The Royal Family

Finding Everest

"I shouldn't be here..."

"Nonsense. You belong here."

"No, like I really, really shouldn't be here. You see, I'm allergic to... school."

"Kim Myungsoo, stop being a clown. If you speak one more time, I'm telling Baekhyun," Jieun said, looking around the busy area. Myungsoo groaned and rested his head on her thin shoulder, frowning and complaining how he didn't belong here. Baekhyun and Yoseob were walking in front of them, busying themselves by engaging conversations with the students in Starship High School, asking for directions. Daehyun stood behind them, glaring at Myungsoo's closeness towards Jieun.

"Jieun, I don't think you understand." He stopped and stood in front of Jieun, causing her to stop walking abruptly. "Okay, do you remember that one kid Baekhyun brought over one day when we were young?"

"One kid...?" Jieun tilted her head, obviously confused.

Daehyun finally decided to come between Myungsoo and Jieun. "A kid? I think I remember him."

Myungsoo's attention quickly focused on Daehyun. "You remember? That little devil goes to this school! He goes to this very school! That's why, I think we should all just leave--"

"Guys, what in the world are you doing there? Come on!" Baekhyun yelled. Myungsoo grumbled something under his breath, and the three walked towards where Baekhyun and Yoseob were standing. In front of them, girl with cherry-red hair stood next to a boy with golden blonde hair. They smiled at the band with somewhat of a warm smile. Yoseob turned around and pushed his friends closer to the hosts.

"Guys, this is Soyou and Hyunseung. They and two others are in charge of the second to last event, which is band. Soyou, Hyunseung, this guy is Baekhyun, Myungsoo, Jieun, and the guy over there is Daehyun," Yoseob introduced.

"Hello! Welcome to Starship High School. Ever heard of us besides the flyer?" Hyunseung asked, walked forward. The rest of the group followed him, thinking that he was guiding them to the stage.

"Um, I actually heard that there were these two girls who teamed up and made some amazing performances a few years ago," Daehyun said, getting a bit shy.

"Ah, yes. Hyorin and Bora. They've graduated, so you won't be seeing them much." Hyunseung paused, then looked at Jieun. "Would you like some tea? You look tired."

The singer blushed, and Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. He protectively placed an arm over her, which caused Soyou to misunderstand. She pointed at Baekhyun's arm, and stared at the two.

"Are you two dating?" she asked bluntly. Yoseob laughed, but when he realized that he was laughing alone, he slowly turned around. Jieun was turning slightly pink, embarrassed about the question. Myungsoo looked awkwardly happy, Baekhyun was visibly red, and Daehyun seemed terribly upset.

"N-No, no, no!" Jieun stuttered. "We're all just close friends. Baekhyun's the protective type."

Soyou nodded her head. "That boy kind of reminds me of the other boy. You know, Minwoo?"

Myungsoo widended his eyes. "M-Minwoo? Did you say M-Minwoo?"

"Did someone call my name? I heard my name," a voice said from behind. Everyone turned around and saw a fairly young boy standing behind them. He looked too young to be in high school, but he wore the same high school uniform as Soyou and Hyunseung. Myungsoo hid behind Yoseob, using the oldest as a shield. Yoseob rolled his eyes, then smiled warmly at the new friend.

"Who's he? Is he the Minwoo you're talking about?" Yoseob asked. Soyou and Hyunseung nodded their heads. Yoseob turned back to Minwoo. "Hello! I'm Yo--"

"Go home," Minwoo said sharply. Yoseob froze, but tried to smile once more.

"Um, excuse me--"

"Go home," Minwoo repeated. "We don't need you here. You guys lack talent."

Baekhyun stepped up angrily. "Excuse us, but who are you to say that we don't have talent? We're--"

"Oh, Jieun," the young boy said, ignoring Baekhyun's lecture. He walked over to the petite girl, then quickly embraced her in his arm. The entire band dropped their jaws, wondering why Minwoo was hugging Jieun. When she saw Daehyun's pitiful expression, she quickly shook her head.

"I-I don't know who this boy is!" she exclaimed. Minwoo looked up at her, gave her the puppy-eyes, then glanced over at Myungsoo. Once again, Myungsoo ducked behind Yoseob, terrified of him.

"It seems like Myungsoo remembers me," Minwoo pointed out. He finally smirked. "Plus, boyfriend or not, it's pretty much pointless to take Jieun again. We already exchanged our vows--"

Daehyun squeezed Baekhyun's shoulder. "Dude, I think I'm going to faint..."

"Hang in there, man!" Baekhyun shouted, shoving Daehyun's hand away from his shoulder. He turned back to Minwoo, then gritted his teeth. "Okay, so you exchanged vows. So what? Who are you, anyways?"

"Myungsoo, can you explain and stop crawling behind my back?" Yoseob asked, pushing Myungsoo in front of the group. The quiet boy his lips, then nervously opened his mouth to speak.

"Do you guys remember how we were kids, and that one day, this little kid came and started destroying us? Remember how that little child wanted to play the 'Prince' and took Jieun away for the next three hours? Remember all that hardship we went through just to get Jieun back and how much trouble we got into because of the mess we made?" Myungsoo asked, hoping that his friends would remember. Daehyun and Baekhyun remained dumbfounded, while Yoseob slowly began to remember to old memories.

"Oh yeah, I think I remember... He was that little jerk who--" Yoseob gasped. "No way, no way. He can't be this guy--"

"Oh, but I am," Minwoo said. "Plus, during the time Jieun was in my rightful hands..." He gave her a quick peck on her cheek, causing Daehyun to collapse and faint into Baekhyun's arm. "We promised to get married when we reach the age of marriage."

Jieun gave the little boy a dumbfounded look, then looked at her band mates.

What am I going to do now? she wondered, awkwardly holding hands with the younger boy.

 

"I can't believe you made such a promise."

"Well, I'm sorry! I don't even remember that promise. Who remembers a promise made in third grade?"

"Minwoo's a genius. Why do you think we got into so much trouble just to find you? He set up so many traps and all..." Myungsoo heaved a sigh and put some coins into the coin slot. He looked at Jieun, who still had an upset expression. "What do you want to drink? Orange juice? Coffee?"

"No, no thank you. I have too much in my mind to drink something," Jieun said, sighing. She watched Myungsoo press the buttons, getting drinks for the rest of the band members. She paused, then stared up at the silent boy. "Myungsoo, why do you remember that day, though?"

He suddenly stiffened. "W-What do you mean?"

"Well, you said that Minwoo's a genius. No offense, but you're... not a genius. So why do you remember?" Jieun asked. The boy eased himself, but he looked a little disappointed. He handed Jieun a cold can of apple juice, and she took it after hesitating for a few seconds. Myungsoo sat next to her, holding four other cans in his arm. He opened up a can of soda, and began to gulp it down. He let out a refreshing sigh, then wiped his lips with the back of his hand.

"You also made a promise with me on that day," Myungsoo said softly. "When I was the first one to find you, you told me how you wanted to be a princess."

She paled. "Uh-oh. Did I ask you to be my prince, too?"

He let out a chuckle. "No, no. You asked me to be your knight, so that I can look over you and support you with your prince. Then you asked Yoseob to be the king, Baekhyun to be the princess's brother, and Daehyun to the princess's child."

She giggled, then grabbed ahold of all the cans. "Oh, thank goodness I made that kind of promise! Well, sir, you're being a really good knight. Come on, let's go and get the others. After this break, Yoseob wants to practice once more!"

She ran off into the crowd, but Myungsoo managed to catch sight of her. He tried to smile, but failed when he saw meet the others. The lonely boy threw away his can into a recycling bin, and began to walk slowly.

"But Jieun," he whispered, "doesn't the knight need a princess to love, too?"