Three: Freedom Woods

CRIMSON OCEAN

'Shan... Where are we now?" I asked, mind full of doubts and questions. "Is this Freedom Forest? Or is it Freedom Woods?"

"Freedom Woods. It's a pretty small forest. I'm sure we can find the baby in no time." Shan responded. She looked around cautiously, watching out for any predators like an ant.  She took out a pair of black leather fingerless gloves and quickly wears them. She then clapped her hands thrice and closed her eyes for two seconds. "Watch my back. I need to re-charge." 

"Re-charge? What recharge?" I asked anxiously.

"Electrical energy, of course. In case we meet any Oceaners or monsters. We need to be prepared." She flashed her fingers to me proudly and electric sparks were around them. I am completely in awe. It was like, I felt excitment and at the same time, a mix of fear. I just can't believe what I've seen today. It was too much for me to absorb it in. 

"Who are Oceaners?" I asked to distract myself away from all the thoughts.

"Well, they're from the Blue World. Anyway you said you don't belong here... We're in the red world. We're crimsoners. What makes the Oceans and Crimsons different? Hmm besides physically, their noticeable blue eyes....." I see a figure. 

Is it a shadow?

Should I warn Shan? 

Am I being paranoid?

Is this normal?

The dark figure was approaching nearer and nearer, i noticed that it was a male.... looking amateur. For some reasons, he is not scaring me in any way. His eyes was widening with madness. I went to observe his features as he slowly creeps up, does he think that he cannot be seen? Daft. Soon, I realised that he has bloodshot red eyes with a small fire that seemed like dancing demons. Is he of the fire element? As Shan still explains, I pretended to listen and continued observing the man. Is he from the Ocean? 

"Shan!" I yelled. "Behind you!" As the man runs up to Shan, wanting to attack her. He was soon under the bright lights of the sun and I could see him all clearly now. He has navy blue hair and a ocean blue wristlet around his arm that was flashing continuously. He dropped a black sack and flashed his palms at Shan who seemed scared, but still wanting to attack back. The fire on his palms grew larger and what seemed like a mini flamethrower has hit Shan's arm who then fell on her knees. She shrieked in horror, got up, and waved her hands around the air for a little with a nonchalent and serious expression. That expression does not look good, that man is screwed, I thought, as I stood beside, not knowing what to do. Soon, Shan closed her eyes with her arms in the air. The man ran towards her like a staving cat who hasn't eaten for years, wanting to attack with his fiery palms again. 

'Shan! Watch out!" I yelled in horror. The next moment was absolutely breath taking. Shan opened her eyes and it was glossy, lightening yellow. It had a tinge of terror in it. She then pointed her fingers up at the sky and immediately, a frightening thunder clap was heard. A gust of wind also blew past and it blew the man backwards, causing him to fall on his bum. 

"I, Shan, do not tolerate thieves and people from the blue world!" She yelled with her frightening eyes with a burning yellow colour. She then pointed her hands at the man and a lightning bolt from the sky was sent down and hit the man straight in the torso. She blinked and her eyes were back to normal. The man, unconscious on the ground, whom I thought was dead, immediately had endless dark blue rays from the ground to the sky surrounding him. A bell-like 'sshhch' sound was heard and soon, the opaque blue magical rays became solid. After about two seconds, the rays were gone.... Bringing the man along. 

"What has become of the man?" I asked in horror, jaw dropped. 

"He was sent back to the blue world!" Giggled Shan.

How can she still be giggling?

"So, you've seen my powers. That was a thunderbolt! How was it! The Oceaner tried to attack me with a puny ember." Shan chuckled, with her puppy eyes full of excitment for my comment, picking up the black sack the man has dropped. "Oxnor... Vinson berries!" 

"Wow.... Great." I responded, still taken aback.

"Hey, do you hear cries?" Shan suddenly asked

Sure enough,I hear a high boy baby-ish voice crying. The kid!

Shan and I ran followed the crying sound and for the fifth time, we were led to a dead end. 

"Sorry about that. It happens often." Shan said, smiling.

I see a bird, no larger than me coming towards me. It as beige coloured feathers with black pearl eyes. It's what seemed like hair on its head was combed backwards majestically. It had red and yellow strips of it. Maybe, maybe he knows where the kid fell into! Excited, I ran towards it. "Have you maybe seen a kid around here in this forest?" I asked, panting and smiling. I wanted to hug the bird so badly.

All of a sudden and unexpectedly, the bird attacked me with a tackle. I just had a few scratches, nothing major. 

"Owwww! What'd you do that for?!" I groaned 

"Jan, attack! It's attacking you!" Shan yelled, running towards my rescue

"But I can't! I don't have powers!"

"Yes you do!! Try concentrating and pointing one of your palms at it!" 

I followed Shan's instructions and began to concentrate, deep in thought. In the quick process but what felt like hours or concentration process, I felt a gush of water rushing towards my palm that was facing up. Soon, strong, violent rotating  water came out through my skin on the palms and smacked right in the middle of the monster's face. The bird flew away, leaving a fruit berry-like item behind. Shan picked the berry up and ate it. Taken aback, my eyes widened and I fell backwards. I looked into my palms with amazement, I can't believe I just did that!

"Mmmm, Oxnor berries, my favourite! Awesome water gun there! Told you you could do it." Shan clapped after.

"Oxnor berries......?" I asked, puzzled.

"They restore one's health quickly and tastes pretty good, too." Shan responded. Popping the small bit of the berry into my mouth, "here, try it!"

"Mmmmmm" Shan wasn't lying about the berry tasting good! Distracted, we forgot where we were at - a forest full of monsters. Unexpectedly, I felt a tackle behind while Shan was still indulging in the Oxnor berries. "I can handle this." Again, I re-capped the instructions and this time with more effort, confidence and concentration. "Ouch!" I got pecked by the same species of monster, only slightly larger. Ignoring the small cut, I pointed both my palms at it and fell into a deep concentration. A larger, more violent rotating and roaring trail of water emerged through my skin blasted the bird away deep in the forest. I kissed my palms with pride. I'm getting used to this water element thingy. I wonder what else I can do?

"Not bad Jan!" Shan smirked.

Shan and I continued searching and sure enough, we found the kid huddled in a corner, He was so adorable I couldn't help but to pick him up and comfort him immediately. "Did you come looking for me?" It asked innocently. 

"We came to rescue you." Shan said. "Your mummy's waiting."

"Let's go." I smiled, exhausted and perspiring.