Chapter One

Summer Escapade

 

 

 

 

Posted Image




Hello, hello
I brought up the courage
Hello, hello
I want to talk to you for a moment
Hello, hello
I may be rushing a bit
Who knows? We might end up doing well






Someone suddenly pulled both earphones out allowing me to hear the too noisy cafeteria. I turned my head, my eyebrows rose demanding to see who was crazy enough to intrude upon my 'Shinee reflection' hour. I was too immersed in the music, my head bobbing up and down not caring if people thought I was way out of my head. My bestfriend Yumi looked at me, a small snicker escaping .

"What is up with you woman?" I demanded. And I was so into the music too. I was internalizing Taemin’s parts too. My the kid has indeed grown up. It was so amazing to hear him sing now. I swear his voice is the smex. 

"Dude you do realize that you look like some crazy fangirl in the middle of white people singing something no one understands right? I mean despite the fact that your asian, it’s still weird," she said as if she wasn’t used to me already. 

"Psh and I thought you said you were 22 years old," she added as if saying something about my age would make a difference. 

"I am. I just can't help it if I feel like fangirling. Besides their music is super good. Didn't I explain myself to you like a bazillion times already?" I said sticking out my tongue. Childish I know but I don’t care.

God my bestfriend is so clueless sometimes. Just because she's one of the hottest and most mature woman I know doesn't mean she can't associate with someone who likes to fangirl. Besides so what if I'm on my junior year in university? I appreciate good music thank you very much. 

"So where are we spending summer vacation this time around?" she asked while spooning some weird substance I have no idea what and I prefer not to know. Her and her weird diet food things. 

"Korea," I said with a giant smile on my face.

"You have got to be kidding me!" she said in surprise, her food everywhere as she spewed it out from shock.

I looked at her. 

"Eww Yumi. That was seriously nasty."

"Why in God's name are we going to Korea?" she said, still flabbergasted. 

"I want to uhh go back to where my roots originated . . ?" I said, ruining the smug effect by letting my sentence hang.

"Your roots my . Seriously Jong Mi. For all the years you've been in this world you've never ever wanted to go to Korea and now this. I bet this has something to do with your Shinee obsession. Get over it. They're a bunch of boys who make good music and that's it. What dyou hope to accomplish by going there?" she asked me.

Well there was some truth to that. But I don't care. I want to see these guys perform in person and they were all over the place promoting their new album. Perhaps we could catch a concert or like watch them perform in some mall or something. I heard they do those things there. Forget SMTown. At least, I get to tour Korea and see them more than once. Granted I’d watch every night in one concert. But still, going to Korea would be more awesome. 

"You have to come with me Yumi. You know I can't go anywhere without you right? My parents practically worship the ground you walk on. You're like my only hope of being able to go to Korea."

It would not be the first time we're going outside of the country. We've been to Italy and we also went on a cruise on the Caribbean before. I was allowed to go anywhere without my parents if I was with her. Apparently these rich people stick together. I'm not saying we're rich, just a little more well-off than others. My father knowing Yumi's family also is on the same grid (you know like the social status or something like that) allowed me to become friends with her. We've known each other since junior year in high school. She was half Japanese, half white. She matured way earlier than I did. Physically I mean.

Well maybe she was mature like in the head too. I can't help it if I still act like I'm 16. I don't want to be old too soon. Growing up, I had to be emotionally stable as my family encountered problems left and right and I was supposed to understand and just accept everything. I was supposed to be strong so I guess when I went to University and everything settled down, the kid Jong Mi came out. 

Talk about reversing time.

"I don't know Jong Mi. I'm not sure about that. I told Jin I would spend summer with him," she said, her brows wrinkling thinking about her summer plans. Akanishi Jin, or Jin was is Yumi's boyfriend of six months. I'd like to think they're not together. I hate him with a passion. He's so full of himself and so damned arrogant it was a pain being in the same room. All he knew was him, him, cars, him, cars, and did I mention himself?

Apparently, he thought Yumi and I were some lesbian couple the first time he met Jong Mi since we were always together and we held hands together. He thought I was competition. 

I mean seriously. He's got some issues.

It doesn't help that I drive a better car than he does. I snickered silently to myself thinking about that little piece of information. He could be mad all he wants but it still doesn't change the fact that I have the better car. Ha!

To sum it up, he's an idiot and I don't understand why Yumi likes him but whatever. To each his own.

"Jin can wait. Besides it's only four weeks Yumi. That's all I'm asking. After four weeks I promise not to 'intrude' upon your Jin time. You can have for all I care," gesturing the quotation marks on the word intrude. She hated it when I call her when she's on her dates with him. Apparently I've almost always interrupted them when they're doing something steamy or something. I rolled my eyes.

"Jin won't disappear. And if he does, good. Pick one of those hot guys who send love letters to you or something. We both know there's plenty of choices."

"I'll ask my parents. And for the record, if he leaves me, I'm not gonna go find someone else like in a flash you dumbo," she said hitting me in the head as she stood up from her seat.

"We have got to be going otherwise we're going to be late," She was always on time to everything.

So this decision to go to Korea has actually been thought out a lot. I thought about it ever since a month ago. And no. I did not start liking Shinee a month ago. What am I? Made of money that I can burn anytime I want to? I’ve liked them for like close to a year now and have been a fan of kpop for quite some time. I want- No! I NEED me some kpop artists in the flesh.

Oh come on! The summer vacation is such a good excuse to get out of here. Away from my parents hawk-like watch of me. It’s starting to get annoying. Seriously. 





That night I decided to tell my parents about my vacation plans.

“Why are you going to Korea again?” my father asked, an amused smile on his lips. My parents were both full blooded Koreans but they’ve never even set foot in their home country. They both grew up here in the States. Shame on you parents. They speak very little Korean too. Tsk, tsk. 

“Because it’s an interesting country. I’ve been to Hongkong and Japan already daddy so my next stop is Korea. Didn’t I tell you? I want to travel and set foot in all the countries of the world. I’m starting with Asian countries since it’s all I can afford at this time. Well, all you can afford at this time,” I said, correcting that last part since my mom gave me a look that spoke volumes about finances. My voice was full of conviction. I silently congratulated myself for sounding so NOT desperate. 

My father chuckled. He was clearly amused by my so-called passion. He knew of my ‘obsessions’ to put it lightly. He apparently knows of my not-so-hidden reasons of going to Korea. He was supportive of my love for Korean music saying something like ‘I’m proud of you for being immersed in our culture’ coupled with a pat in the back. My father is not one who is amused by me talking about guys, listening to guys, or looking at guys so it came as a shock when he approved of my Shinee craze. 

See? Lee Jinki and I are seriously meant to be. I refuse to call him Onew. Saying his real name makes me feel like we’re close, personally. Nevermind that he doesn’t know I exist, yet. 

I mean what other sign can I ask for? My dad’s practically pushing me towards him. I mean not literally. You know what I mean. 

“Darling you know she can’t go,” my mother said trying to sway my father. What a pain! Mind your own business mother! I mentally slapped my head. Why can’t she just keep quiet and give me my happiness. God she’s such a nag. Always.

“Dad,” I interrupted before my mother can say anything that would like give my father second thoughts and completely ruin it for me. 

“Yumi’s coming,” I said the magic words, even if she hasn’t agreed yet but I will make her agree.

Even if I had to drag her by the hair.

Yes. I am THAT obsessed. It’s a self-accepted fact.

“I’ll think about it Jong Mi. Your mother and I will talk about it,” he said signalling that the discussion has ended and will get back to me with a decision later. Whenever he feels like it. 




To say I was annoying to my father was a complete understatement. Everyday I’d drop by his office after school just hanging around technically not talking to him but making sure he was aware of my presence.

I am not pressuring him. 

I promise. 

A week after he said yes. 

See? Am I smart or what?



Korea, watch out! I'll give the word Sasaeng* a NEW meaning.










Shine Unnie*,

I’m arriving in a week’s time. You better get ready to show me around. Don’t forget to set up an appointment at the SM headquarters as soon as humanly possible. I don’t need to see mountains or whatever other places. I just need to see concerts and performances. Oh, I’m bringing Yumi with me. She’s seriously psycho like me so everything has to be in order. I’m counting on you Unnie. I finally get to see you again. We miss you. And yes you can have my clothes. I’ll leave them with you after I go shopping there God knows I need to update what’s in my closet. They’re so last season.

Ttyl~*


Always Awesome Jong Mi.