Feather 6

Beautiful Stranger

 

This was without any doubt the longest Math class he had ever had in his whole life. Ever.

With Sungmin sitting two desks behind him he couldn’t make his mind focus on anything not related to the boy. And it was freaking irritating!

All he could think of was where had Sungmin been earlier? How did he manage to survive? How had he managed to escape Hangeng’s house in the first place? How was it possible that he appeared in Kyuhyun’s very class? Why did he almost reveal to everyone present that he’s a madman with hard case of delusional disorder or whatever the hell it was called? Why did Kyuhyun stop him? Why did he even care? (The last one was quite a frequent question in his mind recently.)

At the same time another part of his brain desperately wanted to give Sungmin a good punch. For everything.

(Thank God he didn’t tend to listen to that other part. To say it delicately – Kyuhyun was not exactly an athletic type of person. And Sungmin looked… buffy.)

He spent the remaining minutes of the class on cursing himself for making an idiot out of himself in front of the whole class (who happened to dislike him enough only because he hanged out with the two most popular guys in their school.) And cursing Sungmin, just because.

Bzzzt.

One unread text message from: HaeHyung.

‘Kyu baby! I heard you found someone~ Is he nice? Handsome? Cute? I gotta meet him!

Kyuhyun’s mouth dropped open. What the…? How did he get to know so fast? Uh, nevermind, he’d talk to him later and explain everything. Or… not really everything. (Not that the silly hyung wouldn’t believe him. He believed in aliens for mother’s sake.) He’ll think of something. For now he had to…

Bzzzt.

One unread text message from: BigFoot.

‘WHY HYUNG, WHYYYYYYY ____________________________

Oh. Well. That was… concise.

 

 

 

“What was that supposed to be?” Asked Kyuhyun angrily twenty minutes later – yes, he still wasn’t over the embarrassment he had to experience almost an hour earlier –  when he forcefully dragged Sungmin out of the girls’ claws (“We just wanted to get to know him… closer!”) and into the nearest empty space. Which turned out to be the janitor’s closet. Cliché much?

Sungmin blinked innocently. “What?”

“Did you really want to tell them you’re an angel?”

“Why? Do you believe me now?” The boy smiled happily, but in the same time something Kyuhyun couldn’t quite define danced in his eyes.

Kyuhyun tried to calm himself.

“No!” Without much success, obviously. “Do you think they would?! You can’t just wander around telling people you’re from heaven, for God’s—I mean, for mother’s sake! Do you have any idea what they would have done with you?! They’d have taken you and never let you go, they’d have thought you’re a bedlamite and they’d have…”

“…taken me to hospital? To a psychiatrist?”

Kyuhyun froze.

Ouch.

He had no idea what to say to that and so he just shut up, guilt and shame crawling all over him.

Sungmin smiled and patted his shoulder lightly. “Don’t worry, I’m not angry about that, Kyuhyun-ah. I kind of knew you were going to do this anyway.”

“Of course you did,” murmured Kyuhyun to himself.

“Don’t let it eat you up too much,” said Sungmin cheerfully. “You can show me your fantastic school instead! It’s huge, I never knew those buildings were so easy to get lost in. Like a labyrinth!”

Before Kyuhyun realized it, he was being pulled out of the closet and in the familiar direction of… “Stop!” He half-whispered half-shouted. Sungmin looked at him quizzically. “Ehhh, not this way, let’s better… Let’s better go there!” He pointed into the very opposite side of where they were heading now.

“Why? I can smell food from there, isn’t it where the cafeteria is?”

“Yes, but.” Kyuhyun glanced both ways while thinking of some excuse. “I mean, it’s not even a lunch break, there’s nothing interesting to do and…”

Sungmin pouted, not moving from his spot an inch.

“But I’m hungry, Kyuhyun-ah.”

 “We’ll eat something on the lunch break, like everyone else.”

“Doesn’t that mean that there’ll be a longer queue to stand in?” The boy tilted his head in confusion. He looked like he was being genuinely surprised that Kyuhyun didn’t agree with him. As if he was supposed to agree with him and Kyuhyun could admit that in normal circumstances, he most definitely would. But those were far from what he called ‘normal circumstances’.

“Please, Min-ah, let’s just go…” He whined stubbornly and three things happened at the same time.

First, Sungmin turned back abruptly, making Kyuhyun fall down from the sudden lack of resistance from the other. He then widened his eyes a little when he repeated Kyuhyun’s words with a small grin. “Min-ah?”

And thirdly, the thing Kyuhyun feared at the moment the most, finally happened as well, as he heard someone clearing his throat loudly behind his back.

“Yes, Kyuhyun hyung. ‘Min-ah’?

Kyuhyun slowly turned around and his shoulders shrunk automatically at the sight.

See, Choi Minho had earned his nickname as ‘Flaming Charisma’ for a reason. A reason which Kyuhyun kind of sort of knew about but never really had a chance to experience it himself. Well, up till now that is.

The younger stood in the middle of the hall with both his arms crossed on his chest. If a look could burn, then the whole school would have stood in an angry fire coming from  Minho’s narrowed eyes by now. His whole body seemed to vibrate from the pent up ire, from his big feet to his tensed shoulders; even his nostrils were quivering dangerously!

And the tone he used when he said Kyuhyun’s name… Which was weird in itself, because Minho hardly ever used his full name in general.

The time stopped as all of them stared at each other.

Finally, Kyuhyun noticed Donghae making some weird hand-movements from behind the angry boy.

“Oh, eee, Minho-ah… Hi.” He smiled nervously. “This… I… I mean, we… I mean, ugh…” His hand found Sungmin’s as he nodded to Donghae with understanding. Donghae readied himself. “We… We’regoingtobelateseeyoulaterbye!”

And he pulled Sungmin with him in a crazy run for their lives while Donghae threw himself onto Minho to tame the beast.

“Oh no!” Kyuhyun felt his leg being caught in a death grip. “You’re not going anywhere!”

They underestimated Minho’s strength, he realized when he lied on the floor helplessly. “Ouch.”

“Sorry Kyu baby, he’s too big,” Donghae pouted at the unfairness of the nature that had made him so short while getting up the floor and rubbing an aching spot on his arm.

“Never mind,” sighed Kyuhyun in defeat. It was a stupid idea anyway. Then he looked around. “Where’s Sungmin?”

“That cutie?” Donghae asked. “He was here just now…”

Kyuhyun groaned. “Don’t tell me he disappeared again!”

“Again?”

“Yes, I had been looking for him all day yesterday and I am so not going to go through this again,” he sulked.

“Eee, you might not need to,” said Minho after a short while of silence.

“Yah, he is not my boyfriend okay! I have no idea who spreads such bull rumors but…”

The younger shook his head. “No, I mean… Look!”

They both ignored Donghae’s disappointed ‘Not a boyfriend, Kyu-ah? Admit it, what did you screw up this time?’ as Kyuhyun finally directed his eyes where Minho was pointing to.

Sungmin stood at the end of the hall, in front of a vending machine and stared at its content intently with a small frown on his face. The boys watched as he took a step back, looked at the right side of the machine, then at the left one, knocked on it repeatedly and finally tilted his head and lifted his leg to kick it, when a heavy hand appeared on his shoulder.

“,” Kyuhyun cursed under his nose.

“Mr. Jung, I did not let you join our institution at the most inconvenient time of the year only to see you attempting to devastate school property.” The headmaster’s voice sounded just as solemn and pompous as Kyuhyun had remembered it. “I had been assured of your impeccable manners and outstanding academic performance, not of your deeply hidden urges to…”

“Sir!”

The man moved his eyes from Sungmin to the panting Kyuhyun (condition man, he needs to finally give in to Donghae’s advice and start working out with him). “Yes, Mr. Kim?”

“Cho,” corrected him Kyuhyun mechanically. “And… I think I just saw a couple of first years being bullied by Kangin and his friends.”

Headmaster frowned. “This fella, when will he ever learn?” Kyuhyun always found it amusing that Principle Park tended to lose his sublime ways of speaking when it came to their school’s biggest trouble maker. Not that it was his place to judge.

“Ehm. You are all dismissed. Go to your classes, the break is about to end.”

Minho and Donghae tried to stifle their laughter as the man hurried his way outside the school building.

“Kangin’s gonna kill you, Kyu Hyung,” grinned Minho, obviously without an ounce of worry.

Kyuhyun grinned back, thankful for the younger to be back and using his usual nickname for him. “Nah, I’m pretty sure that he’s in the middle of doing something illegal right now anyway, you know Kangin.”

“Besides, he’s going to be thrilled to be able to talk to his favorite teacher,” added Donghae with a laugh. Then he turned to Sungmin who went back to staring stubbornly at the vending machine. “You want something? Kyu baby why don’t you buy your friend what he wants?”

 

 

 

“So where have you been when you weren’t with me?” Asked Kyuhyun in much better mood couple of hours later when he and Sungmin were walking back to his house.

This was one of the rare times his friends let him go alone. Or not so alone, as Donghae didn’t fail to point out while wriggling his eyebrow suggestively before running off to meet his boyfriend on the football field where they sat down, cheering for Minho – the shining star of their team.

Neither Donghae nor Hyukjae were actually allowed to play themselves, after it came to light that it had been them who posted those photos of their teammates on the school web page. The decision had its advantages – such as, well, no more photos, no more stupid pranks on the coach, no more running extra laps just because the duo was being brats; and disadvantages – the most obvious one being the fact that they played simply better than the rest of their team combined together.

That is, until a certain Choi Minho decided he prefers running after a ball along with bunch of sweaty guys rather than making an idiot out of himself being the lead of their school drama club’s every year’s play that no one bothered to watch anyway.

So when Mr. Park kicked them out of the team, they hadn’t been crying… too much.

Sungmin rolled his eyes before responding to Kyuhyun.

“I told you, I never quite leave you alone.”

“That’s actually kind of creepy you know.” Kyuhyun pointed out to which Sungmin only grinned.

“Yeah, maybe, but if it weren’t for me, you would have been caught multiple times by your sister when you’re busy watching your... stuff on the laptop.”

Kyuhyun’s cheeks flushed red. “Yah!”

“Oh come on, I heard it’s normal for boys your age,” giggled Sungmin. “And if it weren’t for me, your friends wouldn’t have appeared on the school yard in time, that day when those big buffy guys were after you, and just about to hang you on—”

A horrified shriek escaped Kyuhyun’s mouth. “How did you…! I thought there was no one there! And Kangin promised to…”

“And you wouldn’t have found a flashlight in the library that time when you fell asleep there while studying,” continued Sungmin without hesitation, much to Kyuhyun’s horror. “You would have died of terror; I swear that was the first time I’d ever seen someone so terrified of the darkness.”

“There were some weird noises okay,” protested Kyuhyun loudly.

“And the janitor wouldn’t have found you in time when you were about to stick that gum on the handle of headmaster’s doors. You would have been grounded forever for that one, you know.”

“Okay, okay!” Kyuhyun cut the other’s tirade off. “I get it already – you’re a much more creepy stalker than I originally thought! Geez. I was only asking about this Sunday, not my whole lifetime…”

They stopped as they reached Kyuhyun’s house.

“You’re going to sleep here I suppose?” the owner of the house sighed defeated when Sungmin nodded his head vigorously. “I thought so. You know what, I’ll let you, why not. The house is big enough anyway. But under one condition – you have to tell me where you’ve been yesterday, I’m just dead curious about that!”

Sungmin yawned in response and threw himself onto the coach. “Oh look, it seems comfortable.”

“Hey, don’t change the topic.”

“But it does… And I’m so… sleepy… haven’t slept for… a long… time…”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at the small snore leaving Sungmin’s mouth. Yeah, he should have expected something like that.

He took a blanket and covered the other’s sleeping form. They can always talk later; he had a feeling that they’re going to spend a lot of time with each other now. Only he didn’t know whether it was good or bad.

Kyuhyun sighed, shook his head and took out his phone.

“Hangeng ge? Yes, it’s me. Yes. Ye—No, actually nope. I found him, or more like he found me or some other freaky thing like that… No. No, you can rest peacefully. I got him here and I, uh, I think I’ll just keep him. Since he claims to be my ‘angel’ and all…” Did Sungmin just smile in his dream or was he imagining things? “Yes, I know. I’ll call you if anything happens. Naah, don’t worry, I don’t think he’s going to escape again. Well, yup. Okay, hyung. Go to sleep. Bye!”

Now… Now it’s time to go to sleep as well. It had been a long day. A long weekend actually, and he deserved some extra hours of sleep… He’ll just… rest here for a little while.

Oh, Sungmin was right, he thought with the last bits of his quickly drifting away consciousness, the couch is really comfortable.

 


Mwahahaha, I managed to post in on Monday! >D To update you with my personal life (I know you want it :pp), tomorrow's the last of my exams this year and I'm free!! So happy!! ^____^

And hey, I think in the next chap the actual story finally begins? Or maybe the one after the next... I'm not sure but definitely soon :))

~love u all, puppysauruss ^-^v