Little Obsessions

30-Day No Coke! Challenge

                Every person has their own petty obsession—that one point of insanity we claim allows us to stay sane. For some people it could be food like pizza, lollipops, or ice cream. For others, probably a comic, cartoon, or book series. It could be that unstoppable urge to shop. For fangirls it was obviously whatever they’d fangirl about day and night. And for Yong Junhyung, it was Coke.

                Many people knew that the rapper was a rabid fan of the carbonated liquid in the shiny red can. Even the fans were aware, and they created GIFs of it and thought the obsession was cute. What they didn’t know was how serious it actually was. The Beast dorm was filled with Coke cans. The trash bags couldn’t hold the number of empty cans poured into them every day, and the members were sometimes afraid to touch the refrigerator, as they might upset the balance of Junhyung’s carefully stacked cans and have them toppling over. Four Beast boys didn’t bother with Junhyung and his soda; as long as he was perfectly fine then there was no problem.

                And then there was Yoseob. He was getting increasingly frustrated with the rapper’s addiction. Since he stayed in the living room often, he caught the times when Junhyung would go from the bedroom to the kitchen and back, always with a new can in hand. The boy could no longer count the number of times with his fingers, and each time Junhyung went to the kitchen, he swore he could hear a tiny voice from the rapper’s head, “Coke, Coke, Coke, Coke, Coke.” The members had witnessed a moment when Coke Boy forgot to replenish his stash of soda, only to find out that the store near them was all out of it as well, well that sight was not pretty, and they learned to fear the consequences of Coke deprivation. It took a while for Yoseob to conquer that fear, seeing that the rest of the members were contented with the obsession, so long as no potentially harmful situation arose. And one day he took action.

 

                Junhyung yawned, dragging his feet out of the bedroom. It was a free day for him, and for Dongwoon and Yoseob as well. Doojoon and Hyunseung had already gone to their schedules, and Kikwang was getting ready to leave.

                “Good morning, hyung,” Yoseob chirped from the living room, peeking up from his book. “Breakfast is on the table.”

                “I’ll pass,” Junhyung mumbled and went straight to the kitchen. Seeing this, Yoseob returned to his book. A few minutes. Then…

                “Yah! Where’s my Coke!” Junhyung’s loud voice rattled the entire dorm. He slammed the fridge door shut and stormed to the living room, waiting for an answer. “Where’s my Coke?” he demanded again.

                “I threw it away,” Yoseob answered in a calm and confident voice, trying to hide the fear that chilled his bones.

                “What?” Junhyung’s voice was louder.

                “I threw it away. Lower your voice, hyung.” Yoseob put his book down and looked at the rapper.            

                “Why’d you do that? I had two weeks’ worth in there!”

                “You drink it too much.”

                “So you just… just disposed it? All of it?”

                Yoseob nodded. It was as simple as that.

                “Those weren’t yours, pabo! What’s your problem?”

                “My problem is you have a problem!” Yoseob’s voice was growing louder as well. Dongwoon poked his head out from the bedroom, watching quietly. Similarly, Kikwang looked on from the door of the dressing room. Yoseob began to rethink his plan. It might not have been a good idea to do it when the two older ones were out and the younger half of the group left to fend for themselves.

                “Well, my problems don’t concern you! You thief! You need to pay me back what I’ve spent for the cans you threw away!”

                “I am not going to pay you for your own health!”

                Junhyung had moved closer to the younger boy, rage burning in his eyes. “My fans are going to hate you when they hear of this, Yang Yoseob!” he threatened.

                “Your fans are going to love me when I ensure that you don’t die of diabetes, hyung!” Yoseob’s voice was at its loudest, and he had stood up to face the rapper head on.

                “Hmph.” Junhyung dropped down to sit on the floor, arms folded across his chest and face scowling. “What am I supposed to drink now, huh?” His tone was much softer.

                “It’s called water.” Yoseob sat beside him, inwardly pleased that the shouting was over and he appeared to have won the battle. “It’ll do wonders for your health.” He pat the older one’s back consolingly.

                The rapper squirmed away and glared at him. “Don’t think I’m not angry with you, Yoseob.”

                Sighing, the younger boy leaned back on his arms. “I know, I’m sorry. But I’m doing this for you.”

                The glare disappeared and his expression turned much kinder. In fact, Junhyung looked so helpless that Yoseob almost felt guilty. There was a small pout on Junhyung’s lips and his eyes were clouded with trouble.

                “Here’s my plan, hyung,” Yoseob continued. “Nothing but water for a month. You need to start drinking water again.”

                “Then I can have Coke again after a month?” His face lit up with hope.

                “One can every three weeks. That’s your maximum.”

                Junhyung slouched. “Who do you think you are, giving me stupid rules like this?” he grumbled.

                “I’m your dongsaeng that loves you very much!” Yoseob grinned, but Junhyung ignored it. “I’ll take this challenge with you, hyung. Nothing but water for me for a month as well.”

                “Whatever.” The rapper stood up and started toward the bathroom. “You do know how easy it is for me to buy more Coke, right?”

                Yoseob went back to the couch. “You know there’s no place to hide anything here in the dorm. One of us is bound to catch you.” He chuckled when Junhyung simply sighed and closed the bathroom door. Of course Yoseob had thought of the possibility that Junhyung would have his Coke outside the dorm, when no members could see him, but somehow he wasn’t worried. He smiled to himself and went back to the page of the book he was reading.

                “Good job, Seobie,” Kikwang said as he approached him a moment later. “Dongwoon already texted the hyungs of your success, and they approve.”

                Yoseob beamed. “Good luck at your filming! Take care of yourself.” He gave Kikwang a high five and the latter stepped out of the dorm.

                Later on, Dongwoon lay down on the floor at the foot of the couch, looking up at the virtual maknae. “How’d you do it, hyung?”

                “Do what?” He looked back at the maknae.

                “That. What you did to Junhyung hyung.”

                “Junhyung hyung sounds funny,” Yoseob laughed.

                Dongwoon smiled. “We were all afraid to even think of doing what you did. Weren’t you afraid?”

                “I think I’m the most afraid of all, Dongwoon.” He sighed. “You know I don’t like fights within the group, and I am so scared of Junnie hyung when he gets angry.”

                “So how’d you do it?”

                “I don’t know. I think my concern for his wellbeing overcame that fear.” He smiled.

                Dongwoon nodded thoughtfully, eyes shining. Then he sat up. “I’m going to the market. Anything I can get for you?”

                “Nope, nothing. Take care.”

                After pulling on a hoodie, Dongwoon grabbed his phone and left for the market, leaving the rapper and vocalist with the dorm to themselves. Yoseob stayed clear of the irritable rapper for the rest of the morning. When he peeked into the bedroom a few hours later, he found Junhyung motionless on his bed, grumbling incoherent statements.

                “Lunch, hyung!” He stood at the doorway and pulled off the cheeriest tone he could muster.

                Junhyung didn’t even look at him. “Pass.”

                Yoseob wouldn’t have this for an answer. He stormed to the foot of Junhyung’s bed and tugged at his hand, moving him an inch or two. “Lunch. Now.”

                Junhyung grumbled again and rolled his eyes, but he got up. “I don’t know what’s gotten into you that now you think you can be so forceful.”

                “You don’t complain anyway.” They sat at the table.

                “Not in the mood to. You took away my source of energy.” He shoved a spoonful into his mouth.

                “You just think that.” Yoseob chuckled and stood up to go to the kitchen. He returned with two full glasses of water.

                Junhyung sighed at the clear liquid before him. Yoseob sat back down, waiting for something to happen. The rapper looked miserably at his fingers that clutched the glass, then brought it to his lips and downed a big gulp.

                Yoseob smiled and ate silently.

 

-----------

a/n: this chapter's a bit long~ but I hope it was good! ^^ Nyahahaha, Yoseob's being so forceful, but it's for Jun's sake anyway, so it's alright xD Comments are loved! :)