Silently Loving You

How Will You Ever See Me

 

Every day is a never ending routine. I wake up early, eat my breakfast, prepare myself, go to school, go home, and sleep. It sounds boring right? Well, I have boring life, even my hobbies are quite boring such as watching movies all alone, take pictures, reading books, and oh well that’s all. I never have the courage to mingle with other people; it’s just that I don’t fit in. I don’t mind about it though, until I saw her. Well, that’s the proper word to say because to her I’m just a nobody and I don’t exist. I won’t be surprised that she doesn’t know that I even exist or I’m always looking at her and smiling to myself because of her.

 

It’s been a year since I have been crushing on her but she did not even look at me not once! Yeah, yeah, who’s stupid to even dare to talk to a nerd right? Well, except my weird best friend who happens to be one of the popular kids here at my school. Some people think that I’m not worthy to be his friend but he doesn’t care. We practically grew up together and he always sticks out for me, which is great because no one dared to make fun of me or bully me.

 

“Ya Lun! Where have you been? I’m looking for you everywhere!” my ever exaggerated friend told me. His name is Jiro.

 

“To the library, where else?” I replied.

 

“Aish! Stop going to the library for once, that’s why people call you a nerd” he said to me as he messes my hair.

 

“For your information, I am a N.E.R.D” I told him and walked away.

 

“Oh come on buddy! Let’s just grab some snacks and chill out” he said to me but before I could react he’s already dragging me to the school cafeteria.

 

“Ei Ya Lun, your crush is over there” he whispered at me. He is the only one that knew I have a crush on her and I with his big mouth I’m surprised that he never told anyone about it which makes me feel so relieved and happy at the same time.

 

“She’s so pretty. I wonder how it feels to touch her hand” I blurted out as I peek at her from my book. Yes, I’m reading even when I’m eating that’s a nerd should do right?

 

“Make a move Ya Lun. She’s coming our way” Jiro nudged me but this does not give me any strength to go near her, moreover to talk to her.

 

“Stop it Jiro. I’m happy just by looking at her. I don’t want to make a fool out myself” I replied but keep staring at her. Suddenly one of the popular guys came to her, Danson. The ultimate playboy.

 

“I wish she will not go out with him. Anyone but not him” I said as I look at them having a conversation.

 

“Aish! Nothing will happen if you will just look at her. I heard that Danson really likes her and even follows her in almost every place that she goes” Jiro said nonchalantly, and bites his hamburger.

 

“What can I do?!! She’s the school’s princess for goodness sake! And I’m a nerd. I can never be with her” I told Jiro and closed my book. I’m pissed right now, not at Jiro but at myself because I cannot do anything to make her mine. I thought for a while stared at my reflection on the stainless table. I’m ugly really ugly. Thick framed eye glasses, braces, and of course my ugly face. Ugh! I hate myself.

 

“I don’t know” Jiro answered back and giggled. This guy is really ridiculous, how can he giggle when he can see that I’m in a life and death situation. Well, I’m just exaggerating but I don’t really know what to do.

 

“What should I do Jiro?” I asked without looking at him. I’m still staring at my ugly reflection on our table, but he did not respond. He’s really getting on my nerves. Why did I ever have a friend like him? We’re totally opposite!

 

“Jiro?” I said to his as I lift up my gaze and when I finally did I froze.

 

“Classmate Yan, you love to read Harry Potter?” the love of my life asked me. I want to answer back but I can’t seem to talk and I just nod at her. Great! First time in my life that she noticed me and here I am, making a fool out of myself and acting like a jerk.

 

“Really?” she asked once again and smiled. I stared at her making myself memorize her wonderful features until one of her friends talked.

 

“Are you really going to spend some time with that NERD?” Apple said sarcastically while expressing the latter word. I heard them laugh except my wonderful princess and I also notice one of them did not laugh and looked sorry at me, but I looked down realizing that how stupid I am talking to her.

 

“I’m sorry classmate Yan for my friend’s attitude” she said to me and bowed down. My eyes grew wide with what she’s done and out of panic I stand up and held her shoulders to make her stand straight.

 

“You don’t have to bow down. I’m fine, I’m used to it” I said and pulled away from her immediately not realizing what I just did. I heard some gasps and even received death glares from people around me.

 

“Yah! Who do you think you are to touch my girl?” Danson shouted at me and I saw some of the students look at me with a disgusted expression and some with pity in their eyes.

 

“I—I’m sorry. I did not mean to” I hurriedly bowed down and Jiro pulled me up while giving me a what-the-hell-are-you-bowing-for look.

 

“You! Get away from here before I smash your girly face!” Jiro hissed while I held his arm tightly. He’s very protective of me because he treats me like his own brother even though we are not blood related. That’s why he always gets into fights and troubles because of me, he’s always defending me.

 

“Danson, can you please go away. And to settle it straight, I’m not your girl nor anyone’s” she said to that playboy and I swear I saw Danson glared at me with hatred in his eyes before he went away and go to his group. I sighed as my heart started to beat fast and slowly going to normal again.

 

“Classmate Yan, I’m sorry for the trouble” she said and gave me a warm smile. She started to walk away and I sat down and looked down on the floor trying to hide my embarrassment. Now she will never talk to me again, I said to myself. I keep on sighing until a soft hand touched my chin and lifted my face, making me face the person in front of me.

 

“I—Is there so—something wrong?” I stammered and started to sweat beads. Who would not be? This is like my dream come true. My long time crush is right in front of me and touching my face! Not only she talked to me but now touching my nerdy face.

 

“Do I look bad for you to make that horrible expression of yours?” she asked me in a serious tone.

 

“N—No! I’m sorry, I just can’t help it. I’m ugly” I said in a low tone and looked away.

 

“I’m just kidding and you are not ugly. You know you should smile always because you look good when you smile” she said to me and walks away, but after a few steps she looked back at the stunned me.

 

“I hope I can borrow some of your Harry Potter books, I’m also a fan” she said and laughed harmoniously.

 

“Y—Yeah” is all I could answer not wanting to believe what just happened.

 

“How I can she be so kind?” I mumbled out of consciousness.

 

“Because she is naturally kind and you are one lucky bastard to make her talk to you” Jiro said to me with excitement in his tone.

 

“Yah! Don’t call me a bastard!” I said to him and blushed.

 

“Ohh! My best friend Ya Lun is in love and he’s blushing” he teased me which made him gain a smack on his head.

 

“Ouch! No need to be harsh! You know nerds are supposed to be good and they don’t smack people” he blurted out and laughed teasingly.

 

“Aish! Why did I ever have a goofball like you as a friend” I said out of irritation and rolled my eyes. Jiro just laughed at me. We usually don’t fight even sometimes we are quite insulting one another, well, that’s how people say about it but to us it is just a mere joke. And I am this straight forward only to Jiro and not anyone else at my school because I know they might get offended and make my life miserable.

 

“Remember little Lun-Lun, you will never find a devoted friend like me” he said to me and smiled teasingly.

 

“Yeah right, like I didn’t know” I replied and started to read my book once again, right on the last page I’ve read.

 

Will she ever talk to me again? I thought to myself and smiled with the anticipation. And even she didn’t I’m still happy that I was given a chance to talk to her even once.