Feather 7

Beautiful Stranger

 

Kyuhyun’s nights were becoming more and more peaceful nowadays. He had had some faint thoughts that it had something to do with the presence of one cute boy in his house. Or maybe not. Whatever the reason was, after sleeping off last evening and the whole night, Kyuhyun woke up with great mood and a smirk on his face. The smirk that Donghae and Minho could tell long stories about if they were there. They could also tell Sungmin to run away the moment he sees it because the appearance of said smirk never meant any good. If they were there.

Unfortunately, they weren’t.

And Kyuhyun had a plan.

His smirk faltered a little when he entered the kitchen. “Why are up so early every day?” He complained.

“Huh?” Sungmin glanced at him, his face surprisingly lost in thoughts. “Ah, that. I’m not really used to sleeping yet.”

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows because what does that even mean, ‘not used to sleeping’? But then he shrugged and decided to just make something eatable for breakfast. He stopped on his tracks when a deliciously pleasurable smell reached his nose. Eh?

Sungmin seemed to have shaken off his weird state already as a bright smile graced his features.

“I made you pancakes! Are you hungry?”

“But how…? I mean, you didn’t even know what an omelet was the other day!”

The boy giggled. “Let’s just say I’m a fast learner. Anyway, eat quickly and we need to leave soon or else you’re going to be late—I mean, we’re going to be late for school! Besides,” he added when Kyuhyun sat down and swallowed a pancake almost in one go, obviously burning himself in the process. “Isn’t it about the time Minho and Donghae usually burst into your house without invitation?”

A creep. Okay, fine, no problem, Kyuhyun can live with it, as long as said creep keeps on making him this good food.

Being totally engrossed in devouring his fourth pancake with coffee syrup sprawled all over it, Kyuhyun only nodded. Between one bite and another he wondered briefly how did Sungmin know about his weak spot being coffee syrup when not even his sister had any idea about this. (Donghae did, since it was him who introduced the heavenly sinful thing to him. And Minho knew, too, because… Because he was Minho. Yeah.)

A knock on the door. Maybe it was a postman? Come to think of it, Kyuhyun hadn’t seen one for a couple of days now… Eh, his lazy- noona was probably too preoccupied by everything else to send him a letter now. But still, a postcard would be nice.

“I’ll get it,” said Kyuhyun, standing up and swiping his lips with his sleeve, when he realized it had to be his friends, because the postman didn’t work on Tuesdays. “I have no idea why they even keep on knocking.” He mumbled and froze before turning to Sungmin. “Hey, isn’t that a bird? A bird in a house… Doesn’t it mean death coming to this place?”

Sungmin jumped before turning his head in every possible direction at the same time. “What!? Where!”

Chuckling, Kyuhyun shrugged and went to open the door. “Hyung, Minho. Ready for school?”

“Y-yeah,” Sungmin smiled nervously from behind his back. “Let’s better leave… now.”

The clear question marks visible on both Donghae’s and Minho’s faces remained unanswered as Kyuhyun only laughed evilly and left his own house in all his malicious glory.

 

 

 

He had found out Sungmin was the superstitious type of person when the other had suddenly stopped Kyuhyun on their way from school and started looking around in search for something. He seemed quite panicked. In reply to Kyuhyun’s surprised question of what in the mother of physics he was doing, Sungmin shook his head and kept looking. They picked up their walk only when a group of rather older guys passed them by and Sungmin sighed deeply. He then returned to his normal self as if nothing had happened.

Be it luck or Kyuhyun’s unhealthy curiosity, but something made him look in the alley on their left where he noticed… a black cat. It could have been then that a tiny seed of his future genius plan appeared in his head. And now, he had every intention to use his new found knowledge.

It wasn’t until the end of all the classes that he finally had a chance to do so, because apparently, Sungmin was definitely ‘too cute’ and ‘too nice’ in their schoolmates’ opinion, to leave him alone for more than ing thirty seconds. Weird thing was that EVERYONE had been aiming to talk to him; average, normal students (those were the ones Kyuhyun could actually stand (since there wasn’t many of them)), the students who were usually too shy and quiet to even lift their head when asked a simple question, the ‘school outcasts’ – they, too, broke out of their shells to say a word and even throw a smile at Sungmin.

The biggest surprise though! The biggest surprise were the idols. The Cheerleaders. The nobility. The aristocracy. The… well, you get the point.

See, like every other school, SM High was visibly divided into some sort of castes. The lowest layer of their school community were the nerds. The least respected, always pushed around by ones and ignored by others, group of students.

You can easily guess that the only goal they had every weekday was to go to school, try not to stand out too much, nail every test-slash-quiz and then scurry back home. All those things heavily overshadowed by simply striving to survive in the cruel jungle their parents sent them to, thinking it was the best their kids could ever ask for.

One tiny level up were the members of the drama club. Yeah weird isn’t it. From all Kyuhyun heard, actors from any other school’s drama club were genuinely liked and admired; after all it took lots of courage to be able to stand in front of so many people and still be able to say your lines without a mistake. But apparently, that was not the case in SM High because in SM High if you were an actor from the club, you automatically got labeled as a loser. No coming back.

No one knew how Minho managed to become popular, or noticeable for that matter, after his career as a lead actor of one of the biggest plays. When asked about it once, he firmly refused to open his mouth until the topic got changed into something from another world.

Then there were the average kids, with average grades, average looks and average everything else. On the very same level, but at the same time an entirely different kind of group, were the friends of the popular kids, the group of which Kyuhyun was undoubtedly a member of. Like. The only one. Unlike the Average Mass of Students, he was actually known as a separate person, one owning a name.

That didn’t mean others liked him more or liked him less; they were just trying not to bother him too much in fear of getting on Minho’s or Donghae’s black list. (A list that didn’t exist in Donghae’s case, but after experiencing the consequences of being on Minho’s one, nobody really dared to check by themselves.)

After a huge empty space, there were finally the cool guys and beautiful girls. The layer involved the cheerleaders, the football players and the Flower Boys. (If you had managed to be all three of them, you’d undeniably be a king of the whole school. Or a Queen.) They tried to avoid talking with students under their standards, instead opting for having fun in their own company. They weren’t exactly mean, just… Out of everyone else’s league.

How Kyuhyun wished for his friends to be like them. But no. His mother Fortune just had to decide that those particular two boys will overcome the boundaries between poor and rich, and set everyone an example of how friendship is a value much more valuable than the encompassing prejudice. Or some other like that.

Anyway, the point is, even the Populars got down from their pedestal and greeted Sungmin into their school, saying that if there’s absolutely anything that he needs, he should not hesitate and call them at once. (When Kyuhyun saw Sungmin opening his mouth, he just knew the other was going to ask for a carton of milk from the vending machine, he was one hundred per cent sure of it, and so he had somehow found himself throwing some lame excuse and dragging his angel boy away, to spare him the embarrassment.)

To sum it up – yes. Everyone in their school wanted to at least shake hands with Sungmin.

Therefore Kyuhyun had spent those few hours during classes and between them, glaring at every girl and every boy who approached Sungmin that day (for your information – that meant a lot of glaring), and ignoring his stupid friends’ idiotic comments which, for the sake of his quickly fading away sanity, he shall not repeat. Like, never.

So when the time to go home finally came, Kyuhyun’s level of irritation was more than justified, which didn’t go unnoticed by the forever-caring hyung of his. Who happened to have his own way of making Kyuhyun feel better.

“Come on, Minho-ah!” Said Donghae happily. “Let’s go this way today, while Kyu baby and Sungminnie will go that way.”

Minho frowned, clearly discontent with the idea. “Why, let’s just go that way, too. We can all—“

Alone,” Donghae stressed the word and the youngest boy seemed to finally grasp what was in the other’s mind.

“Wha…? BUT HYUNG!”

“Bye, Kyu baby! Have fun!” Donghae waved the surprised couple, while dragging the whining Minho in the direction of a bus stop.

Kyuhyun and Sungmin could still hear them, when they sat on a waiting bench.

“HYUNG! Don’t be like this! What if he—“

“Where is your house, anyway?” Donghae cut in, standing up to enter the just arrived bus. “We’ve never actually been there…” He wondered adn that was the last thing Kyuhyun heard before the bus took off.

“He’s right, you know?” He spoke up after a minute of a dismay silence. “We have never been to his house, now that I think of it.” He scratched his nape sheepishly, deciding that he prefers walking to taking a bus, then glanced at Sungmin with a glint in his eyes. “Hey, if you’re a stalker of one of us, then you should know where Minho lives, don’t you?”

Sungmin pouted in response. “Why do you keep calling me a stalker? Why don’t you just believe me? You shouldn’t be this difficult from what I heard!”

He only managed to get a laugh from his ward. “Where did you hear that! Certainly not from people who know me, haha.”

“Okay,” said Sungmin with a new energy, as if just got a new, brilliant idea. “Let’s play a game then! It’s called… A Make Believe. I tell you something, and you just pretend that you believe in that, even if in reality you don’t. Easy, right?”

“Yeah.” Well, if he wanted to play something, then Kyuhyun figured, why not. A game is a game, he was going to nail it, like he had nailed every other ones.

“I’m an angel.”

Such a surprise, he thought sarcastically, and was opening his mouth to make some joke about it, but then he stopped. The ball was in the game now.

He nodded, instead. “Okay, you’re an angel.”

“I’m serious.”

Kyuhyun nodded, again. “I believe you.”

“But not an ordinary angel. I’m your Guardian Angel.” Sungmin replied with serious eyes, searching for any signal of the other not believing him. Kyuhyun was not going to give him one. But he couldn’t just agree the whole time, it’d look too suspicious.

He frowned. “If you’re an angel, then what are you doing on the Earth? Why did you come here?”

"To protect you.”

“Wow, so you just now realized you need to get your work done?” Kyuhyun actually felt a bit offended.

Sungmin seemed taken aback. “What? No! I—“

“Couldn’t you have moved your holy here those years ago, when some bastard decided it’d be fine to drive after two glasses of alcohol, and if he’s going to kill somebody’s parents in the process, then who cares! They’ll just die and he can go home like nothing happened!” Kyuhyun didn’t know what got into him all of a sudden, but he didn’t like it. This had never happened before. And it won’t happen again. He tried to calm himself down. It was just a game. A game with some boy who had nothing to do with the accident, and who didn’t deserve Kyuhyun’s outburst being directed at him. Just a game.

And he had to win it.

“Anyway.” Busy talking to himself in his head, he didn’t notice Sungmin’s eyes filling with a mix of guilt, sadness and fear.

“Kyuhyun-ah…”

“So?” He replied expectantly, his voice back to normal. “What did you come here for?”

Sungmin didn’t look like he wanted to continue his own game, Kyuhyun noticed. But hey, it had been his idea in the first place. Now it was a matter of play or admit the defeat.

The angel sighed. “I told you, to protect you. It’s just… This time I wouldn’t be able to do it from where I’ve been before.”

“And what would that be, huh?” The younger was back to his playful self as he stuck out his tongue. “A broken mirror? 7 years of bad luck? Walking under the ladder?”

“I can’t tell you that. And, I’m not superstitious.” Sungmin declared firmly, but then he squinted an eye in Kyuhyun’s direction. “…But don’t do those things. You know, just in case.”

A laugh and a torn clover being thrown in his face was all Sungmin got in response.

 

 

 

“!” Yelled Kyuhyun, when Donghae’s finger touched his aching ankle, and earned himself a glare from the other.

“Language, Kyu!”

Honestly, language was the last thing Kyuhyun cared about at that particular moment, but he couldn’t just say it to his self-proclaimed umma, could he? No, if he didn’t want an hour-long lecture followed by a sulking Donghae hyung.

And he didn’t.

He glanced at Sungmin, who was crouching near the stone-well with a pale face. , he repeated in his head. What the has just happened?!

He had been running away from a cutely fuming Sungmin, right after he had reminded him of the cat-accident, and then of the bird-in-the-house-accident, and the next second he found himself being surrounded… No, not surrounded, being inside a weird kind of round cage… Which was made of… Feathers.

Gosh, it didn’t make sense even in his own head!

But the feathers, they were so real! They looked exactly the same as the ones he had imagined the other day in his school’s cafeteria… And they felt so damn soft.

It ing couldn’t have been his imagination! But then again, it couldn’t have been real either! It couldn’t. He refused to believe it. it, nothing happened. He had hit his head while landing on a stone or something. Yes, that must have been it. Because if that wasn’t the case…

No, Kyuhyun shook his head, and immediately regretted doing so when the pain of landing on a ground from the height of five meters shot right through it. This whole angel-talk can’t be real. End of a story.

“What story, Kyu baby?” Asked Donghae with concern.

, now he didn’t even have control over his own mouth. Just perfect.

“Nothing, hyung,” sighed Kyuhyun and very carefully rubbed his leg, checking if something else got damaged apart from his ankle. Thank God, it seemed no to.

“Hey, Kyu Hyung!” Minho shouted, on his way to them. “Sungmin hyung is fine. But he just won’t tell me what had actually happened.”

Uh, that’s pretty understandable. But sorry, Minho-ah, I can’t tell you either.

“Because it’s nothing serious, Minho-ah, it’s just Donghae hyung exaggerating things, like always.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes for the effect.

Minho pouted. “Tell me anyway, I wanna know.”

“Geez, you’re definitely hanging out with Hae hyung too much. Okay, here goes the story, I was running like a moron, don’t ask why; and then I tripped.”

That much was the truth.

“Then it turned out this stupid well was here, so I tried to minimalize the impact…” And suddenly I was inside a freaking pillow without the pillowcase! “So I stuck out my leg to meet it first, and, uh, it was a mistake.” Then, when I was about to faint, this thing disappeared and I fell onto the grass. Hard.

“But it’s nothing serious, honestly.” He assured the younger, when he made a horrified face. “The only thing that suffered, is actually my phone. Can you lend me yours?” Asked Kyuhyun, while eyeing Sungmin again.

He was not going to decide on anything before contacting the only person, who was able to tell whether he had gone mad or he just had a concussion.

“Hyung. We have to meet. Now.” He said into the phone, gave the device back to Minho, threw Sungmin one last gaze and then, with a clean conscience, he fainted.

 


Yayy~ An update :D Haha, it seems that the more time I have, the less inspiration I get ^^'' Anyway, here you go, I hope it makes SOME sense, because it's almost 4 in the morning and I just finished writing this, soooo... I'll proof-read tomorrow. Or today, technically ;p

If anyone's curious, this thing had formed in my head some time ago, and I had to get it out, kkk

As always, thank you all for reading!

 

~love, puppysauruss ^-^v