Childhood Friends

Merry Go Round

Aron and I walked behind the group, our shoulders touching occasionally. We both stared down at the ground awkwardly, while as the jolly people in front of us joked and laughed as if there was no tomorrow. I would have loved to avoid Aron but unfortunately Yoobin and Baekho had persistently told me that this was the time to "catch up" with one another.

"Wow, it's been a while hasn't it?" Aron coughed and glanced at me, waiting for my response.

"Yeah..." I replied. Which hadn't helped him at all, since he was trying to get rid of the awkward atmosphere. While as I had only worsened it.

"Isn't it a coincidence that we're meeting like this?" He laughed, attempting to break the cold atmosphere once again. "Who would've known that we would have friends with a connection to each other."

I nodded and smiled a bit. To be honest, I only wanted to avoid him because I knew it would be like this. After all, it's been six years since the last time we met. But at the same time... It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

"I really miss the old days..." Aron mumbled to himself.

The old days... I repeated in my head and thought of the past.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun's rays scorched down on my family, Aron's, and Hwan Hui's. We were surrounded by a field of flowers and trees. Our parents had planned this trip for Hwan Hui's eigth birthday. The parents were pleasantly chatting while as the children were playing out in the flower field.

"Aron! Look, look, I caught a buttefly!" I exclaimed, cradling the buttefly and holding my hands up high. I ran to him with a smile as bright as the sun, accidently trampling on the flowers beneath my feet.

Aron who was crouched down trying to catch a bug himself, looked up and put his hands over his eyes. I stood in front of him and slowly opened my hands.

"Wait! Don't do that, the butterfly will escape!" He said, trying to stop me. But he was too late. It had already escaped and was still flying towards who-knows-where.

Hwan Hui who was next to Aron, frowned. "Idiot." 

"I-idiot!?" I said angerly. "Only idiots call people idiots!"

Hwan Hui scoffed and lowered her straw hat. "So immature."

I grabbed her white dress and started pulling it. "Stupid! Idiot! I hate you!"

"This is my new dress, if you ruin it you're going to pay for it!" She retorted and pulled it away from me.

"Shut up! New dress, or whatever... I don't care!" I said. We started playing tug of war with her dress. Since we were too weak to rip the dress it only stretched.

"Stop you two...!" Aron pleaded and tried pulling us away from another. Somehow, he ended up as the one we were tugging. We both clutched one of his arms and pulled with all our strength.

"Let go! You're going to hurt Aron!" Hwan Hui glared.

"What? How about you?" I retorted.

The parents came over and grabbed us. Hwan Hui's parents sighed.

"We're so sorry about this." They turned to Hwan Hui with stern gazes. "Hwan Hui, apologize."

"S..Sorry." Hwan Hui said wtih an insincere tone.

I smiled in triumph until I felt two pair of eyes glaring at me.

"Ah, no... We should be the sorry ones." My mom turned to me with a frown. "Jihyun... What do you say?"

"Please and thank you?" I said, feigning ignorance.

"Jihyun... Do we need to talk after this?" My mom threatened, I could've sworn that I saw fire in her eyes.

"I'm sorry!" I said immediately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Six more years pass.

Hwan Hui and I were still eternal rivals.

"Aron, I made this cake in foods. Want to try it?" Hwan Hui smiled. I pushed her out of the way and showed Aron my cake.

"This is cheesecake... Your favorite!" I had a plastic fork prepared and handed it to him.

"Thanks you two, it looks really good." He grabbed the fork from my hand, causing me to blush a bit. Hwan Hui glared at me intensely. Aron unwrapped the plastic cover on Hwan Hui's cake and took a bite. "Mm.. This is great."

"R-really?" Hwan Hui grinned. "You can have it all... If you want." This time it was my turn to glare at her. Aron, this time took the plastic wrap off of my cake. It was evident that he liked my cake more. "As expected from Jihyun... You're the best baker in the world!"

My face became a bright red. "I-I'm not that good." The bell rang and Hwan Hui scurried to the class. She grabbed Aron's hand and ran with him. In the process, she turned around and stuck her tounge out.

I pouted. "I wish I had homeroom class with them..."

After school Aron, Hwan Hui, and I went to the park.

"Aron this is a serious question." Hwan Hui crossed her arms together and looked at Aron. "Who do you like? Me or Jihyun?"

Aron blushed. "But... I like both of you, equally."

"You can't do that!" I joined in. "I'll change the question than. Who you do you like better?"

"I told you... I like both of you." Aron continued saying. "As friends."

"Who do like more than friends?" Hwan Hui questioned. She grabbed his hands and gazed at him seriously. Aron's face became a brighter red.

"Nevermind. If Aron doesn't want to say, he doesn't have to." I shrugged. "Sorry."

"But you want to know too, don't you?!" Hwan Hui frowned. "I'm disappointed in you."

Aron sighed in relief. Hwan Hui and Aron continued talking while as I only watched.

I already knew... Who he liked.

The girl who had superior grades, money, and power... She was always one step ahead of me, in looks too. Always number one... That was Park Hwan Hui.

Aron looked at his watch. "Crap, it's already this late?" I looked at him in confusion, what would he need to do at this time? I knew all of his schedules, including his dinnertime. Hwan Hui glanced at me to make sure that I didn't know either and then faced him in confusion. "I'll see you two later, bye!"

Aron was out of our sight and it was only me and Hwan Hui. We swung on the swings for a while and fought as always. After a while we were laughing at each other and putting dirt on each others faces.

"Should we walk home together?" Hwan Hui offered, she smiled gently at me. "It'd be dangerous to walk home alone this late at night."

I nodded. We brushed the dirt off of our clothes and faces and walked side by side together.

We were close to home, but I noticed a strange man wearing a trenchcoat following us.

"Hwan Hui." I whispered. "Look behind you, but don't be too obvious." I was scared and unsure. What if he wasn't a bad guy, and I was only misinterpreting it?

Hwan Hui looked behind me with widened eyes. "I've seen that man before... He's always hanging around my neighborhood."

"Should we run for it?" I asked and slightly looked behind us. He was still following us and was only getting closer and closer. Hwan Hui nodded her head. We ran as fast as we could, hand in hand.

The man began running as well. He caught up to us in no time and grabbed both of us. I struggled to get out of his grasp. Tears welled up in my eyes and I started shaking.

Hwan Hui kicked his shin, causing him to let go of me. "Run, now!" She screamed. Fear clouded my eyes, I could only see the exit. Freedom... The desire of staying alive. I wasn't able to think of anything else. I ran for it and left Hwan Hui behind.

While I was blindly running, I had remembered what day it was... Hwan Hui's birthday.

After that incident Hwan Hui's parents had blamed us because I was the only one safe. It was only to be expected, though. Since it was my fault...

Four more years pass and I'm in college, walking with Aron again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We were back at the dorms again and for the rest of the week I had stayed with Yoobin and her friends.

"Too bad we won't be roommates." Yoobin sighed. "But let's still hang out with each other, okay?"

Eh? We weren't going to be roommates?

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Where did you hear that from?"

"It happened when I was trying to get inside our dorm room and the construction was going on. The dormitory owner told me that you'd be staying with someone else." She replied. "I wonder why..."

"I don't know why either..." I said honestly. "I'll see you later, than."

I stood in front of the dorm room nervously. It was just like the first time I had entered the school, when I had been nervously anticipating my new roommate.

I opened the door and found myself looking at a larger and improved dorm room. Sitting on a bed on one side was a girl reading a magazine.

Wait... That isn't a girl.

It was Ren.


Everything was in Jihyun's POV for this chapter.