Saturday Pizza

Finding Everest

Yoseob was bored. It was a Saturday, and the weather was great for him to go out and play. However, his childhood friends were gone and busy with their day, and his friends at school were attending cram school. Yoseob could've attended cram school, too, but he decided to skip since his parents weren't home. He stretched his arms and glanced at the clock. It was about to be noon.

Better order pizza, he thought, grabbing his cell phone. He pressed a number on speed dial and waited for the other end to pick up. As he waited, he walked over his desk and took out a book to read. He grabbed a pencil and chewed at the end of it, not caring how dirty it was. His eyes rolled over to an old photo of him and the four other friends. He stopped chewing on his pencil and dropped it between the book he was reading.

Those were good times, he thought, seeing a picture of Myungsoo crying with a bucket of mud on his hair. In the photo, Jieun was comforting Myungsoo, and Daehyun was crying along with him. Baekhyun was laughing at Myungsoo's miserable state, and young Yoseob was scolding him for dumping mud on the poor boy.

When the other line finally picked up, Yoseob quickly placed his order. He requested the delivery man to bring the pizza to him, and ended his conversation right after. After he ended the call, he paused and tapped on his phone. Then, he sent a text to his four friends, asking them to come over. After he sent the text, he threw his cell phone on his bed and focused on his studies. The phone alerted him that someone replied to his message, but Yoseob ignored it.

He knew those little guys long enough to understand if they were coming or not.

In ten minutes, someone rang the doorbell. He got up to see who it was, and found out that it was Jieun holding the drinks.

"Who is it?" Yoseob teased.

"Let me in!" Jieun demanded. "These drinks are heavy!"

Yoseob laughed lightly and unlocked the door. When he twisted the door knob, Jieun barged in and took off her shoes eagerly. She exchanged smiles with him, and ran to the living room, where she placed the bag of drinks on the small, wooden table.

"Oh gosh! I thought no one would ever call. I was getting bored to death!" Jieun exclaimed. 

"What a coincident! I was getting bored, too. I'm just hungry, but I don't think I'm going to eat everything," he said, sitting next to her.

"Why not? You were always a big eater."

"Eh. I don't feel like eating today."

"You don't feel like eating? Wow, you really are a simple-minded guy. Are you sure that there's nothing wrong?" she asked him. Hearing the word "simple" caused Yoseob to grimace. He covered up his bitter expression with a gentle smile. 

"Um, yeah. Nothing's wrong. Hey, do you think that I would have to buy the chips? Baekhyun never remembers to bring the chips," Yoseob said, changing the subject.

"Did you text him and see if he could bring them? Try e-mail and call him. He's always on his computer. I heard that he's upgrading his computer and all those stuff. Oh, and Daehyun can't come. Myungsoo isn't coming, either," Jieun informed him.

"I know that Daehyun can't come because of his dad, but why not Myungsoo?" Yoseob questioned her.

"I was going to call him out, but then he's still sleeping in his room. I was going to tell Baekhyun to get out of his house, but he ignored me and started typing and stuff," Jieun explained. "Boys these days. Always on the computer, playing games and whatnot."

Yoseob chuckled. "You make it sound like we're always stuck in our rooms in the dark."

"Well, if my neighbors weren't like that, then maybe I would see a guy in a different perspective," Jieun said, lifting the tab. The soda fizzed, but didn't explode. "Hey, when is the pizza going to get here? I'm hungry!"

Yoseob shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe, in, like, ten minutes?"

"Ten minutes! You should've told me! I was going to bring my textbook," she complained.

"Oh, please. Your textbook doesn't even have educational information. All they have are permanent marker marked all over the pages you have to study about," Yoseob pointed out.

Jieun looked away coldly. "Well, I was going to buy a new book next week..."

"With what allowance? You know, your parents are going to catch you spending too much money. What are you going to do if they limit your allowance, to, like, a few coins or something?" he asked. Before Jieun had the chance the answer, the door bell rang. Yoseob got up from his seat with his wallet, knowing that it was the pizza delivery man. When he properly paid the delivery man with tip, he closed the door and brought over the two boxes of pizza to Jieun. Jieun's eyes twinkled with delight, thankful how the pizza gave her the chance to escape the sensitive topic.

"Hey, what kind of pizza did you order?" Jieun asked, opening both lids.

"I ordered the Hawaiian Pizza with that special sauce they put," Yoseob said.

"But you know how picky Myungsoo is. He hates pineapples."

"Well, he just has to deal with it. Half the reason why he doesn't have a lot of friends is that habit of his. If he learned to eat everything, then maybe people would invite him to eat out sometimes."

"Mm... Anyways, what are you going to do for the summer? Get a job or something?" she questioned him, grabbing a slice and putting it on a white paper plate.

Yoseob laughed. "Jieun, we all know that I'm not going to get a job. Have you seen my grades?"

"Oh yeah! They were pretty average," Jieun blurted.

Yoseob, once again, grimaced. He laughed gently, then looked out the window. Yes, he was average, simple, and normal. Was that a flaw? To be normal? Should he be proud that he had no talent like his other friends? Yoseob scratched his head and glanced over at the clock.

I hope those guys would come soon, he thought, heaving a deep sigh.

 

Daehyun cleared his throat nervously. He was wearing formal clothing, and the red tie was bugging his neck. Not only that, but he was feeling worn out. He had just seen someone get their kidneys replaced at his father's hospital (causing him to skip lunch), a little kid cry when he got two cavities out by his older sister Nicole (who had offered to check his mouth for free), and was now on his way to see the eldest of the family, Yonghwa.

"So, what are you mostly interested so far?" Mr. Jung, Daehyun's father, asked him.

Daehyun cleared his throat and handed him a CD case. "T-This. You should try listening to it, Father. We--"

"We?"

"You know, the old guys? Jieun, Baekhyun, Myungsoo, and Yoseob? The kids I used to play with when I was younger," Daehyun explained.

"Ah... Yes. Those guys..." Mr. Jung looked disappointed. "Are any of them interested in the medical field?"

"N-No. Not exactly... We all love music. That CD is really precious, Father. You should try hearing it! I-I mean, it's just a demo of a song we're making. You should hear all of us. Myungsoo and Yoseob are great with playing the guitars! Baekhyun is really good at editing the song, but if he does have to play an instrument, he plays the piano. Jieun plays the guitar, but she can also sing. Sometimes, she sings with me, since I'm the main singer--"

"Yes, yes. That sounds fantastic. I'll listen to this later," Mr. Jung interrupted, hiding the CD behind his back. Daehyun slightly frowned, but slowly looked away. From the corner of his eyes, he saw his father examine the case. He felt his heart skip a beat.

Is Father really going to listen to my song for once? Daehyun wondered. He continued to pretend that he wasn't looking. After Mr. Jung finally finished examining it, he rolled down the window and threw the CD on the sidewalk. The car behind them honked, and a quick cracking sound was heard outside. Daehyun felt his heart sink when he realized that his father had thrown out the entire CD.

I knew it. It was too good to be true, he thought, beginning to sulk.

"Oh, look! Daehyun, we're here at Yonghwa's. Let's go see how he's doing," Mr. Jung cheered, waiting for the driver to open the door. Daehyun slowly glanced over at the marbled building. Several herbs and plants were outside, welcoming guests to come inside the cool building. Daehyun got out of the car without the driver's help and stared at the pharmacy.

"Sure looks small," Daehyun muttered.

"Small doesn't matter for now," Mr. Jung said, sighing proudly at the sight of the pharmacy. "What matters is how well he's doing. Come on, let's get inside!"

When Daehyun stepped in, he found the room empty. At the counter, there were two women gossiping about rumors spreading in the town. He sighed weakly, and walked over to take a seat. When Mr. jung stepped in, the workers recognized him and welcomed him with big smiles, promising to bring the pharmacist to meet them.

"This is quite, exciting, right?" Mr. Jung asked him. "A father and his boy, going around building to building to see what the boy would be interested in. What do you think you're going to be? A doctor? A dentist?"

None, Father. "Um, I don't know. I'm not too kid with seeing all those body organs, and I'd hate to make little kids cry in pain..."

Mr. Jung smiled. "Ah, then you might want to be a pharmacist! Yonghwa couldn't handle all those, either. He liked to be in a small room and work independently with medicine."

"T-That's not what I meant. I mean--"

"Father! Daehyun! What are you guys doing here?" a familiar voice exclaimed. Daehyun looked up and grimaced. Yonghwa stood in front of them with a surprised look on his face.

"Yonghwa! How are you? I hope you don't mind that we came here without an appointment," Mr. Jung said in a joking manner.

"No, that's not it. Business is slow today, but really. What are you guys doing here?" Yonghwa asked.

"We're just browsing around. Daehyun is going through high school, and he has to focus on which career he would want in the future."

"I thought he said that he was going to be a singer. Didn't he leave the house once to protest against being a doctor?"

"Well, that was being a doctor. Daehyun could always be something else."

"Like a model or an actor?" Daehyun asked hopefully, knowing that models and actors sometimes were able to sing.

Mr. Jung forced a fake smile. "No, I mean like an accountant, lawyer, or any medical fields available in this world! Don't dream something like the impossible, Daehyun. Focus on what the world can give to you. Now, if you two will excuse me, I need to use the men's room."

Yonghwa smirked at Daehyun after Mr. Jung disappeared from their sight. He took a seat next to his little brother and folded his hands together. 

"Dad's giving you a hard time?" Yonghwa asked.

Daehyun shrugged his shoulders. "What does that have to do with you?" He paused. "By the way, Jieun said 'hi.'"

Yonghwa scrunched his eyebrows for a moment. "Oh! Jieun! Yeah, I remember her. What the heck, you're still friends with that girl? Why?"

"What's the problem about being friends with her? It just shows that we have a healthy relationship together," Daehyun fired back.

"No, I mean... I thought you liked her," Yonghwa said. "Are you guys dating or anything?"

Daehyun turned red and looked away. "D-Dating? N-No way! And who said that I liked her? I never liked her in that way!"

"Calm down, Daehyun. I was just teasing. No need to get so denfensive," Yonghwa retorted, rolling his eyes. "So you're still thinking about being a singer?"

"Why can't I? Being a doctor, dentist, or even a pharmacist is boring. Who wants to count and be an accountant? I sure don't. I don't even want to be a lawyer," Daehyun exclaimed, rubbing his head.

"Hey, don't say that a job is boring. To some, those jobs are fun and meaningful. It's not their faults that you're more interested in the entertainment business," Yonghwa scolded him.

"Yeah, sure. I'm done." Daehyun rubbed the nape of his neck. "Can you tell Dad that I'm going to my friend's house early? We had to skip practice this week just because of me."

Yonghwa gave Daehyun a disappointed expression. "Are you kidding me? You're still going to pursue that dream?"

"Why not? What do I have to lose?"

"Uh, everything. You know that Dad can go far as disowning you if you continue being a singer," Yonghwa said. "Remember how I was about to be disowned after saying that I wanted to be a guitarist? I was a street guitarist for a few days, and gave up after no food. Daehyun, it's going to be tough. Just become a doctor and please Dad."

Daehyun laughed and looked at his phone. "Well, unlike you, I plan to be successful. Now, if you would excuse me, I'm going to my friend's house to eat some pizza."