Training/partners

The Bigger the Dog, the Harder it Bites

(A/N: Sorry for the short chapters recently guys- I will be updating this one soon, and trying to make them longer. Enjoy~)

You looked at Mi Do, and thankfully she was wearing something similar to you.

“Woah~ I never would have thought that Tao was the ert type.” Mi Do cooed as she dragged you to the training auditorium.

“And what was he calling you? Jagiya? Omo~”

“Will you stop it? It’s not like he actually meant it.” You retorted, getting self conscious.

“Or did he?” She said, raising an eyebrow mischievously. You rolled your eyes.

“Oh yeah! Did you have any breakfast yet?” Mi Do asked, stopping in her tracks.

 “Now that you mention it- I actually haven’t. I was kind of held up this morning.”

“Well, if we have breakfast now we’re going to be late for training. And since we’re the newbies, they have higher expectations. Here, for now just eat this.” Mi Do said, handing you an apple. You took it, thankful.

“Thanks Mi Do~” You said smiling.

“Yup. No problem.” As you both made your way to the auditorium, you ate your apple quickly, trying to finish it. Once you reached the core, you spotted a garbage can and tossed it.

“We’re here!” Mi Do said, opening the gym doors.

Once you entered, there stood Director Kim, in a suite and tie.

“Where is everyone?” You asked him, seeing that only you three stood in the gym.

“Actually- you guys are lucky. You are currently the only trainees we have, so you get one on one training. Firstly, I’ll explain what you are both going to be doing here.” Mr. Kim said, motioning to a table that was placed in the middle of the gym.

“Take a seat.” He said.

You both sat down hesitantly, and waited for instruction.

“Well, as you both know, you were both scouted to come here because you both have a special gift.”

You looked over at Mi Do. She had a special gift? You wondered what it was.

“Grace can talk with the dead. Not only that, but once the 48 hour mark has hit, and she can no longer talk with them, she can take evidence and quickly find the criminal. Mi Do on the other hand-“He began, turning to Mi Do.

“-has an excellent photographic memory, and is extremely agile. She can also hack into any computer system easily.” He said proudly.

Mi Do gave a small smile.

“It’s nothing compared to your gift, though.” She said to you.

“Are you kidding? I wish I could trade you.” You said back.

“None the less- you both are very talented, and I’m glad that I was able to acquire your gifts by hiring you both. Ok, now for step one. Matching you up with your partner. I know that since you are both new here, you would probably want to partner together? Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way.”

You both pouted.

“The way the partnering system works is very complicated. You each have special talents, but your partner is meant to cover up in the areas that your talents lack. If you are in a tight situation, and your talents do not match what you need to get out of the situation, your partner will help you out. You basically will always have each other’s backs.” Director Kim said informatively.

You both gave a nod of understanding, and Mr. Kim began to talk again.

“But the hardest part of this process is actually finding a partner that matches you. So we are going to test you out today and try to find your partner. Then you can begin training with them.” He said standing up.

“Luckily for you two- our researchers think that they have already found you both matching partners. This saves us the time of training and testing you. Come on out boys.” He said.

You and Mi Do looked at each other expectantly. Boys? Maybe you would get a cute partner?

You both squealed excitedly. Mr. Kim gave you a questioning look. That excitement slowly faded to a whimper when you saw who walked out.

First Kai walked out, with a smug grin on his face.

“Mi Do-yah~” He sang, running up to her. “We’re partners!” He said giving her a squeeze. She groaned loudly in annoyance.

Then Tao walked out and you mentally face palmed. Of course I get stuck with this guy. He glared at you, slowly walking up to you with his hands in his pockets.

Mi Do gave you a pitying look.

Sorry.” She mouthed as Kai squeezed her. 

You lazily turned to Mr. Kim, already out of energy remembering what had happened earlier that morning.

“Mr. Kim, I think you made a mistake.” You said groaning.

“Don’t worry Grace, I know it seems bad now, but you two will eventually get along just fine.” He said smiling. You pursed your lips.

You glanced up at the tall guy as he towered over you. Why does he have to be my partner? Partners are supposed to have each other’s back, but all this guy can do is glare at me.”

 “Alright, now let me explain why you were partnered up.” Mr. Kim began.

“Mi Do, you’re agile and have a good memory, and Kai is a good fighter. If you need to hack into a system or flip through some files, Kai will have your back to take down anyone that tries to stop you. If you really are not compatible, then tell me and I can change your partners. But for now, give each other your phone numbers so you can contact each other.” He said.

Mr. Kim then turned to you and Tao.

“Grace, we all know what you are capable of, but I believe that with Tao’s guidance and instruction, you can learn even more. Tao is an excellent martial artist, and is also very good at wushu. Kai and Tao will give you both some self defense instruction for today’s lesson. You never know, but sometimes you might be in a bad spot and your partner might not be there to save you. So you need to be able to rely on yourself.”

Tao gave you a questioning look. Pfft. There’s no way she’ll ever be able to protect herself. I mean, look at her. He thought, glancing at your small and frail frame.

Luckily she has me as a partner. Otherwise, she'd be in trouble.

He thought, smiling and crossing his arms.

You made a tough guy look, squinting your eyes and trying to look mean, getting ready for some major - kicking on Tao’s behalf.

Tao saw this, and thought it was especially cute. His eyebrows rose and his cheeks turned red.

Kyeopta~ He thought, smiling a little.

Aish- No. Don’t think like that. Shaking his head, he left the thought at that.

“Alright- I’ll leave you guys to it then.” Mr. Kim said, and left the gym.

You and Mi Do turned to your instructors.

“Come on Mi Do~ let’s begin our lesson.” Kai said dragging Mi Do to one end of the gym. It was really quiet, so there was an echo. But the silence was nice. You had the entire gym to yourselves.

“So-“ You began, looking up at Tao. You cracked your knuckles and stretched your arms.

“-when do we begin?”

Tao smirked.

“What?” You asked, puffing out your cheeks.

“Nothing.” He said. “Follow me.”

You both walked over to a section of the gym where mats were on the ground.

“Safety first.” Tao said looking at your small frame yet again.

“Hey, I may be small but I’m pretty strong.” You said, warning him.

He held up his hands in defense.

“Uh-oh, go easy on me.”

You rolled your eyes at his sarcasm.

You both heard a laugh from the other side of the gym, and turned to see Mi Do and Kai laying on the ground laughing.

“Looks like they’re getting along ok.” You said.

“Anyways- I’m ready.” You said, looking up at Tao.

“Ok, well I guess we can start with the basics. I’ll teach you how to throw someone over your shoulder. So first, if someone comes behind you like this-“

Tao began, and walked behind you.

“And puts their arm around your neck like this-“

He said, wrapping one of his arms around your neck tightly. You could still breathe, but it was uncomfortable. You couldn’t help but notice how strong his arm was. He moved his head in, so your cheeks were almost touching.

“Then you need to somehow get them off of you, right?” You squirmed uncomfortably in his arms, and he was enjoying every minute of it.

Suddenly his hold on you released and he faced you again.

“In order to do that, you need to adjust your weight so that your legs are the strongest frame of your body. Once you pull a man onto your back, a light girl like you has to be ready for a heavy weight.” He said seriously.

“Let me show you first. Come up from behind me and do what I just did to you.”

You nodded, and walked behind Tao. You immediately faced a dilemma. He was too tall, so you couldn’t reach him.

“Uhh- I’m having a little trouble.” You said, attempting to jump up, but you still couldn’t reach his neck area correctly.

He laughed and bent down until you could reach him.

You hesitantly took hold of his neck with one arm like he had done to you.

“Ok, good. Now the first step is to take hold of your attackers forearm, like this.” He said, taking his hand and grabbing the arm you had around his neck.

“Next step is to bend your knees, but I obviously am already. Then push up as you pull on their arm. Once they are on your back, you need to quickly shift their weight and throw them to the ground. Like this-“ He said, and quickly performed the move on you. You weren’t exactly ready at the moment, and you hit the ground hard. Your breath escaped your lungs and you whimpered painfully.

Tao’s eyes flew open in shock.

“Aish- I’m sorry! I thought you were ready!” He exclaimed worriedly, helping you up to a sitting position.

Even if I was ready, it still would have happened. You thought angrily.

You weren’t angry at Tao, more at yourself for being so weak.

You took a quick glance at Mi Do and Kai, and  sighed in relief, glad that they hadn’t seen the accident.

“Never mind. Just teach me how to do it right.” You said through gasps, and stood up shakily.

Tao grabbed your arm, hoping that you wouldn’t fall. You looked up at his worried face, and you were glad that he was no longer being mean to you.

---------      

"Ok, I think i'm ready."

You looked up at Tao and he nodded back.

“You haven’t completely mastered it, but I think that you’ve gotten pretty good.” He replied.

“Now the next step is completing the move on somebody successfully. Hyung!” Tao called over to Kai.

Kai looked over. He and Mi Do were still practicing as well.

“Come over here. Grace wants to see if she can pull off the first move.”

Kai ran over.

“Grace, are you really sure you can do this?” Kai asked raising an eyebrow.

You nodded and puffed out your cheeks seriously.

“Awww~ Kyeopta. Grace is so cute when she puffs out her cheeks.” Kai said pinching your cheek.

Tao glared at him menacingly.

“Yah- Don’t do that.” You whined pulling off his hand.

He chuckled.

“Ok. So you want to try the move now?”

“Yes, I think I’m ready.” You said confidently.

Mi Do ran over to watch.

“Grace, fighting!” She said giving you a thumbs up. You smiled back.

Suddenly, Kai came up from behind and wrapped his arm around your neck, but this time you were ready for him. You followed Tao’s instruction and grabbed his forearm, shifting your weight and pushing up using your knees. Kai immediately fell forward on the mat.

“Waaah! That was amazing Grace!” Mi Do exclaimed, beginning to clap along with Tao.

Hah. Serves him right for grabbing her cheek like that. Tao thought.  

“Kai, why haven’t I been able to master that yet?” Mi Do complained, turning to Kai.

“I guess Tao is just a better teacher than I am.” Kai said, standing up.

“Nice job hyung.” He said to Tao.

You all spent the rest of the day learning new techniques until you had learned many different self defense moves.

“Come on Grace, let’s go get a shower.” Mi Do said grabbing your arm and dragging you away.

“Thank you, Tao.” You said smiling, and followed Mi Do out.

He smiled back sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. Kai looked at him suspiciously.

“Hey Hyung, do you like Grace?” He asked skeptically, looking Tao in the eyes.

Tao’s eyes flew open.

“W-what? Like her? Why would I like her?” He stuttered awkwardly looking away.

“Hmm. Well just because you seemed to get along really well and… this morning was pretty weird as well.” Kai said doubtfully, shaking his head as he thought back to earlier that morning.

“Wait- what happened this morning? What do you mean?” Tao asked becoming serious.

“Well… This morning I saw your door open and heard some struggling going on, so I assumed something bad was happening, you know?” Kai began.

“So I poked my head in and saw you- uh…”

“Saw me what? Just tell me!”

He paused.

“I saw you holding onto Grace. You were smelling her hair and stuff. I tried to pry you off of her but you wouldn’t let go, so I had to run out and get Mi Do to help. When we came back you had completely wrapped your arms around her and you were saying some weird things..”

“WHAT? WHAT WEIRD THINGS?” Tao boomed, becoming nervous.

“Things like, My Jagiya smells good. Or something like that.” Kai said looking away, obviously feeling uncomfortable.

“I SAID THAT? Aisssh- she must think that I’m a total ert!” He wailed, ruffling his hair.

“To be honest, at the time I was kind of thinking the same thing.” Kai said innocently.

“What am I going to do?” Tao moaned worriedly.

“Well, you have two options in my opinion. One, tell her that it was a mistake and that you didn’t mean it. Or two- if you actually did mean to do it then just make sure not to do it again.” Kai said giving a small shrug.

“What do you mean if I did mean to do it? Of COURSE it was an accident!”

“Well, whatever you do decide to do, I would make sure you find a way of waking up in the morning. The whole reason that happened was because she was worried that you would be late because you wouldn’t wake up.”

“She was worried? About me?” Tao asked, brightening up.

“Hyung- you’ve practically only known her for 24 hours. And don’t you remember that she dropped dukbokki all over your suit?”

“Oh yeah. Well all has been forgiven.” He said happily.

“Aish. You do like her, don’t you? How is that even possible? You don’t even know her last name!” Kai said, dumbfounded.

“Ever heard of love at first sight?” Tao asked.

“Yeah, but I don’t believe in it.” Kai responded.

 

--------

 

“So, are you happy with your partner?” Mi Do asked after you had both finished your showers. You were walking to the cafeteria for some dinner.

“Well, I mean he’s not bad. But I just can’t stop thinking about this morning.” You groaned, rubbing your temple.

“What about you? You and Kai seem to get along great.” You added, giving her a smirk.

“He is cute- I’m honestly lucky to have him for a partner. He seems to be very loyal, and from what I’ve heard from other agents here you really do need a loyal partner, someone that won’t leave you behind.” Mi Do said critically.

“Speaking of that, Tao told me that tomorrow is going to be our first day doing Crime Scene investigation work. I’m super excited.” You said happily.

“Oh yeah- I heard about that as well. Isn’t there currently a serial killer on the loose?” She responded, opening the cafeteria door.

You nodded, and grabbed a tray.

“Oh no!” Mi Do wailed, and turned to you.

“It’s meatloaf night tonight.”

“So what? Meatloaf isn’t that bad.” You said, but inwardly cringed.

“The cook takes anything left over from the week and basically puts it all together, calling it meatloaf. Yuck.” She said, making a face.

As the meatloaf was served to you, you grabbed a water bottle and decided that you weren’t that hungry.

Once you finished in line you waited for Mi Do.

“Hey guys- over here!” Kai called, standing up and waving his hands in the air like a maniac.

You both rolled your eyes and made your way to the same table that you had sat at the night before for dinner.

You walked over, trying to balance the food on your plate with one hand while holding your water bottle with the other. Not a good idea.

You both received dirty looks from many girls as you passed by, and once you had almost reached the table you tripped.

You realized that one of the girls had stuck out their foot and without noticing you tripped over it.

Man, some spy you were.

Your breath caught in your throat, and your food went plummeting to the ground, splattering everywhere. Hearing a few girls giggling at your clumsiness, you braced yourself for the embarrassment that would follow, but before you could fall as well, someone caught you.

You fell into strong arms, your face burying into a strong chest.

You looked up.

“Tao?”

Instead of saying anything snobby, he straightened you out and patted your head.

“Careful there, Grace. You might hurt yourself.”

Your face turned red and you looked down, trying to get your heart to beat normally.

“I-I’m sorry. I spilled my food everywhere. I should have watched where I was going.” You muttered, humiliated.

“Actually, you should have watched where you were putting your foot.” Tao said angrily to the girl that had tripped you.

“W-what? Me? I didn’t trip her.” She said, mortified at the accusation.

“Come on now. I’m not blind. I saw you put your foot there. Don’t do it again, or else.” Tao threatened, glaring at her.

Her eyes opened wide in horror, and she looked completely flustered. She quickly stood up and ran out of the cafeteria, a few girls following quietly behind.

You bent down timidly, reaching for the tray, but Tao grabbed your wrist.

“Don’t worry about that, the janitor will take care of it.” He smiled, and motioned for you to take a seat.

You nodded sheepishly, and obediently sat down, letting your hair fall down in front of your face. You could feel everyone in the cafeteria watching you.

“You want something to eat? I can go get it for you.” Tao said, about to stand up.

“No, that’s fine. I’ve lost my appetite.”

Since when has he been so nice to me? We barely know each other.