Feather 4

Beautiful Stranger

 

“I’m your angel,” Sungmin answered with full seriousness, no sign of joking at all.

“An angel.” Kyuhyun deadpanned.

“Yup!”

"An angel.”

Sungmin nodded, wide smile returning to his face.

“A freaking white and pure being from Heavens, a guy who sings solemn hymns with his folks on daily basis. Owning a pair of wings. This one?”

The ‘angel’ frowned.

“No!” he replied, a bit offended. “I told you, I’m your angel. The Choirs are something entirely different! Plus, I’m much better looking than them.” He added with confidence.

Okay, so this was some kind of freak Kyuhyun had here. Poor guy needed help. Definitely. But not from Kyuhyun, thank you very much, he had been busy as it was and his plan for the night hadn’t foreseen any disturbances, especially not in form of a clearly insane boy knocking on his doors and claiming he was a representative of Heavens.

(Not that Kyuhyun was very religious anyway.)

“Ehm, yes. So, you know, angel-nim, everything’s nice and all but it’s kind of late now. Why don’t you come back here tomorrow? Then we’ll get you to the hosp— I mean, then we’ll talk like a pair of the civilized people we are. Okay?” Asked Kyuhyun hopefully.

Sungmin pouted. And if Kyuhyun had to be honest with himself, the pout was much, much more effective than Donghae’s (and all the girls in school were literally squealing and fainting when Donghae pouted so that means a lot). “But I don’t exactly have anywhere else to go. And I’m exhausted already…” The boy bit his lower lip with miserable expression, which kind of melted a tiny little part of Kyuhyun’s game-centered heart.

“Uh.” Came the intelligent answer. Sungmin looked up at him with half-troubled and half-pleading eyes. “Fine,” he gave up. “You can stay here for the night. But only tonight. Tomorrow we’re finding your… Anything.”

Kyuhyun had honestly no idea what he was going to do the next day when the currently bouncing with excitement in his kitchen stranger will wake up. Good thing it was weekend or else he would have to deal with Donghae asking him billion questions and Minho shooting him sulking looks as well.

“C’mon, I’ll show you your room then,” he mumbled and headed to the hall.

“Thank you, Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin sent him a dazzling grin. “It means so much to me, thank you, thank you!”

Suddenly he felt the other’s chest hitting his back in a spontaneous back hug Sungmin decided to grace him with, his hands encircling Kyuhyun’s neck while he put his cheek onto Kyuhyun’s nape. The host tried to ignore the odd feeling in his stomach (probably hunger, he hadn’t eaten for hours…) and the scent he couldn’t associate with anything, yet his lips almost smiled involuntary upon catching a whiff of it from such short distance.

“Yeah, you’re welcome,” he said, fighting off the feeling. “Just don’t lose any feather in here or you’re telling Donghae to clean it tomorrow.” He warned with more lucid voice as he opened the door to his guest room, Sungmin still practically hanging on his back.

It was strange. Kyuhyun wasn’t supposed to feel so at ease with a potential serial killer being this close to his back of all places for God’s sake. He wasn’t able to even see the other’s moves this way!

“Donghae? Who’s Donghae?” Sungmin scrunched his nose cutely.

“One of my… friends.” The word barely made its way through his lips. How come there was no accurate word describing what they really were to him...?

Sungmin’s eyes lit up as he exclaimed, “Ah! Hae! I always wanted to get to know him, he seems so kind at all times, even with your snarky comments.”

Okay, that was creepy. Did that guy seriously stalk him? Kyuhyun pondered at the possibility as he took the additional bedding from a dark brown drawer.

It was not impossible, taking into consideration that he was a… friend of both most popular guys in school. Sungmin might have actually be one of Donghae’s weird fanboys (yes, he had those too and don’t ask why cause Kyuhyun would never know for the death of his) who thought getting to know Donghae’s acquaintances first would be a great way to get to know the star himself.

It was not such a bad idea actually, as it did work once. Choi Minho had been one of those guys at first but then somewhere in the middle of trying to achieve his goal he made the mistake of changing his target into Kyuhyun. Why? The hell if he ever asked. (He’d been too afraid to.)

“You’re starting to scare me dude.” Kyuhyun shook his head with disbelief. At himself of course. What kind of 138 IQ genius gives his bed to a madman for a whole night? What kind of genius talks to him in the first place? “But I guess you’re right, Donghae hyung is quite patient,” he admitted.

“Yup, he… Can I sit here now? He makes my job much easier you know.” Said Sungmin while making himself comfortable on the bed Kyuhyun managed to prepare for him.

“I can imagine,” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at the mere mention of Donghae’s overprotective nature. “So tell me, where have you been living before you knocked on my door?” he asked in hopes of getting something useful from the guy, in case the hospital employees were going to ask him tomorrow.

“Ah here and there,” Sungmin replied casually. “Honestly, I never really had to bother with a place to live.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean…” the boy eyed Kyuhyun as if evaluating how he was going to take what he says. “I’ve been with you all the time.”

Kyuhyun sighed. He knew it was not going to be easy.

“Yes but, you had to live somewhere. You had to do something to be able to buy those clothes you have on yourself.”

Suddenly a shadow of deep guilt appeared on Sungmin’s face.

“What?” Kyuhyun asked suspiciously, ready to stand up and run calling for help any second.

“Nothing!” Sungmin laughed nervously. “Really, nothing at all! I just, it was cold okay, and people were looking at me like I was an alien, and then the lady wasn’t really paying attention and I left her a note! I promised to bring the money the second I manage to get some. You think she’s very sad because of me now?” he ended looking at Kyuhyun pitifully.

Kyuhyun wanted to laugh at the other’s innocence but he stopped himself. Barely.

“Yes, I think she is,” he teased the miserable boy. “But don’t worry, I’m sure she’ll be okay eventually.”

Sungmin didn’t look convinced at all but he nodded anyway. Kyuhyun decided to just let him rest for the time being and so he neared the open door to go out, not without turning around to throw Sungmin one last glance.

“By the way,” he called to catch the other’s attention once more. “That was not very… angel-ish of you, my angel boy.” Kyuhyun grinned childishly upon seeing the dark shade of red appearing on the tips of Sungmin’s ears, and flew out of the room before the flushed man could come up with some new excuse.

 

 

 

Heavy sigh escaped Kyuhyun’s lips as the big bold letters formed the hated caption of “GAME OVER” on the screen of his laptop. Again.

He could not focus at all tonight. Not with his special guest upstairs. ‘Angel’, psh, as if he was going to get fooled this easily. But he did have to admit that aside from the very… exceptional behavior, Sungmin was a rather attractive guy.

See, Cho Kyuhyun had known he was gay for quite a long time already. He did realize that he was nineteen and haven’t been in any serious relationship as of yet and so his hormones could get the better of him sometimes. It was fairly normal and Kyuhyun excelled the biology lessons enough to not be surprised by it anymore.

And the way Sungmin’s eyes shined when he was excited, the way he would unconsciously brush his fringe when something perked up his interest – Kyuhyun noticed it all. Too bad he seemed to be a madman after all.

Kyuhyun groaned with frustration. He couldn’t focus on his favorite game but it wasn’t like he could just go to sleep now; he had a feeling that he won’t manage to fall asleep tonight anyway. But maybe trying won’t hurt, he thought as he turned off the device and dragged himself to his bedroom, stopping for just a quick second in front of the guest room.

Should he?

Of course he shouldn’t. Even the crazy ones deserved privacy.

However… He was a good host in his own house, he should make sure the other slept peacefully. He wasn’t peeking, he was just checking.

“Can’t sleep, Kyuhyun-ah?”

The quiet voice from behind made Kyuhyun almost jump out of his own skin. His heart drummed loudly in his ribs as he turned around to face the smaller guy clearly coming back from bathroom. “Yah! You startled me!”

“I’m sorry,” Sungmin smiled, not-really-apologetically. “Did you want something?”

Kyuhyun shifted uncomfortably.

“N-no, I was just heading to my room.” Not entirely untrue.

“Oh, goodnight then,” Sungmin neared to give him another hug and Kyuhyun couldn’t really find a reason valid enough to step away (even though he tried hard.) “And thank you once again, Kyuhyun-ah.” He whispered quietly into Kyuhyun’s hair.

Kyuhyun couldn’t stop the shiver. What the heck? Was he cold or something? “Yeah. You’re welcome.”

Just as he was contemplating returning the hug, Sungmin pulled away and disappeared in the guestroom. Kyuhyun tried to tell himself he does absolutely not feel disappointed when he lied on his bed and covered himself to the very tip of his head, fully convinced that he was not going to fall asleep easily. Not with his heart racing like this, not when he knew the cause of it.

He tried anyway and as he closed his eyes, Sungmin’s face automatically popped out in his mind. The last thing he noticed before he slipped into unconsciousness, was the odd image of white feathers falling down behind Sungmin’s back.

He had never slept this peacefully ever before.

 

 

 

The plan was to: wake up as early as possible, wash up, make a breakfast, wake his guest up, eat the breakfast, take him to the nearest hospital, leave him there, come back and spend his Saturday how he was supposed to – gaming, listening to music and gaming some more. With breaks for eating that is. Quick and simple.

Too bad it failed from the very first point.

Kyuhyun had somehow had a really good sleep, he hadn’t woken up in the middle of the night even once, hadn’t tangled in his sheets, hadn’t fallen off the bed – surprisingly calm and quiet night. Too calm and quiet; so much that he didn’t actually hear his alarm going off, Donghae’s voice screaming “Wake up, Sunshine~!!!” full-volume at eight. (He hadn’t thought it was possible before. Well. People learn all their life.)

When he finally did wake up, it was ten forty-three and he had six missed calls and two unread messages which didn’t exactly make any effect on him, seeing as he was busy squinting his eyes at the awfully bright sunlight that dared to wade all its way into his bedroom, even though he clearly remembered having shut the blinds down the day before.

Feeling grumpy despite the beautiful weather, Kyuhyun quickly washed up and went downstairs (he had tiptoed as quietly as possible while passing the guestroom in hopes of not waking up his visitor) directing his steps into kitchen where he found said visitor sitting on one of the chairs - the one nearest to his window - and sipping his milk from a colorful glass, while looking at the view outside. From the looks of it, it wasn’t the first one. (An almost empty bottle could be enough proof to anyone really.)

Kyuhyun briefly wondered if it was possible to get drunk with milk. He cleared his throat.

“Oh, you woke up,” Sungmin smiled and waved his hand cheerfully when he noticed Kyuhyun’s presence in the kitchen. Kyuhyun muttered some reply that might have included words like ‘good morning to you too, my lovely Sungmin-ssi!’ but probably didn’t. Not that anyone could really tell.

Sungmin’s expression then changed into a sulking one. Then he pouted and looked up at Kyuhyun, the whole world’s unfairness clearly visible in his big eyes.

“Uh?” Okay fine, Kyuhyun had never been very communicative before his first morning coffee.

Sungmin’s pout deepened. “I take back what I said yesterday,” he said pitifully, throwing glances at the fridge standing across from his chair. “Being hungry isn’t fun AT ALL.”

Kyuhyun took a sip of his coffee and even managed to chuckle at the other’s adorableness. “You know, you should just make the food appear from nowhere with your angel magic skills or whatever.” He knew it was wrong to tease the crazy ones and make them believe in their craziness even more, but the offended look he received from Sungmin was totally worth it.

"I’m an angel, not a wizard if that’s what you think!” Sungmin crossed his arms, which in Kyuhyun’s opinion looked extremely hilarious when combined with his innocent face.

He hadn’t even noticed when all his thoughts of the other being potentially dangerous had vanished from his mind completely.

“Sure you are,” Kyuhyun grinned. “C’mon I’ll make us some breakfast. Then we’re going out for a walk.”

Sungmin could only nod enthusiastically, the already familiar cheerful glint back in his eyes.

 

 

 

They found themselves an hour later standing in front of the closed gates of Kyuhyun’s district hospital; Sungmin humming some unknown melody while Kyuhyun stared at the piece of paper unbelievingly.

Closed due to the celebration of the Medical Day?” He read aloud, failing to hear Sungmin’s amused giggle. “Are they even serious?”

“Seems like it,” the shorter boy chirped. “Hey, it’s a really awesome weather today, can we go eat some ice-cream? I want to try them so much!”

Kyuhyun nodded half-heartedly, his mind preoccupied with his own thoughts. What was he going to do with Sungmin now? He couldn’t just let him live in his house, he’d go insane himself and one madman is sure enough for such a small space as his house. (It was actually quite big, but Kyuhyun kept in mind how impossibly smaller it can get when his noona’s back and the house population suddenly rises to the two of them.)

“Uhm, one lemon, one chocolate, one orange, one vanilla, oh! And this one too, what flavor is it? Looks pretty. Don’t you have a milk-flavored ones?” Sungmin’s excited voice distracted Kyuhyun from his little mental battles and he frowned.

“Yah! I don’t have an entire bank of money to spend on your ice-creams!”

Sungmin spared him a little glance. “Did you realize that you frown so much more often than average people? You should smile more, Kyuhyun-ah, your smile can be pretty dazzling you know.” He turned back to the ice-cream lady. “And a cherry on top of it, please. I heard those are the most important part!”

The lady giggled at him.

“Hey, I told you something!” Kyuhyun said exasperated, making the lady look at him with discontent. “I’m not so rich to buy you this whole ice-cream stand!”

“You’re a terrible liar, I know your parents left you with quite a big inheritance, which can’t be spent only on games anymore, they’d turn over in their graves if they knew,” Sungmin stuck out his tongue playfully and took the huge dessert into his hands, leaving Kyuhyun no other choice than to pay the scary-looking woman who was by now standing there and tapping her foot into the ground impatiently.

“ing trickster…” murmured Kyuhyun when they seated themselves on the nearest bench, shadowed by a huge oak tree. “How did he even know about my parents and… Yeah,” he said louder suddenly, squinting his eyes at Sungmin. “That’s some valid question I got here actually. How did you know about my parents? And that they’re… That they passed away? Being Donghae’s stalker doesn’t really explain that one.”

Sungmin rolled his eyes. “Sheesh, how stubborn can you be?” He asked rhetorically. “I told you, I’m your guardian angel, of course I would know things like that about you. I’ve been there, saving your from the accident you know! You could show some gratitude.”

“There he goes with the angel talk again. Somebody help me!” Kyuhyun groaned to the air and Sungmin laughed out loud at his reaction.

They ate in silence after that, Sungmin immersed in watching people passing them by and Kyuhyun waiting for an inspiration. Or something.

Almost twenty minutes passed like that when Kyuhyun finally jumped up from his seat.

“I know!” He exclaimed and took out his phone. “Hangeng-ge? Are you busy today?”

 


Updating right after the midnight today, because I've made a promise to myself to not log in to AFF for the entire upcoming week (a.k.a the worst week from Hell in my whole studying-carreer). Yup, you guessed it. Exams time! Who's happy? ...No seriously, who's happy? Share with me please ;  ;

Hope you like this chap, a whole load of KyuMin in here :D

~love, puppysauruss ^-^v