Why Do You Stay?

Child's Play

 (A/N) I would really like to thank all of those who have subscribed to this story. Please do not hesitate to leave me a comment. I'd love to know how everyone feels about the story. Thanks again fo reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

  Breathing that's what I was the only thing I had been doing all through out the beginning of my tormented life. Breathing was the only thing that wasn't I couldn't be a failure at. Breathing is all I did, but now that I see him approach me everyday, never leaving, always coming back I feel like I can finally live. I thought he'd leave with my bruises, but as the last wound that marred my skin vanished he still stayed giving me that goofy puppy smile.
   Words were never easy to say, and my hidden face was hard to read but he still stayed. He'd tell me about anything and everything from the adventure filled days he promised to have with me, to the boring lunch breaks where he'd wish for something delicious to eat. Listening to his soothing voice was always a bliss and after a while I felt indebted. He had so much to offer and all I have back was a silent nod or a mumble for an answer, and that confused me.
 "Why do you stay by my side?" I asked him in a whisper one day during lunch. He who was laying on the soft green grass under the shadow of the linden tree, letting the comforting breeze play with his hair, only answered,"Because you asked me to stay." That sentence made my heart ache, but if that was it I'd rather let him leave. "And if I'd ask you to leave?"
   Opening his eyes and giving me a stern look, "I wouldn't, I'd still stay."
  "Why?" The question left my lips before I could even think.
   "Because I want to, and I am a man who does as he pleases. And staying pleases me." He answered with a confident smile.
   Not knowing how to replay to that I just said, "oh."
   "That and because I like you!" My face reddened. " What you don't like me?" He said sounding shocked and disappointed.
   "No!!!...I uh no it-it's not like that." The sound of his scoff filled the air, and panic entered my heart. "But you just basically asked me to leave!"he argued back.
"It really isn't like that. I-I-I uh like you too!!!" I covered my face after saying that.
  "Well I don't believe you." His words almost brought me to tears. Sniffing the tears my eyes away I asked him in a pleading tone, "What will it take for you to believe me?"
   The leafs rustled as he got to his feet, shutting my eyes thinking he finally had enough of putting up with me I tried to hold my tears in.
   "Come here." I heard him say, and opening my eyes I saw as he patted the spot in front of where he was now sitting. My heartbeat sped up, and with hesitant steps I moved away from the shade and sat in the sunlit spot.
   I tensed up as soon as his fingers began running through my hair getting rid of knots and any leafs stuck to it. A soft hum vibrated next to my ears as he began to braid my hair. Caring hands braided my hair, and when the last strand of hair was neatly tucked away, with a pretty white ribbon he got from his pocket he secured the end of it. Not letting the end go before he brought it to  his lips and kissed, it he looked me in the eyes once again.
   "Now that I can see you, tell me again that you like me." He said with a big smile.
   No longer having my hair to cover my blushing face I looked down. I fiddled with the end of my skirt feeling way too self conscious to even think of saying that again. I felt one of his hands bring my restless hands to a stop as he held them, while the other lifted my chin. "Say it."
  Gulping I took a deep breath, " I like you." At that he smiled brightly and pulled me into his arms. " I really do like you." I said realizing just how much I really meant those words.
   " I feel the same way, can't you tell?" He said taking a hold of one of my hands and bringing it to his chest, letting my feel the accelerated pace at which his heart was beating. "Let me stay with you forever."
   With a simple nod the gates to my heart opened only to find him already residing there