FIVE STEPS BEHIND

SOO CENTRIC ONE SHOTS ♥

 

 

Sooyoung's POV

 

 

 

It was late in the afternoon. I was at the groceries finding those flower scented moth balls my obsessive compulsive brother, Siwon, ordered me to buy. Being the oldest, he's got the right to command anything in the house while our parents are working abroad. But I hate that rule especially that twip. As I turn to another aisle, I noticed this cute girl with short blonde hair, looks a bit like 5 flat in height, wearing a denim jacket and skin tight jeans, reaching a pack of... eherm... napkins specifically with wings in the middle shelf. Well yeah, I was attracted but then, although her hands I must say were really quick, I saw how she was able to stuff it inside her shoulder bag without being caught by those wandering guards or even the CCTV cams. Thank goodness for my keen sense of sight I caught her red handed, saw rather. She then acted like she dropped a pack, turning to a crew for help.

 

 

 

 

"Some pretty girls do know how to act innocent." I said aloud with a smirk.

 

 

 

I decided to follow her just to make sure I'd see her changing her mind for the crime she did. I'll just tell Siwon they're out of stuck and his moth balls can wait, I thought. She walked like she's still searching for something while I secretly followed her from opposite aisles. She must've had enough walking so she went out passing through the alarm without a flaw. How great was that? No conscience of how she could steal something in a public place. And so I walked faster, thinking if I talk her out of that situation she might return it back.

 

 

 

"Yah." She didn't flinch. I tried calling her again.

 

 

"YAH. Height deprived girl." She quickly turned around with her brows about to meet.

 

"Yes, you." I stopped.

 

"What the hell do you want?" Someone looks guilty already.

 

"If I were you, I'd give that back." I said with my arms crossed.

 

"The  are you talking about?" She seemed more pissed. Is she some kind of a rebel?

 

"That thing hidden over there?" I pointed on her shoulder bag.

 

" off, okay?" She turned her back on me with her eyes rolling. I tried being nice but that girl was just getting on my nerves.

 

 

 

 

"YAH! Don't you turn your-UMPFT!"

 

 

 

 

She punched me. That midget just punched me really hard that I falter down on the concrete ground and my lower lip started bleeding. Some people gasped but no one dared to get close to us.

 

 

 

 

"GOD DAMN IT!" I shouted, wiping the blood on my lip. That smirk on her face was just downright insulting.

 

"Loser." That does it. She turned around and was about to leave when I stood up to catch up on her.

 

"My turn."

 

 

 

 

I held her shoulder, forcefully turning her to meet my fist. The impact was just as hard as hers making her fall as well. A cut was visible on the left side of her upper lip. She glared at me and was about to charge another punch when a loud piercing sound from a whistle was heard.

 

 

 

"Stop it!" An officer from the said grocery yelled running towards us.

 

"You two, come with me!" He held us both in our arms, dragging us to a nearby police station.

 

 

 

From those dang moth balls to that exasperating police encounter, what next? We sat across each other next to the chief while he, I guess, was sorting some files on his table. He breathed out before looking at us. He entwined his fingers while relaxing his creased brows.

 

 

 

"I'm gonna ask you both calmly and I only need to hear the truth." He took another deep breath. He must've been tired of asking every teenager why they keep on kicking each others' *sses everyday.

 

"Why did you punch her?" Shorty's brows furrowed while looking at me.

 

"She's pissing me off."

 

"Language." The chief pinched the bridge of his nose.

 

"She... kept bugging me." She said, looking away.

 

"Is that true, Miss?" He turned to me.

 

"No." Like, hell no.

 

 

"Then what triggered her to do that?”

 

 

 

 

I caught a glimpse of her face. I saw guilt and fear in her eyes while they were glued on the tiled floor. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Why am I doing this?

 

 

 

 

"She called me bloated face." I answered, looking at the chief. I sensed her looking at me as well.

 

"I just can't let her get through with such a disrespectful act." The chief arched a brow.

 

"Plus, it's my period so it's hard controlling my emotions." He might've face palmed himself mentally when I said that. He needed reasons though so I gave him one, a false one to save rebel shorty's *ss.

 

"Is she telling the truth?" He looked at her. She nervously bobbed her head.

 

 

 

After my solo interview, just to make it less unlawful, I didn't wait for her to finish so I took her bag placed on a table next to the chief's office. If she doesn't have any conscience left well, I still have lots of that.

 

 

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I went out and stayed at the right side of the station, hands on my pocket, searching for
that giant. There are no people around at that time. I remembered seeing Choi Sooyoung on a profile being read by that police officer next to mine. I just wanted to warn her never to cross my path ever again or she's dead. Speaking of her, she was then coming with a plastic bag on her right hand. The expression on her face gave me shivers, something I haven't felt for the longest time.

 

 

 

"I'm not gonna thank you if that's what you're expecting." I told her right away while I still had the guts to do so.

 

 

 

But she didn't stop her tracks. All of a sudden, she got me pinned on the wall without a word to say. It's a strange feeling that I felt back there. I don't know if I was scared or just badly intimidated but it's somewhere between those two that kept my heart pounding really fast. I looked up meeting her gaze. Her eyes were far more different than before. She moved her face closer to mine changing her course to my left ear.

 

 

 

"Please, stop whatever you're doing. I might be the least person who'd care but I don't want you to end up somewhere horrifying and lonely, if you know what I mean." She whispered then moved away, handing me the plastic bag. 

 

"And here..." She turned around then started walking.

 

"I paid for them so you're clean." I reached for my bag then looked at her.

 

"How did you..."

 

 

 

 

Sooyoung's POV

 

I got home in that evening pissed as I stared at the mirror in the living room with that busted lip. I went up to my room to get it cleaned. Of course I yelped. Even though it's small, it's as painful as hell proving that looks can be utterly deceiving. Like that girl, whoever that punk was. I sat on my bed touching my lip when my brother went in, again, without knocking. Why do I even doubt he'd do that?

 

 

 

"What the hell is that?" He pointed, obviously where and obviously disgusted.

 

"Oh I don't know, a bruise maybe or a hickey." I answered just to annoy him.

 

"Ew, gross." Sissy. Sulli peeked behind him smiling. It was replaced with a worried look as she went beside me to check it.

 

"Unnie-yah, be careful at least." She pouted. I smiled at my baby sister, tapping her cheek just to assure her that I was fine.

 

"That is why you're my favorite." From tap to a light pinch, making her giggle. I stood up to go down for a glass of water but wasn't able to because of that tall impediment, arm raised and rested on the side of the door case.

 

"You're my big brother and you're blocking my way." I said, annoyed.

 

"Take that back." Siwon looked up, lips curved.

 

"Take what back?"

 

"What you said about Sulli being your favorite."

 

"No." I answered flatly, pushing his arm away.

 

 

 

 

I got down leaving him grumbling and my favorite sibling chuckling. A sudden knock from the front door made me turn to the foyer to get it.

 

 

 

"Who is it?" I asked before opening the door and to my surprise, it was that punk that got me into trouble.

 

"I don't want any more of this." I said pointing on my lip. She grinned a bit, which was by the way, unexpected and shocking.

 

"Me either." She held up a paper bag.

 

"I just want to give you these… my form of apology not bribe or anything." It had baked cookies inside. I smiled because of her.

 

 

"You made these?" I asked.

 

"Bought them."

 

"How did you know our address?"

 

"I asked them about Choi Sooyoung." She pointed on those two almost identical girls standing at our gate. Yuri and Yoona, my ever so annoying classmates slash neighbors slash friends. I slapped my forehead seeing those two gossip twins again.

 

"God..." They were smiling widely like a couple of idiots. They never fail to disturb me.

 

"Shoo away, Twins!" I shouted at them.

 

"Come on! We can smell issue."

 

 

"Go!" They stuck their tongues out.

 

"Party Pooper!" Then left right away. Now, that's taken care of I'll go back to her.

 

"I'll be going." She grinned slightly and before she could even turn around, I grabbed her hand pulling her inside our house.

 

"No, you're not." I whispered grinning. Just as we got inside the living room, Sulli and Siwon were already seated at the sofa. Sulli turned her head to our direction.

 

"Unnie~" Her eyes shift to the person beside me.

 

"Who's that?" She asked. Siwon stood up followed by Sulli then walked towards us.

 

"Must be one of her-

 

 

 

 

I shoved a large piece just to shut his mouth up. Sulli squealed beside him seeing her favorite pastry.

 

 

 

"Ooh! Cookies!" I gave her the paper bag so she can enjoy then glared at Siwon to go somewhere else. He glared back pushing Sulli to our dining area with a cookie on . We sat down gradually as I turn my full body to her, smiling with my chin resting on my palm.

 

 

 

 

"So... I never really knew your name." She faced me then smiled back that gave a faster beating in my heart.

 

"Kim Taeyeon." That name. I pondered for a moment, crossing my arms.

 

"Huh... for a second there I thought you're the daughter of the famous British Mafia Kim." I chuckled lightly.

 

"I am." I faced her, my eyes bulged out.

 

"Holy sh-What?!" I quickly went to our bay window to close the curtains.

 

"D-D-Do they know you're here?! Are they... already outside?" I nervously lowered my voice then peeked in our front yard. She stood up laughing while I panicked. I kneeled in front of her as if I was begging for my life.

 

"I swear to God I am so sorry that I hit you!" She held my hands that were lifted up, pulling me to stand before I lose my dignity.

 

"It's fine. I'm really okay with it." Her lips were still curved.

 

"Most people hate it when they get hit in the face." I said, confused.

 

"Well, let's say you're the first one who managed to hit this pretty face." I chuckled.

 

"You're that confident of your pretty face?" I was left staring at her after that. Now that I think about it, she got me mesmerized all of a sudden.

 

"You are... prett-

 

 

 

The door slammed open as well as the windows with all these men in black suits barging, rolling on the floor with their guns pointing at me. I thought I was going to die at that time. Siwon and Sulli were forced to march until they got in the living room with two men pointing their rifles at their backs.

 

 

 

"What the heck's going on?" I asked, scared.

 

"Where's she?!" A man in a tuxedo came in, almost wanting to cry. He was kinda small, a bit chubby and his black shiny hair was combed neatly to the side. He looked at Taeyeon then run towards her with arms wide open.

 

"Taeyeon-ah!"

 

"God..." Taeyeon slapped her forehead. The man hugged her like he hadn't seen her for years.

 

"Oh, my Baby. I'm so worried about you!" He sobbed.

 

 

"Don't ever leave like that again, okay?" Taeyeon breathed out. He looked at me, his brows furrowing.

 

"Who are you?" He asked me. I could only swallow. All guns pointing closer to me.

 

 

"Stop it!" Taeyeon ran to my side. She held my hand tightly which made me more nervous.

 

"She's my friend." She said. The man raised his hand. It was a signal for all guns to be hidden back to their cases. All followed except that idiot beside him.

 

"Oh, that's a relief." He said smiling. He glared at the guy beside him.

 

"DROP IT." The guy trembled while keeping his gun back to his case.

 

 

 

Taeyeon's POV

 

"I am Johannes Kim, father of Kim Taeyeon and these are... uhh... my crew." Dad said. He was seated next to me while his men guarded the entire house.

 

"W-We know who you are." Sooyoung's brother forced a smile.

 

"Oh goodie. A friend of our daughter is a friend of ours. From now on, we are all comrades here." Dad smiled.

 

"Your Dad seem... pretty nice." Sooyoung whispered. We chuckled afterwards.

 

 

 

We had a little chat before saying our goodbyes. Sooyoung though, insisted for us to have a short walk. How could I say no to her? We talked happily but after some time, I grew annoyed knowing that Dad's men kept following us; some were even hiding in the bushes and trees.

 

 

 

"We can walk on our own." I shot them a warning, my always so scary glare that they've always hated. They all fled back to Dad just like that. I then heard Sooyoung laughing. I turned to her puzzled.

 

"What's so funny?" We continued to walk.

 

"We just met hours ago and it wasn't a really decent meeting between us and now, this is happening." I smiled seeing her okay with all that craziness.

 

"I hope you won't get scared and leave like they did to me." My heart throbbed painfully.

 

"Who?" I stared at my shoes.

 

"You runaway because of them?" I guess she got what I said.

 

"When everyone at school found out about whom I really was, even my friends, no one treated me the same." I sighed.

 

"Some were scared and others were just stuck-ups." I looked at her, smiling.

 

"But you're different. You're the least person to care but you still did and I thank you for that." She smiled in reply.

 

"Anytime."

 

 

 

 

I held her forearm to stop her. I pulled out a gift given to me by my Dad when I was a kid. When I was alone and scared the time my cruel mother took me away from him. It was the only thing keeping me safe as it reminded me that Dad will get me out of that sad place. He did come and from then on, he's always five steps behind when I need him.

 

 

 

"Here…" I pinned it on her shirt, on the left side of her chest.

 

"What's this?" She stared at it. It was a gold coated emblem. It had a symbol of a hawk with its wings spread.

 

"An emblem to remind you that I'm always five steps behind when you're feeling scared." It was a phrase I never thought I'd say to someone.

 

"Wait, so we won't be seeing each other again?" She seemed upset.

 

"Only for a week." She quickly pulled me for a hug. I hugged back just to remember her embrace while I go back to Great Britain, while I'm miles away from my new and very special friend.

 

 

 

Sooyoung's POV

 

"Why can't we just eat at our house?" I complained to Siwon. We were on our way to get dinner at a fancy restaurant that night.

"Because I have money and we can eat a lot outside." He bragged. Ughh, my cocky beloved brother. Sulli tugged my sleeve, grinning.

 

 

"I'll just get a soda." She said pointing at a vending machine in a dark corner.

 

"Be back right away." I told her.

 

 

 

 

I stood there watching my sister run. I breathed out. I couldn't get her out of my mind for so many weeks. I thought I'd only wait for a week but it kept getting longer and longer until the idea of her never coming back occurred to me. I took the emblem out of my pocket and stared at it.

 

 

 

"You miss her, don't you?" Siwon nudged me.

 

"Yeah..." He placed his hand on my shoulder. Although he's a jerk most of the time, he can be really caring like how a big brother should be at times like this.

 

"It's been months, where could she be?"

 

"Don't touch me!" Sulli shouted. Three guys were ganging up on her. My blood boiled and so we wasted no time to save her.

 

"Sulli!" The bald guy turned to my direction. Sulli grabbed the chance to run to where we were.

 

"Yah!" Siwon was about to punch the guy in a hoodie.

 

"Don't you dare touch my-

 

 

 

But that guy's reflexes were built to fight. He landed his fist first to his delicate face, turning his body 360 degrees. Well, at least my brother tried.

 

 

 

"That hurts." He pointed then collapsed.

 

"Why can't you ever use your muscles?" I groaned. They laughed loudly walking closer to us. I pulled Sulli behind me.

 

"Three against two..." The bald ugly one smirked.

 

 

"We'll be a little easy if you want." The other guy took out a knife.

 

"Not on my watch." I rolled my sleeves up.

 

 

 

I told Sulli to run as fast as she could and find something she could use to defend herself. The bald guy swung his knife towards me but I easily dodged it as well as those punches the other guy kept throwing. I managed to kick them in some parts of their bodies to cause a delay before they charge another assault. I checked on Sulli from afar for a bit. Seeing her struggling to hit the guy in a hoodie with a crowbar, I lost my focus forgetting those two that I had to take care of. I didn't see it coming, that punch I meant causing my upper lip to bleed. I kneeled down and was about to get hit again when their member was heard crying in pain. I turned to where they were and saw Sulli with her hands covering , the guy hugging his bleeding knee. Then this girl with her hands in her pockets slowly walked towards us. She stopped under a lamp post that wasn't working. I wanted to be sure but I didn't want to assume.

 

 

 

"Who dares to step in my territory without permission?" Nevertheless I didn't even have to assume or imagine. She really did come back.

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon's POV

 

"Another little girl." The two jeered, turning their whole attention to me. I had to buy some time for Sulli to be able to call my Dad.

 

"Such a cute face to be seen in this dump. Might as well join our-ACK." I grabbed his neck for a mild choke. I pushed him off, glaring at his sick face.

 

" off." The bald one tried to punch me but that dumb*ss was just so stupid to be accurate. In a matter of seconds they were down and helpless. I grabbed the bald guy's shirt enraged.

 

"How dare you lay a hand on her face?!" Then threw him back at the ground.

 

"Wimps." I muttered.

 

 

 

Sulli ran back and immediately helped her sister to stand up. I looked at her and saw that blood drying up from to her chin. I walked to go to her, taking my hankie out. My heart kept hurting seeing her like that.

 

 

 

"Are you two okay?" I asked. Sulli worriedly looked at Sooyoung who still grappled to smile at me in spite of her pain.

 

"Yeah." She answered making me grin.

 

"B*tches!" I turned around and saw the guy I beat up with a crowbar pointing a gun at me.

 

"Taeyeon!" Sooyoung shouted. I was in her embrace all of a sudden.

 

 

 

A loud gunshot was then heard all over the place.

 

 

 

 

I looked up meeting Sooyoung's eyes. She didn't seem to be in pain. Even those other *******s covered their heads. We turned to the guy who was then shaking with his hands up. He dropped his gun, turning his head behind. A gun was already pointed on his forehead.

 

 

 

"Did you just point a gun on my precious daughter?" It was Dad.

 

"Holy sh-RUN!" The guy shouted. They all scrammed away crying.

 

 

 

I looked back at Sooyoung who's still holding me, her eyes glued only to me and that grin saying she's glad or something. I suddenly felt shy while she's staring at me like that. I liked it somehow but my heart just kept beating faster and faster. Dad's men came back with those three maniacs tied. It gave me a reason to let go before my face could explode.

 

 

 

Sooyoung's POV

 

"Thank you so much, Mr. Kim." We bowed down. He gave me a pat on my head, smiling.

 

"Such a cute child. Anytime for your family." I smiled back. I checked my siblings first hand. Siwon's fine though with Sulli taking care of him.

 

"Your brother looks bad." Taeyeon appeared by my side.

 

"He  at fist fights." We chuckled.

 

"But he's still cool." We started walking but not too far away from them.

 

"Those three should be sent to jail." I said.

 

"Dad's already got it."

 

"He's not gonna kill them, right?" I asked worried.

 

"He has greater ways of torturing people." I could imagine horrible things her Dad can do to those people. A kiss was then planted on my cheek. My face quickly turned hot.

 

"What was that for?" I faced her.

 

"For being stupid." Her arms were hidden at her back.

 

"Huh?"

 

"You were dumb enough to catch a bullet for me."

 

"You saved me first. And that bad guy didn't have the chance to pull the trigger."

 

"Even so, you could've been the one who got shot not me." I grinned, moving my face closer to hers.

 

"You worried?" I teased but rather being teased back, she pulled me for a tight hug that shocked me.

 

"Yes. I've never been this worried before." It made me giddy yet more nervous.

 

"I care about you, Sooyoung."

 

 

 

She let go. She was about to form a frown when I pushed her cheeks up to form a smile on her lips. I gently kissed her nose just to let her know how much I care about her as well. The smile was stuck on her face as well as mine.

 

 

 

 

"No frowning from now on." We giggled afterwards with our fingers entwined.



 

 

-The End-