. You picked him up and held him close.

You heard a quiet laugh and looked over at Tao sitting on his bed, watching you.

“You sure do like that cat, don’t you?” He asked, amused. You made a face, but nodded.

“Yes, he means a lot to me. He’s the only family that I have.” You said scratching his chin.

He purred contently.

“How did you get him? Did you adopt him?” He asked.

You looked down, and decided that opening up to him was ok. You both needed to trust each other, and in order to do that he should know about your past as well.

“Well, it’s a long story. But I guess I can shorten it down for you. When I turned nineteen I decided that enough was enough. I was tired of being ridiculed by my family for my abilities. They only wanted to fix my ‘problem’ whereas I wanted to use it and embrace it. So the day I turned eighteen I moved out, and found a cheap apartment to stay at. I didn’t have a job at the time, so I would stare out the window of my apartment and I would see this cat looking for scraps. I never left my apartment because I was so afraid of being made fun of from people that I got close to. It really brought my self esteem down.

One day some children came to the alley and trapped him in a box. I watched them light firecrackers and drop them into the box. I could hear him howling from three stories above. And finally, I had a reason to leave my apartment. I rescued this cat, and I brought him home. He sits with me when I read, sleeps with me, and he purrs. But, every once in a while, he will bite me or scratch me. He does this because he forgets that he is safe and loved. So I forgive him when he bites me, because I know what it is like to never feel safe, and I also know what it is like to not have anyone to care about you, and no one that loves you.”

Your eyes began to fog up at the memories you had tried to forget. But your life with your parents was a story that was for another time. Those memories were just too painful to bring up.

Tao looked speechless.

“I’m so sorry Grace. Pickles was lucky that you saved him. That was really kind of you.” He smiled sadly, seeing how depressed you were.

She needs someone to protect her, as well.

“Well anyways, that’s how I found him. And we’ve been best friends since.” You said, pushing back your emotions.

You set Pickles on the top bunk and climbed up after him.  

Pulling the covers up around you, you glanced down at Tao. 

"Goodnight Tao. Thanks a lot for today. I'm really excited for tomorrow." You smiled, and closed your eyes. 

"Goodnight." He replied, turning out the lights. 

Tao lay down on his bed, and laced his hands together.

I think that she has been through a lot. Hopefully she will open up to me once we become closer.