The Bronze

Finding Everest

"We lost."

"We're done."

"Sorry, Daehyun, but it seems like you have to go on a date with Suzy. You'll have fun with her, though. She's a pretty good singer and will hopefully give you some more advice about singing," Yoseob said, patting Daehyun's broad back. The five members were behind the stage, cuddled at the corner with a hopeless expression. Jieun and Myungsoo continued to sulk together, while Baekhyun leaned his back against the black wall with frustration. Daehyun stood still with horror, while Yoseob tried to encourage him by saying how great Suzy was.

"I can't believe that my first date is going to be somone I don't even like," Daehyun muttered. 

"Maybe if we tell Suzy about this bad idea, she'll give up," Jieun suggested quietly.

"No, you already saw her or heard of her. She's pretty stubborn," Baekhyun said. Although I don't have any complaints for Daehyun going on a date with Suzy. As long as she's not Jieun, I'm fine.

"What if we exchange? You know, one of us or some other stranger can go on a date with Suzy," Myungsoo suggested. He pointed at Baekhyun. "I nominate Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun's eyes widened. "W-What? T-Then, I nominate Yoseob! He knows Suzy more than us!"

"Guys, guys!" Yoseob shouted, breaking the nervous atmosphere. "We are not nominating anyone or anybody, understand? This was entirely Daehyun's fault, so he will be a responsible man and take the blame. Right Dae--Daehyun? Hey, where did Daehyun go?"

Yoseob, Baekhyun, and Jieun suddenly realized that Daehyun had disappeared. Not only that, but Myungsoo had ran off somewhere, too. Yoseob banged his forehead against the wall and beagn to let out soft sobs.

"Why can't they just be good boys and stay still..." he whispered in distress. Jieun and Baekhyun glanced at each other, worried over how the oldest was handling the problems.

 

When Daehyun splashed some water on his face, he reached over his back to grab the towel that Myungsoo was holding for him. The two were at the bathroom, but were there for a different reason. For Daehyun, he came to the sink to cool off, while Myungsoo was forced to accompany him. Once Daehyun wiped his face, he stood up straight and stared at Myungsoo's reflection in the mirror.

"I'm going to ask Jieun out before anything else can happen!" he declared. Myungsoo widened his eyes.

"Wha... Why?"

"So that I can believe that my first date was with Jieun and not with some stranger who's crazy over me."

"What if Jieun rejects you--"

"No, Myungsoo! You can't think so negatively. She'll just... No, never mind. She'll just reject me. Myungsoo, what should I do?" Daehyun asked, turning to face his friend. Myungsoo leaned against the cold wall, then shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know. Honestly, your thoughts of love is so complicated. Why don't you just ask her out? It's not like she'll ignore you or anything. After all, you two are in a band," he pointed out.

"You don't understand. Myungsoo, have you ever liked someone before?" the younger one asked.

A pause. "Sure, I guess. When I was younger."

Daehyun shot his eyes wide open. "Seriously? Who?"

Myungsoo forced a smirk. "It was a long time ago when we were kids. I already told her that I liked her."

"And she rejected you?"

There was another pause. "Rather than being rejected, she never replied."

"Ouch. That really . Do you still contact her?" Deahyun asked, folding the towel neatly. Myungsoo faked a laugh.

"Contact her? I always do that. We just see each other as brothers and sisters. It'd be a difficult situation if I revealed my true feelings for her. Besides, we were kids. What did I know about love back then?"

 

"Achoo!" Jieun sneezed, and rubbed her nose.

"Is it allergy season or something?" Baekhyun asked. Yoseob handed Jieun a tissue so that she could blow her nose. She shrugged her shoulders, and used the white tissue to cover her nose.

"There, there, Jieun. Stop sneezing. We're going on stage, and it'd be embarrassing if you sneezed in front of that entire crowd," Yoseob said, patting Jieun's head. Jieun blinked her eyes and threw away the tissue in a nearby trash can.

"Okay, I think I'm good," she replied.

"You three! Weren't you with two other guys?" the rude host asked, glaring at them. Yoseob nodded his head.

"Ah, yes. It seems like we can't find them--"

"Get over on the stage! We're announcing the winners. Didn't you guys hear your name?" the host snapped.

Yoseob stared at him. "What? Our name was called--"

"Nominated! You guys were nominated. The top five most voted are to go up on the stage. Seriously, this is why I hate guests who participate in our contest. They just slow everyone down," muttered the host. Yoseob was just about to teach the student a lesson until Baekhyun and Jieun pulled him back and guided him to the stage. It was a bit embarrassing to go on stage as the three, but Myungsoo and Daehyun quickly approached the stage from the other side. The five had gathered together at the center back of the platform, staring at the countless girls and guys look at them with envy and interest.

"Okay, everyone! This is what you've been waiting for! We have our five most voted bands and singers! Remember, folks! First place wins a gracious gift of..."

"That host is such a fake," Yoseob whispered to Jieun. Jieun giggled and nodded her head. As the host listed the wonderful, juicy prizes, Jieun searched for Suzy. She found Suzy at the very front and next to the host, as if she was prepared for her first-place victory. Suzy glanced back at her, smirked, then stared back at her so-called "fans." Jieun narrowed her eyes, then looked ahead.

In less than ten minutes, the fifth and fourth place were announced. This caused Yoseob to be anxious. Was there hope to score first? Maybe Suzy wasn't so great. Maybe the audience were reasonable enough to let a band guesting the show win.

"Coming in third place is... the band from the other school! Congratulations!" the senior exclaimed, stepping to the side. Although they were gifted with a trophy and a check, dread filled all over their faces. Daehyun, who had realized that all was lost, grabbed Jieun's wrist and pulled her to the side. Baekhyun noticed this, and was about to chase after the until Myungsoo stopped him.

"Let the boy do what he wants to do," Myungsoo said while smiling and waving to the people who congratulated them.

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, while waving to the people. "What's he planning to do?"

"Ask her out," he replied. Baekhyun stopped waving and widened his eyes.

"You're not going to stop him?"

"Why should I?"

"Jieun doesn't even like him!"

"So?"

"You--Her--Daehyun--Ugh!" Baekhyun shoved the bronze trophy into Myungsoo's hands and pushed him to the side. Realizing how chaotic the band was, Yoseob bit his bottom lip, bowed, then ran off the stage. Myungsoo followed right after him. At the back of the stage, Baekhyun and Daehyun were shoving and pushing each other away from Jieun. Jieun stood still, confused and frightened over the boys' strange reactions. Myungsoo gently placed his hands on her shoulders, and pulled her away from the two irrational boys while Yoseob came between them.

"Stop, stop!" Yoseob shouted, grabbing onto Baekhyun and Daehyun. "What are you guys fighting for all of the sudden? We won!"

"No we didn't!" Daehyun spat out. "We lost! We're in third place, not first!"

Yoseob grinned, leaving Baekhyun and Daehyun confused. "Precisely! Look."

After Suzy was announced to be the first-place winner, she walked towards them with the large trophy in her hands with pride. However, she was puzzled to see Yoseob laughing next to Daehyun.

"I won the contest," Suzy said. "So I believe that you owe me a date?"

"You also owe Daehyun a date with the girl he likes," Yoseob said, resting his elbow on his shoulder.

Suzy scrunched her nose. "No I don't. I won--"

"You said, according to Daehyun, that if you win the contest, he owes you a date. That's exactly what he owes you, since you won the contest. However, he also mentioned that if he won, then you would help set up a date with the girl he likes."

"But he didn't win," she pointed out. "He got third place."

"Wrong," Yoseob defended. "He won third place."

Realizing where this was going, Baekhyun and Daehyun began to relax. Myungsoo and Jieun exchanged triumphic smiles, while Suzy began to tense up. She bit her bottom lip nervously, wondering if she could get away with such a complicated matter.

"But he still owes me a date," Suzy said.

"A date with one guy and two girls. Would that be okay, or does that make you look like a clingy girl?" Yoseob questioned her. Suzy scowled. Her grip around the trophy tightened as she realized that the bet she made with Daehyun was pointless.

"Fine," Suzy said, giving up. "The date's canceled. I wasn't even going to help you go on a date with the girl you liked, anyway." She turned to Yoseob. "I really hate you, Yang Yoseob. Hope I never see you again."

"Please don't make anymore bets, Suzy," Yoseob pleaded gently. "It brings many harships to a lot of us."

Suzy stormed off, leaving the boys and Jieun victorious in their own way. At that moment, Myungsoo raised the bronze trophy in his hand.

"Do you think we could do better than this?" he asked. Jieun, Baekhyun, Daehyun, and Yoseob glanced at one another. At that moment, they all grinned, brightening up the tense atmosphere.

"Definitely."