Is It Really Worth It?

Child's Play

 

   Beaten down to the floor and covered in blood an bruises I found my self listening to screaming. Words like knives rolled out of their royal lips accusing me of tainting perfection. 
   "How dare you even go near him don't you know what you are?!? Do you really believe he stands by your side because he likes you, he's just with you out of pity! Don't tie him down any longer when he comes your way turn around. We don't want to see you next to him again you got that?!?" The girl standing in front of said with a last kick to my side to get her point across.
  The only thing that kept me aware of the pain numbing my body were the tears descending from my eyes. Breathing no longer seemed like something you simply do, but now just attempting to, was a struggle. With a trembling hand I tried to wipe away the blood oozing out of my busted lips, but that did nothing for the wound just produced more and more of the crimson liquid that now stained my white polo shirt. My bruised legs were useless and standing seemed like just an urban legend to me at the moment, so I laid there letting tears and blood stream down my face. 
   How stupid had I'd been trying to cling to the illusion of something that clearly would never be mine. No I won't go near him again, he'll revive the hope in my heart and aid the resurrection of the feelings I buried away long ago. I'd be damned if I get played with again, and I'll be damned forever thinking that his smile is worth all of the pain my body has been put through today. 
   Laughing at my idiotic aspirations of happiness and taking note of the solitude that now accompanied me,  I let the sobbing I was holding back escape my lips. Openly crying out of pain during the assaults had always proven to be as death sentence signed in puddles of blood, torn skin, and greater patches of blue and black displayed cross my sore body. 
   It could have been minutes or even hours I could really care less at the moment when I heard the distinct squeaking of tennis shoes skidding on the floor, followed by the pitter patter of a sprint headed my way. If more was to come at this point I could care the least bit and I sat there bracing myself for the impact of a fist of even a foot to come my way but neither came. Clutching my sides and holding my tears I waited for a brutal hit but all a got was a chain of questions filled with worry you along with soothing words filled with hope. "What happened? Who did this to you? You know what that doesn't matter right now we have to get you help. I swear who ever did this to you is gonna have to deal with me." I felt the warmth of his finger tips graze my face placing the strands of hair drenched in blood covering by face to the side. Bringing me closer to him opening his arms to provide the warmth and safety they had to offer I cringed "no get away..get away... don't...please don't...go away!!!" A single step was was his response and a relieved sigh escaped my lips, he really is smart. Get away don't come near me please I'll just cause you trouble. Don't deal with me I'm not worth it turn around and walk away with put stealing a single glance back at me. None of my words past through my lips but were seen through my teary eyes. He deliberately shook his head and took me in his arms, what a stupid boy. 
   "I'm sorry...I'm sorry... I'm sorry" these words were repeated into my ear was the embrace continued. What a stupid person what did he ever do? Why is he sorry, when all he did was be nice? It's me who should be apologizing for being so useless but above all greedy. Greedy because I don't want this embrace to end. Greedy because I still want to be friends. And letting go of my fears and embracing that greed I brought my bruised arms to hold him closer to me. "Please don't leave me....be my friend...don't go...don't go...stay." 
"And that's all you ever needed to say."