The Weakest

Finding Everest

"Because you all are in high school, we want to help you achieve your dream. Therefore, for this essay, we're going to stay on the topic of our goals and dreams. I would like for all of you to write an essay about why you desire to reach your dream and how you plan to get there," the language teacher, Mrs. Song, explained to the first-years. Daehyun played with his pencil by using his upper lip to balance it. He already knew what he was going to write: to become an idol.

I wonder what Jieun is going to put down, he thought, glancing behind him. He never really asked her what she wanted to become, but only knew that she liked composing songs or singing. Maybe a composer? Then we can work together in the future...

He suddenly blushed. What was he thinking now? He sighed quietly and dropped his pencil back on his desk. Mrs. Song examined the room, then gave the class a warm smile. She suddenly grabbed her chalk and threw a box. Then. she divided the box into smaller squares.

"Today, we are going to change seats!" Mrs. Song announced. Now, Daehyun was paying attention. He anxiously looked behind him, and caught eyes with Jieun. She smiled at him with hopeful eyes. Daehyun smiled. Knowing that she wanted to sit next to him made his chest feel fluffy and nice. "However, I will randomly write any numbers on the board. The cup of sticks over here have numbers written on them, which corresponds to the number on the board. No swapping, understand?"

Suddenly, a beautiful girl named Jiyeon raised her hand. "Teacher! Before we change seats, I think I saw Jieun steal something from the teacher's office."

Jieun shot her head up and gave the popular girl a wide look. Mrs. Song frowned at Jiyeon, until other girls and boys murmured in agreement.

"Yeah, the girl who looks suspicious really looked like Jieun."

"No one's surprised that she stole something. I bet that she stole the test answers!"

"Ugh, when will she stop stealing from others? It's annoying."

Jieun felt herself sink down in her seat. Her lips were trembling, and she was urging to deny the rumors. However, only a soft, inaudible whisper slipped out of her pink lips. She bit her tongue and stared at the teacher in shame.

"Jieun, is this true?" Mrs. Song asked, crossing her arms. Jieun shook her head.

"She's lying!" a cute boy named Taemin protested. Not only was he cute, but he was also quite popular with girls and among the guys. In short, he was a pretty influential guy. "I was with Jiyeon when I saw Jieun come out with a piece of paper in her jacket. She almost hid it, but I guess she thought that no one was watching."

Daehyun tightened his grip. Why were they aiming at Jieun now? Why couldn't they aim at her later in the day when Yoseob could protect her? His shoulders sank when he realized what he had just thought. Yoseob was always the guy who was protecting Jieun, mostly because she was targeted by his fan girls.

"Taemin, please be quiet. I'm talking to Jieun," Mrs. Song told him. She turned back to Jieun. "So you're saying it's not true? Jiyeon, when did this happen?"

"Oh, during the time that Jieun was walking around the hall way after the P.E teacher let us out early," Jiyeon answered. 

"That's impossible," a voice blurted from behind the door. Everyone turned their heads towards the man who was entering the room: Myungsoo. His terrifying glower made the ones who spoke up shudder in fear. 

"Who are you?" Mrs. Song asked. Myungsoo approached her with a folder in his hand. He gave her the folder and put his hand in his pocket.

"My name is Kim Myungsoo, and I'm a second-year. Actually, I was with Jieun when she finished P.E early. We were discussing about club matters and such. Daehyun was with us, too," Myungsoo explained. "Oh, and my teacher wanted you to read through this and complete this part of the paperwork by next week."

Mrs. Song stared at Daehyun. "Daehyun, is this true?"

Daehyun nodded his head without hesitation. That was definitely the truth. He even remembered Jieun's hand brushing against his when they were reading the lyrics that she had composed personally.

But that didn't seem to sway her heart or anything, Daehyun thought, glancing behind him. His eyes slightly widened when he realized that she had a look of relief and hope in her eyes. He frowned a bit and faced back at the teacher. Mrs. Song pressed her lips, then nodded her head.

"Okay, I believe you, Jieun," Mrs. Song said.

Myungsoo, who was about to go outside, paused for a moment. "Oh, and Jiyeon. One does not simply write threat notes on our club's door. Please do not direct it towards Jieun in any way. We caught you on tape with Taemin and this other girl with Baekhyun's new security footage. I would pound you right now, but I'd rather not."

Jiyeon's face turned red while Taemin awkwardly tried to look away from the students' stares. Myungsoo smirked, winked at Jieun, and left the room without bothering to wait for the student's reactions. Everyone broke into whispers, completely forgetting about how Jiyeon and Taemin tried to frame the innocent Jieun. Jieun smiled softly to herself, but frowned when she realized the trouble she caused for him.

I better go and apologize when I see him during our club meeting for today, she told herself, making sure to add a mental note.

Daehyun chewed on his fingernails irritatingly and quietly grumbled. Wish I was strong enough to protect her.

 

"With this delicate baton that I found on the ground yesterday night, I will tap it against this Baekhyun's head and call this meeting to order!"

"That's not a conducting baton, Yoseob. That's a stick from the ground. Idiot," Baekhyun muttered. Yoseob smacked the wooden stick against Baekhyun's head, causing him to yelp in pain. He clutched his head and groaned.

"Who's the idiot now?" Yoseob mocked, sticking out his tongue. "Anyways, I got some great news. However, let's hear how things are going with the band. Jieun, are the songs you've been composing coming well?"

Jieun flushed her cheeks. "U-Um, they kind of sound girly, so I'm planning to change it a bit... It'll probably be done by the time we have our club meeting on Saturday."

"Alright, you have a few days to finish it. Daehyun, how's your voice? Fine or do you think you're catching a cold? Any word from your dad about this?"

"My voice is fine, but my dad is still against me being a singer," Daehyun reported, heaving a sigh. "But I'm free of Saturday."

"Okay. Keep on working, Daehyun! Baekhyun, will we be able to record everything this weekend?"

"Everything's set. If things go well, I'm pretty sure that we can finish everything in around three hours. I can edit everything on Sunday," Baekhyun replied.

"Perfect! Now, Myungsoo. Are the instruments good to go or...?"

"Baekhyun broke a guitar string, Jieun made a scratch on the side of the piano, and Daehyun pulled off the wire from the microphone," Myungsoo blamed. The three people whose names were mentioned gave him a stingy look. Yoseob sighed and ran his fingers through his brown, fluffy hair. 

"We have two other guitars, so we're good with that. A scratch on the piano is fine, since we're not filming a music video. But the microphone..." Yoseob narrowed his eyes at the youngest. "Daehyun, how did that happen?"

Daehyun raised his hands up to his shoulders. "I swear that it was an accident! Really, it was an honest mistake! I was running around, running away from Myungsoo, but then he managed to push me and I tripped. I tried to grab something to support myself, and grabbed the microphone line and it just plucked off."

Yoseob studied Myungsoo for a moment. "So this was also partially your fault, right?"

Myungsoo put his foot on the table and shrugged his shoulders with a smirk. "What can I say? I was 'It.' We were playing a game of tag. You're the one who suggested us to play that game while you were scolding Baekhyun for having secret security cameras all over the house."

"In my defense, those cameras were an excellent source of protection," Baekhyun defended. "We finally caught those guys who get messing up with our doors, right?"

"Yeah, but since Myungsoo told the teacher about it, those three are suspended and now all of their friends hate Jieun," Yoseob pointed out.

"Why do they target Jieun when Myungsoo was the one who said something about it?" Daehyun asked.

"It's easier to target the weaker ones," Baekhyun said. "Myungsoo is a year older and is in a different class, so they can't do much. Picking on Jieun is easier since she doesn't speak for herself and is in the same class as the bullies."

Jieun lowered her head. "I'm so sorry..."

"It's not your fault, Jieun," Yoseob assured her. "It's my fault for having people who look up to me."

"Well, you're rather plain. I don't understand why you have fan girls," Myungsoo muttered.

"Last year, I saved Jieun from a few guys who tried to kidnap her. A few girls at our school saw us, and during that time, I was beating those jerks up. The girls reported one side of the story to the teacher, which was the violent one, but told the one where I saved an innocent girl to the students. When I had to repeat an year, lots of people thought that I was too scary to be approached, but once they say me be pretty close with you guys, the girls kind of grew up to me," Yoseob explained. His cheeks slightly turned pink as Jieun shuddered from the memory.

"That was definitely my fault," she said, pouting. "I wasn't thinking and just followed them without screaming."

"Anways, changing the subject. Alright, so everyone is good to go on Saturday, right? No plans?"

"I'll be a bit late," Daehyun said. "I'm going to go and buy a microphone before I arrive. Jieun is going to help me pick out a good microphone, too."

"So it's a date?" Baekhyun questioned him. Daehyun's face turned red and shook his head. Jieun rolled her eyes and pulled on Myungsoo's ears. Myungsoo whimpered a bit, while she pointed at him.

"No, Myungsoo is coming with us, too," she added. 

"I want to go, too!" Baekhyun blurted. He didn't really want to go. He didn't even like shopping, unless it was about electronics. However, knowing that Daehyun and Myungsoo were going with her seemed a bit too... dangerous.

"Sure. Then I'll just get things prepared while you four are gone," Yoseob said. "I'll call if something happens at the practice room, okay?"

The other four glanced at each other in approval and nodded. "Got it!"